365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Back to the Future

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Back to the Future

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 am

Technically, you just beat my HM PR. What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:06 pm

It must be a pretty soft PR, Mike.

After working the trials on Saturday which was an awesome experience and then having lunch with V-teamers/365ers and dinner with a former V-teamer and his wife, I was certainly ready for a good night's sleep and the Houston Half. Weather was great on Sunday morning and even though I was a bit chilly in the corral, I knew I'd be ok. I was actually able to settle in fairly quickly and get on pace after a slower first mile and the course had just enough down ramps and up ramps to make my legs change their focus which for me is good. I looked for Tim and Wendy after the turn around and although I missed Tim, I did shout out to Wendy who was running very well. I missed Joel, but I did see my friend Paul whom I had dinner with around mile 10. Right around mile 10, I began running with Joan Benoit and Mary Wittenberg (NY marathon race director). I actually chatted with them a bit and aimed to stay with them as long as I could (mile 12.5), and in the end, I actually beat Joanie chip time. I know she was jogging, but I'll never get to say that again. I was spent by then and gave it everything I had to get to that finish line. I knew I had trained to run the sub 1:40 and I had done it. (Too bad that 10 yrs ago, a 1:37 would have felt easy, but yesterday, it was an all out effort).

All in all, I had an excellent race even if I mentally shutdown at mile 12 since I knew I had made it under 1:40 by then. However, I think these splits say it all:

splits
Split Time Diff min/mile mile/h
5K 00:23:25 23:25 07:33 7.96
10K 00:46:07 22:42 07:26 8.09
14.5K 01:07:05 20:58 07:27 8.06
20K 01:32:36 25:31 07:27 8.05
Finish Net 01:37:49 07:28 8.04

Overall finish of 5th in my AG, 169th woman, 671st in the half. Not sure how many runners actually finished the half, but there were 12,000 registered.

Kudos to Tim, Wendy, Joel, Kevin, and Doug for all running great races as well, and to Sara Jane for being our support team (and Kara's of course).
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Michele you have always been an ispiration and again you don't disappoint. Someone I can also look to, to see that anything is possible just have to put in the work and train hard!

Looking forward to meeting you and your family in a little over 3 months!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Glad to see a new blog, and damn, way to get it off to a great start! 5 in your AG in a national race like Houston deserves serious credit! Congrats Michele!
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Wow, because I'm a bit nuts, I plugged my half marathon time (of yesterday) into the McMillan calculator. Now usually, I take the calculator with a grain of salt, but this time, I actually shocked to see that it actually agreed with recent performances i.e it predicted a 21:10 5k and I ran a 21:20 over a hilly course, a 43:58 10k and I ran a 43:30 over a relatively flat course, and a 1:13:39 10 miler which was my split in yesterday's race and my goal (or thereabouts) for Cherry Blossom (even the training paces are what I am currently running). Now wildly enough, it also predicts a 3:26 marathon which is where I have always fallen off. Of course, Boston is not an easy course, but I do wonder if I can keep my mileage in the 50-60 mpw range, can I possibly run sub 3:40 at Boston? In my wildest dreams that would be simply awesome.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Quick recap of the race. 1:37:47 for 5th in my AG. Beat my goal. Everyone had a great day

Wow, WOw, WOW!!!!!!! I love your splits - impressive to see your paced dropping at the end - that is just really cool. Yeah, 5th in age group is just fantastic - you are going to be signing autographs soon! Way to set a goal and go get it - proud of you!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

splits
Split Time Diff min/mile mile/h
5K 00:23:25 23:25 07:33 7.96
10K 00:46:07 22:42 07:26 8.09
14.5K 01:07:05 20:58 07:27 8.06
20K 01:32:36 25:31 07:27 8.05
Finish Net 01:37:49 07:28 8.04

Overall finish of 5th in my AG, 169th woman, 671st in the half. Not sure how many runners actually finished the half, but there were 12,000 registered.

Kudos to Tim, Wendy, Joel, Kevin, and Doug for all running great races as well, and to Sara Jane for being our support team (and Kara's of course).

Yes, those are some mighty nice splits. There were 9,352 finishers in the Half. The Marathon finished 7,637 runners. I was in 7,255th place.

