365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lobo's Last Stand?

+4
Mark B
KBFitz
Kenny B.
Dave Wolfe
8 posters

Go down

Lobo's Last Stand? Empty Lobo's Last Stand?

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:31 pm

We all have our obsessions and like Ahab I want to kill that damn white whale. Although I seem to get slower in each attempt I have wanted to PR at the marathon distance. Problem is that PR was set 1979. So November is, I think, my final NYCM. I don't know what training that might entail -- but last year I ran it without a time goal and the result was distinctly unsatisfactory.

Problem is except for the last two weeks I haven't run much since early November. End of year work crush and then my brother-in-law passed away. He was unmarried and we have been closing down his home -- exhausting. But things are back to the normal routine.

Time to build up some consistent miles. Time to get the legs and lungs in shape. Seems quite an unpleasant challenge as I've lost a lot of fitness. But I'll see how much fitness I can gain -- maybe even enough to run a decent marathon.

Ran 3 ugly miles to today.

Last edited by Dave Wolfe on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Lobo's Last Stand? Empty Re: Lobo's Last Stand?

Post  Kenny B. Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Want some custer with that. Reminds me of a place I used to frequent in upstate new york called Custer's last stand.

Anyways, 3 miles does count!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Who starts a blog and then promptly ignores it? Yeah me.

I've been running short distances fairly consistently but this week I'm adding some structure to my running based on Joe Rubio's training philosophy. Rubio's the owner of Runner's Warehouse; coach of the Aggies Running Club; and marathoner. Here is an article from Running Times laying out the basic idea. Rubio
The basic elements are: 1) the weekly long run (@25% of mileage)
2) mid-week progression sort o long (15%)
3) long intervals 4) short intervals/strides 5) Tempo run
6) moderate or easy runs
7) rest day.

I'll cycle through the 3 quality workouts doing (probably) 2 each week so I hit each system at least once every 2 weeks. I had wanted to try and implement this last year but got really sick and dropped the idea. The point is to keep some structure and variety in my running. Challenging each physiological system or at least enjoying the ride.

Enjoyed my run this morning -- "long intervals" 3 x (3 minutes on/ 3 minutes off). I know not very long. The reps were @8:30 -- I know not very fast. But it was a good start -- bare with me a few weeks or months as the quality improves. A total of 4 miles and with each passing week I'm feeling stronger after too much time off. Tomorrow is the progression run which I'm not really in shape for it yet.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Sounds like a plan to me! Stick with it Dave. Don't push too hard in the beginning (first 4 weeks). You'll see results as you get into it. Cheers!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Kevin -- not pushing it hard at all.

5 mile progression this morning. Very easy 1.5 miles; easy 2.5 miles; and moderate/hard last mile. Had wanted to go six but was cutting it close on time and fitness. A good morning with tomorrow being easy. Just trying to get in the flow but starting to feel stronger -- not faster but somewhat stronger.

My local 5k was sold out over a month ago. So I signed up for a 15K on April 1. NYRRs made it so difficult since it is a race for charity I damn well almost gave up in the middle. Not even sure I can run that far. Still 4/5 weeks away so it shouldn't be a problem and if I'm consistent maybe I'll surprise myself.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 am

Dave Wolfe wrote:If I'm consistent maybe I'll surprise myself.

I think that should be your mantra this cycle, Dave. Do whatever it takes to allow you to train consistently. If it means being conservative, and thus possibly avoiding a cycle-killing injury, I think you'll come out better in the end.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Yay for getting back in the flow and feeling fitter!
It's amazing how quickly the flow and fitness go away, and how we have to work like crazy to get it back, huh?
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks Mark & Kathy --

Well hopefully our last out of town/disruptive weekend for the winter. I did not run choosing instead to sit by the pool and watch it snow while the kids swam in the hotel pool -- Shelly hit the exercise room so I really have no excuse. Sunday I felt like trash. So Monday I got a rough 3 miler in and this morning a slow but fairly solid 4 miles in. Tomorrow I'll either do a Higdon type tempo run or some short fartlek intervals. Nothing too strenuous.

