365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

12 Weeks Down + 28 Weeks = DAD

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 12 Weeks Down + 28 Weeks = DAD

Post  Mark B on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:28 am

Congratulations to Mom and Dad! Remember to nap when she naps!

Enjoy the adventure. Very Happy
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 am

Congratulations!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:51 am

She is beautiful! Congrats to you and Lisa!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 am

Congratulations DAD!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:01 am

Congratulations, what a special time for both of you!
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 am

Congrats Martin and Lisa! She is adorable...and I agree with Mark, nap when she naps.
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 am

Gratz, y'all! Did she come with all the standard equipment installed in the correct places?
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 pm

As I said on FB, congratulations to you both! She is gorgeous and I hope to meet her in November.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Congrats Dude! Let us know when you stop smiling about your new addition. Well, maybe that will be when she's a teenager. Smile

Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Congrats!!!!!! cheers
carleenp
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:53 pm

CONGRATS!!!!

Very Happy
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:46 pm

Hope you've got a jogging stroller that doesn't sink in muck. Very Happy
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:06 am

Well, this was the most recent blog that I could find from you, Schuey. I totally understand your decision to not make it to JFK. To me, the woman who has had to bail on races for a variety of reasons over the years, I completely and totally get it. I hope that things settle down more and that you get in that great training for Boston. Since I am worried about running in "real" winter again, I have purchased a new treadmill and will need to get used to it very quickly as I'm betting I will need it a lot this winter when I can begin training hard for Boston. I still haven't really got a schedule as I don't know when my surgery will be scheduled, but they promised me right after Thanksgiving, so we will see. Anyway, I might need to pick your brain for some treadmill workouts, but I can also download "real" runs with google maps, so I know I can actually run the Boston hills.

Keep up the good work and I'm sorry taht I won't see you guys this weekend. (I think I will stay home as well as I probably should).

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:46 am

Schuey,

To address your post from Chris' blog: I think your decision to skip JFK50 is a wise one. If your heart isn't into a race, it won't be a good one and isn't worth it. As for your heart not being into, stop feeling guilty about it! You and Lisa are adjusting to a number of lifestyle changes, and while all of us share a love of running, it is a "disposable" activity that must take a backseat to family and work. I can't even imagine trying to find the motivation to go run at 3:00 am with my wife and baby waiting for me at home!

You're one of the toughest SOBs I know. Take some time - at least the rest of this year - to completely clear your mind from racing. The good thing about running, especially the volume you have in the past, is that the gains are tough to lose as long as you maintain a minimum level of fitness. Run when you can, keep yourself in general shape, and when things settle into a more manageable life pattern, you'll be able to transition back to training a lot more easily than you may expect.

That being said, I still want to come over for a tempo run or two on your super treadmill. Britt and I will bring the wine, you provide the treadmill, a shower, and the cute baby. Deal?
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Schuey, I also completely understand. Training for a 50 mile race with lots of work and family responsibilities is tough!!

I have no earthly idea how I was able to get up to run at 4am most days when Christian was 3 and Emme was <1. It was the only time I had and thankfully, they slept through the night. I can't imagine working out at 2am, however.

Now that the kids are older, we have to get them ready for the school bus and there are after-school activities most days of the week and now weekends. So it will always be a challenge to fit in long distance running.

Needless to say, I just ate the entrance fee for running Philly because my heart has not been there.

I have discovered one very important thing--kids are way more fun than running!!!

At some point, you(and I) will figure out a way to balance work, family and running.
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 pm

+1 You will be back. Enjoy this new and different phase of life.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:51 pm

Yes, I saw the post too and definitely agree you made the right (though tough) decision. Either one of those issues (work/hours, baby) would be enough to make it hard to put in the miles but together, they are a show stopper.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:15 pm

@Dave-O wrote:Schuey,

To address your post from Chris' blog: I think your decision to skip JFK50 is a wise one. If your heart isn't into a race, it won't be a good one and isn't worth it. As for your heart not being into, stop feeling guilty about it! You and Lisa are adjusting to a number of lifestyle changes, and while all of us share a love of running, it is a "disposable" activity that must take a backseat to family and work. I can't even imagine trying to find the motivation to go run at 3:00 am with my wife and baby waiting for me at home!

You're one of the toughest SOBs I know. Take some time - at least the rest of this year - to completely clear your mind from racing. The good thing about running, especially the volume you have in the past, is that the gains are tough to lose as long as you maintain a minimum level of fitness. Run when you can, keep yourself in general shape, and when things settle into a more manageable life pattern, you'll be able to transition back to training a lot more easily than you may expect.

That being said, I still want to come over for a tempo run or two on your super treadmill. Britt and I will bring the wine, you provide the treadmill, a shower, and the cute baby. Deal?

Dave thanks so much for your post! You are so right that there has been a lot going on and happening all at once. And as much as I feel I can do it all, the truth to the matter is that I can't or at least when I have tried I have found myself so exhausted that it has taken all the fun out of running.

For as hard as it was to make the decision to pull the plug on JFK this year there is no doubt that it was the right one. I know that I could finish it and that I would do well but that was not the purpose of doing it this year. Also I have come to the realization that I can't fake my way through a marathon but I'm almost certain that running 50 miles would have presented many challenges and issues that while I know I could have conquered it might have also injured me or delayed future training.

Feel really good about my decision and I'm happy that I have matured as a runner to know "When to hold them when to fold them. Know when to walk away and know when to run!"

As much as I want to run this race i know that it is right to pass on it for this year and get ready for my goals of Boston and get the "Bull" train back on track!!

