365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Kara Sevda

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kara Sevda

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Michele - Definitely on the same wavelength as you regarding pace distribution. I've been keeping a somewhat close eye on how my pace distribution is as compared to what it was for my last full training cycle. Instead of a bunch of word and numbers, here's some screenshots to illustrate the difference:

The top 3 charts are my pace distribution this week, the last month, and this "season" (since Dec 12, 2011). The bottom is for my entire 2nd marathon training cycle. The zones are based on my functional threshold pace (1hr max), which was just sub-6:30 for the second marathon and I'm estimating at 6:45 now. So the pace zones aren't the exact same, but the relative effort/intensity is. As you can see, I'm a bit skewed towards the faster end now. I'm going to take that into account from here on out and make sure that my recovery days are truly recovery, leaving the "faster" stuff for the days when it will count.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Quick update:

15min warm-up followed by a planned 30min of moderate/GA. Turned into marathon effort because I was excited. 7:25 pace for that section. Exactly where I thought I was right now. Felt great to turn over some miles at that pace.

Slower 75min tomorrow.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:47 pm

In accordance with trying to be a bit more intentional regarding my paces, today was an actual LSD run. My goal average pace was 8:34, or 7mph. Ended up with 8:33, so I'd say I was pretty good on that one. 75min and 8.78mi total.

40min recovery tomorrow and it's off to DC I go!

---

EDIT: This blog needs a bit more personal flavor, so here's some non-running stuff. Given that it's Valentine's Day, I figured I'd do something nice for Aileen, even though I can't personally be there to do it. Let's see... Flowers? No; she's not enough of a girl. Chocolate? Not unless it's white, and even then, it has to be in cookies. Edible Arrangement? Really, fruit?!

No, my master plan was to have her best friend go out and get supplies for brunch, ie champagne, orange juice, and donuts. So, when my lovely lady got home from her run this morning (I'm helping her train for a half marathon), she was surprised with the recovery food of champions: mimosas and donuts. Mind you, champagne and donuts are her favorite foods in the world. No joke. Needless to say, it went over well, and she showed up to her first class significantly buzzed. You're welcome, babe.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 am

Very sweet, Mike. I approve.

As for the pace charts, well done and you are on the right track. I'm very much like you in that I tend to run more mileage in the faster end of my distribution, so I try hard to slow it down on recovery and long runs. I always have an "endurance" issue rather than a speed one.

Enjoy your time in DC - hope the weather stays nice.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Glad you approve, Michele. Smile She was much happier about it than I had even expected, so it was a nice reaction.

---

40min recovery today - 8:50 pace. A little fast, but I was kind of in a "I don't feel good; let's get this over with" mood, since I haven't slept well all week. And I was up at 6am this morning, which didn't help.

Oh, and the fun continues with a red eye tonight! What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Red-eyes are awful. Especially when they add to the running total of 24hrs without sleep. Yep. But then again, Aileen and company pulled an all-nighter last night, too, so we're all in the same boat of being exhausted.

That said, I was able to get in a good 40mins today. Took Kevin's advice to head to the technological high school about a mile away and did 5x ~100m VO2max intervals with ~300m recoveries, then headed back to Gallaudet and hopped the fence to run on their track. 2x 400m (1:30 each) with 400m "recoveries" followed by a 5min cool down. Just a little speed to prime myself for some more VO2max work next week.

Strange being here and meeting everyone I've been Skyping/texting with for months. And definitely weird to be back in a college dorm. So much more freedom in my apartment.

1hr tomorrow morning - gonna head to the Nat'l Mall and turn around at 30.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Man, no one told me that running through the Mall was like running through an actual mall... Meaning so much stop-and-go that I should've just run Thursday's as an easy/recovery run and let yesterday's be a fartlek, since that's what it became.

I have to admit that I was a bit speedier than intended, given the excitement of being in a new place and running on the Mall - only the second time in my life I've been there, and last time we only went West of the Washington Monument, whereas I started in the ghetto to the East this time. No, really, it's a ghetto.

My right quad was crampy at the beginning of the run, so I dialed it way back, but once it loosened up I just let whatever pace happened happen.

8:10ish average pace.

Oh, and there was an arrest of a would-be suicide bomber who was planning to hit the Capitol right around the time I was running there. Sweet.

40min recovery with the lovely girl today. Should be fun after a night of Spanish tapas, sangria, and free drinks at a bar because someone decided to hit on the cute deaf girl while she was on her Valentine's date with her boyfriend. To which many onlookers commented, "Wait, he seriously didn't realize you were her boyfriend?" Gotta love drunk guys who open their wallets. What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:26 pm

40min with Aileen today. Very late start on the day, so we didn't even start the run until around 1:45... And we hadn't eaten breakfast yet. Yep, that's college for ya.

