365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

+35
Lauren
Jack_Scaff
Liz R
Dave-O
jon c
Mark B
Penelope
Joel H
Chris M
JohnP
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
fostever
Alex Kubacki
rhondda h
Vivian
Dave P
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
ChasMcG
mul21
Schuey
Dave Wolfe
Tom H
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
Julie
KathyK
Natalie
Seth Harrison
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Matt W
Mrs. Schuey
39 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011 - Page 18 Empty Re: I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Hey - I think I told John that I've average 40-45 mpw my whole running career with few exceptions! You'll be fine with that. And have fun in Hell as DWD is a great race - of course, they may not have told you that you really don't run on the trails except for maybe leg 2 - no instead, you run through the stream, the lake, the mud pits, up the stripper pole, and through the "Abyss". Have a great time, and please give Julio a big hug from me!

Michele! I love your posts!! bounce bounce Hearing that I am able to keep the mileage within that range is great, especially if a stud like you can do it and run as awesome as you do! Yeah, I'm getting the vibe that I won't be on the Poto that much, rather, in muck and weeds and all that great stuff. Guess I should find a spot to put my Epi-Pen...I'm allergic to bees What a Face I'm really excited about this race. I spent the first 31 years of my life about 40 minutes from the Poto and ran the Road Ends 5 miler race and a few training runs on the trails. We've been driving to the Poto a lot lately (funny, I run this thing more now living in Chicago than I did when I lived in Michigan! Haha). My team sounds like a great group of people and I can't wait to meet them all! I'll be sure to give Julia a big hug for you! I'll take lots of pics of the race and the group as well.

fostever wrote:Sorry to hear about the knee. Don't stress over the time off since you seem to have built enough fitness up and resting helps rejuvenate the broken down muscles. You might surprise yourself on race day. I read about runners who suffered minor injury time off near the end of training cycles and then had breakout races. Sometimes things happen for a reason. If you have to, maybe crosstrain on an elliptical or bike up to race day and don't worry about mileage. Hoping for the best for you, see you soon.

Steve! How the heck are you?! Martin and I were just saying the other day how much we enjoyed having you over and the conversations we had over some yummy wine! We have to do that again really soon! I love this sentence in your post: "I read about runners who suffered minor injury time off near the end of training cycles and then had breakout races". Niiiiice! That was the jolt of confidence I needed, so thank you for that! I 100% believe in things happening for a reason. Hope to see you soon!!!

Dave P wrote:Hi Lisa, sounds like you're ready for tapering with the way your leg was feeling. (You're not alone!)
Dave, taper has never sounded so good. I don't like looooong training cycles, so that short bit of time off was actually nice. I've been back to running with little pain in my knee, so I plan on doing the best I can come October 9th. No speed records will be broken, but I'm too stubborn to not run hard.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011 - Page 18 Empty Re: I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:19 pm

The last few runs have gone good (knock on wood). I have had little knee pain in my left knee and think that short period of time off helped. I am finding that the 9:30-9:45 pace is pretty comfortable, which is good.

Here are my runs from Thursday and Friday:

Thursday -
1.00 10:03.8
2.00 9:45.6
3.00 9:36.0
4.00 9:22.9
5.00 9:19.5
6.00 8:23.3

Average pace: 9:25

Friday -
1.00 9:40.9
2.00 9:26.0
3.00 9:22.3
4.00 8:22.9
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Good to see you back on the roads again. I really wish we had met last year...we still need to figure out a race to run together.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Joel H wrote:Good to see you back on the roads again. I really wish we had met last year...we still need to figure out a race to run together.

I agree! I've known you for a long time and we've never met! Heck, you know the AUC story!

Here are the races Martin and I have coming up:

Chicago, 2011
Boston, 2012
Bayshore, 2012
Chicago, 2012 or Nike Woman's 2012 (depends on if we go to Hawaii in October)
Honolulu Marathon, 2012 if we end up going to Hawaii in December
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Joel H wrote:Good to see you back on the roads again. I really wish we had met last year...we still need to figure out a race to run together.

I agree! I've known you for a long time and we've never met! Heck, you know the AUC story!

