365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road to Nowhere

+28
Dave P
wheakory
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Dave-O
Dave Wolfe
ounce
Michael Enright
KathyK
dot520
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
Seth Harrison
MioMabusy
Joel H
Kenny B.
Glenn
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Traveller
Sara Jane
Bob
Mike MacLellan
Tom H
Mark B
32 posters

Page 23 of 43 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 33 ... 43  Next

Go down

Road to Nowhere - Page 23 Empty Re: Road to Nowhere

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:01 am

ounce wrote:Question on nuun and the like. If I'm going out on a 90 minute to 2 hour run, I have consumed 1 tablet before the run or immediately after. So what am I not thinking of to continue doing it before or after a run? I understand the gradual ingestion by it being in your bottle.

I think I'm going to end up getting the S!Caps, because it's in capsule form and easier to administer, as long as I keep it dry.

If you don't want to take nuun along with you, having some before and then after the run is better than nothing. A steady stream, to match the steady stream of electrolyte-rich sweat, would keep you in better balance and be preferable.

But I've used S-Caps and Endurolytes before, and they work pretty well, too. Just remember to take a good amount of water with them. You can keep them dry by storing them in a snack-sized ziplock bag. They do help.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Walk: 2.66 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy with some sun, a nice breeze. 60 degrees.

I took a quick jaunt over from the office over the Columbia River via the Interstate 5 Bridge, tagged dirt on the Oregon side and headed back. I was feeling peppy, and it showed in a faster pace. The wind kindly was blowing off the river, so I didn't come back smelling like diesel exhaust. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:48 am

Mark B wrote:Walk: 2.66 miles

I took a quick jaunt over from the office over the Columbia River via the Interstate 5 Bridge, tagged dirt on the Oregon side and headed back. I was feeling peppy, and it showed in a faster pace. The wind kindly was blowing off the river, so I didn't come back smelling like diesel exhaust. Smile

I trust that there is a sidewalk over the bridge?Wink
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 am

Michael Enright wrote:

Thankfully, yes, though it's not a particularly wide one...

Road to Nowhere - Page 23 18436011

Whenever a bike goes past, I have to step between the bridge supports so they can go by. The Jersey Barrier that separates the freeway from the sidewalk abuts the bridge supports, as you can see in this photo from the other side of the bridge, which appears to have even less elbow room...

Road to Nowhere - Page 23 Bridge10

Normally, this isn't a big deal (except when the wind is blowing the diesel exhaust across the sidewalk - ick). I simply turn and check for cyclists behind me every few minutes, step aside and let them pass. Though yes, I do wonder what I'd do if I saw some accident on the bridge heading straight toward me: dive for the protection of the barrier, or go over the edge and drop 60-70 feet into very cold, swift water?

Anyway... the odds are small for that sort of thing. More likely is what happened yesterday: I was starting to cross the bridge when I noticed a very large fellow who seemed to be having some sort of mental/neurological difficulties. He was slowly shuffling up the sidewalk, dead square center, clenching and muttering to himself. He was making slow progress and was almost certainly harmless, but the last thing I wanted to do was to startle him or piss him off. When you've got freeway traffic on one side and a river on the other, you think about these things. Anyway, I politely went around him - on both the outbound and return trip - and everything was, of course, fine. I'm not even sure that I registered when he saw me, other than a fleeting moment of recognition in his eyes. The last I saw him, he was slowly inching his way toward Portland. Poor guy. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to be in his shoes.

Read more about the Interstate 5 Bridge here.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Low HR Run: 50 minutes (4.3 miles)

Weather: Overcast, muggy and windy. 56 degrees, 54 degree dewpoint (92% humidity), gusts to 15 mph. Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, T, windbreaker (stowed at turnaround).

We had a lot of rain this morning, and it was still windy and very muggy when I went out for my run. I was eager to try out some technique refinements I've been considering while reading a book on barefoot running, and I was pleased to see that - sometimes at least - the adjustments coincided with a drop in my HR. I couldn't sustain the adjustments (which had to do with hit and shoulder rotation and pelvic tilt) because they still feel awkward, but it was intriguing.

Of course, it also meant that my perceived effort level was all over the place. I'd thought my HR would have been farther out of whack than it appears from my Garmin data, so that's something. It was also a teensy bit faster at about the same HR, so I see a little progress there, as well.