Started with a 10min warm-up at 10min/mile pace (her normal easy pace) then dialed it down to 9min/mi for the next half hour (my estimate of her HMP). She was definitely in the tempo range, so I think that my guess was pretty accurate, but she toughed through it when it got a bit tough and didn't yell at me for being so "talkative" ("signative"?) until after the run What a Face

Day off tomorrow; it's been a good stepback week.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Ok, Mike - how do you "talk" with Aileen on a run??? Just more curious than anything else? Glad you are enjoying your time in DC and back "in college". I just need to stop reading as my daughter will be a Freshman in September.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Champagne and doughnuts? Mmm. Aileen has very good taste.

You need to bring a camera along on some of these crazy far-flung runs you take. We want to share vicariously in your adventures.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Michele - The biggest complication comes from me taking off my arm warmers and having them wrapped around my left hand, which is my dominant signing hand (meaning there's a lot more information produced from that hand than the right hand, which would only have a limited number of possible handshapes). Also, she has to actually be looking at me and focusing as opposed to just letting my mindless blather mindlessly creep into her consciousness via voicing it.

So I try to reserve my commentary for things that are particularly funny (older gentleman near the Washington Monument said "atta girl" to her as we ran by) or for encouragement when she's getting tired.
It's much more difficult for me to sign while cycling (though I still can), but easier for her to watch.

Regarding college... Well, people say that Gallaudet's actually a pretty wild campus. Deaf kids like to party. From my experience, it's a bit wilder than my undergrad years. So there's still hope!

---

Mark - I actually tend to bring a camera on my hikes and some runs; I'm just really bad at using it. Go figure.

---

Today's training was sleeping from 3am to 11am. Later, it will include fish tacos (which apparently are relatively unknown in DC!) and beer for a pre-birthday dinner celebration.

And just an FYI for everyone - the sign for the Washington Monument, apparently, is a middle finger.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Training is looking good Mike. I too like to track the distribution of my paces, though I use 4 categories- easy, long, general aerobic, marathon, tempo and interval. Either way, definitely useful to make sure you're balancing hard/easy appropriately.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Dave - Thanks for stopping by. I could definitely clump together LSD/easy (and I tend to read them as one), and I really only look at the total percentage at/above MP. Within individual runs, I'll look at more closely if it's intervals. I just based all these off of McMillan's calculator and filled in the gaps with categories of my own making.

---

Hour and a half today; probably my best "long" run yet, aside from the normal Mike's-running-issues. Seriously, thank God for public restrooms and thank God I'm not modest, because when I found one on the basin halfway through my run and stepped in to find that the stalls were doorless, I really didn't think twice about it.

Personal details aside, I got a nice blend of "the ghetto" for the first mile or two, then the mall, then the basin, back through the mall (and a nice Ron Paul rally going on at the Washington Monument Amphitheater), up Capitol "hill" (yes, that's a sleight for all you east-coasters who think that's a hill), and through "the ghetto" again to get back to Gallaudet. So with scenery changing every 15-20 minutes, the 11 miles went by pretty quickly and I feel no worse for the wear. After a 2 mile warm-up at 8:45, average pace was in the low 8's at an easy effort level. Glad my blood is finally thickening up enough to allow me to run in the low 40s in shorts and a tee, too.

---

I'm heading back to Auburn tomorrow afternoon. I'm both looking forward to it and not, for the obvious reasons. It'll be nice to actually have a kitchen - though gorging on surprisingly abundant vegan-friendly cafeteria food has been enjoyable - and bed that I can fit/sleep in, no neighbors who play LOUD music starting (STARTING!) at 2am, a bathroom that doesn't include the risk of getting a $50 fine every time I use it (dorms are separated by sex)... But it's going to be hard to leave so soon after Aileen and I finally started feeling normal and reconnected again.

In the end, it'll probably be easy enough to just keep telling myself that it's only two and a half weeks until I see her again - sheesh, I'm such a lovesick puppy - and it's probably for the best that I was here long enough to really understand a bit about her day-to-day life so I can actually relate when she's feeling deflated or homesick or stressed.

One last run in DC tomorrow - probably just around the Gallaudet track so Aileen and I can run "together" again.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Well, super-busy day yesterday in DC getting all packed up and ready to go while squeezing in a run and a couple meals. Did 40min, mostly just putzing around the track in slow circles so Aileen could look out her dorm room window from time to time and say hello. I know, I'm a nice guy.

