365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

uphill climb

+28
Paula Sue
Chris M
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
T Miller
JohnP
Nick Morris
jon c
Jim Lentz
Penelope
Alex Kubacki
Tom H
mul21
ChasMcG
Julie
Ken Mello
Randy E
Natalie
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Kenny B.
Tea from RonItch
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Seth Harrison
John Kilpatrick
32 posters

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

uphill climb - Page 14 Empty Re: uphill climb

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 am

John I've fallen in front of a small crowd with the clipless. Fun. Take care of your leg.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 am

Ha ha, it sure was funny when you did it.

I had a similar thing this spring but I was just riding around the house to get my helmet out of the car. I had my shoes clipped into the pedals but I only had one shoe on and I was going to ride to the car with my foot on the other pedal so that the bottom of the shoe was against my foot. Well that would have been great if the shoe wouldn't have dragged on the ground dragging me to a stop. My balance made me fall to the side that was clipped in. I kind of caught myself with my opposite hand as I fell and broke my wrist. I completed the 30 mile ride hoping that it wasn't broken but it was pretty apparent that it was.

I think this one's even better. A friend of mine was riding the RAIN ride (ride across Indiana 165 miles) and he fell at the start in the middle of a huge pack of people. It wasn't only the fall but he fell into another friends wheel bending it beyond repair. Their start was delayed while they were digging up another wheel. They eventually started their ride but my friend who fell ended up in the med tent with about 5 miles to go and didn't even get to complete the ride.

I also had this other fall this past summer. Not very long after I purchased my new bike I was trying to cross one of the main streets by my house. There were cars coming and I had to stop but I couldn't get my damn shoe out. I fell and kind of rolled so that I was lying on my back with my bike above me like what had happened to Mike. As if that wasn't bad enough, my aero bottle dumped the remaining Gatorade right in my face.

You're not alone... I hope you didn't get hurt.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:32 am

Tim takes the cake with that drink-on-face story.

I've also fallen onto a friend... while trackstanding at a light in Pacific Beach (college town in San Diego). On a Sunday morning. Meaning huge crowds of college kids (and cute girls). Not to mention that my buddy's bike was a brand-new, team-sponsored Cannondale worth well over $5k and custom sized to him.

If it's still getting to you, just be happy it wasn't a "real" fall; gave myself a mild concussion on Mother's Day 2010 (with the same buddy, actually) after I hit a small bump while reaching for my water bottle and was flung (maybe whipped?) headfirst onto the pavement. Helmet cracked in four places, was cross-eyed for 5 minutes... Not fun.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:28 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:
If it's still getting to you, just be happy it wasn't a "real" fall; gave myself a mild concussion on Mother's Day 2010 (with the same buddy, actually) after I hit a small bump while reaching for my water bottle and was flung (maybe whipped?) headfirst onto the pavement. Helmet cracked in four places, was cross-eyed for 5 minutes... Not fun.

I did that too, helmet cracked, ripped up my shoulder, and then still had to ride the next day 60 miles to finish up the week's bike ride across Nebraska. Not fun. And of course I had already taken a class in traumatic brain injury so I was giving myself all these tests on attention and memory that I give patients.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:01 pm

How ya feeling John??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:28 pm

John? Are you there?
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Ha - I'm here - still laughing about your story Mike and Tim, your story is absolutely priceless! Julie, your story was just sad - that really sucked... Michele - your story was funny until the broken finger part - ouch... My pride was the only thing really hurt in falling over, but I'm sure it won't be the last time... I can't get the image of Tim upside down clipped in with gatorade spilling out onto your face - if anyone saw that, I wonder what they were thinking...

So anyway, I took Sunday "off" (skipped the run and my leg thanks me), although I did the wetsuit swim thing. Monday was a scheduled day off - really felt weird as I have usually taken Friday off, but I got a lot of sleep in over the weekend and last night. Think I needed it.

Physically, I am feeling great - let doesn't hurt very much, and when it does, I will just back off a little. If it acts up on race day, I think I can run through it (if not then it is what it is). I think it will be fine. Mentally, I'm going nuts - well moreso than normal nuts...

