365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Actually, I titled it this way because it's a play on my current favorite song. It's P!nk's song, F-ing Perfect and the lyrics could not be more fitting to me. I mean, literally every word. I've always loved P!nk, but when this song came out it just spoke to me. Between making wrong turns and wrong decisions (I apply this to my past training) and the part when it talks of negative talk (again, applied to running) I find it to be a great running song.

I have made wrong turns...both in life and in past training...but that's ok. Sometimes when I'm on the path I picture where I want to be and talk negatively to myself for being where I'm at..."you're so mean when you talk about yourself..you were wrong"...

Well, these forums could not have come at a better time. Martin has set up a great plan for me, I now have custom orthotics to correct knee pains and shin pains, I have signed up on FitClick and am on my journey to weight loss. I have survived shin splints, torn ankle ligaments and a blood clot...and Chicago 2007 Smile.

I am running Chicago 2011 for a couple of reasons: 1) for the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my grandmother, who is in the late stage of it and 2) because I want to prove to myself that I can conquer this course. I want this bad.

I have a feeling it's going to be a great race come October. I have my mind put to it being so....oh, and I want that cute Lulu Lemon shirt on the back cover of the current issue of Runner's World. Martin said that's my carrot! Hahaha!

Perfect - P!nk

Made a wrong turn, once or twice.
Dug my way out, blood and fire.
Bad decisions, that's alright.
Welcome to my silly life.
Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood.
Miss 'No way, it's all good', it didn't slow me down.
Mistaken, always second guessing, underestimated.
Look, I'm still around.

Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than less than perfect.
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like you're nothing,
You are perfect to me

You're so mean when you talk about yourself; you were wrong.
Change the voices in your head; make them like you instead.
So complicated, look happy, you'll make it
Filled with so much hatred, such a tired game.
It's enough; I've done all I can think of.
Chased down all my demons, I've seen you do the same.

Woah ohh, pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like you're nothing,

You are perfect to me.

The whole world's scared so I swallow the fear.
The only thing I should be drinking is an ice cold beer.
So cool in line, and we try try try, but we try too hard and it's a waste of my time.
Done looking for the critics, cause they're everywhere.
They dont like my jeans; they don't get my hair.
Exchange ourselves, and we do it all the time.
Why do we do that? Why do I do that?

Why do I do that?

Yeah, oh, oh baby, pretty baby
Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Pretty,pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you are perfect to me, yeahhh.
You're perfect, you're perfect
Ohh pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothin' you are perfect to me.

Here's the link to the song (this is the clean version) it has a good beat to run to too!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC6PqUtWYxA

Last edited by Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

Post  Matt W on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:49 pm

I hope you have a great training cycle and a perfect race in October. Looking forward to seeing what you can do.

Last edited by Matt W on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 pm

...This is way too rude and vulgar for me. I most certainly will not be following your training as you prepare to tear Chicago apart in October.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:58 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:...This is way too rude and vulgar for me. I most certainly will not be following your training as you prepare to tear Chicago apart in October.
Laughing

Great title and great reasons to run the race. Best of luck with your "other" endeavor too!!!!! I heard someone once say that if they could go back in life, they wouldn't change a thing because it made them who they are. I always thought that was the biggest load of crap! I would change about a million things - but I can't, so I hopefully learn from them and move forward. You are more powerful than you know and you have the right to tell the negative side to shut the hell up!

Good luck and I look forward to reading about your journey!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:02 am

Great blog title Lisa! Even it it's less than perfect, your set up for a great cycle, and a breakthrough race in Chicago this year. We'll all be following along and rooting for you!
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:06 am

Great attitude, Lisa. I like Pink too.
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 am

This WILL be a great training cycle for you, Lisa!!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:14 pm

best wishes on your training!

I'm also trying to lose wt while marathon training so I'm all for accountability. It's a fine balance cutting back somewhat with still fueling for the runs. Not baking cookies helps, though.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:21 pm

I want you to change the title from I want... to I know. When you want something all you get is the wanting. Universe will give you back just what you ask for in your case more wanting. I know is certain. You are telling the world you already have it just have to grab it.

Orthodics - Way to go
Weight loss - Way to go
Alzheimer's Association in honor of my grandmother - Way to go (My grandma has it for many years now. Very sad to see her deterioate mentally and now physically. She is in assisted living.