Then a long ride on the Metro and Metrobus to the airport - fortunately, I love public transit and the feeling of accomplishment it gives me when I figure out how to get from point A to point B in an unfamiliar city. Even better, the bus driver ended the ride by wishing us a safe journey back and leading a sing-along of Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World."

This morning, a planned hour with 3 sets of 5x 60/60 w/ 5min recoveries between each set. Nailed the workout by starting with an "easy" first set - RPE 7-8, or just above tempo - and leaving a bit of gas in the tank for the last 3 to be all out intervals. Total of 1hr5min.

And my first class got canceled, so I don't have to rush around anymore! Life is good.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Hello, Winter; it's good to know you're trying on a few different outfits this year.

It's 70 degrees and breezy today. What?! My curtains and windows are open for the first time in months - seriously, months - and the only thing stopping me from taking a six pack down to the River and wasting away the afternoon is my lack of a drinking buddy, seeing as it's a Thursday.

For the runner who's fully acclimated to the mid-40s, this feels like the middle of summer. Strange how in the middle of the summer I would've killed for 70 degrees.

Anyway, a nice and easy-ish hour today. Easy-ish because I hit some trails that I haven't run on in a while and my legs had to quickly remember how to run on severely rolling terrain. Around 600' total gain/loss over the course of 7 miles.

I'm noticing more and more that around 30min into a run, I start to feel super-motivated and want to start tacking on tons of time to what I've planned. I'm not sure if it's the warm weather or what, but running is feeling good and natural again.

First 2hr run in... ages... tomorrow. Then whatever I can squeeze in before my 8am class on Saturday, hopefully 45min to make the week an even 7hr. But seriously, who the hell scheduled my birthday this year? Class from 8am to 6pm, then a mandatory play to observe a working interpreter from 8pm to probably around 10:30pm. Maybe I'll just push it back a day and make Sunday a lazy day full of beer and nothing.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 pm

75F here as well, and it felt heavenly as it was not all humid by Atlanta standards. I did run at lunch though as I'm guessing it might be warm come April, but I'm praying for not.

Keep up the good work, Mike, and I'm glad you had a good trip east.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Always great when running is feeling good. Take advantage of the weather and tack on some miles (sounds like a good motto).
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:15 am

This is just a note to myself in case I look back on this after Boston and want something other than a marathon to work towards:

Aileen and I were joking about racing each other, as she can actually outkick me, in the mile distance. She said she wanted to get to a 5min mile by the end of the summer, as my fastest mile estimate (never actually done it) is in the 5:15 range. Which got me thinking... I'd be awesome to see 4:xx for a mile time.

Mid-late summer goal: break 5min in the mile.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:51 am

Sub-5? Sounds like a fun challenge.

Speaking of challenges: You think you'll be able to handle it when Aileen smokes ya?
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 am

Hahahahahaha!

We'll see, Mark. As long as she doesn't go into her usual "I just won at something competitive, let me talk a ton of shit" routine.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Two hours today, and not a step of it was very fun. Just tired and knew it was going to be rough from the beginning - my legs are toast. I grumbled through it, nearly bonking already 30min in, rationing my single granola bar for the next 1hr30min, and came though with some decent splits in the end. 14.6x miles.

Momma sent me homemade brownies AND store-bought cinnamon rolls for my birthday. Win.

45min tomorrow morning, then class all day, then sushi, then a mandatory play. Yeah, I'm totally going to start drinking the minute I wake up Sunday and not stop until I'm asleep. What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Maybe the cinnamon rolls and brownies will be good fuel for the next few runs. Sounds yummy! And Happy birthday!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:15 am

Brownies AND cinnamon rolls? Your mom rocks.

Enjoy your BD!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:

Mid-late summer goal: break 5min in the mile.

I can still vividly remember my first sub-5. It was rep 1 of a 3 x 1 mile workout. I knew I was ready so I wanted to do it on the first rep before risking getting too tired.

Its a cool barrier to break. Good luck!

And thanks to this post, now I want a new Mile PR. Twisted Evil
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Julie and Mark - Yes, my mom rocks. I gave away the cinnamon rolls to my class today, since we have an all-day (10hr) class and a play later. But the brownies will be awesome fuel.

Dave - I may be PM'ing you for workouts to help me hit this goal. I suck with intervals, so pointers will be needed.

---

Oh, and I bailed on my run today. I'll do it tomorrow.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top