365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to Burlington (I hope)

+8
Chris M
Alex Kubacki
John Kilpatrick
Dave P
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
dot520
Michael Enright
12 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Back to Burlington (I hope) Empty Back to Burlington (I hope)

Post  Michael Enright Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:42 pm

It's been an interesting hiatus since crossing the finish line of the Cape Cod Marathon on Oct. 30. A nice recovery, running-wise. Some craziness and challenges in my personal life. Many distractions and the always difficult year-end. The miles came down, as expected, but I kept at it fairly regularly, and the running helped greatly for stress relief. I needed that! Guess I still do...

I don't seem to be getting any faster, and I suppose I should expect that, as I travel through my mid-50s. The PF I suffered through most of last year is mostly gone, though vestiges of it remain. It ain't slowing me down at this point, except when I get up to "go" in the middle of the night! Generally, I feel good. I've run a lot of runs in the long mid-length category the last month or so (like 8, 9, 10 and 11 milers), and have felt really strong throughout those, which is a good sign.

Last year, I was trying to reprise my 2010 Burlington performance (Vermont City Marathon - Memorial Day weekend) when I had to slow down, and then stop, due to the PF (the bronchitis along the way didn't help, either). But I was able to save part of the fee by withdrawing from the race, and able to apply it this year, so I am going for it again. This will be the fourth time I've started winter training for a spring marathon. I've only managed to get to the start line once in the past three tries for the spring! I have fallen to either injury or illness mid-cycle. So the hopeful reference in the title is mostly about staying healthy, one way or the other.

My winter training has tended to be a little more play-it-by-ear than I do over the summer. I know that I will be stuck on the treadmill more than I like. I know I will have to miss some runs. Whatever. Not looking to qualify for the Olympics! I do expect to x-train some, and have the cycling trainer set up for that (though I haven't gotten on it yet - maybe tomorrow or Friday).

Did my first run of the 18 week cycle last night - 6 miles on the mill at just under 9:00 while watching a basketball game. I do love that part of it. The race is the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Burlington is a great town to visit, so it'll be fun no matter what.

Next run is tonight. So I'm off to the races...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Back to Burlington (I hope) Empty Re: Back to Burlington (I hope)

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:06 am

Banged out a nice easy 6 miles on the mill again last night, again while watching some roundball (Villanova/Louisville). Seems an odd year in college hoops, which I like - the same old same old gets old!

Not expecting to run again until Saturday. In the meantime, maybe some x-training tonight or tomorrow night. I really want to try out the trainer, which I haven't done before. It is sitting there, calling to me, ready to go...

My wife is off to a conference in NYC, and the kids will want to head in every direction possible over the weekend, so I may be challenged in finding time, but isn't that always the case?
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Yeah, if it isn't challenging enough to actually do what you have on your training schedule, you have to deal with the whole life schedule and everybody else involved. I love the treadmill while watch BB, definitely gets the job done!

I agree about the wild College BB season...lovin' it!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Nice to start new blog with new training!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Banged out a nice easy 6 miles on the mill again last night, again while watching some roundball (Villanova/Louisville). Seems an odd year in college hoops, which I like - the same old same old gets old!

Not expecting to run again until Saturday. In the meantime, maybe some x-training tonight or tomorrow night. I really want to try out the trainer, which I haven't done before. It is sitting there, calling to me, ready to go...

My wife is off to a conference in NYC, and the kids will want to head in every direction possible over the weekend, so I may be challenged in finding time, but isn't that always the case?

I don't envy you Michael. Sometimes it is real nice that my daughter is 18+ and can drive and take care of herself. I do miss those days when she really needed me for more than laundry and gas money though Wink .
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 pm

dot520 wrote:Yeah, if it isn't challenging enough to actually do what you have on your training schedule, you have to deal with the whole life schedule and everybody else involved. I love the treadmill while watch BB, definitely gets the job done!

I agree about the wild College BB season...lovin' it!

Only problem with the b-ball is sometimes if I'm really into the game, I'll start to lose my balance on the mill because I'm distracted!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Nice to start new blog with new training!

Thanks Kenny! Nice to be at it again...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:Banged out a nice easy 6 miles on the mill again last night, again while watching some roundball (Villanova/Louisville). Seems an odd year in college hoops, which I like - the same old same old gets old!

I don't envy you Michael. Sometimes it is real nice that my daughter is 18+ and can drive and take care of herself. I do miss those days when she really needed me for more than laundry and gas money though Wink .