For today:
Swam 2950 yds in 47:41 (not counting five 25 second rests between VO2 max intervals) - avg pace 1:36/100 yds
workout
yds
avg pace
warmup/sighting drills
1:39
150 yd VO2 max interval 1 (followed by 25 second rest)
1:31
150 yd VO2 max interval 2 (followed by 25 second rest)
1:29
150 yd VO2 max interval 3 (followed by 25 second rest)
1:28
150 yd VO2 max interval 4 (followed by 25 second rest)
1:29
150 yd VO2 max interval 5 (followed by 25 second rest)
1:28
cooldown/general swimming
1:42
Scheduled bike workout was 1:50 total with 36 minutes at threshold intensity (RPE 8-8.5) and the remaining time at RPE 6-7. Getting dark early, so I did it on my trainer. Only break in the action was a complaint from my wife that the living room smelled like sweat Razz. Sorry about that honey!
workout
time
avg HR
warmup / general ride
44:00
Threshold ride
36:00
cooldown / general ride
30:00
I don't really get the cocky thing - I know I'm not going to hang with tons of people out there and that is totally OK - I'm really just doing this for myself anyway. But, every once in a while I allow myself the luxury of thinking that I can really kick ass in this thing. I know I'll get smoked by tons of people, so I'm not even talking about beating anyone else - I'm talking about pushing myself to a good performance. I can just feel this excitement welling up and I just want to f-ing turn it loose on a race and let the horses run. I think it is going to be a fun day. I hope the leg holds up - I didn't do all of this work for nothing! If on that day I crash and burn, I know it won't be because I didn't try
pretty hard in training - I'll learn something and the sun will rise
the next morning. Can I break 5:15? I have no idea. If everything goes well, then I think it's possible. Can't wait to find out.....

Oh, and Mike, here is something to show your brother. He might even think it's funny... I did.

You know I think you all are awesome? I really appreciate the support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:42 pm

That video is so much win, it hurts. Love it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:21 am

I'm at work and the video isn't working, so will have to watch it at home. Glad to hear you're okay! Sounds like a good idea to take it easy with the running for a few days. Solid workouts, so keep up the great work!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:59 am

John, based on your training numbers I honestly think you have a great chance/potential to go sub 5 hours in the 70.3.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 am

John I have no idea how to predict time in a triathlon but if Randy says sub 5 is possible, then he's likely right!

My bike crash was OK. I survived and we found someone to buy a new helmet from to ride the next day. I got toughness points, too. Cool about 7 weeks later, was my wedding and fortunately my dress covered most of the scar although I did show it off to a few of our guests.

You're going to do great! I don't run marathons to beat others but to really challenge myself and also to give focus to my training because I love running and it helps me so much. When people say "Oh I can barely jog 20 minutes" I just say I couldn't either when I started and that's how everyone starts....I do get snotty though when I see ads for
"marathon mattress sale" (like I did this morning). What does that mean? Run a marathon with a mattress on your back? Ugh, that's what I find annoying..."I feel like I just ran a marathon" when they never have.

Anyway...happy tapering. I'm already off the deep end.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:42 am

Randy E wrote:John, based on your training numbers I honestly think you have a great chance/potential to go sub 5 hours in the 70.3.

I agree. If you're averaging 21mph on the bike and run a 1:45 HM (I see you at least 5min below that), you've got a good 30min on the swim + extra time for comfortable transitions... and you'll still break 5hr.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:08 pm

John I like your thinking. Turn it loose.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:44 pm

"Let me see your calves" HAHAHA!!! Love it!!

Great training John and I know that you will do great. Like the others stated, I think that you have a great chance at breaking 5:00. Plus, I think you have the right attitude for the race. Give your all and see what you get for results...That's pretty much all you can ask for.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Penelope wrote:Glad to hear you're okay! Sounds like a good idea to take it easy with the running for a few days. Solid workouts, so keep up the great work!
Thanks!

