365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buck-O-Nine

+22
wheakory
MartinD
ounce
JohnP
Ben Z
Peg Coover
Dave P
mul21
Matt W
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
Nick Morris
pigoo
Diego
Jerry
Seth Harrison
KBFitz
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
Chris M
healdgator
Dave-O
26 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Buck-O-Nine - Page 3 Empty Re: Buck-O-Nine

Post  Chris M Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Nice 3x2. I'm due for one of those soon. Put one in for me sometime in January, boss. What are the big New Year's Eve plans?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:46 pm

JohnP wrote:I would give up on the yoga, it's clearly not happening. The value for the time investment is shaky anyway.

I can't toss it away just yet. It won't happen this week either (more holiday parties) but I think after the new year I can cram it in. When my mileage drops to 80-90 for six weeks of speed cycle, I will definitely do it (knock on wood).

Chris M wrote:Nice 3x2. I'm due for one of those soon. Put one in for me sometime in January, boss. What are the big New Year's Eve plans?

I have a feeling you're going to like our NYE plans: Alkaline Trio is playing a 21+ show at the Metro, capacity of 1,000, starting at 10:00 pm. I'm giddy. Then the Bulls' home opener is Sunday night. BIG weekend ahead!

What you have planned?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:25 am

JohnP wrote:I would give up on the yoga, it's clearly not happening. The value for the time investment is shaky anyway.

Couldn't disagree with this more. It's a great stability/strengthen/stretch workout and really tends to work the weak spots in a runner's body. You do, however, have to do it regularly to reap the benefits.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Chris M wrote:Nice 3x2. I'm due for one of those soon. Put one in for me sometime in January, boss. What are the big New Year's Eve plans?

I have a feeling you're going to like our NYE plans: Alkaline Trio is playing a 21+ show at the Metro, capacity of 1,000, starting at 10:00 pm. I'm giddy. Then the Bulls' home opener is Sunday night. BIG weekend ahead!

What you have planned?
[/quote]

WOW!!!!!!!!!

I knows this sounds (well, is) dorky but keep track of what they play and let me know afterwards. That sounds so awesome. Hmm, our plans are pretty lame by comparsion! Just getting together with family and probably doing a combination of drinking, chowing down and playing Wii. We'll make it to midnight but probably not much beyond.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:15 am

[quote="Chris M"]

What you have planned?

WOW!!!!!!!!!

I knows this sounds (well, is) dorky but keep track of what they play and let me know afterwards. That sounds so awesome. Hmm, our plans are pretty lame by comparsion! Just getting together with family and probably doing a combination of drinking, chowing down and playing Wii. We'll make it to midnight but probably not much beyond.

What's so dorky about that Chris? Hell I still have notebooks filled with setlist of Dead shows and other concerts going back to my first Dead show when I was 7 back in 1978. Ok maybe I just clarified the fact that I'm a true Dork.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:31 am

Schuey wrote: What's so dorky about that Chris? Hell I still have notebooks filled with setlist of Dead shows and other concerts going back to my first Dead show when I was 7 back in 1978. Ok maybe I just clarified the fact that I'm a true Dork.

Acknowledgement of the problem is the first true step to recovery. Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Happy New Year, Dave!

Question 1 of 2012, Lunar Spider R2 vs Lunar Racer, do they have the same amount of cushion?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Chris M wrote:

It wasn't a usual show. They came on at 11:30 and ripped through about 6 songs, of which I remember - This Could Be Love, Private Eye, Bleeder, and I Lied My Face Off. Then they did a midnight toast and chilled for a few minutes drinking champagne.

Then at 12:01 they played the entire Maybe I'll Catch Fire record start to finish. That's probably the record they play the least of so I loved it. Ending the set with Radio at like 1:00 am, drunken crowd singing along like crazy, was the highlight for me.

The encore had 6 songs, I believe. I remember My Friend Peter, Cooking Wine, and Armageddon. Then they closed with Hell Yes. The only criticism I have is no '97. That's the one Alkaline song that is a must for me at every show.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Jerry wrote:Happy New Year, Dave!