Yes, I now have four teenagers, and I do seem to bleed cash rather quickly!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Crazy day yesterday:

Get up at 5:30, drive daughter to school in Hartford, and go to office in Hartford.

Leave Hartford about 9:45 for Providence, and drive in the rain to Providence for a noon meeting. Get lost in downtown Providence, and late for meeting.

Meeting, conference call and other meetings in Providence, leave at about 3:00.

Drive to Storrs, CT in the foggy rain to pick up son at UConn and drive him home, arriving about 5:15.

X-Train; relax; drive to and from Hartford to pick up daughter, and drive her boyfriend home, and drive her home.

Go to bed!

At least the x-training was fun. I got on the bike trainer and did about 35 minutes - it was good. I used a video that came with the trainer, and that really helped with the intensity. I think I'll like that, though I need to find some other videos. Found out that there is a squirrel living in the building where I have the trainer set up. He came down to keep me company. I have a "have a heart" trap set up now to catch him and deport him to the state park.

Decided to do my long run on the hilly roads here in town today. Did 13.5 at average of 9:20, which is a bit faster than I should probably train at on hills like these. Have to watch that as the runs get longer. Elevation chart and splits below, if I remember how to do that correctly. It was a nice day for it (partly cloudy, upper 30s to maybe lower 40s), some sand still in the roads from last weekend's storm, but just a few small icy patches, and no real snow. Nice for late January in CT!

I was inspired to do the hills because I saw an ad CARA put out for the Lakefront 10 miler, which is billed as the "hilliest race in Chicago" because it will go over Cricket Hill (the bump in the landfill near Montrose). It's not the hilliest race in Chicago, I expect the Ridge Run 10K on Memorial Day on the south side is, but whatever. I wanted to do some real hills after reading that. Felt good!

Back to Burlington (I hope) Jan_2810

Back to Burlington (I hope) Jan_2811
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Nice 6 miles today (54:45) - took it easy after the crazy hills yesterday. Ran this on the Airline Trail, and that was pretty good - a bit muddy in spots, and iced over for a couple hundred yards, but not glassy, so passable. Probably high 30s, and a bit windy, but still nice for the end of January. Often, I can't run this trail for months at a stretch in the winter, so feel pretty lucky.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Wishing you a great training season & a great race in Burlington Michael.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks Dave!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:31 am

Got home last night in time to have dinner with the family, which was a nice surprise.

Wow, this warm weather is awesome! After cleaning up after dinner, I wanted to go for a run. I was thinking about going to the track, since it was nice out, but wanted to watch an early b-ball game (my ugly Illini v. M State), so was going to use the treadmill. Then my bride said she wanted to go down and use the elliptical.

The elliptical and treadmill are next to each other, and while I don't mind company, she does. If I'm on the tm, she has no plan on using the elliptical. I figured I should just blow off the game and go to the track, which I prefer in terms of pure running preferences anyway. So off to the track I went.

Good decision. The track was nice (windy up there, but weather was warm enough and I was dressed just right for it), and I felt sort of fast. I didn't look at my watch until halfway, and confirmed that I was moving along at a pretty good clip, so just finished at that pace. 6 miles at 52:35, so not crazy for me, but a bit faster than usual. Tonight, I will probably take it a bit slower.

Stressful day ahead. I'll need the run tonight!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Looking good Michael - what kind of bike trainer did you end up with?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:58 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Looking good Michael - what kind of bike trainer did you end up with?

A CycleOps fluid trainer. I like it!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 pm

Another strangely beautiful night here in central CT. It got up to the low 60s, I think, today. By the time I got to the track (probably about 7 pm), it was somewhere in the 50s, I think. Anytime I get to run outside in February wearing shorts, I think that's amazing!

Nice run. I just fell into what felt like an easy pace, and didn't pay attention to my watch. Same result as yesterday - just seven seconds slower for a six mile run!

Wore my Kinvaras tonight. I've barely worn them since I bought them a little over a year ago. Mainly, that was because the first time I wore them, I severely aggravated the PF I was struggling with, and then was messed up for a couple of months. But they felt good tonight.

When I got to the track, I ran into a neighbor who has been training for and running tris. He had been doing intervals, because he gets bored doing laps at an even pace. I told him I'd prefer the laps at an even pace - just set it and forget it, and I'm good to go...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Michael, I know a couple of people who might be doing that one. I've run in that area before and it's very scenic. Of course it has that nice "llittle" hill leading away from the lake that was fun.

Good luck in your training.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Michael, I know a couple of people who might be doing that one. I've run in that area before and it's very scenic. Of course it has that nice "llittle" hill leading away from the lake that was fun.