Randy E wrote:John, based on your training numbers I honestly think you have a great chance/potential to go sub 5 hours in the 70.3.
Really? That is an exciting thought for sure. I'll just do my best and see what happens. Always appreciate the support and I actually thought of you during a tough mental spell in my tempo run tonight - told myself this is nothing, think of what Randy just endured!!!

Julie wrote:You're going to do great! I don't run marathons to beat others but to really challenge myself and also to give focus to my training because I love running and it helps me so much. When people say "Oh I can barely jog 20 minutes" I just say I couldn't either when I started and that's how everyone starts....I do get snotty though when I see ads for "marathon mattress sale" (like I did this morning). What does that mean? Run a marathon with a mattress on your back? Ugh, that's what I find annoying..."I feel like I just ran a marathon" when they never have.

Anyway...happy tapering. I'm already off the deep end.
Yeah, you are REALLY in the deep end now!!! The fact that you are annoyed by a marathon mattress sale pretty much sums it up Razz . I'm really pulling for you this weekend! I guess I "officially" begin my taper tomorrow...

Mike MacLellan wrote:I agree. If you're averaging 21mph on the bike and run a 1:45 HM (I see you at least 5min below that), you've got a good 30min on the swim + extra time for comfortable transitions... and you'll still break 5hr.
I would expect nothing less from you, Mike - always there to push me on. Wish we could run together sometimes - you would be a great motivator! As always, I really appreciate it. I'll do my best...

Alex Kubacki wrote:John I like your thinking. Turn it loose.
Yeah thanks - although for a spell tonight I was wanting to put the horses back in the barn!

Nick Morris wrote:"Let me see your calves" HAHAHA!!! Love it!! Great training John and I know that you will do great. Like the others stated, I think that you have a great chance at breaking 5:00. Plus, I think you have the right attitude for the race. Give your all and see what you get for results...That's pretty much all you can ask for.
Funny vid - I don't know why, but there are (excuse the language here) pretty much douchebags in any sport. They are sort of amusing if you don't take them too seriously though... Appreciate the kind words - with no real frame of reference, my goal is to just a)finish and b)do my best - like you said that is all that I can do. From where I was not that long ago, the fact that I am ready to toe the line is a huge accomplishment for me!

For today:

Swim 2900 yds (1.65 miles), 48:50 steady swim, avg pace 1:41/100 yds

Run: total time 54 minutes with a 34 minute tempo run in the middle - wanted to push it tonight (at least at the beginning) and hang at the bottom end of my tempo pace (according to McMillan it should be 6:35-6:52). Really struggled mentally with the run towards the end, but got through it. One more workout in the books.... Total run 7.56 miles, 54:04, avg pace 7:09, avg HR 153.
run section
distance (miles)
pace
avg HR
warmup (10 minutes
8:21
tempo (1st half) (17 minutes)
6:37
tempo (2nd half) (17 minutes)
6:36
cooldown (10 minutes)
8:13

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:05 am

Just looking at yesterday's workout John...another really strong one. Great job hanging in on the tempo run after the swim.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 am

You're looking really strong there John. I hope you're healthy and feeling good. The taper should help you get ready for the day. I think sub 5 is a great goal for you. Let the horses run.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:43 am

great job keeping up the solid workouts. You're going to do great! Yes there are snots in every sport, every field, everyone can get arrogant in their own way and don't realize how unattractive it is (or they do, and just don't care!).

Hey if you need some taper annoyance in another week, I'll get you that marathon mattress sale ad. bounce
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:18 am

Your workouts are looking very solid, John.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Just looking at yesterday's workout John...another really strong one. Great job hanging in on the tempo run after the swim.
Thanks Seth

T Miller wrote:You're looking really strong there John. I hope you're healthy and feeling good. The taper should help you get ready for the day. I think sub 5 is a great goal for you. Let the horses run.
Thanks Tim - I feel as good as I think I'm going to - leg a little damaged, but otherwise feel great. I was looking at what would need to happen to get a 5 - don't know if it is possible at this point, but what the heck - it is a good goal...