Also without a doubt you are more than welcome to use that new treadmill whenever you want!! Looks like it will becoming out on Black Friday". I will let you know when I get it and you and I will put it to the test! DEAL??
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:26 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Well, this was the most recent blog that I could find from you, Schuey. I totally understand your decision to not make it to JFK. To me, the woman who has had to bail on races for a variety of reasons over the years, I completely and totally get it. I hope that things settle down more and that you get in that great training for Boston. Since I am worried about running in "real" winter again, I have purchased a new treadmill and will need to get used to it very quickly as I'm betting I will need it a lot this winter when I can begin training hard for Boston. I still haven't really got a schedule as I don't know when my surgery will be scheduled, but they promised me right after Thanksgiving, so we will see. Anyway, I might need to pick your brain for some treadmill workouts, but I can also download "real" runs with google maps, so I know I can actually run the Boston hills.

Keep up the good work and I'm sorry taht I won't see you guys this weekend. (I think I will stay home as well as I probably should).

Michele we were so looking forward to seeing you! Maybe we can set something up to see sometime in the near future now that you don't live that far away from us!

@Diego wrote:Schuey, I also completely understand. Training for a 50 mile race with lots of work and family responsibilities is tough!!

I have no earthly idea how I was able to get up to run at 4am most days when Christian was 3 and Emme was <1. It was the only time I had and thankfully, they slept through the night. I can't imagine working out at 2am, however.

Now that the kids are older, we have to get them ready for the school bus and there are after-school activities most days of the week and now weekends. So it will always be a challenge to fit in long distance running.

Needless to say, I just ate the entrance fee for running Philly because my heart has not been there.

I have discovered one very important thing--kids are way more fun than running!!!

At some point, you(and I) will figure out a way to balance work, family and running.

Diego thanks so much for you post! Yes you and I both will figure this training thing out with kids! I know for me things will become a lot easier once Lisa starts her new job from home. That right there will now allow me to be able to train again during the day. The other thing that will help is the new treadmill that I'm buying.

@Liz R wrote:+1 You will be back. Enjoy this new and different phase of life.

Thanks Liz! i would not trade this awesome ride that we are on for anything! I have never felt so complete in my whole life with now having Kristina in the world with us! It is amazing I now know how my parents and other parents like yourself have felt all these years. It is a feeling, experience that one can try to describe or put into words but until you become a parent you will never know what it feels like to be dad or mom. I don't mean that in a bad way but for me it truly has come to light to me about what it means and feels like to be a DAD!

@JohnP wrote:Yes, I saw the post too and definitely agree you made the right (though tough) decision. Either one of those issues (work/hours, baby) would be enough to make it hard to put in the miles but together, they are a show stopper.

Yes John tough decision but in know 100% in my heart that it is the right one. I can finally say that by not doing it doesn't make me any less of a runner than I already am. I will be back there next year and I will reach my goal of finishing in 6:30 or better. Good thing for me is that I have Boston in the Spring and than I'm running the North Country 50 miler. Which by the way I will leak my goal of NC 50 miler now and that is I'm going out to win the reach outright! More on that when i start my new blog.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Priorities, my friend. Nicely done.

And what kind of t-mill are you getting?
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:42 pm

@Bob wrote:Priorities, my friend. Nicely done.

Getting the new treadmill from pro-from "The Boston Treadmill" this thing is freaking awesome!! Going to cost me a little money but well worth it. Actually I have been saving for it since April.

http://www.fitnesszone.com/product/Proform-Boston-Marathon-Treadmill.html

Not sure who will buy from yet fitness zone or direct from Pro-form. Waiting to see who has the better deal.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:44 pm

@Bob wrote:Priorities, my friend. Nicely done.

Oh thanks about the priorities! No doubt that I will find a way to work in the running again. But seeing and watching my first born child is only a once in a lifetime experience!! And I will not miss any of that for anything.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Saw that t-mill at the Boston Expo. Sweeeeeet!
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Cool on the treadmill. I got this one which I believe is similar:

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_10301_12401_59002_182969

I wanted the incline/decline feature since Cleveland is pretty flat (on the west side) as compared with Atlanta. We have beautiful hills on the east side, but not as easy to get there during the week or in the winter weather.

I need a solid race in March - so I will travel to either Chicago or Michigan. I know there is the Shamrock Shuffle (ran the 8K back in 2005) and a half (March madness) that is supposed to be hilly. I have the option of a 15k here, but the course is a bit odd in that the first 4.5 miles is a gradual downhill and then you climb a short, very steep hill (top runners even walk it) and then you go up. I'll have to look at the schedules with regards to my daughter's Spring Break.

Love the pictures of Kristina in the Michigan outfit!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:17 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Cool on the treadmill. I got this one which I believe is similar:

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_10301_12401_59002_182969

I wanted the incline/decline feature since Cleveland is pretty flat (on the west side) as compared with Atlanta. We have beautiful hills on the east side, but not as easy to get there during the week or in the winter weather.

I need a solid race in March - so I will travel to either Chicago or Michigan. I know there is the Shamrock Shuffle (ran the 8K back in 2005) and a half (March madness) that is supposed to be hilly. I have the option of a 15k here, but the course is a bit odd in that the first 4.5 miles is a gradual downhill and then you climb a short, very steep hill (top runners even walk it) and then you go up. I'll have to look at the schedules with regards to my daughter's Spring Break.

Love the pictures of Kristina in the Michigan outfit!

Michele I plan on running the March Madness 1/2 in March. No doubt that this race is a good prep for Boston. I want to run the Shamrock 8k again this year and try to pop a big PR in the 8k distance. This 8k race is the only one that I ever run. be right back Kristina needs food
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top