With any luck, I'll be able to get out for a little longer tomorrow. Or do a barefoot run. Ah. It's nice to have choices!

Average HR for entire run: 129
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:

Thankfully, yes, though it's not a particularly wide one...

Road to Nowhere - Page 23 18436011

Whenever a bike goes past, I have to step between the bridge supports so they can go by. The Jersey Barrier that separates the freeway from the sidewalk abuts the bridge supports, as you can see in this photo from the other side of the bridge, which appears to have even less elbow room...

Road to Nowhere - Page 23 Bridge10

Normally, this isn't a big deal (except when the wind is blowing the diesel exhaust across the sidewalk - ick). I simply turn and check for cyclists behind me every few minutes, step aside and let them pass. Though yes, I do wonder what I'd do if I saw some accident on the bridge heading straight toward me: dive for the protection of the barrier, or go over the edge and drop 60-70 feet into very cold, swift water?

Anyway... the odds are small for that sort of thing. More likely is what happened yesterday: I was starting to cross the bridge when I noticed a very large fellow who seemed to be having some sort of mental/neurological difficulties. He was slowly shuffling up the sidewalk, dead square center, clenching and muttering to himself. He was making slow progress and was almost certainly harmless, but the last thing I wanted to do was to startle him or piss him off. When you've got freeway traffic on one side and a river on the other, you think about these things. Anyway, I politely went around him - on both the outbound and return trip - and everything was, of course, fine. I'm not even sure that I registered when he saw me, other than a fleeting moment of recognition in his eyes. The last I saw him, he was slowly inching his way toward Portland. Poor guy. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to be in his shoes.

Read more about the Interstate 5 Bridge here.

Interesting stuff! I live in Portland. Well, Portland, CT, a very different place, I am quite sure. But it is connected to Middletown, on the other side of the Connecticut River, by the Arrigoni Bridge. It, too, has sidewalks, and they are often traversed by muttering people who seem to have some issues, and might be pushing along a shopping cart full of garbage. I've walked across it (about a mile), have only run halfway across it (and back), and have biked across it (on the sidewalk - it would be suicidal to bike in the traffic lanes). It rises up to a point where the bridge deck is about 90 feet above the water and was built in 1938. I wish they'd tear it down and start over, but there is no money in anyone's budget for that. More on the bridge, if you were curious for any reason, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrigoni_Bridge
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Interesting stuff! I live in Portland. Well, Portland, CT, a very different place, I am quite sure. But it is connected to Middletown, on the other side of the Connecticut River, by the Arrigoni Bridge. It, too, has sidewalks, and they are often traversed by muttering people who seem to have some issues, and might be pushing along a shopping cart full of garbage. I've walked across it (about a mile), have only run halfway across it (and back), and have biked across it (on the sidewalk - it would be suicidal to bike in the traffic lanes). It rises up to a point where the bridge deck is about 90 feet above the water and was built in 1938. I wish they'd tear it down and start over, but there is no money in anyone's budget for that. More on the bridge, if you were curious for any reason, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrigoni_Bridge

Nice bridge! It seems pretty similar to ours in a number of ways. Except there is a big effort to get ours replaced, because it tends to be a bottleneck - especially when they raise the lift span to allow river traffic to pass. It is, as you'd imagine, a huge controversy and a regular topic of news coverage in my fair city. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.08 miles on (mostly) dry asphalt

Weather: Cloudy, mild, breezy, threatening rain. 53 degrees, 79% humidity. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: Post breakfast; drank 16 ounces of nuun immediately before run.

I was sore from yesterday's form experiments, so I decided to keep mixing it up and went out to do some barefoot laps around the block before the next rain system came in. It was cloudy, breezy and threatening, but I only got a few drops before deciding I'd done enough and headed in.

I've been trying to absorb the advice of Barefoot Ken Bob as I approach my runs, trying to relax and bend my knees more, and to lift off rather than push off. It creates a sensation very much like flowing over the landscape rather than bouncing, which is really cool.