Question 1 of 2012, Lunar Spider R2 vs Lunar Racer, do they have the same amount of cushion?

I haven't worn the R2, but the answer is Lunar Racer. Even the Lunar 1 is 2-3 ounces heavier than the Lunar Spider. The Spider is pretty minimal, very much a racing flat.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Training Week 4: December 26 – January 1

Monday: 6 miles – untimed. I didn’t mention it last week, but my back has been bothering me a little bit. With a history of back spasms, I wasn’t surprised when they surfaced this afternoon. I thought about risking the second run of the day, but I decided to play it conservatively instead – which meant a muscle relaxant, a glass of wine, and a great night of sleep.

Tuesday: 5 miles – 37:11, 7:26 pace. 12 miles – 1:20:53, with 6 x hill repeats + 2 x 800m. Since I’d been spasm-free for 24 hours, I stuck with my planned hill workout tonight. My back held up fine, but holy shit, I forgot how much half mile repeats at 5% incline suck. I mean, really really suck. So much so that on repeats 5 and 6 I had to lower the incline to 4% and 3%. My quads were toast. On the bright side, I tossed on 2 x 800m at 5:00 pace and it felt downright easy. Can you guess the type of terrain I more frequently run on?

Wednesday: 6 miles – 44:39, 7:26. 14 miles – 1:32:59, 6:38 pace. What’s that? Could it really be? A southern wind? You have no idea how big of a difference that makes on my mid-week long run route. Although only 7 miles are due north, those 7 are along the lake, and having to run them into a headwind in the winter is brutal. With the wind at my back, I cruised along with a smile on my face.

Thursday: 5 miles – untimed. 7 miles – 51:06, 7:18 pace. This seems like as good of time as any to mention I barely squeaked out 4,000 miles this year. Damn hip injury cost me a few hundred in the spring, and as a result, 2011 will my first year since I started running that I didn’t increase my mileage. (~1,300, 1,631, 2,555, 3,426, 3,900, 4,227, and 4,381). A decrease in mileage plus not a single PR results in grading out 2011 with a D.

Friday: 4 miles – untimed. 11 miles – 1:10:44, with 5 mile tempo. This workout is the only one I would characterize as “bad” over the last month of training. My heart was just never into it. I was anxious to head to our Lake Delavan condo after a crappy day of work, and as a result, I ended up staring at the console, praying for the minutes to pass by quickly. That’s no way to tempo. My splits were okay – 5:39, 5:38, 5:36, 5:31, and 5:30 – but I felt neither strong nor smooth. The condo, on the other hand, is almost ready for ski season.

Saturday: 18 miles – 2:05:00, 6:57 pace. If you recall from the summer, I ran around Lake Geneva, which is about 10 miles from Lake Delavan. The trek around Geneva was 23 miles. Delavan is not quite as large, and I was told it was about 12 miles around. I studied a map ahead of time to plot my path. Everything was set….and then within a mile, my Garmin died.

No worries, I know my route, I told myself. Somewhere along the way I missed a turn off and ended up over-shooting my route by a few miles. At the time I had no idea of my distance, pace or even time of day. But once I found the road I was looking for, I didn’t care. I continued on my route at what felt like long run pace and made it home in a touch over 2 hours. I have no idea of the exact distance, but 18 miles in 2:05 seems like an accurate enough guess.

Sunday: 4 miles – untimed. With my grandma’s 93rd birthday to celebrate and the Bulls’ home opener at 7:00 pm, there was no time for two runs today. Thankfully. I planned week 4 to be a step-back, so it worked out perfectly. While not thrilled with starting 2012 with a 4 mile day, I ended the week feeling very fresh.

Week: 92
December: 424
2011 total: 4072
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:11 pm

I can't believe Spring training is here in a month.

With Zambrano gone, where do you now ranks the Cubs? Think the clubhouse will be a better place?

NL early Rankings(not necessarily who will be in the WS)

1) Phils

2) Marlins

3) Giants

4) Braves

5) Cardinals

We'll see how the Brew-crew respond to Braun being gone for 50 games and how Arizona responds to last year's success.