Hope to see you again.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm

So after seeing that you're doing a 12 week training plan, I'm interesting in seeing what it is. Reason being, I don't really know how I want to train for Boston. Help? Smile
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:27 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:So after seeing that you're doing a 12 week training plan, I'm interesting in seeing what it is. Reason being, I don't really know how I want to train for Boston. Help? Smile

I'll try, Mike. But I'm sure my schedule is quite different than something you might use as I am actually working with a coach to tailor it individually. I'm giving you a gist of it below. I also incorporate races as tempo or marathon pace efforts along the way as it keeps me in the right frame of mind. When I was running a lot of marathons (8-9) for me per year, I lost a ton of speed as I was running slow miles and always recovering. I'm actually running higher mileage (for me) with more variation trying to incorporate my strengths which for me are more speed than endurance. I'm way more of a "middle" long distance runner than a marathoner. I do hve incentive though in that I want to be able to run Boston the next 5 yrs in a row as long as my daughter is in college there.

Typical week for me during Boston training:

Monday - Speed This can consist of something as simple as 6 x 1 mile or 10-12 by 800 or 3 x 2 mile
Tuesday - 1 hour easy run followed by striders
Wednesday - Tempo run if I have done true speedwork on Monday Usually 6-8 miles
Thursday - 1-1.5 hr run easy or 1 hr run with 8-10 hill repeats. (I live in a hilly neighborhood so do get to run hills a lot).
Friday - Long run (unless it is a week with a race. I am doing 2x half marathon, one 11 miler, and a 10 miler)
Saturday - 6-8 miles with running group
Sunday - Day off or 2-3 easy recovery miles

I will average 50-60 mpw at most and maybe peak around 65. That will be major for me, and I am going to have to carefully monitor myself as things progress. I did have some fatigue issues right before NYC, so I know what to look for.

I can tell you that Hal's Boston Bound schedule is a 12 week program and I had a friend who used it for her one and only Boston back in 2007. She ran a marathon PR at Boston that day, and it was the year of the "northeaster" when they almost cancelled the race due to severe weather.

All in all, I think I'm pretty recovered from last week's race although I took it real easy this past week running under 30 miles. I felt that this was necessary to get mentally ready for Boston training which began today. Of course, our weather today is super nasty with heavy rain, thunder, lightening, and even a tornado watch, so I was forced inside. I had a tempo run of 3 x 2 mile @ 7:45 pace to run, and with the nasty weather, I ran it on my home treadmill which can be a chore with only the radio or iPod to listen to. I managed it running a total of 9 miles and the last 2 mile repeat felt the strongest. The real test will be to see if I can run such a workout on the actual roads if we ever have good weather again (it has been wet all weekend and crazy warm which is why all the severity).

Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:40 pm

I was totally dreading today's workout as I assumed it was impossible for me to master. On the schedule was the following:

9:15 warm up mile then 4 miles @ 7:45
9:15 mile then 4 miles @ 7:45
Cool down

I set out for the bike path at 7:05 since I knew that to cover 10+ miles and make a 10:45 Dr. appointment, I would have to get started as soon as the sun was up. Temps were in the mid-30s, so perfect weather and the wind along the river was pretty mild considering. Started off with my first mile at 9:01 (oops too fast) and then ran the next 4 averaging 7:35. Never looked at my watch (after 1 mile) until it went off at 5 miles - pleasantly surprised. Ran the next mile at 8:50 (and I felt like I was crawling), and then finished the next 4 averaging 7:41 (and ran 2.5 of them over crushed gravel trail that had a bit of frost). Was shocked when I reached the 10 mile mark and saw 1:18 and change on my watch. Just over a year ago (Fall, 2010), I would have been ecstatic to run a 10 mile race in 1:20 or better! Guess I am getting into the shape that I want to be in. Now I just need to make sure I stay on the right side of the cliff.

After my run, I had a nice hot shower and breakfast and had to head to the doctor's office. I have a "heart murmur" that they check with an ECG (sonogram) every year to make sure all is well. I also had elevated blood pressure when I went to have the ECG back in November and my doctor was concerned. Well, the ECG was fine and my blood pressure was back to where it normally is. I guess all the stress of marathon training, getting my daughter into college, holidays, and moving had added up - but alas, most of that is over and done with, and I am back to normal. Of course, my doctor yelled at me for losing 3 lbs since November, and I didn't have the heart to tell her I had just run 10.5 miles. After all, what ever happened to the saying that "you can't be too rich or too thin?".

