365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

NYC marathon's new registration fee

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Vivian on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:03 pm

$255. Plus $11 just to apply. Do you think this large increase will deter many runners? I paid $195 for the 2011 NYCM and I thought that was a lot.
avatar
Vivian
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 68
Points : 2501
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Not sure; however, I read that they upped the fee that much because they now have to pay for the NYPD hours. This actually started with 2011's race, but we got lucky because the fee was not added since the committee did not know before they published the 2011 registration rate.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4763
Points : 11219
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Julie on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Wow and I thought 100 was plenty to pay for a marathon entry!
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2611
Points : 6361
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 pm

@Julie wrote:Wow and I thought 100 was plenty to pay for a marathon entry!

+1.

$250 is getting pretty close to Ironman prices.
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3110
Points : 7525
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 30
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Mark B on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:
@Julie wrote:Wow and I thought 100 was plenty to pay for a marathon entry!

+1.

$250 is getting pretty close to Ironman prices.

Ironman? Pfft. It only costs $275 to register for the Leadville 100 trail race.

Nearly four times the distance at the same price. What a bargain! Approval
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7331
Points : 15856
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  JohnP on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:52 am

My thought all along is we don't have very bright financial minds running the top marathons, or many marathons. Simple Econ 101 - Demand and Supply. NYC and Chicago, even with very high entry fees, sell out. NYC even makes you pay to register. The fact is, as long as their races keep selling out (and quickly), it makes business sense to keep raising prices until they hit equilibrium. This is the essence of capitalism, even if people don't like it.

Let's say that this happened, that they raised prices to $300, $400. Many people would still pay and enter. They stop raising, or even lower a bit, when demand slackens enough to put their profit at risk. You also have to take into account all the intangibles the race leaders/owners get besides financial - connections with politicians, connections with the police, connections with celebrities who want to start in corral A, connections with the hotels who offer free rooms for staff, and of course, connections with elite marathoners. It's a very complicated formula. Somehow I am thinking that NYC will sell out again even with the fee bump.
avatar
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1225
Points : 4294
Join date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Jim fredericks on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:23 am

I won't ever be paying that much for a race.
avatar
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Posts : 107
Points : 2554
Join date : 2011-06-25
Location : New Berlin, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Julie on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:27 am

@JohnP wrote:My thought all along is we don't have very bright financial minds running the top marathons, or many marathons. Simple Econ 101 - Demand and Supply. NYC and Chicago, even with very high entry fees, sell out. NYC even makes you pay to register. The fact is, as long as their races keep selling out (and quickly), it makes business sense to keep raising prices until they hit equilibrium. This is the essence of capitalism, even if people don't like it.

Let's say that this happened, that they raised prices to $300, $400. Many people would still pay and enter. They stop raising, or even lower a bit, when demand slackens enough to put their profit at risk. You also have to take into account all the intangibles the race leaders/owners get besides financial - connections with politicians, connections with the police, connections with celebrities who want to start in corral A, connections with the hotels who offer free rooms for staff, and of course, connections with elite marathoners. It's a very complicated formula. Somehow I am thinking that NYC will sell out again even with the fee bump.

I agree, and I don't mind capitalism one bit. I don't care what they charge, really, it's my decision to register or not register for a certain race, or to plan ahead and get a better fee (for many races). If I want inexpensive I know some marathons are still 50-60 dollars and still cover 26.2 miles maybe with quite a bit less crowd support but still a good experience. The Chicago Lakefront 50/50 will let me run 50 miles for much less (I can't remember now but their spring 50K is 40 dollars if you register early). From what I understand people run NYC because of the experience and that it is unique or desirable enough for them to pay that much. I doubt I'll ever run it but I agree it's anyone's choice to pay or not pay to run it.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2611
Points : 6361
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:40 am

Shameless plug for 365Competitors but appropriate I think... For the amount of money it cost to run NYC Marathon they could be insuring your entrance fee if you become sick or injured for as little as $3-4 per registrant. Considering they just raised the entrance fee $60 at least include the insurance so you get some peace of mind as you register for an event months in advance. Many marathons and Triathlons have already set the stage. Without spilling the beans yet we are making some big announcements of well known marathons already on board. Once these races are announced I think you will see not only others following but the top ones as well. Triathlons have already jumped on board with fees from $80 to $300, including big names like Nations tri and DC tri.
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4843
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Natalie on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:30 pm

I wouldn't pay that much ever again. I ran the NYCM last year, after paying $44 for the privilege of paying last year's entry fee and I felt the service I received was subpar. The race was dirty, the facilities were disgusting, and with the time change, I ended up finishing right as the sun was setting. Finding my family in the dark when I was freezing was just not fun.
avatar
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Posts : 391
Points : 2823
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:43 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:
@Julie wrote:Wow and I thought 100 was plenty to pay for a marathon entry!