Good luck in your training.

Hi Alex - good to hear from you! Last time I saw you, you looked worn out!!! Very Happy

I am looking forward to running that hill again, though I may take it slower this time, so I don't cramp up beginning immediately after completing the ascent!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:51 pm

"Set it and forget it".... was that from that oven commerical? I can picture the guy saying it but can't place where from. I may need to Google that.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Chris M wrote:"Set it and forget it".... was that from that oven commerical? I can picture the guy saying it but can't place where from. I may need to Google that.

Great question.

I have no idea where most of the accumulated garbage in my mind comes from. I am only sure that much of it comes from pop culture and that there is nothing in the way of an original thought that comes out of my head!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Did another 35 minute x-training session on the bike trainer last night, which was fun. I definitely need another training video. I'm already sick of the race that I'm pretending I'm riding in (especially because it is a multiple lap race - who had the idea to make a training video, by its nature to be viewed repeatedly, out of an event where you do the same lap repeatedly??). Still, it was fun and a good workout.

Then, I ran 15 miles today. Another beautiful day here. Great combo - no snow anywhere and 40+ degrees, partly cloudy, not too windy. I did the first mile nice and easy (like 9:40 something), then fell into a quicker pace (just over 9:00 on the slight uphill; just under 9:00 on the slight downhill, speeding up to just under 8:30 just before the 6 mile mark). Figured I'd better slow down, or I'd be sorry!

Just after 7 miles I was at the car, so took a leak and slugged down 20 oz of fluid, then back at it. That cost me a couple of minutes on that mile (so, like 10:55). I had a hard time slowing down. As I was starting mile 13, I could see that it would be easy to bring the half in just under 2 hours, so I did that, and promised myself I'd slow down a bit after that, which I did at least a little. All in, averaged 9:10 per, and felt fine.

A run like that always makes me feel sleepy in the afternoon, and that is happening right now, but I still have to get through a date with my wife (dinner and a movie), so I better get some caffeine in me soon.

Going to see some movie about whales and miracles. Sounds perfect for my wife. Maybe I'll enjoy the coming attractions...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:02 am

I cannot recommend the miracle whale movie. A cute rendition, but not so well done. It would have been more interesting as a documentary revisiting the actual events and with interviews of the real people, with lots of footage of "back then." But it did make me feel old, seeing the faces of the news people, and how young they were!

Sunday was pretty packed. Had to spend much of the morning at church, as I'd volunteered to participate in a couple of things there, then back home and down to my father-in-law's for a lunch/dinner with family. Then back home, and drove my oldest back to UConn.

Got home from there at dusk, with about an hour left before the game, so decided to knock out the six miles on the treadmill, while watching pre-game hype. Did that right at about 9:00 avg per mile. Felt fine. Tired from the 15 the day before, but nice to get in the second week of Burlington training without incident. Now I get a bit of a step back week. I expect that to be 6, 6, x-train, 6, 12, or something along those lines.

I expect to join the Y across the street from the office for the next few months, starting today or tomorrow. I need to pick up my daughter late many evenings over the next 6 weeks, and that will put a crimp in my training (or yield a bunch of late night runs on the mill) if I don't find a way to get the runs in earlier in the evening. Running in the evening in the winter in downtown Hartford is not a reliable way to do it, and is dicey. But the Y is nice and warm and always seems to have a treadmill available at that hour, and they are running a "community partner" discount, and we qualify, so I might as well give that a try. Probably do many of the mid-week workouts there for the rest of Feb. and at least the first couple or three weeks of March.

Heck of a game last night!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Chris M wrote:"Set it and forget it".... was that from that oven commerical? I can picture the guy saying it but can't place where from. I may need to Google that.

Ron Popeil, selling the Ronco rotisserie oven. That infomercial haunts my dreams.......
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Ken Mello wrote:

Ron Popeil, selling the Ronco rotisserie oven. That infomercial haunts my dreams.......
Thanks Ken - someone has to remember those things!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Back to back to back meetings this afternoon, with just enough time left to bolt at 6 p.m. and get to the Y across the street and get in 6 miles on the treadmill before cleaning up and heading to pick up my daughter at 7:45 and get her home. Nice.
The Y gave us a "community partner" rate, and it's convenient, and I need to be able to get the mid-week runs in somehow and still be able to pick her up late from rehearsals, so I signed up for at least a couple of months, and I think that'll work out nicely based on how it went tonight. Nice facility, not overcrowded, nice equipment, and you can't beat it for convenience. Did the 6 at my typical pace, just under 9:00 per. All good...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next