Julie wrote:great job keeping up the solid workouts. You're going to do great! Yes there are snots in every sport, every field, everyone can get arrogant in their own way and don't realize how unattractive it is (or they do, and just don't care!). Hey if you need some taper annoyance in another week, I'll get you that marathon mattress sale ad. bounce
I am not ready for any taper tantrums yet!

Jim Lentz wrote:Your workouts are looking very solid, John.
Thanks Jim - sometimes they don't feel very solid, but I'm trying!

For tonight: Did a shorter brick workout of intermediate intensity

Cycled 26.8 miles, 1:12:05, avg speed 22.3 mph, avg HR 130
Ran 4.39 miles, 33:05, avg pace 7:31, avg HR 145

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 pm

5mi @ tempo! John, you're an animal. Seriously, I hope your schedule calls for some rest in the next week and a half before your race. The hay is in the barn; just do enough to make sure no one starts stealing it (okay, the metaphor died there, but you know what I mean!).
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks Mike - just following the schedule to keep me from going nuts. Things really begin to taper off on Monday, but I have a 2:30 ride and some sprints tomorrow and a 1:20 run and a swim on Sunday. On the interval stuff, I am going to really keep it easy during the warmups, cooldowns, and rest between intervals.

For today:
Did the following swim workout, resting for 35-40 seconds between threshold intervals and 20 seconds between sprints:

workout
distance (yds)
pace / 100 yds
warmup
1:39
sighting drill
1:44
400 yd threshold interval 1
1:32
400 yd threshold interval 2
1:30
400 yd threshold interval 3
1:31
sprint 1
1:18
sprint 2
1:21
sprint 3
1:19
sprint 4
1:18
cooldown
1:36
Bike workout this evening: 1:10 total time with 4 x 5:00 hill intervals with 3:00 rest between.
workout
time (min)
Avg HR
max HR
Min HR
warmup

hill interval 1

rest

hill interval 2

rest

hill interval 3

rest

hill interval 4

rest

cooldown

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:35 am

John, it is great to see your training taking a certain structure. What plan are you following and where did you find it?

I believe your event is next weekend and it will be interesting to see how you do. If you taper "properly" this week you will feel very springy and fresh. Try to get to that point. Remember, anything you do now will not add to your fitness/racing readiness. It takes about 2 weeks to get a training effect so there is no reason to push anything the coming week. I really hope you have the discipline to let you body repair itself a little before the event. If you do you will have a great race.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 am

I really like your attitude - there is a strong confidence in yourself that I see, and it's backed by solid workouts. We only get so many tries at these big events per year so finish this peak/taper well and let it rip.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks Randy - I am now following something called the Essential Week-By-Week Training Guide
by Matt Fitzgerald. I'm learning all of the time and now realize that I
probably should of jumped on something like this from the beginning -
live and learn... For every common triathlon distance there are 10
training plans - I'm following level 8 for the HIM. The structured
stuff was new to me, but it keeps things interesting and I would think
would of provided a great benefit if I would of followed it for an
entire cycle. I am definitely going to follow an entire plan for the IM
next year.

Looking ahead at my schedule until next weekend, there is some volume
left to put in, but the only real "work" left is 30 minutes worth of a
tempo interval in the middle of Tuesday's 1:25 ride, a few pool sprints
as late as Friday, and a 42 minute run with 22 min at threshold on
Wednesday. I'm really not worried anymore about hurting my leg (been
fairly careful and backed off when I felt it hurting), but I will also
be especially cautious with it this week with it. That is a good
reminder about not gaining fitness for about 2 weeks - I will remember
to really take my "easy" workout portions easy this week.

Thanks for the kind words John - I'm glad that you see confidence - maybe it will be enough for both of us! I
go back and forth between being scared to death and being really
excited about this thing. I have enough respect for myself, the event,
and the other athletes (likewise with any race) that I did not want to
show up unprepared. If I have any confidence now, it is in the fact
that I know I have worked really hard to get ready and now it is sort of
let the chips fall where they may. I do know that somewhere along the
way I'm sort of changing from my goal of simply finishing to having some
time goals in mind. That being said, I'm very grateful for the means and physical ability to just be able to participate in the sport of running and triathlons!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next