AL

1) Rangers

2) Rays

3) Angels

4) Yankees

5) Can't decide between Blue Jays and Tigers; sorry Boston (we need to see about your clubhouse chemistry).

As an aside, nice running week. I have done the same thing running around a lake in Madison, WI. It should have been about 12 and wound up 16.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:19 pm

The Cubs are in full-blown rebuilding mode. They're trading off useful assets, like Sean Marshall, to build organizational depth. They're letting high-priced players sign elsewhere, like Aramis Ramirez. And they're unloading the big contracts. Z is gone, I expect Marlon Byrd to be next, and they are doing everything they can to shed Soriano.

I like the Z and Marshall trades. Volstad and Travis Wood are both 24 with upside. At worst, they are capable 4-5 starters under team control for cheap. Signings like DeJesus and Stewart help bridge the gap until their current prospects are ready. They'll let Brian LeHair start at 1b and see what he's capable of.

I think the Cubs are in for 2 bad years until this process starts to work. I expect 70-75 wins next year; not fun, but necessary.

I honestly couldn't even rank the teams right now. I'm too immersed in NFL and NBA. bounce
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  MartinD Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Enjoying reading along as always, Dave - it's good to get an insight into your training, both the runs that you're doing and the reasons for you doing those runs.

Dave-O wrote:
Jerry wrote:Happy New Year, Dave!

I haven't worn the R2, but the answer is Lunar Racer. Even the Lunar 1 is 2-3 ounces heavier than the Lunar Spider. The Spider is pretty minimal, very much a racing flat.

From someone who wears the same shoes for training and racing (my biomechanics aren't the best, and I'm injury-prone enough to be wary about trying lighter shoes) - how much difference do you find that it makes to use the lighter shoes for your faster workouts and for racing?
MartinD
MartinD

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 pm

MartinD wrote:

From someone who wears the same shoes for training and racing (my biomechanics aren't the best, and I'm injury-prone enough to be wary about trying lighter shoes) - how much difference do you find that it makes to use the lighter shoes for your faster workouts and for racing?

Its a little hard for me to say, because I do most of my runs in flats these days. I really don't like overcushioned shoes, and only wear them on easy runs. I do remember when I first transitioned, though, I felt they made a noticeable difference - definitely a few seconds per mile. I've read 2 seconds per mile per ounce, and I think that's as good as estimate as any.

The weight difference is a major factor, but even more so, I think your turnover and stride is much more efficient with a racing flat.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Dave - quick questions. Have you used the Lunarspider R2 for a marathon?

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-NSPR2M1.html

Is it enough shoe?

I'm thinking of giving them a test as I like the idea of them being an ounce lighter than my current fav - the Brooks PureConnect.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Ben Z wrote:Dave - quick questions. Have you used the Lunarspider R2 for a marathon?

Is it enough shoe?

I'm thinking of giving them a test as I like the idea of them being an ounce lighter than my current fav - the Brooks PureConnect.

Yes, I used them this past fall in Chicago. Despite blowing up, I thought they were enough shoe. My problems had nothing to do with calf or foot issues. I had run a few long runs and all my tempos in them. Definitely give the Spiders two thumbs up.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Dave-O wrote:
I like the Z and Marshall trades. Volstad and Travis Wood are both 24 with upside. At worst, they are capable 4-5 starters under team control for cheap. Signings like DeJesus and Stewart help bridge the gap until their current prospects are ready. They'll let Brian LeHair Anthony Rizzo start at 1b and see what he's capable of.

cheers Money Shots Ride
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Ben Z wrote:Dave - quick questions. Have you used the Lunarspider R2 for a marathon?

Is it enough shoe?

Yes, I used them this past fall in Chicago. Despite blowing up, I thought they were enough shoe. My problems had nothing to do with calf or foot issues. I had run a few long runs and all my tempos in them. Definitely give the Spiders two thumbs up.

Do you think Spider has 2 marathons in them as the Lunar Racer?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Jerry wrote:

If you didn't log any miles on them in between, sure. For Chicago, I had a half-marathon on my race day shoes. So I'll say they have 50-75 miles of racing/workouts in them.

