365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago half marathons this spring

5 posters

Go down

Chicago half marathons this spring Empty Chicago half marathons this spring

Post  Penelope Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Anyone planning on doing any of these half marathons? These are all ones during weeks I'm off so I'm considering registering for some...

April 1 Chi Town Half

May 6 Magellan Development Chicago Spring Half

May 6 First Midwest Bank Southwest Half

May 12 Quad Cities Distance Classic Half

June 9 13.1 "Marathon" Chicago

June 10 North Shore Half

July 21 Alexian Brothers...half

July 22 Rock'N'Roll Chicago half
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Chicago half marathons this spring Empty Re: Chicago half marathons this spring

Post  fostever Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:59 pm

I did the Midwest last year, bad memories( injured.) Decent out and back course and well run. Did Northshore in 2010, PR so good memories. Nice course, well run, one steep hill. Doing a 10K in Michigan on Memorial day weekend and fall marathon training will have just started so not that one either. I'll be bike marshalling the R&R Half most likely. (little pricey for a half) I see they're moving it up a few weeks.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Had no idea that there were so many Chicago halfs. Immaterial as I'm not signing up for any of them, but was pretty surprised to see this.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:46 pm

fostever wrote:I did the Midwest last year, bad memories( injured.) Decent out and back course and well run. Did Northshore in 2010, PR so good memories. Nice course, well run, one steep hill. Doing a 10K in Michigan on Memorial day weekend and fall marathon training will have just started so not that one either. I'll be bike marshalling the R&R Half most likely. (little pricey for a half) I see they're moving it up a few weeks.

Good to know. I was thinking the Magellan one instead of the Midwest because it's along the lake, but not sure.

dot520 wrote:Had no idea that there were so many Chicago halfs. Immaterial as I'm not signing up for any of them, but was pretty surprised to see this.
I know! And these are just the ones that fit into my schedule. Lots of opportunities.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:59 am

I do not have plans to do any of these (yet) but some comments to help you:

April 1 Chi Town Half - I think this is a second year race that didn't drawm much attention last year. Looks like its mostly on the lakefront path, so I would read some reviews to see if overcrowding is in an issue. I may run the 10k of this race.

May 6 First Midwest Bank Southwest Half - Hilly race for Chicago, but its been part of CARA's race circuit, which means its a dependable and well-run race.

June 9 13.1 "Marathon" Chicago - Ran (and won) this race in 2010. Weather can be a factor in June and its not the most scenic race on the southernmost portions of the lakefront. Was going to run this year but will be on vacation.

June 10 North Shore Half - Ran this last year. Very cool course through the north suburbs. The hill at mile 7.5 is a bitch, but I really like this race. RAM has done a great job building its reputation in Chicago in the last 3 years (Hot Chocolate 15k, Bucktown 5k, Terrapin 5k and now the North Shore Half).

Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:43 am

Dave-O wrote:I do not have plans to do any of these (yet) but some comments to help you:

April 1 Chi Town Half - I think this is a second year race that didn't drawm much attention last year. Looks like its mostly on the lakefront path, so I would read some reviews to see if overcrowding is in an issue. I may run the 10k of this race.

May 6 First Midwest Bank Southwest Half - Hilly race for Chicago, but its been part of CARA's race circuit, which means its a dependable and well-run race.

June 9 13.1 "Marathon" Chicago - Ran (and won) this race in 2010. Weather can be a factor in June and its not the most scenic race on the southernmost portions of the lakefront. Was going to run this year but will be on vacation.

June 10 North Shore Half - Ran this last year. Very cool course through the north suburbs. The hill at mile 7.5 is a bitch, but I really like this race. RAM has done a great job building its reputation in Chicago in the last 3 years (Hot Chocolate 15k, Bucktown 5k, Terrapin 5k and now the North Shore Half).

Nice! Thanks for the reviews! I'm planning on doing some serial half marathons this spring so this is helpful.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 am

I did Chi Town half last year - not crowded, but freezing cold that day - 18 w/ a decent wind. I did PR at that race. All lakefront path.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:14 am

Dave - where is said hill in North Shore half? I work in Glenview/Highland Park and could use some good hill repeats.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:36 am

wrichman wrote:Dave - where is said hill in North Shore half? I work in Glenview/Highland Park and could use some good hill repeats.

Unfortunately the North Shore Half's website currently doesn't have the course map listed. So I can't look up the street name. But I do remember that it was down by the lake, on a street heading away from the lake and a boat drop. I'm sure that doesn't help much.

The website has a video tour of the course, and the hill is right after mile 7.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down