Recap of last week - 1st week of Boston training:

Monday - Speed/Temp 3 x 2 mile @ 7:45 pace. Pretty much hit the pace as I did this on the track and just aimed to finished each 2 mile repeat between 15:20 and 15:40. 8.5 miles total
Tuesday - Easy 6 followed by striders
Wednesday - 7.2 miles with 10 x 30 s hills. I did this in my neighborhood which has me cover 12 hills in 7 miles. I tried to run hard both up and down the hills. I have noticed that I have become a much better downhill runner in recent years.
Thursday - Easy 6
Friday - 13.3 miles @ 8:45 pace. Felt good, nothing eventful.
Saturday - 6.2 miles @ 8:20 pace with running group.
Sunday - Day off. Watched Novak beat Rafa at the Aussie Open finals - enough to make me tired

Total for the week: 47.2 miles YTD: 151
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Nice run today, Michele! I think that's a workout that would make me sweat at my current fitness level.

If the next 11 weeks encourage you to go for a 3:30 in Boston, you've got yourself a buddy...
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 pm

Mike is right. Your half and that 2x4 workout point to a 3:30 goal time. Straight 8s. Why the heck not head out at that and just manage them as long as you can? If it gets hard and you lose some ground in Newton, it is still going to be a great race time and the way you are running now, no reason you couldn't do 26 8s.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Chris M wrote:Mike is right. Your half and that 2x4 workout point to a 3:30 goal time. Straight 8s. Why the heck not head out at that and just manage them as long as you can? If it gets hard and you lose some ground in Newton, it is still going to be a great race time and the way you are running now, no reason you couldn't do 26 8s.

We will see. Wink . Tempted though am I.

After yesterday's workout, I just wanted to report that I was toast this morning which was indeed to be expected. I was however surprised when I looked at my watch at the end of my run to see that those tired leas ran sub-9s.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:07 pm

"you can't be too rich or too thin"

Ha, that is funny. Seriously solid training Michele!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Wow, I just saw that 10M workout. That's an awesome run. Very impressive.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:37 am

Some very solid training Michele! Good to hear that your doctor appointment went well too--I had to smile thinking you had just run a great workout and then had to get your heart checked out!!
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 am

Ended up with 51 miles last week, but managed to tweak my back/glute area again most likely after my run on Saturday. I had a massage after the run, and it made things worse, so I was a bit bummed when I got out there for my 4 x 2 mile run on Monday only to be sidelined after 5 miles. My right leg just felt heavy and wrong, so I stopped. Saw my ART person that afternoon as I figured that I twisted my pelvis (have done this before as a result of a tight ITB and that "dead butt" syndrome that I strugglw tih). It was nice to know that I had not seen hear since March, 2010, and she agreed that my ITB was very tight and pulling me out of alignment. She worked me over, and I was able to run and easy 6 miles on the flat gravel path by the river yesterday with only a slight tightness. The first half mile was a bit tough, and I was just kind of getting ready to pack it in, when I decided to think about my gait and pick it up just slightly. The tightness really dissipated and became the slight soreness that I get in my butt when the glutes are mad at me. I was very relieved, but I'm definitely not forcing any speed this week or any real long mileage. I hope to get in a solid 40 mile week, but I'm playing that one by ear.

On another note, I'm going to a running form seminar on Saturday morning at the local running store. Curious really to see what they have to say and what they suggest. I know that several of you have really worked on your form and I know that many of you (Randy E comes to mind) have made great strides (pun intended) analyzing and changing your form.

I've also placed my house on the market as this Cleveland move is becoming reality. I already have some people who have some back twice and are now asking for an idea of utility bills, etc. That is hopefully a good sign, but I also don't really want to move my daughter until the end of May. We will see. I have another propspective buyer coming today at lunch, so I guess I'll enjoy this beautiful (and strange) February weather and head out for another run then. I'm going to hit the gravel path again as it is very forgiving. Hopefully things will continue to improve.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Fingers crossed, Michele, on both accounts (running and the house). With the former, in addition to your years of base you're holding over me, you've also got years of patience and wisdom, so I'm sure you'll be back at it much faster than I was when I tried to "push through it."
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Good luck on the house sale, Michele! And I hope that the ITB thing works itself out soon.
Your running is so inspiring! You turned 50 and are still running like a warrior!
I'll be 53 soon...and while it's true I'm running, it's certainly not warrior-like, but hopefully it's not old-lady like, either. Smile
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Not a super week as I came up a bit lame on Monday. Seems as if it is a hip flexor/glute issue, but I also seem to be getting it under control with a couple of ART sessions and lots of foam roller action. No speed this week after the aborted run on Monday, but I am feeling good enough to try last Monday's run (4 x 2 mile repeats) tomorrow. The only issue is that it is once again going to be below 20F here in Atlanta. While that sounds mild to some of you (and it will sound mild to me next year when I'm back in Cleveland), it is an anomally for the south. Good news is that we have a contract on the house (yeah!), so we just have to make it through inspections and due diligence and then it is sold. And the buyers live in a condo that they will be renting to relatives, so they agreed to let us rent back until June 15th. Was my daughter happy not to be displaced before graduation.