It also seems to come at a lower energy cost, as well. I settled into a pace that felt comfortable and relaxed and was surprised at how low my HR was - even going up the little rises in my neighborhood. My pace wasn't exactly glacial, either. Here's how it looked. 10:30/128 (starting mile); 10:20/134; 10:39/133. Crazy! I toyed with the idea of pressing the pace to hover at 138 the whole time, just to see how fast it would be, but my body was happy with relaxing into the run and said no.

I wrapped it up when I started to feel a little fuzzy-headed and it got harder to concentrate on relaxing and maintaining good form. It was time to head in.

Average HR for entire run: 132
(Note: used squat stretch before and after run)

ps. I wondered if pounding a pint of fluid had any impact on my run. Why I don't know if I can answer that, I do think it might have had an impact on my weekly weigh-in. I was up from last week. A pint weighs 1 pound, 1 ounce (yes, I weighed it), which might have skewed things a bit. Maybe. Good thing I have no OCD tendencies. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Low HR Run: 10.15 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild, muggy. 49 degrees, 90% humidity. Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, T. Fuel: Coffee and unsweetened oatmeal before. Handheld with nuun. May have started to bonk.

Down to the Salmon Creek Greenway Trail. I experimented with breakfast, using old fashioned oatmeal with sugar-free flavoring added rather than my normal packet of instant sweetened oatmeal. I wondered if it'd help me over time to avoid a sugar spike. Answer? Not really. I'll probably go back to the packets and their little jolt of sugar from now on.

The run felt easy and light at first but got harder after 5 miles, when I had to struggle to keep my HR down. It didn't help that my training partner was feeling peppy and kept going on at our earlier faster pace, dragging me along a bit. (Oddly, he got peppy when I jokingly mentioned us running a 50-miler to celebrate our 50th birthdays in a ... while.) I got him to walk a few times on some of the climb back out of the greenway, at least.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 135

Weight note: I weighed myself this morning to see if my weight bump up on Friday was a fluke, possibly caused by chugging too much water an hour earlier. It was back down to 166, which made me feel a little better. I'm not officially recording my weight in tenths of pounds (and yes, I do round down), but I was happy to see that I did lose a fraction of a pound from the previous weigh-in. Whew!

Afternoon addendum: Well, I must have worked harder on this run than I thought. I "sprung a leak" later in the day. Sigh...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Well, this is an annoyingly unexpected twist...

I was rushing to wash a knife last night after dinner and was momentarily distracted when *ziiip!* I felt something very sharp running across the back of my index finger. It didn't hurt that much, but one glance and I knew I was going to be headed to urgent care. Oh, man...

Long story short: it was just deep enough to need stitches (3) but not deep enough to hit the tendon. Whew!

Still, it's quite the aggravation. It's a beautiful day out today, but I don't think running with an oozing wound and a dressing would be a smart thing to do. Drat.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Last I heard, Mark, you don't run on your hands. Just sayin'. What a Face

PS. Was the dinner worth the cut?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Last I heard, Mark, you don't run on your hands. Just sayin'. What a Face

PS. Was the dinner worth the cut?

Funn-nee, Mike. Let's say I am fighting temptation as I type this. I asked the nurse last night about running. She shrugged, and said, "Well, as long as you don't whack your finger on something..."

Dinner was yummy: Grilled chicken (with my secret marinade), red and green peppers and onions, served with Mexican rice, vegetarian refried beans and whole grain white corn tortillas, salsa and a little cheese. Mmm.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 pm

50 milers at 50, bleeding index fingers....is Wendy rubbing off on you or what?!?!?! Or is it the other way around? You always like to keep things interesting.

Sorry to hear about the finger and glad it wasn't worse.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Joel H wrote:50 milers at 50, bleeding index fingers....is Wendy rubbing off on you or what?!?!?! Or is it the other way around? You always like to keep things interesting.

Sorry to hear about the finger and glad it wasn't worse.

You know me, Joel. I'll do anything to get attention!

Now that I let that whole "50" cat out of the bag, maybe what I've been working on lately is starting to make sense. I want to learn how to move light and easy over distances, and pretty much everything I've been doing is done with that in mind. Which, I realize, explains why yesterday's longer run was so taxing. I was running with more of a barefoot style, but in shoes. My soles had kept me from overdoing it when using that form barefoot... but with shoes on, even Free 3.0s, it's was easy to push it too hard. Interesting.