+1.

$250 is getting pretty close to Ironman prices.

Ironman Florida registration this year was $625 - about $300 for a half. Damn things are pricey!

@Natalie wrote:I wouldn't pay that much ever again. I ran the NYCM last year, after paying $44 for the privilege of paying last year's entry fee and I felt the service I received was subpar. The race was dirty, the facilities were disgusting, and with the time change, I ended up finishing right as the sun was setting. Finding my family in the dark when I was freezing was just not fun.
I remember reading your report on NY and it sounded like a real bummer. After this long they should have all of that stuff figured out - either that, or they just don't really care. It's a bummer b/c I always thought it would be cool to run in a big marathon like that. Sounds like NY and Chicago both have some issues...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4292
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Julie on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:22 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote:
I remember reading your report on NY and it sounded like a real bummer. After this long they should have all of that stuff figured out - either that, or they just don't really care. It's a bummer b/c I always thought it would be cool to run in a big marathon like that. Sounds like NY and Chicago both have some issues...

Maybe go for semi-big, like Fargo or even Lincoln has 10,000 and is nice.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2611
Points : 6361
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Ben Z on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:25 pm

John is right.

But it's still absurd.

And I'll probably pay it since I qualified.
avatar
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Posts : 698
Points : 3456
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Bay Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:21 pm

I loved NY and had a far better time than Natalie. I would run it again and have even considered it. As for Chicago - 3x is plenty and that is more about the course (too flat for me) and the past few weather years.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4763
Points : 11219
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Ben Z on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:03 pm

And I registered. Argh.

But I love NY and need to run it once.
avatar
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Posts : 698
Points : 3456
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Bay Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Kenny B. on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:22 pm

@Ben Z wrote:And I registered. Argh.

But I love NY and need to run it once.

Ben - I did not register yet but I think I can in automatically after being denied 3x now. I guess I have to do it as this might be my last chance. I'd probably do it as a fun run but then again where is the glory in that! Especially for $255! Ouch!
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4843
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Colleen on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:57 pm

I understand the supply/demand argument...but it doesn't mean that I'll be paying those fees, ever. Honestly, it's more the "lottery fee" that irks me than anything else. Why should I have to pay just for the privilege of applying to be in a race? I'm not risking paying NYRR $11 just to have them reject me! Very Happy

Also, if you believe their numbers on how many apply vs. how many actually get accepted, they routinely make $500,000+ off runners who do not even get to run in the race. Instead of jacking up their prices this much, why can't they use that money to pay NYPD overtime?
avatar
Colleen
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 32
Points : 2448
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Dave-O on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm

No different than tickets to sporting events, greens fees for the top golf courses, expensive dinners, etc....if people are willing to pay it, there's no reason to drop the price.
avatar
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 4520
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  healdgator on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:49 pm

The increasing fees are going to have an effect on the demand pretty soon, imo. Maybe not for NYC or Disney, but others will be hurt.
avatar
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Posts : 585
Points : 3102
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 44
Location : Orlando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  wrichman on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm coughing up the money again for NYC this year - mostly b/c it's the last year I'll ever be able to run by qualifying.
avatar
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Posts : 245
Points : 2557
Join date : 2012-01-12
Location : Chicago, IL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Ben Z on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:52 pm

@wrichman wrote:I'm coughing up the money again for NYC this year - mostly b/c it's the last year I'll ever be able to run by qualifying.

Exactly. Going forward I may have to wait up until 3-5 years to get in so this is the last chance for me (at least for awhile) I figured.
avatar
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Posts : 698
Points : 3456
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Bay Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NYC marathon's new registration fee

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum