365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waterproof vs. water resistant

+4
Schuey
fostever
carleenp
Jack_Scaff
8 posters

Go down

Waterproof vs. water resistant Empty Waterproof vs. water resistant

Post  Jack_Scaff Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:25 am

As a follow up to my jacket thread - why would one prefer proof or resistant.

What I liked about the Sugoi Hudrolite is that it has some sort of membrane that lets moisture out, but not in. I THINK I don't want water resistant because if you run for a while soggy conditions I would expect the jacket and your shirt would get soaked. Am I wrong?

The jacket sports Sugoi's signature HydroLite fabric, an intelligent
fabric that activates when water touches the surface, creating a barrier
that blocks out water while allowing excess heat and moisture vapor to
escape.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Waterproof vs. water resistant Empty Re: Waterproof vs. water resistant

Post  carleenp Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Generally moisture resistant fabrics are also quite breathable. So they will keep wetness out to some extent, but not totally, and will do quite well at letting perspiration move to the surface and evaporate. The less water resistant they are the more breathable they will be.

Water proof often is not breathable and you will need to rely on vents to help sweat evaporate.

Waterproof and breathable (ie Gortex) is a favorite of many skiers and winter sports lovers because it does both. But Gortex also can be on the heavier side and very active people, such as runners, often report getting quite warm in it at times, which means you can still end up clammy from sweat.

I have read some excellent reports of the Sugoi actually being quite water resistant while still breathable, so it is a nice middle ground. But if you plan to run in all out cold rain, you probably want a Gortex shell. I would think the Sugoi would be fine for light mist, fog, and snow. I don't think it is truly waterproof, but reports say it almost is.

I also recently bought a North Face hybrid. It is water proof with a Gortex-like material in some parts and water resistant in others in order to maximize breathability while keeping core areas dry. That also makes it cheaper than an all Gortex shell. It is heavier than the Sugoi though. I have not yet had a chance to test it in practice.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

The windbreakers I wear tend to trap the moisture and are usually dripping on the inside after a long run. If it's raining or windy I need the protection, but if not, definitely want the breathable jacket.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:11 pm

fostever wrote:The windbreakers I wear tend to trap the moisture and are usually dripping on the inside after a long run. If it's raining or windy I need the protection, but if not, definitely want the breathable jacket.

Yes that is a problem with a lot of windproof or waterproof jackets. There are some new jackets on the market that are using some new technologies. The only draw back is that you are going to pay the price for it. But here is my take on it you sometimes get what you pay for. So if you want to block out the wind or you want a waterproof jacket/shell and don't want to be dripping wet in the inside it is well worth paying up in price or saving up for the right gear.

So Jack here are a couple of options you can look into Running Times just did a little write up on these 2 waterproof shells:

1.The North Face Stormy Trail Jacket 9oz. $149.00
2.Mountain Hardware Effusion Hooded Jacket 12oz. $200.00

For use runners in the colder section of the US looking for something for winter months

1. BrooksSilver Bullet Jacket 11oz. $150.00
2. Ashmei Ultimate Soft Shell 140z. 280.00 This jacket is sweet!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Schuey wrote:
fostever wrote:The windbreakers I wear tend to trap the moisture and are usually dripping on the inside after a long run. If it's raining or windy I need the protection, but if not, definitely want the breathable jacket.

Yes that is a problem with a lot of windproof or waterproof jackets. There are some new jackets on the market that are using some new technologies. The only draw back is that you are going to pay the price for it. But here is my take on it you sometimes get what you pay for. So if you want to block out the wind or you want a waterproof jacket/shell and don't want to be dripping wet in the inside it is well worth paying up in price or saving up for the right gear.

So Jack here are a couple of options you can look into Running Times just did a little write up on these 2 waterproof shells:

For use runners in the colder section of the US looking for something for winter months

Please Mr. stock broker day trader help this poor struggling independent insurance agent for the holidays Sad Tax deductible donations can be made at poorstrugglinglousyinsuranceproducerbastard.blogspot lol!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Schuey wrote:

North Face Stormy Trail is the interesting hybrid jacket that I just got. I'm still waiting for a chance to try it out though. So far the weather has been too nice! Not that I'm complaining about that! sunny
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:45 pm

carleenp wrote:Generally moisture resistant fabrics are also quite breathable. So they will keep wetness out to some extent, but not totally, and will do quite well at letting perspiration move to the surface and evaporate. The less water resistant they are the more breathable they will be.

Water proof often is not breathable and you will need to rely on vents to help sweat evaporate.

Waterproof and breathable (ie Gortex) is a favorite of many skiers and winter sports lovers because it does both. But Gortex also can be on the heavier side and very active people, such as runners, often report getting quite warm in it at times, which means you can still end up clammy from sweat.

I have read some excellent reports of the Sugoi actually being quite water resistant while still breathable, so it is a nice middle ground. But if you plan to run in all out cold rain, you probably want a Gortex shell. I would think the Sugoi would be fine for light mist, fog, and snow. I don't think it is truly waterproof, but reports say it almost is.

I also recently bought a North Face hybrid. It is water proof with a Gortex-like material in some parts and water resistant in others in order to maximize breathability while keeping core areas dry. That also makes it cheaper than an all Gortex shell. It is heavier than the Sugoi though. I have not yet had a chance to test it in practice.

Just to clarify if others are reading this most GORE-TEX fabrics are not breathable to the point that they would be tolerable for runners (I believe) unless you are talking about their active-shell line of fabrics. Neoshell fabrics from Polartec are the best option but I have yet to see a lightweight running-related version of their jackets.

Note: eVent and HyVenta fabrics (such as the North Face Stormy Trail Jacket) are probably the best you can do in terms of near total waterproofness (not a word, I know) with some ability to breathe in a lightweight jacket.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart.brooke2 Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:33 am

The problem with all waterproofs is they have a coating or laminate which stops the rain coming through the fabric. This is great but the breathability cannot cope with the runners high aerobic activity and heat build up so even the best laminated fabric will make you sweat and you will get wet on the inside of the jacket.

Water resistant fabrics are just this, on resistant to rain so will let in the rain after a short period too.

Watch ashmei in the next 6 weeks or so as they are launching something completely new. Its a rain jacket that stops rain for about 1 hour but breathes. It does not use a laminate and is not a simple water resistant fabric. It is a bespoke material they have been working on for over 2 years developed just for runners so that you can run for a typical 1 hour run in the rain and stay dry from both the rain and your own sweat!

stuart.brooke2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:09 pm

I rarely use my "waterproof" and/or "water resistant" jackets. I have one brand that works marvelous if it rains hard and it's in the 40's. It's not waterproof just water resistant and quite frankly with a tight tech shirt underneath it's fine. I don't mind getting wet. Anything above that unless real windy I go with a light vest and maybe long or s/s tech tight shirt. I am looking more for wind protection out of a jacket then rain protection. So breathing is crucial which is more int he water resistant jackets.

MY NB waterproof coat is good if it's a monsoon and I am going out for only a few miles. (that happened ughhh never)

It sounds like there is new technology out or coming out which might be worth a peak but I ain't paying $150 for it.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:48 pm

If I run in the rain, I know I will get wet so I usually don't worry about a jacket unless it's chilly. I have a water resistant (I guess) vest that works well but doesn't stop me from getting wet. Once I'm out there 5 minutes, it no longer matters if it's resistant or water proof.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down