Thanks on the finger. It's more an aggravation than anything. It'll be nice to add one more scar to my collection. Wink

I decided to not run today. Because of my overdoing it yesterday, I could use the full recovery day.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:10 pm

hmmm....let's see here....no more racing marathons for the year, moving more towards trail running and barefoot running while trying to stay as active as possible....color me pink and call me a pig, I am just SHOCKED that you would suggest running a 50 miler at 50 yrs old. JUST S.H.O.C.K.E.D!!!!! affraid

You don't do a very good job of keeping a secret, do you? Wink Wink Wink
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Joel H wrote:hmmm....let's see here....no more racing marathons for the year, moving more towards trail running and barefoot running while trying to stay as active as possible....color me pink and call me a pig, I am just SHOCKED that you would suggest running a 50 miler at 50 yrs old. JUST S.H.O.C.K.E.D!!!!! affraid

You don't do a very good job of keeping a secret, do you? Wink Wink Wink

pig <-Joel?

ANYway... it's a possibility and probably something more than a pipe dream at this point.

But if I were to do something like that, which one to do?

The aptly named "Old Goat 50-Mile Run" in the mountains overlooking my old home in Lake Elsinore, California - and with the 13,423 feet of climbing? Shocked

Or, the Mount Hood 50 - much closer to home, on the Pacific Crest Trail, with a more sedate 5,600 feet of climbing? (And probably homicidal mosquitoes?)

Or, the famed Americam River 50-Mile Endurance Run in Sacramento, which would offer free lodging, easy logistics (in-laws and their friends) but with the bulk of the 3,474-foot elevation gain in the last four miles?

Good thing I have time to think about it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 am

Nice emoticon!! It looks just like me...except I am a Hare.

I vote for either the Mount Hood 50 or the Americam River 50-Mile Endurance Run.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:16 am

A couple of days ago, I noticed a road sign that says: cyclists can use
the full lane. Our city is promoting cycle apparently and also numbers
the bike routes.

Guess you can put a sign on your back: runners can use the full lane. cheers

Btw, I vote for jump into the water.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

Joel H wrote:Nice emoticon!! It looks just like me...except I am a Hare.

I vote for either the Mount Hood 50 or the American River 50-Mile Endurance Run.

Okay, then: albino <--Joel!

Moving right along... realistically, the two 50s you mentioned would be the most likely. It'd be kind of cool to be up in the mountains I used to see out my front door, thinking, "I wonder what it'd be like to run up there?" but never actually doing it. (And there's a Mexican restaurant in Lake Elsinore with chile Colorado so delectable it'll make you weep with joy.) But it seems like a bit much for a first timer.

The American River 50 is run in April, which is a good time of the year in Northern California. And it's very close to where my brother-in-law and his family live, so lodging would be free, and it'd be pretty easy to assemble a crew out of them and their friends. Also, it'd offer plenty of distractions for Alita and Alec.

The Mount Hood 50 is run in late July, which is prime time in the Cascade Range, one of my favorite places. The elevation never gets above about 4,600 feet, so it's not like you're scraping the sky. I might be able to con, er, inspire my training partner to haul up his trailer to a campground as a base station, though it'd be more a solo affair.

The sad thing is, if I were to hew to a 50@50 approach, I'd have to wait until 2014 to do them. My birthday is right before Halloween, and there aren't many 50s in this neck of the woods at that time of the year. (Yes, I know JFK is in November, but that's cost-prohibitive.) There's always the notion of "50 before 50" - but I'm getting ahead of myself. One of my cardinal rules now is that I will not run anything like that until I'm ready.

Jerry wrote:A couple of days ago, I noticed a road sign that says: cyclists can use the full lane. Our city is promoting cycle apparently and also numbers the bike routes.

Guess you can put a sign on your back: runners can use the full lane. cheers

Btw, I vote for jump into the water.

Thanks for the tips, Jerry. The water temperature of the Columbia River just might be warm enough now that (if I didn't knock myself out in the fall or panic in the water) I could survive long enough to slowly work my way toward the shore while the current pulls me a mile or two downriver. Happy thoughts!