Chicago, 2011
Boston, 2012
Bayshore, 2012

At this point, I don't have any races scheduled past Houston in January 2012. I can say at this point Boston 2012 is out for me but I will look down the road to see what I can come up with for the rest of 2012. When is Bayshore?
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Have you and Martin met "Penelope" yet? Perhaps the 5 of us could grab breakfast/lunch one Sunday.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Joel H wrote:
Mrs. Schuey wrote:

Chicago, 2011
Boston, 2012
Bayshore, 2012

At this point, I don't have any races scheduled past Houston in January 2012. I can say at this point Boston 2012 is out for me but I will look down the road to see what I can come up with for the rest of 2012. When is Bayshore?

You should do Bayshore!!! It's Memorial Day weekend and I believe it's on May 26th. Chas and Tim and Alex I know are coming. There will be more, I'm sure! You'd love it!!!!! I see a rally starting to get Joel to run it. You could make a vacation out of it and bring the family, as Traverse City has lots to do and you're 3 hours away from Mackinac....Do it, do it!!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Have you and Martin met "Penelope" yet? Perhaps the 5 of us could grab breakfast/lunch one Sunday.

Hi Jim!!!! We've met "Penelope" in person, but have yet to meet her now that she's in Chicago. I L-O-V-E your idea for a breakfast/lunch one Sunday!! Maybe we can throw something out to her? Great thinking, Jim!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:The last few runs have gone good (knock on wood). I have had little knee pain in my left knee and think that short period of time off helped. I am finding that the 9:30-9:45 pace is pretty comfortable, which is good.

Thursday -

Friday -

Does this mean that you are back to blogging your training?? I need to know how my teammates are progressing!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mrs. Schuey wrote:The last few runs have gone good (knock on wood). I have had little knee pain in my left knee and think that short period of time off helped. I am finding that the 9:30-9:45 pace is pretty comfortable, which is good.

Thursday -

Friday -

Does this mean that you are back to blogging your training?? I need to know how my teammates are progressing!!!

Haha! Yes....

I did 11 miles yesterday with an avg pace of 9:17 for the distance. I will post splits tonight.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:44 pm

Good to hear you're feeling good running again. I'm hoping we can get together soon even though I'm getting busy actually working. Nothing compared to what your hubby and you are doing with the new job and all. Yeah, so we need to find a block of time for all of us to hook up. I'll call Schuey.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm

fostever wrote:Good to hear you're feeling good running again. I'm hoping we can get together soon even though I'm getting busy actually working. Nothing compared to what your hubby and you are doing with the new job and all. Yeah, so we need to find a block of time for all of us to hook up. I'll call Schuey.

Steve, I can't believe how fast this summer went! We definitely have to find some time to hang out. Give Martin a call and we'll figure something out! Very Happy
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm

That is a healthy line up of races!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 pm

I still think that you should get a commission for every runner who signs up for Bayshore thanks to your advertising, or at least a discount on your entry.

Good training! Glad to see you update your blog, too.

How's your leg? knee?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Day two with knee strap....yep, you read it right. I had a killer run on Sunday; felt like I could have gone on and on and on. I had no knee pain during that run and it was a great confidence boost. Fast forward to Monday - not so lucky. My damn knee got really angry at me, which in turn, got me really frustrated. Flame

I started out the run at around 10:30 because it was a shakeout run for me. The pain started within the first few steps and I chalked it up to it hurting because of the slower pace and I kept running. It never went away and actually got gradually worse. I got to .48 when it felt like a knife stabbed me under my kneecap and I was forced to walk. I walked home and figured I'd run the next day. While walking to work on Tuesday, my knee barked at me and I had a dull/achy pain all day. I went home at lunch and grabbed my knee strap and put it on. I am wearing it again today at work and will wear it every day leading up to the marathon. I don't have the pain today so I'm going to try running again tonight.

This is such a frustrating thing, but I'm going to make the best of it. I blame it on the years of basketball I played from 4th grade through 12th grade. I call my knees the basketball knees Basketball Here's a pic of me at work today (yes, I wear running shoes to work. No, I don't care how it looks with my dress clothes, I will always put comfort before stuffy). Running Running

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011 - Page 18 Lisakneestrap

Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:17 pm

ouch! Please give yourself a few consecutive days off. I had the knife under knee thing, too, and I know for me, rest is about the only cure.

I wear running shoes to work, too, but most of my co-workers do too, do so it's all good. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Does the knee strap work for the knife under the knee cap pain? Like Julie, I know that feeling as well.

