365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

First At Bat to BQ - Bayshore

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: First At Bat to BQ - Bayshore

Post  Julie on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:03 am

Yeah I've run and walked with one, I'd say at least try it out and if the pain gets a lot worse or bruising increases back off, but I don't think all doctors understand running enough and they just say "rest for x weeks."
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 am

Julie, I think they just try to cover themselves. I think they know there's no way I'll take that long off and so they extend it thinking I'll at least go a little longer without running.

So after a week of going hard on the eliptical and bike I finally tested it out last night. I did about 40min on the treadmill last night. I felt it but nothing bad. The key is how it responded today. It's a bit more tender but nothing too bad. I'll test it again tonight and take it outside this time. If I can get an 18-miler this weekend I'll be happy.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:24 am

Hope the pinky toe continues to hold up well for your 18 miler!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie, I think they just try to cover themselves. I think they know there's no way I'll take that long off and so they extend it thinking I'll at least go a little longer without running.

So after a week of going hard on the eliptical and bike I finally tested it out last night. I did about 40min on the treadmill last night. I felt it but nothing bad. The key is how it responded today. It's a bit more tender but nothing too bad. I'll test it again tonight and take it outside this time. If I can get an 18-miler this weekend I'll be happy.

Just do it gradually. It has taken me a long time to learn that, but I think I finally have...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie, I think they just try to cover themselves. I think they know there's no way I'll take that long off and so they extend it thinking I'll at least go a little longer without running.

Alex, I've been fighting off an Achilles' niggle and have found that ice immediately after the run makes a pretty big difference in how it feels the next day. If the toe isn't responding well to the running, give that a shot and you might be pleasantly surprised at how much better it feels the next day in comparison. Hope it allows you to keep running.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks Kathy, Michael, and Jim. I'm definitely going by feel as I've started up again. I'm doing tests and seeing how it responds.

So after Tuesday's successful first run back on the treadmill, I took it outside on Wednesday night. I had done the elliptical at lunch so I did 7M with the middle miles at MP. One of the things I noticed about being outside as opposed to the treadmill was when I took a right turn I got a jolt as the added load hit the toe from turning. No big deal.

Yesterday I did five miles easy. I've done some hard elliptical over the past few days along with last night's run so my legs were a little tired. It was in the 60's which was great, but it was really windy. A couple of the strong gusts almost stopped me in my tracks.

This morning was another test. I did 7M easy but I also did 7 x 100M strides. No issues.

Tomorrow will be a bigger test as I do 18M. It's been one thing to run an hour on it but we'll see how it holds up to over 2.5 hours.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:32 am

Good luck with the long run!

Sounds like you should avoid turns - maybe you can just keep going...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 am

Glad to hear the toe is doing fine. My prediction is that it will continue to feel fine for your 18 miler.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:14 am

I've survived my final tests on the toe. One thing I noticed was that along with right turns, going down a steep hill will send a shock to the toe. No big deal though.

Saturday - 18M Progressive. Did the first 5M at LSD, then dropped 20sec the next 4M, then another 20sec for 4M, then 15sec for 3M. The last 2M I was going for MP, but it wasn't there. I was doing this on water only and a big hill at 16M combined to not be able to sustain MP at the end. Oh well. I'm just happy to run the 18M.

Sunday AM - 6M Easy. Usually there's a few people out early Sunday but with daylight savings I didn't see anyone else.

Sunday PM - 4M Easy. Final test was the double. No issues. Good to go.

Monday lunch - 9M 4 x 1M @ 5K with .25M in between. On the roads. The last one I couldn't sustain the 5K with the hills. I was pretty trashed after.

Monday night - 4M Recovery. Just to get rid of the junk.

Tonight will be 11M.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 am

See, I told you your toe would be fine for your 18 miler! Glad you feel good to go!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Wow Alex, looks like you're doing great! Listen to your body but keep up the great work if it's going well!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Yeah about the toe!!!!! Nice running.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks Kathy, Julie, Michele.

I'm finding that after hard runs my toe is really talking to me. I'm realizing that this isn't going to get any better until I stop. But that won't happen until after Bayshore. This morning was difficult to run on.

Tuesday - 11M GA. After trashing myself on Monday I ran with what I had left. After back to back hard days I had to down some Ibproferen.

Wednesday - 5M Easy. Toe felt much better. My legs were pretty dead though.