Funny about the bike lanes where you live. The sidewalk on the bridge has signs that say bikes must yield to pedestrians, but the pedestrians are always the ones who step aside. I'm fine with that, because it'd be easy for somebody on a bike to swerve into the bridge structure, over the Jersey barrier into traffic or over the edge. I'd hate to have that on my conscience. pale
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Walk: 2.25 miles

Weather: Overcast, 64 degrees, 78% humidity.

A lunchtime walk down to and out the Columbia River. It was mild and muggy, with a threat of rain that never materialized. I realized as I headed out that my schedule this week isn't going to allow much (if any) time for any real midweek runs, so this is going to be a big step-back week.

Maybe I'll try to sneak in a couple of short barefoot excursions before work and then walk whenever I can. I'll probably do a MAF test on Sunday.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Mt Hood 50 - that might be a tough one! I've done HTC a few times, and it is damn hilly around there - maybe why it is a mountain. LOL. I assume the race is on trails at the mountain base??
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Mt Hood 50 - that might be a tough one! I've done HTC a few times, and it is damn hilly around there - maybe why it is a mountain. LOL. I assume the race is on trails at the mountain base??

Hilly? Well, yeah... it's pretty hilly.

Road to Nowhere - Page 23 Mthood11

But what appeals to me about this route (unlike some godforsaken places in Indiana that shall go nameless), it takes miles to climb up the mountains, and it gives you miles to go back down. None of that relentless series of hill repeats that is.. er, that place I'm not talking about. Wink

As far as the route goes, there is no map that captures it all (the race website uses topo map sections), so I did my best to approximate the route on MapMyRun. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close.

The race starts in the middle, next to the lake by the 25 mile marker you see on the map. It heads north to Highway 26, returns back to the start and takes another out-and-back loop to the south before returning back to the start. Here's the overview. Note Mount Hood to the north. The run is entirely (or almost entirely) run on the Pacific Crest Trail.

Road to Nowhere - Page 23 Mthood12

It's a beautiful area. Most of the route is under forest cover, so that's pretty nice. There are also campgrounds nearby where I might be able to persuade my buddy to set up his trailer. One possibility, anyway.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 am

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles on dry asphalt

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild, a bit muggy. 55 degrees, 86% humidity. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: Post breakfast

I wanted to squeeze in a barefoot run this morning before work. I have plenty of distractions this week, so I need to get out whenever I can to get any miles in whatsoever.

Partly because of the rush, and partly because I didn't wait long enough after eating, I ran a higher HR than usual for barefoot laps. I was still uncomfortably full, and it showed. (When I, er, relieved my gastric pressure, interestingly enough, my HR would drop until things got shaken up again.)

I thought about doing two miles but decided to do a few more laps and ended up doing 3.1 miles.

Avearge HR for entire run: 139 (No warm up walk or cool down to skew the overall HR lower)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Walk: 2.66 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, a breeze. 62 degrees.

A lunchtime walk to Oregon and back via the Interstate Bridge. I'd already run 3 this morning, but I really didn't want to plunk down on my backside after eating lunch. It was just warm enough to go out in shirtsleeves and walk up and over the bridge and back comfortably.

Does this count as a double? geek
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:59 am

Barefoot Run: 2.05 miles on dry asphalt

Weather: Sunny, mild, a little muggy. 55 degrees, 84% humidity. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T.

I normally work an evening shift on Friday, but I had to go in early - losing a great morning for a run. Suspect

Still, rather than stressing about cramming in a run that I "must" do, I decided to try a different mindset: Treat it like playing hooky, and see how much of a run I can sneak in before I duty calls. Much more fun to think of it that way.

Fun and ease were my watchwords. I've been trying too hard lately, and that's counterproductive. So I focused on staying relaxed and keeping it easy. I also played around with a slight variance in form to see if I can stop abrading a spot behind my pinky toes. I only had time for two miles, but the results look promising.

I also noticed that, once I started to relax, my HR went down - especially when going uphill. It's like it's easier to get the body to "fall upwards" than it is to do it on the flat. At least I'm getting a sense of how it feels.

I checked my watch at 2 miles and, alas, I saw I couldn't do more. I felt like the kid getting called in my his mom. Aw! Do I have to?!? Very Happy

Average HR for entire run (no walking warmup or cool down): 136
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 43 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 33 ... 43  Next