That doesn't mean they have to be retired. I have 200+ miles on my two pairs. I'd buy a new pair for a race, but then again, I'm a shoe snob.

Speaking of - Work shoes with Lunar soles? Hell yes!

Buck-O-Nine - Page 3 Dress10

Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Jerry wrote:

If you didn't log any miles on them in between, sure. For Chicago, I had a half-marathon on my race day shoes. So I'll say they have 50-75 miles of racing/workouts in them.

That doesn't mean they have to be retired. I have 200+ miles on my two pairs. I'd buy a new pair for a race, but then again, I'm a shoe snob.

Speaking of - Work shoes with Lunar soles? Hell yes!

Buck-O-Nine - Page 3 Dress10

They look like a bad case of hush puppies with white lace disease. At least go for the glow in the dark green neon shoe laces if you're stuck in a conservative rut.Very Happy
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:35 pm

I have several pairs of Cole Haan sandals with Nike Air soles - love them. Nike owns Cole Haan, and of course, women (who are runners) know that already. Bet those work shoes will be comfy. Of course, I did get my husband to wear Eccos and Geox shoes - great men's work shoes with comfort similar to a running shoe.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:52 am

Dave-o nice workouts. I'm also a shoe freak. It's hard not to be when you run so much. I really like the Brooks Launch as a good training shoe as well as the Asics Speed stars and Saucony Kinvara. I agree training in lighter shoes has always worked for me.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I have several pairs of Cole Haan sandals with Nike Air soles - love them. Nike owns Cole Haan, and of course, women (who are runners) know that already. Bet those work shoes will be comfy. Of course, I did get my husband to wear Eccos and Geox shoes - great men's work shoes with comfort similar to a running shoe.

Britt finds them ugly, but I think I'm going to get them anyway. Cool

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:Dave-o nice workouts. I'm also a shoe freak. It's hard not to be when you run so much. I really like the Brooks Launch as a good training shoe as well as the Asics Speed stars and Saucony Kinvara. I agree training in lighter shoes has always worked for me.

Hi Kory. I've been wanting to try the Kinvara as well. Maybe I'll try to snag a pair. Thanks.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Training Week 5: January 2 – 8

Monday: 6 miles – 44:28, 7:25 pace. 12 miles – 1:16:02, with 2 x 3 miles. Race week. Sort of. I mean, technically I have a 4k race this weekend, but I’m not treating it as anything more than a nice, hard effort during my base building. That being said, I made a note not to hammer the 3 mile tempo intervals tonight, and instead cruised at 5:35 pace on set 1 and 5:28 pace on set 2.

Tuesday: 5 miles – 37:22, 7:28 pace. 14 miles – 1:34:43, 6:46 pace. Though winter has somewhat arrived, tonight’s 14 miler was still nothing to complain about with temps over 20 degrees. Anytime I can get a decent sweat going without my outer layer turning into an icicle, it’s all good in my book.

Wednesday: 5 miles – 37:48, 7:34 pace. 7 miles – 49:42, 7:06 pace. 37 miles in the past two days, and my legs were feeling it today.

Thursday: 6 miles – 45:12, 7:32 pace. 12 miles – 1:17:44, 6:29 pace. I didn’t want to log another workout before Sunday, yet I wanted to keep my mileage up. I decided a 12 mile moderate progression run satisfied both goals. I ran the first 4 at 7:00 pace, middle 4 at 6:30 pace and last 4 at 6:00 pace. It felt good to log some faster miles at the end of a run.

Friday: 5 miles – 37:04, 7:25 pace. My trial that starts next week claimed its first victim – today’s second easy run. I only worked until 7:30, but with pizza and wine waiting at home, the run never stood a chance.

Saturday: 18 miles – 2:03:49, 6:53 pace. I couldn’t run in the morning because I had to put in 6 hours of work. I couldn’t miss the start of the NFL playoffs because I’m a fanatic. That’s a long way to say I did my long run on the treadmill. I know it’s not as good as outside, but it was necessary. The 18 miles were uneventful, except for the occasional fist pump as the Texans buried the Bengals.

