365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Toast with Champaign, Illinois

+15
Gobbles
mul21
Michael Enright
Julie
carleenp
ounce
Jeff F
Neil Ruggiero
wheakory
Seth Harrison
John Kilpatrick
Alex Kubacki
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
19 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

A Toast with Champaign, Illinois  - Page 3 Empty Re: A Toast with Champaign, Illinois

Post  Jeff F Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we have a decent day. To bad it is not this weekend, the forecast is for a high in the 50's. I know it is way too early for next week, but a cool day is still a possibility.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

A Toast with Champaign, Illinois  - Page 3 Empty Re: A Toast with Champaign, Illinois

Post  Kenny B. Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Jeff F wrote:Let's keep our fingers crossed that we have a decent day. To bad it is not this weekend, the forecast is for a high in the 50's. I know it is way too early for next week, but a cool day is still a possibility.

I saw this weekend looks decent temp wise but windy! I checked out the extended forecast and it looks like RAIN but 8mph winds with gusts up to 23mph. However, should we even be looking at weather yet? lol affraid
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Maybe try running on a treadmilll. It would certainly be warmer and you can sweat a little.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Kenny B. wrote:11 more days to Illinois Marathon. I have been nailing all my training runs with record low HR on all runs from LSD, to GA, to recovery and pace. All signs point to sub 3:15 but it would be a 8 minute PR for me.

Weather is always a factor as we saw in Boston. Certainly heat and/or wind will need to cooperate. I think I can deal with rain being the least of the 3 evils. Ideally 40-45, light wind, overcast. But lets face it, it's an April 28th marathon in Illinois. Chance of that are slim but possible.

I ran today GA in 65-67 degrees at my HR was pretty high for this type of run. I am in no condition to run a marathon in warm weather. I think mid 50's light wind would keep my at goal A. But I have to prepared to go Goal B or C on the fly.

Normally, id back up this marathon with another 4-6 weeks later but unfortunately, I can't find one in driving distance on the weekends I am free. So most likely this will be a one shot marathon this cycle until Fall where it looks like possibly Steamtown, NYC(maybe), Philly. BQ will happen just a matter of who will be watching lol and when.

I've ran in a few hot weather marathons and really the trick is just drink a little at each aid station. I've found that works. Or even carry a small bottle in your hand if extreme temperatures, and you can always chuck it in the last two miles. I've carried a water bottle in my hand for several full marathon races even my 2:36 best time. I found this worked for me because I could take my gel at anytime and then sip on water to not cause stomach issues. Although, everyone is different. Your training is looking great and you will PR.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Kory,

I agree if it is warm I will use a handheld water bottle 20oz to sip in between stations if need be. I think the heat won't be like Boston but if it is Ill be prepared. Thanks for the reminder!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Jeff F wrote:Let's keep our fingers crossed that we have a decent day. To bad it is not this weekend, the forecast is for a high in the 50's. I know it is way too early for next week, but a cool day is still a possibility.

I saw this weekend looks decent temp wise but windy! I checked out the extended forecast and it looks like RAIN but 8mph winds with gusts up to 23mph. However, should we even be looking at weather yet? lol affraid

You are right, we should not be paying attention to the weather until late next week.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Jeff F wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

You are right, we should not be paying attention to the weather until late next week.

I peaked at it and it looks like mid-60's high for the day, which means it will likely be OK in the morning. But yeah it is too early.

I'm running the half, but with no goal other than to do it at roughly a 10:30 pace, which is the pace I want to run my marathon at (Traverse City Bayshore). I plan to line up with the 4:30 marathon pace team and hang with them, which is slightly above that pace I think.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:53 pm

So I just booked Buffalo Marathon as 2nd attempt after Illinois. I always like the back to back marathons! Seth is joining me as well so I am excited!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 pm

When is Buffalo?

I agree with staying away from weather checking until a few days before. When I was checking Cowtown in Ft Worth the week before it was supposed to be in the 40's that day and it was 68 at the start on race day and in the 80s by the finish.

I'm almost leaning toward just training for a generic fall marathon and then looking at the weather and doing something impromptu (of course that sounds good but really doesn't work well when I work almost every Saturday. My retired friend can pull it off, though).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:39 am

Kenny you're almost there. Taper well.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 am

Julie wrote:When is Buffalo?

I agree with staying away from weather checking until a few days before. When I was checking Cowtown in Ft Worth the week before it was supposed to be in the 40's that day and it was 68 at the start on race day and in the 80s by the finish.

I'm almost leaning toward just training for a generic fall marathon and then looking at the weather and doing something impromptu (of course that sounds good but really doesn't work well when I work almost every Saturday. My retired friend can pull it off, though).

I agree with weather. Just part of taper madness.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Kenny you're almost there. Taper well.