Thursday - 7M GA with middle 3M @ MP-20. This was a feel run. Wasn't feeling it all morning and was just going to go 6 or 7 and run by feel. Got out there and felt good and then dropped to MP-20. Didn't feel tough at all. I was really happy. But I could feel the toe act up.

Friday - 6M Easy with 7 x 100m. Wasn't a good run.

Tomorrow the plan is to go really long. I want to go 3:40 which would be 15min past goal time. This is strictly a time on feet run. I plan to keep the pace between 80-85%. We'll see how it goes.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 am

Just checking in - glad the toe isn't shutting you down, but it sounds like you have a good attitude about it - sort of a grit your teeth and bear it thing I guess. Keep up the good work!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:27 am

Sorry to hear that the toe keeps bothering you. I hope that ends up better than when I tried to run through my PF last spring.

Hang in there with it.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:17 pm

3hr40min? Beast. Are you taping the toe to the next one at all?
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:47 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Just checking in - glad the toe isn't shutting you down, but it sounds like you have a good attitude about it - sort of a grit your teeth and bear it thing I guess. Keep up the good work!

Thanks John. It is what it is. Hopefully it doesn't fall off or anything over the final 10 weeks.

Michael Enright wrote:Sorry to hear that the toe keeps bothering you. I hope that ends up better than when I tried to run through my PF last spring.

Hang in there with it.

Thanks Michael. I think if it were a tendon or muscle issue I'd probably shut it down, but with bone I think or at least I hope I'm not destroying it too much further.

Mike MacLellan wrote:3hr40min? Beast. Are you taping the toe to the next one at all?

Mike, I keep it taped all the time. I'm hoping that's helping.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:56 pm

On to the weekend runs. Sunday completed my highest week ever at 78M. Didn't realize I was that close or I would have done an extra two miles. This ends the strength phase and now I'll be on to the marathon specific stuff to finish the cycle.

Saturday - 24+M. LSD. This was my easy time on feet big run. Did it on water only. It was a tale of two halves. The first half I felt terrible and was like this is going to be a long day. But the second half I just started feeling better and ran a little faster the last 4M. Could have easily gone another 2 to complete the Full but I was pretty much out of water. I was happy overall.

Sunday AM - 7M. GA. Because I didn't run too hard yesterday just long I had a little left over to run GA. Did some leg work after the run.

Sunday PM - 4M Easy. Even though it was really nice out I did this on the treadmill. Figured it was a little less strain on the toe.

Monday - 5M Easy. With the long run, GA run, leg work, my legs were trashed. Just went real easy.

Tomorrow will be some LT running.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Seems like the toe is something you can run with - nice work!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 am

Good to see that you are taking your broker toe 'in stride'...
Do you think it's getting any better...worse...or about the same as when you first injured it? Just wondering.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:25 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Seems like the toe is something you can run with - nice work!

Thanks Michele. I'll probably want to cut it off by the time the marathon gets here.

KathyK wrote:Good to see that you are taking your broker toe 'in stride'...
Do you think it's getting any better...worse...or about the same as when you first injured it? Just wondering.

Thanks Kathy. It's definitely not getting better. It's not really getting worse although sometimes it feels like it does. I still have two months until the marathon so I've got a while.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 am

Tuesday lunch - 9M 5 @ 15K-HMP. A bit warm out there. I could have used some water along the way. I was pretty wiped out after.

Tuesday PM - 4M Easy. Did this on the treadmill to again try and save some pounding on the toe. I plan to do this on days I double and maybe some other easy days.

Wednesday - 12M GA. I'm not a mile into this and for some reason I'm developing a blister on my heel. Have no idea why. Same shoes and sox as usual. After 5M it was really affecting my stride and so I pulled over to try and pop it. This didn't do much and I started limp running. Cut it short and headed home. Cleaned it and bandaid it and put on different shoes and sox and jumped on the treadmill for the final 4M. I was so mad though because my legs were there tonight and I was having a good run.

A couple of easy days now and then a 20M on Saturday.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 am

If you can run through a broken toe, surely you can run through a blister... Just teasing. Looking good with your training. You're going to tear up Bayshore come May.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Wow, nice training! Congrats on the high mileage too. I hope your toe can heal up with all of this. I'm eager to see how Bayshore goes.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 am

I wonder if substituting an elliptical workout for your easy runs would be an option since you said your toe isn't getting any better....maybe giving it a rest from the pounding on the easy days would help?
Just a thought.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top