Look forward to seeing you hit your goals knowing fair well that you will!
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:25 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:I want you to change the title from I want... to I know. When you want something all you get is the wanting. Universe will give you back just what you ask for in your case more wanting. I know is certain. You are telling the world you already have it just have to grab it.

Orthodics - Way to go
Weight loss - Way to go
Alzheimer's Association in honor of my grandmother - Way to go (My grandma has it for many years now. Very sad to see her deterioate mentally and now physically. She is in assisted living.

Look forward to seeing you hit your goals knowing fair well that you will!

Thanks for your whole post, Kenny! I took you up on your idea an changed the title - you are 100% right....if I put it out there that it will be, than it will. Good stuff, buddy!

I'm sorry to hear of your grandma. It is one of the hardest things to witness; someone slowing deteriorating mentally and physically. It's an awful disease! Sad Sad
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Matt, Mike, John, Seth, Natalie, Kathy and Julia - thanks for the responses! New beginnings with the iboards has been like gasoline to fire for me with running. It's going to be a great journey and I'm looking forward to seeing lots of people in October!

Julie - I hear you on the cookie thing...especially if it's chocolate chip cookie dough....yummss! But...I have given that up to get down to a mean, lean racing shape.
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 pm

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:Matt, Mike, John, Seth, Natalie, Kathy and Julia - thanks for the responses! New beginnings with the iboards has been like gasoline to fire for me with running. It's going to be a great journey and I'm looking forward to seeing lots of people in October!

Julie - I hear you on the cookie thing...especially if it's chocolate chip cookie dough....yummss! But...I have given that up to get down to a mean, lean racing shape.

You will be lean and mean for sure. I can feel it. Also let us not give up chocolate chip cookie dough (It just seem so indefinite). let us set it aside for now. bounce
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Well, yesterday Martin and I went out for a run together after I got off of work and it was soooo nice! I love running with him!! SmileSmile

Aunt Flow decided to pay a visit so I had ZERO strength in my quads all week, and running was tough yesterday. However, Martin just said, "this is actually good training for you. Focus on effort and not pace...pretend that you're in the late miles of the marathon because this is what your legs will feel like". It actually helped calm me down (I was getting frustrated I couldn't move my legs).

We got the 6 miles in and tonight I have 4 on tap. We will be heading up to the gym tonight for some strength work. We bought the book, Racing Weight and really enjoy what it has to say. There are some really good workouts in there as well for runners. We've been hitting the gym 3 days a week and I can already tell the payoff of doing so on my runs.

Anyways...that's all for now. Time to head home for a Lox bagel!!! YUMM!!!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:
@Mrs. Schuey wrote:Matt, Mike, John, Seth, Natalie, Kathy and Julia - thanks for the responses! New beginnings with the iboards has been like gasoline to fire for me with running. It's going to be a great journey and I'm looking forward to seeing lots of people in October!

You will be lean and mean for sure. I can feel it. Also let us not give up chocolate chip cookie dough (It just seem so indefinite). let us set it aside for now. bounce

I really like the way you look at things. Seriously...just by saying, "set aside" and not, "give up" makes not eating it easier...how cool is that?! It's amazing the power words have, isn't it?

Thanks for your vote of confidence with regards to getting to my racing weight. It's stuff like that that I tuck into my mind and pull out when I need the motivation.
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:46 pm

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:
@Kenny B. wrote:

I really like the way you look at things. Seriously...just by saying, "set aside" and not, "give up" makes not eating it easier...how cool is that?! It's amazing the power words have, isn't it?

Thanks for your vote of confidence with regards to getting to my racing weight. It's stuff like that that I tuck into my mind and pull out when I need the motivation.

It only works for those who are willing to listen! Think, speak and act like the fit runner you are! Thanks for the feedback as well it puts a big Very Happy on my face.

Last edited by Kenny B. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:48 pm

@Kenny B. wrote: Thanks for the feedback as well it puts a big Very Happy

No problem! Thank you! That's what we're all here for Exclamation Smile
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Hmm, how did Martin get to be so wise? He is indeed right. Work through it as it is the only way to go.