I intend to do that. Thanks!!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 pm

You're a madman looking at the weather already!Very Happy

C-U can be all over the board this time of year. Windy would never surprise me, especially in the spring, most likely straight out of the west. Temps could be anywhere - doesn't take much to heat it up if the sun is out. But it could be simply gorgeous.

Hope it's perfect!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Michael Enright wrote:You're a madman looking at the weather already!Very Happy

C-U can be all over the board this time of year. Windy would never surprise me, especially in the spring, most likely straight out of the west. Temps could be anywhere - doesn't take much to heat it up if the sun is out. But it could be simply gorgeous.

Hope it's perfect!

Perfect is not expected but I'd like to see it. Early 7am start so assuming I can get weather to stay below 60 and not sunny would be decent. Winds of course the lighter the better but below 10mph would be good. Above 10mph and heat above 60's I'd have to adjust my time accordingly. That is the plan.

Goal A: 3:14:XX if weather permits
Goal B: 3:19:XX
Goal C: Not sure yet.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:11 am

The forecast just got a lot better: high of 59 with 30% chance of rain.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 am

mul21 wrote:The forecast just got a lot better: high of 59 with 30% chance of rain.

Jim, I did see that! I have Champain on my phone checking it everyday like a true marathoner in taper mode!

Lets hope the winds are not to bad. I looked at the course and because it is kind of a circle or just not in any one direction for long the wind may not be a huge issues regardless.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 am

I really hope you two have great weather. It's been very chilly all week in CHicago and is supposed to stay that way.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 am

JohnP wrote:I really hope you two have great weather. It's been very chilly all week in CHicago and is supposed to stay that way.

Chilly is good! Thanks!!!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am

Kenny B. wrote:
mul21 wrote:The forecast just got a lot better: high of 59 with 30% chance of rain.

Jim, I did see that! I have Champain on my phone checking it everyday like a true marathoner in taper mode!

Lets hope the winds are not to bad. I looked at the course and because it is kind of a circle or just not in any one direction for long the wind may not be a huge issues regardless.

I got the worst possible wind last year. It was out of the southwest and I was fighting it for what felt like a majority of the race. Can't be any worse than that.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:01 am

High of 59, now that is my kind of weather!!!
Good Luck!
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:56 am

mul21 wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

I got the worst possible wind last year. It was out of the southwest and I was fighting it for what felt like a majority of the race. Can't be any worse than that.

Jim, I ran AC Marathon last year and the wind was terrible the gusts killed me by mile 16 I packed it in and walked/ran just to finish and get home. If wind is a factor I will adjust accordingly. Might make it a fun run if that is the case as Buffalo is 4 weeks later.

But lets stay positive and keep the winds at our tail! AS I see it now winds look like 15mph SE. But still to early to tell.

Gobbles wrote:High of 59, now that is my kind of weather!!!
Good Luck!

High of 59 works since it's a 7am start! lol
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:27 pm

If the wind is out of the E or SE, there are only a couple of spots were you will be exposed to the wind.

The first several miles will be going east, but it is pretty protected (and the runners should help block the wind) until the course heads south. It may be a little challenging during mile 6 on Florida to Stone Creek.

Once the course turns back West and North, it should be pretty good until around mile 20 when it goes from Maynard Lake onto Duncan and then turns back east during mile 21. There is some exposed sections along Sangamon in mile 23, and then in mile 25 transitioning from Hessel to Stadium Drive.

Hopefully this helps. Because it is a circular course there is no way to avoid the wind at some point on the course. The good thing is that it is relatively flat.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Jeff F wrote:If the wind is out of the E or SE, there are only a couple of spots were you will be exposed to the wind.

The first several miles will be going east, but it is pretty protected (and the runners should help block the wind) until the course heads south. It may be a little challenging during mile 6 on Florida to Stone Creek.

Once the course turns back West and North, it should be pretty good until around mile 20 when it goes from Maynard Lake onto Duncan and then turns back east during mile 21. There is some exposed sections along Sangamon in mile 23, and then in mile 25 transitioning from Hessel to Stadium Drive.

Hopefully this helps. Because it is a circular course there is no way to avoid the wind at some point on the course. The good thing is that it is relatively flat.

This helps a lot. We can hope for 5mph winds! Lol
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Jeff F wrote:If the wind is out of the E or SE, there are only a couple of spots were you will be exposed to the wind.

This helps a lot. We can hope for 5mph winds! Lol

The wind is supposed to die down next week, maybe that will get here a couple of days early.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Best of luck Kenny - I'll be thinking about you!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 pm

What a joke. Friday weather: 59/50 high/low. Sunday: 51/40 high/low. Saturday: 71/48 high/low. Just dumb.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next