Hope it gets better!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Julie wrote:ouch! Please give yourself a few consecutive days off. I had the knife under knee thing, too, and I know for me, rest is about the only cure.

I wear running shoes to work, too, but most of my co-workers do too, do so it's all good. Very Happy

Hey Julie! The knife under the knee hurts, doesn't it? Sad That's cool that you wear running shoes to work too! I've actually gotten a few other people to wear their running shoes too. I actually started wearing them continuously after my ankle injury. I didn't want to risk wearing heels and then losing balance and twisting my ankle. So I thought, "screw it" and kept wearing them!

KathyK wrote:Does the knee strap work for the knife under the knee cap pain? Like Julie, I know that feeling as well.

Hope it gets better!
Believe it or not, it actually does help, at least for me. The strap pushes on the tendon and helps the knee track right. I'm sorry to hear that you know what the "knife under the knee" expression means Sad. It's not fun and it's incredibly frustrating. Flame I took 2 weeks off and I thought it helped because I ran 11 miles with no pain this past Sunday and then, boom, on Monday....no such luck Sad I hope you feel better too and check out the strap if you haven't already!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Ok...so...my run went good tonight. Go figure.

I tried running on Monday and ended up with a realllllllllly angry knee. The type of pain that makes you want to throw up. Tuesday, I was in pain just walking to work so I didn't run and took it easy. I also started wearing my knee strap on Tuesday to work.

I wore my knee strap to work today and decided to try running when I got home. I had no set mileage, just wanted to go out and run. Martin and i headed outside and we started our runs. He took off to run his 10 miles and took off to run my whatever miles - could be one, could be 3, who knew? I had a little pain in my knee when I started, but nothing like Monday and nothing that got worse. I was at 2 miles and I was approaching McCormick Place (I ran south and McCormick is about 2 1/2 miles from our place). I was feeling good. I was feeling strong. I was feeling hopeful (bargaining with my knee to just keep feeling good), I was feeling pissed, I was feeling determined. As I approached McCormick place I thought to myself, "Enough! Enough! This marathon is mine. It's mine. I deserve it. Knee pain or not, it's mine and I own it". Here's why: 1) 2007 sucked NUTS as my first marathon. It sucked. The heat, the lack of water and Gatorade, the puddles of blood I hopped over just to name a few. I trained RELIGIOUSLY for that race. Every run, I ran. All the long runs, I ran. The race? Cancelled at my mile 21. The only good thing about that race was meeting Chas and Tim and the rest of the V-Teamers. Everything else sucked. Oh, the other nice thing was having my sister there to cheer me on and buying me water to hand me on the course, because, of course, they ran out Smile. 2) in 2009 when I signed up for the Chicago Marthon, I ended up with really bad shin splints and had to DNS 2 weeks before. Then, with hopes of running in 2010, I trained through the winter and ended up tearing ligaments in my ankle and getting a blood clot in December, 2009 (to avoid the little sledders and their parents in my way, I moved over to the right and ate the ground thanks to a 3 inch drop in the sidewalk. Trust me, this year, they will be mowed over. Sorry). I obviously did not sign up to run in 2010. Dum, dum, dum.....2011 - THE date. I have a vengeance with this course. I hate it but I love it. I hate if for my memories in 2007. I hate it because when I ran the Detroit Half a couple of weeks later, I stood in the middle of the street by myself in a big city. I heard sirens and I was taken back to the horror that was Chicago, 2007. The best thing about that day? I ran and I got over my negative connotation with sirens in the big city. That's good, especially considering I now live in Chicago! Hahaha!

Here's what I thought on my run as I approached McCormick Place (where the Chicago Marathon Expo is held): I'm not letting this happen again to me. I'm not letting another stupid ass injury keep me from running Chicago, and running the best I can. Can I promise a fast time? Absolutely not. Can I promise I'll give it my all? Absolutely. I'm not only doing it for redemption on the course. I'm doing it for all those that have and are affected by Alzheimer's. I'm doing it for all of my coworkers that took up running because of me. I'm doing it for those same coworkers that are just as excited about October 9th as I, because they've dealt with me over the last 2 1/2 years and all of my running and all of my injuries. There's a feeling of hope for me and it means a lot. I have a few of them that will be out cheering for me and that means a lot. I'm doing it for my husband that continuously supports and loves me. The same person that gets really, really sad when he comes home from a run and asks how my run went and I start crying. Every mile of the race will be special because I have an amazing husband, who will be a little over an hour ahead of me, and will leave his footprints for me on the streets of Chicago to follow in. Every person out there that has supported me in this training cycle and my granny that has Alzheimer's will be with me in spirt.