Love your determination, Lisa, and a PMA is more than half of what you need to conquer anything especially a marathon. Believe me, just trusting my training has gotten me through lots of bad races and out the other side. Just keep on keeping on, and you'll get there.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma as well. My Dad's Mom had Alztheimer's as well which was really tough since she lived to be 99. For the last 15 or so years of her life, she didn't even know my Dad - her oldest child which I know was very hard on him. She thought my daughter (as a 3 yr old) was my sister and had no idea who I was.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Title a little too strong. Nevertheless have a strong training cycle.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 pm

@Jerry wrote:Title a little too strong. Nevertheless have a strong training cycle.

Naysayer : someone with an aggressively negative attitude
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:03 pm

@Jerry wrote:Title a little too strong. Nevertheless have a strong training cycle.

I agree Smile

I actually contemplated changing it after I posted it. Actually, I contemplated titling it like that in the first place....I didn't change it because people may have felt uncomfortable with it, rather, I changed it because the implied word in the title kind of took away from what I was trying to convey. I can remain classy while trying to make a point that a song (which happens to be titled a certain way) has such a profound impact on my running.

At any rate, just wanted to explain the change in title....

Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:

Naysayer : someone with an aggressively negative attitude

It's all good... I took good advice from both of you guys! With Kenny's great advice on the "wanting" to "knowing" and Jerry's advice on the vibe in the title. That's what we're all here for and I appreciate you and love the feedback!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:26 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Hmm, how did Martin get to be so wise? He is indeed right. Work through it as it is the only way to go.

Love your determination, Lisa, and a PMA is more than half of what you need to conquer anything especially a marathon. Believe me, just trusting my training has gotten me through lots of bad races and out the other side. Just keep on keeping on, and you'll get there.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma as well. My Dad's Mom had Alztheimer's as well which was really tough since she lived to be 99. For the last 15 or so years of her life, she didn't even know my Dad - her oldest child which I know was very hard on him. She thought my daughter (as a 3 yr old) was my sister and had no idea who I was.

He is a pretty smart guy and I'm blessed to have him as my husband as well as my coach. I'm also blessed to have you and everyone else here to share their insights on running. What is PMA?

I am so sorry to hear about your dad's mom. It is an awful disease and those last 15 years had to be tough ones Sad. Like Martin reminded me of tonight....a good motivator is knowing why I'm out there training. Thinking of my granny is one such thing.

Thanks for dropping by!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Tonight I ran 4 miles with Martin. The weather was nice and the route was cool too. I mentioned before that this week just hasn't been my week in regards to feeling like a strong runner. I don't know if (boys - tmi warning) it's because aunt flow showed up, or because I worked legs 3 days hard on top of running or what. We think it's a combination of both?

Basically what is going on is severe heavy legs. I can't describe it...just that it's only in my quads. If I lean too far forward, I will fall over. Ugh. Oh well....I still got out there yesterday and today and got the running done. The good thing that happened at the end of today's run was that my legs felt better than they did when I started. This made me Smile

We got in 6 miles last night and 4 miles tonight. The paces were, for me, very slow. However, I couldn't go any faster if I wanted to. It was hard not to get frustrated, but some runs will be like that. I have to take the good with the bad I suppose.

I'm hoping that this weekend, the running goes a bit easier. I'm sure it will...thanks for reading!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:02 am

Lisa, it sounds like you have everything conspiring against you having an easy run right now. We all have those days and the challenge is to find a way to push through and feel like you've accomplished something, not failed at it. It can be a continuous struggle to remember that these runs ARE training runs only, so the definition of 'winning' can be rather flexible. This is just the beginning of the long training road to Chicago, so lots of time to feel like the mojo is flowing.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:25 am

@Tom H wrote:Lisa, it sounds like you have everything conspiring against you having an easy run right now. We all have those days and the challenge is to find a way to push through and feel like you've accomplished something, not failed at it. It can be a continuous struggle to remember that these runs ARE training runs only, so the definition of 'winning' can be rather flexible. This is just the beginning of the long training road to Chicago, so lots of time to feel like the mojo is flowing.

Tom - LOVE the perspective you threw in there on the "winning"...I didn't quite look at it that way. Believe it or not, when I'm out on those training runs and times get tough, I'll think of what you said.

I have a run today and I'll take it nice and easy. The other thing I have to focus on is just today. This will sound weird, but I picture the Chicago Marathon as if it's next week, but it's not....it's 16 weeks...I have time. Thanks again Tom!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top