I attended a "Good Form" running seminar yesterday morning and the instructor made lots of interesting points. I tried to pick up my cadence this morning during my 5 miles (done on the treadmill), but I found it very difficult to do. Don't know if any of you have tried to do this (I think Randy has), but it isn't easy. I run naturally at 166-168 steps per minute, and the optimal is supposed to be around "180". The best I seem able to do is 174-175. The video of my form was interesting as it showed me dropping my hips when I touch probably due to the hip flexor/glute issue, but also probably a cause. Anyway, I can see the merits of a lot of the points - just wonder if I can get there.

I did also buy a pair of Brooks Pure Cadence shoes, and I wore them this morning on the mill. I am able to put my orthotics in them, and the Brooks guy agreed that it is probably psychological, but I have worn them for 25+ yrs in my running shoes including my racing flats. The Pure Cadence feel surprisingly cushy and I think I'm going to like them for shorter easy runs, and I hope to be able to work up to longer distances in them.

Weekly mileage up date:

Monday - 5 miles Aborted due to my right leg not being quite right after the first 2 mile repeat.
Tuesday - 6.67 miles Done on the flat gravel path (68F!) after an ART session. Leg loosened up nicely in the heat.
Wednesday - 7.1 easy miles
Thursday - 7 easy miles after ART session.
Friday - 12 miles. Leg was very tired around 9-10 miles, and I ran out of as shortly after.
Saturday - 6 hilly, easy miles in the cold
Sunday - 5 miles on the Mill working on form

Total for the week: 48.8 miles YTD: 250
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Typing to your cadence comments, I've deduced (rightly or wrongly) that I'll never be able to attain the magical 180 steps until I'm fast enough. Last February, I read an article on pace & brought it up on Hal's boards.

I bought the cadence sensor for my FR305. I started out about 135, then got up to 145 when I really concentrated on turnover. It seemed like I was a cartoon character rapidly tip-toeing along. When I ran faster, the cadence increased. After a few weeks of trying to increase the number, it only increased when I ran faster.

I'm sure others can hit 180, but I won't be able to until I'm as fast as you. I probably have some flawed logic in there.

Good news on the house, seemingly on all fronts.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 am

I sure do agree, Doug. I've been working on turnover which I think is the key at the slower paces as I,too, am much closer to the 180 at race pace especially 5K race pace. Since I overstride some that is what I really need to focus on until it becomes sencond nature.

On the home front, inspection is today, so I hope that all comes out fine. I'd just hate for the guy to find some major thing that I knew nothing about.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:39 am

Home inspectors have to find a few things to justify the report. Is the appraisal the major hand-wringing moment to closing the deal?
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:39 pm

uick recap of the race. 1:37:47 for 5th in my AG. Beat my goal. Everyone had a great day

COngrats on 5th in AG I am bit late on this. But reading through your blog. Seems your training is going pretty solid.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Well, I think I'm back on board. Ran a half marathon this morning with no real plan in mind as I had no idea how the leg would feel. Ran 3 easy warm up miles first, and then I began the race. My thought process was to see if I could hold an 8 min pace and comfortably finish under 1:44. Long story short, I finished in 1:42:28 good for 82nd overall, 16th woman, 7th master and 2nd in my AG. My running partner placed 2nd in our AG, and this was her first half marathon (or race longer than 5K) since Boston, 2007. she was very pleased. I'm now scared as she will soon blow me away!

2 82 16 Michele Keane 50 2 49:03 7:55 1:42:28 7:50 Atlanta GA

Very pleased by the negative splits and the hills started at mile 5! (the 49:03 is the 10K split)

As for MP, not sure where I'm at with that yet as I really have no long runs over 15 miles. I know I have a good, solid base and lots of half marathons at 8 min pace or faster under my belt since last yr at this time along with a decent NY marathon. I also know that I could run a sub-4 next weekend if I had to. I just need to add in a bit more endurance over the next 6 wks in the terms of long runs and a couple of longer races (half marathon on 3/18 and Cherry Blossom on 4/1). And then decide on a Boston pace.............
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top