I'm very surprised at how difficult it is to get back in running shape. I do see improvement but at the same time I really need to work at it. No flow; no ease; no real cares about my lack of fitness either. Just a bit of fun.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 am

Or I could just sleep in. Oops -- must have needed the rest.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:50 am

Sleeping in...yes, sometimes our minds and bodies need that more than anything.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Fairly good week of running but nothing special. Thursday did 3.5 miles about 2 miles "short intervals" -- one lamppost sprint/one lamppost jog in a kind of fartleck way. Friday was sloth so no running. Yesterday did an easy 5 and ran the same 5 mile route today but with each mile 1-4 getting faster. Mile 5 was slower both by design and by necessity. Busy weekend so it was the best I could do.

My daughter is using google to translate her Spanish homework into English -- is that cheating?
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:43 am

Dave Wolfe wrote:Fairly good week of running but nothing special. Thursday did 3.5 miles about 2 miles "short intervals" -- one lamppost sprint/one lamppost jog in a kind of fartleck way. Friday was sloth so no running. Yesterday did an easy 5 and ran the same 5 mile route today but with each mile 1-4 getting faster. Mile 5 was slower both by design and by necessity. Busy weekend so it was the best I could do.

My daughter is using google to translate her Spanish homework into English -- is that cheating?

Nice running Dave!
About your daughter and wondering if that's cheating. Hmmmmm. I wondered the same thing when my niece was using it to translate her Spanish homework (and talked about it on facebook) Is it any different than using her textbook or a dictionary to translate when you get stuck? I don't know. But if she'll have to do the same kinds of translations on a test, she might want to resist the urge to rely on google.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Been plugging away at short and slow runs which seem to be all I can handle now. The stress of 2011 must have impacted my fitness more than I thought. I'll keep at it until things turn around. Part of the problem is the 20 lbs. I've gained this since 2010 -- certainly slow you down. It's early in the season and compared to this time last year I'm putting in more miles so that's a good thing.

Twisted my left ankle this morning and may have to take a couple of days off. I'll see tomorrow. Good running to everyone.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 am

Sorry about the ankle, Dave, but keep plugging away at it. I guess I'll see you in NYC this fall as I'm a glutton for punishment and running it again this year.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Short/Slow runs...that's what I'll be doing when I start running again after I calm my angry knee. So you won't be alone in your short/slowness ;-) (though my slowness will be slower than yours)

Hope your ankle is ok!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey Dave, just wanted to offer some encouragement as you move forward. 20 lbs might seem like a lot, but you can get through that a day at a time - sounds like you are enjoying easing back into things and that is all that matters anyway. Good luck with the ankle and good luck moving forward!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for the encouragement John.

No real heart to blog as progress has been slow and with allergies making it tough to breath. . . Well I continue to plug away assuming every little bit helps. Also walking at lunchtime -- not sure if that helps much but it doesn't hurt.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:Thanks for the encouragement John.

No real heart to blog as progress has been slow and with allergies making it tough to breath. . . Well I continue to plug away assuming every little bit helps. Also walking at lunchtime -- not sure if that helps much but it doesn't hurt.

Why is progress slow. Are you just not mentally into it or physically having issues?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Dave Wolfe wrote:Thanks for the encouragement John.

Why is progress slow. Are you just not mentally into it or physically having issues?

Allergies are killing me this year -- making it difficult to breathe. Waiting for summer -- or at least for these plants to stop blooming.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:17 pm

I have been running. Advice don't get out of shape . . . it is too hard to get back into shape. Also methodically doing core work -- which is a new thing for me. After a couple of months difficulty breathing the doctor and I do believe it was nothing more than allergies. I think I'm going to defer NYC this year. I'll slowly round into a semblance of shape and pick some different goals.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Good to hear you're back at it Dave. Keep on keepin' on!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Good that you're running again, but I'm sorry I won't meet you in NY.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down