So, to my knees: go fuck yourselves. I'm over you hurting me and trying to sabotage my training - especially this close to the race. How dare you? Screw off because no matter how much you hurt me, this race is mine. Fast or slow, it's mine.

Tonight's run turned out to be a pretty pain free run of what ended up being 6 miles. Average pace was 8:55 and following are my splits:

1.00 10:06.0
2.00 9:06.8
3.00 8:58.0
4.00 8:32.6
5.00 8:32.6
6.00 8:21.5
.08 7:57.6
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:43 am

I hate stupid ass injuries too. I'm glad to read that you still have your determination to get out there. I hope your knees feel better soon. My years of basketball come back to me sometimes too, so I know that unpleasant feeling knees can have. I hope that over the next few weeks they feel better and that Chicago is the special race you deserve.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:57 am

I'm laughing at your post Lisa! With that attitude and determination you are going to do great in Chicago! Kick ass!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Hey,

Hope that pain in the... knee stays away for the race. I saw the pic and thought Martin was wearing dresses to his new job since your legs are really cut like his. I too am getting some dull pain in the knee but no sharp stuff. It is crazy how fast the summer went, kinda like life. Now we just need to have the time between the horn and the finish line go even faster, woooosh cheers
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 pm

That was a pretty funny post (at the end). I'm guessing you scared the pain away.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Matt W wrote:

I hate stupid ass injuries too. I'm glad to read that you still have your determination to get out there. I hope your knees feel better soon. My years of basketball come back to me sometimes too, so I know that unpleasant feeling knees can have. I hope that over the next few weeks they feel better and that Chicago is the special race you deserve.

Thanks Matt, those basketball knees hurt, don't they?!? I have my determination because of the kind posts and words of encouragement like yours. I hope you're doing well!

Peg Coover wrote:I'm laughing at your post Lisa! With that attitude and determination you are going to do great in Chicago! Kick ass!

Haha! Yeah, I'm not one to drop the F-bomb very much online, but man, the knee thing is frustrating. I think I scared it because it hasn't hurt since (knock on wood)..hahaha!

fostever wrote:Hey,

Hope that pain in the... knee stays away for the race. I saw the pic and thought Martin was wearing dresses to his new job since your legs are really cut like his. I too am getting some dull pain in the knee but no sharp stuff. It is crazy how fast the summer went, kinda like life. Now we just need to have the time between the horn and the finish line go even faster, woooosh cheers

Thanks Steve...I think I have a ways to go before they get cut like his though. I'll be starting the 30 Day Shred so we'll see how cut I can get! I hope your knee pay stays away! The time between the horn and finish line will go fast!! cheers

JohnP wrote:That was a pretty funny post (at the end). I'm guessing you scared the pain away.

I'm glad you got a kick out of it! Haha! It was simultaneously funny and cathartic to write..haha! You are correct, I do believe I scared the pain away! bounce bounce
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Well, we are back from Dances With Dirt and can I say....I LOVED IT! My team was great, the day was great...I highly recommend doing!

Martin and I arrived on Friday night, and had to meet our teams in the lobby at 6am. We all met there and then we all dispersed with our teams. My team assigned the following legs to me: The Stampede (leg 1 at 4.75 miles), This Sucks (leg 6 at 5.15 miles) and Stupid Lake (leg 13 at 3.65 miles) for a total of 13.55 miles. I ran really well for being on the trails and am happy with my effort. The leg, This Sucks, was quite some fun! I ran the first couple of miles in moderate sludge thinking that it wasn't too bad. Then, I approached a river where I needed to jump in, chest deep and hold onto a rope and pull myself across...only to hop over a log and end up stuck in waist deep bog/swamp. It was so smelly and fun, I told my team that the leg should be, "This Sucks that it's over". I tagged my teammate and then went to rinse off. After the legs were complete, I met back up with Martin and we hung out and then the teams went back to the hotel. I am at work and can't upload the pics now, so I'll do it tonight when I get home. It was a complete blast!

Last edited by Mrs. Schuey on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next