365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Vegas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vegas?

Post  pattyspangs on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:32 am

So I am doing Vegas Marathon on 12/4. Has anyone raced the Vegas course since they revamped it (I think last year)? Would appreciate any thoughts on whether altitude affected you or how you perceived the course profile in terms of elevation changes. Course looks pretty flat but it is at about 2000 ft. I run in Chicago, so I am gaining about 1500 ft in elevation. Thanks very much.
pattyspangs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Vegas?

Post  pattyspangs on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:43 am

This appears to be the elevation for the course this year: http://www.mapmyrun.com/s/routes/view/run-jog-map/nevada/las-vegas/55721750 Seems to go downhill for 11-20, which I guess is a plus.

pattyspangs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:44 am

I don't find the altitude effects me at all, but I live here. Smile I haven't run this course as much before, but I'm a little familiar with the area. As far as elevation changes, it is sneaky hilly. When you are running west, that's a gradual uphill with some slightly steeper sections. The good news is that the hilliest part is the first half of the course. When you get to the Strip, it's down hill as you go north (miles 13-20 or so), but you have a slight (but nowhere near as much as the first half) uphill grade to the finish. The hills on the course aren't bad, but don't be thinking that it's a pancake of a course. I grew up in the Midwest, and have never found being at 2100' to be any kind hindrance to my running. The air is different here because it's dry, but some people like it, others hate it.

In any case, if you decide to run, I hope it's a good experience for you.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:07 am

Elevation is a non-issue. The marathon course is basically a reverse of last year (if I read it correctly). The first half will be in blah-land... nothing exciting... but finishes on the strip. In previous years we started down the strip in the 1st half and the 2nd half was blah-land... so that should be good! It's also a late start, so you can sleep in and party the night before and after the race!!!

The only negative I see is that the full marathon rejoins the half... and that's usually a cluster-f*ck... still, it's Vegas, baby!!!

Have fun!

Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pattyspangs on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:25 am

Matt W wrote:
I don't find the altitude effects me at all, but I live here. Smile I haven't run this course as much before, but I'm a little familiar with the area. As far as elevation changes, it is sneaky hilly. When you are running west, that's a gradual uphill with some slightly steeper sections. The good news is that the hilliest part is the first half of the course. When you get to the Strip, it's down hill as you go north (miles 13-20 or so), but you have a slight (but nowhere near as much as the first half) uphill grade to the finish. The hills on the course aren't bad, but don't be thinking that it's a pancake of a course. I grew up in the Midwest, and have never found being at 2100' to be any kind hindrance to my running. The air is different here because it's dry, but some people like it, others hate it.

In any case, if you decide to run, I hope it's a good experience for you.

Thanks! Yeh, I think the dry air will be a plus for me. I am definitely running! Should be fun!
pattyspangs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pattyspangs on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:27 am

Mr MattM wrote:Elevation is a non-issue. The marathon course is basically a reverse of last year (if I read it correctly). The first half will be in blah-land... nothing exciting... but finishes on the strip. In previous years we started down the strip in the 1st half and the 2nd half was blah-land... so that should be good! It's also a late start, so you can sleep in and party the night before and after the race!!!

The only negative I see is that the full marathon rejoins the half... and that's usually a cluster-f*ck... still, it's Vegas, baby!!!

Have fun!

They are starting the half later so I think we are going to run into them, which sucks. Thanks for the comments. Should be fun!
pattyspangs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Pat when I ran the Phoenix half, I noticed the dry air. Kind of burned my throat a little, but I doubt it impacted my performance.

Hal used to use 5,000 feet of elevation as the rule of thumb for negative effect. But I have no idea what that's based on...if anything at all.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 am

The low humidity will be more noticeable than the elevation, which won't be noticeable.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 am

I've run St. George and Valley of Fire (NV) and had no issues with elevation at all. Now, I do live in Atlanta which is at 1100' Wink . I thought the dry air was tougher in NV, but it rained at St. George, so no issue there at all.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:56 pm

ounce wrote:The low humidity will be more noticeable than the elevation, which won't be noticeable.

I would think this as well. Really, really dry.

On the running front, the Wynn and the Palazzo both have nice treadmills.
healdgator
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top