Sunday: 10 miles with 4k cross-country race – 13:47, 5:33 pace. The Daniel Burnham Open, a free cross-country race at Montrose Harbor that includes four trips up and down cricket hill – i.e. the hill every runner training for Boston uses for hill repeats. Now in its third year, 85 runners showed up. It proved to be a pretty competitive race.

By mid first lap I was 20 people back. I didn’t expect that. But I was at the pace I expected to be, so I stuck with the plan. Within another lap, I noticed my teammates were in 1st and 2nd. If I blew the team competition with a shitty finish – thereby costing them a free pair of shoes – I wouldn’t blame them for being pissed. I focused on methodically picking off one runner at a time, which also helped take my mind off my burning quads. It was muddy and slippery, so I had to pick my spots to surge. As we rounded the last corner, I blew past two more people to move into 10th place. Team Beer Necessity dominated with a convincing 13 point total.

Week: 100
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Training Week 6: January 9 – 15

Monday: 5 miles – 37:11, 7:26 pace. 8 miles – 57:20, 7:10 pace. With trial starting on Wednesday, I have no idea what I will be able to run this week. I truly will be taking it day by day. Despite knowing I’m in for a lot of work hours, I hope to salvage something respectable.

Tuesday: Off. I worked until 11:30. I started feeling flu-like symptoms. Running wasn’t happening.

Wednesday: 12 miles – 1:21:23, 6:47 pace. Last fall when I was on trial, I essentially wrote the entire week off and ran only 42 miles. I don’t want that to happen this week. Helping matters, the Judge we were assigned to for trial decided he doesn’t want to pick a jury until Tuesday. Instead, he ordered the parties to engage in a settlement conference tomorrow morning. Translation: I left the office and hit the lakefront by 5:00 pm. Ahh, normalcy.

Thursday: 5 miles – 37:38, 7:32 pace. 10 miles – 1:06:41, 6:41 pace. After 10 hours of negotiations, my case settled at 4:00. Whew. I was exhausted, and all I wanted to do was kick up my feet and crack open a beer. Instead, I forced myself to the gym to get at least something done. Once I was there, I decided to take advantage of the incline and log hill repeats. If nothing else, it helped the time pass more quickly.

Friday: 5 miles – 37:34, 7:31 pace. 8 miles – untimed. To say I was unmotivated to work today would be an understatement. I attended to some stuff I had neglected while prepping for trial, but I was happy to leave the office early and run a stress-free untimed 8 miles along the lake.

Saturday: 15 miles – 1:33:08, 6:13 pace. The only benefit to not running as much during the week is that I am fresh for a strong weekend. One of the tougher workouts I remember from last half marathon training cycle was a 4-3-2-1 tempo cut-down. Perfect. Unlike last time, though, I started off a little more conservatively. The first 4 were just under a 6:00 pace; the 3 mile set at 5:45. Now 11 miles into the workout, I could sense my legs getting heavy. I was able to crack 5:30 on the 2 mile repeat and ran 5:21 for the 1 mile. But damn, it wasn’t easy.

Sunday: 20 miles – 2:14:51, 6:45 pace. 120 days. That’s how long it’s been since I did a 20 mile training run (excluding the Chicago Marathon). I built my long runs rather slowly these past 6 weeks (14, 16, 16, 18 and 18) so I figured it was time to rip the band aid off. I can’t say I wasn’t a little apprehensive, though. I haven’t exactly been crushing my long runs.

The first 12 passed by quickly, and I even surprised myself with a steady 6:45 pace that didn’t feel difficult. I popped inside quickly for a fresh set of dry clothes, downed a gel and headed back out. After 16 I could really feel some fatigue creeping in, and the last 2 would definitely fall in the “hard” category. It was relieving to finally to get a 20 under my belt, and I hope I can log 2 more to complete these first 8 weeks.

Even though I only ran 88 miles this week, I did it in 9 runs with a big fat zero on Tuesday. Not bad at all.

Week: 88
YTD: 192

Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: