365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to Get Excited About the Marathon Trials!

+5
dot520
fostever
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Ben Z
9 posters

Go down

Time to Get Excited About the Marathon Trials! Empty Time to Get Excited About the Marathon Trials!

Post  Ben Z Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:24 pm

We are just over a week away and I thought it would be fun to start a thread discussing any and everything related to the trials. I'll kick things off with a fun video I came across from a young guy with a modest PR (compared to the rest of the field). Pretty inspiring and just one of the great reasons I love the trials - it's an everyman (and woman) race for the top three spots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLKkx5yYZes&feature=player_embedded
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Time to Get Excited About the Marathon Trials! Empty Re: Time to Get Excited About the Marathon Trials!

Post  Ben Z Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 pm

And one more great video. Love the opening commentary from Andrew Carlson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulTx8uWlpZI&feature=player_embedded

P.S. If you want to run on the road / bike path you see the Team USA Minnesota team training on in this video here you go. It's open to the public and a really nice loop. I've run there a few times and loved it.

http://brass612.tripod.com/miss.html
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Time to Get Excited About the Marathon Trials! Empty Re: Time to Get Excited About the Marathon Trials!

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 pm

NBC Broadcast, 3:00pm ET

http://www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com/Highlights/Documents/11-09-11_NBC%20to%20Broadcast%202012%20U.S.%20Olympic%20Trials%20-%20Marathon.pdf
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Cool - even though I'll be there, I'm setting the DVR.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:45 pm

I figured they would provide live coverage. I'll be at me mum's 90th birthday party. Will have to view it at home the next day. No news watching for me until then.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Hey, Jerry...thanks for the link about NBC coverage. I was just going to ask about TV coverage and here it is! I'll definitely DVR it!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:57 am

Kaci Lickteig is from my area--she ran cross country and track at the school I used to teach and she was in my seventh grade class. I see her at all the local races and her mom is a great runner too--in my age group! If Lori is running, I know I won't be first in my AG!

Anyway, Kaci is a sweetie and I wish her the best. To qualify for the trials is quite an accomplishment!

Some info

Omaha World Herald

Runner's World
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 pm

fostever wrote:I figured they would provide live coverage.

Unfortunately, it's not live coverage. It's a two hour highlight show. Better than nothing I guess, but you really miss the excitement of watching the race develop.

Does anyone know if it will be streamed live on the internet?

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:53 pm

ssilvert wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not live coverage. It's a two hour highlight show. Better than nothing I guess, but you really miss the excitement of watching the race develop.

Stan

I'm really bummed about this. I was glued to the computer in 2008. Avoiding the internet until the broadcast is going to be toooooough.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Dave-O wrote:
ssilvert wrote:

Stan

I'm really bummed about this. I was glued to the computer in 2008. Avoiding the internet until the broadcast is going to be toooooough.

Fly down, I can get you a bib, the day after, not the trial of cause. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Race time temperature at the start (8 a.m. CT) is expected to be around 40 degrees at this point, subject to change, but it will be seasonal.

If there's a breeze out of the east, this will be a tailwind leaving downtown on Memorial Drive and a headwind on Allen Parkway going back to downtown.

Standard wind direction in Houston is southeast.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:01 am

Race time temperature is still expected to be around 40. Skies will be mostly clear, except for some high, thin clouds. Dewpoints will be in the 20's and winds should be light and variable. If the high, thin clouds don't roll in, expect the temperature to drop 5 degrees before the race. The temperature at the end of the race should be in the high 40's.

Sunday's temps should be similar, but dewpoints will only be 10 degrees less than air temperatures, with a high of the mid-50's at noon.

On Sunday, the Marathon will have a jumbo screen in the finish area for broadcasting the Texans-Ravens game. GO TEXANS!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Perfect weather for the trials. Hopefully this produces some fast times.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05 am

In a different kind of "Welcome to Houston" experience, Olympic Marathon team hopeful Josh Cox, current US record holder in the 50K, with his wife and baby in tow, foiled a carjacking attempt at IAH on Wednesday evening.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2012/01/u-s-olympic-marathon-hopeful-victim-of-attempted-car-jacking-in-houston/
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:29 am

Reading the article, I think it may have been a rental car parking attendant who was trying to give him an upgrade. Sorry, Just trying to inject some humor into an otherwise seriously scary situation.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down