365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep Pushin'

+18
Schuey
Joel H
mul21
T Miller
John Kilpatrick
Alex Kubacki
Ken Mello
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
fostever
Dave Wolfe
Mark B
KathyK
22 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Keep Pushin'  - Page 7 Empty Re: Keep Pushin'

Post  Schuey Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:22 am

Kathy my suggestion is that you do Fartlek runs for speed work. 1. Since you are not training for anything in particular and 2. Since you haven't done much speed stuff of late the Fartlek in my opinion will be your biggest bang for the buck.

1. It is a great transition into much harder speed/uptempo stuff like Tempo runs and intervals
2. It is easy on the body and you can do all types of combinations of Fartlek runs by distance or time
3. They can be tossed into any type of run.

If you need for help with how to put these into your works or my explantation let me know. For me the Fartlek has been a staple training tool and one of the most beneficial to me. Especially for running a marathon.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:39 am

Schuey wrote:Kathy my suggestion is that you do Fartlek runs for speed work. 1. Since you are not training for anything in particular and 2. Since you haven't done much speed stuff of late the Fartlek in my opinion will be your biggest bang for the buck.

1. It is a great transition into much harder speed/uptempo stuff like Tempo runs and intervals
2. It is easy on the body and you can do all types of combinations of Fartlek runs by distance or time
3. They can be tossed into any type of run.

If you need for help with how to put these into your works or my explantation let me know. For me the Fartlek has been a staple training tool and one of the most beneficial to me. Especially for running a marathon.
Thanks so much, Schuey! I was kind of leaning toward Fartlek runs, too, but just wasn't sure. Thanks for pointing our the advantages of transitioning back into speed work with Fartleks!

I'll start next week. Now, here's another question. I run Tuesday (evening), Thursday (evening), Saturday (morning). Saturday is always my 'long' run. (Keep in mind, 'long' is relative). Should the Fartlek run be my Tuesday or Thursday run?
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Kathy - I think either day would work, but I would pick Tuesday if it was me since it is far enough removed from the "long" run day of Saturday. Not sure what you are doing as xtraining the other days, but since I have not been running, I have even been doing "intervals" on the elliptical. I'll warm up for 10 min and then do 10 x 1 min at a faster pace just to work on turnover so I don't lose everything.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Kathy - I think either day would work, but I would pick Tuesday if it was me since it is far enough removed from the "long" run day of Saturday. Not sure what you are doing as xtraining the other days, but since I have not been running, I have even been doing "intervals" on the elliptical. I'll warm up for 10 min and then do 10 x 1 min at a faster pace just to work on turnover so I don't lose everything.

Thanks Michele. Yes, the timing of the Fartleks on Tuesdays make sense. Thanks for that guidance.
As far as cross training goes, I hop on the elliptical on Monday and Wednesday mornings before work. I alternate between a cardio session and interval. I do usually do some combination of Zumba and strength/toning on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings before work. I run after work on Tuesday/Thursdays.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 am

I did my first double digit run in a long time on Saturday morning. 10 miles. Nice and slow. It was really humid outside, but overcast. Jack ran the first 4 with me, then he turned left to go home, and I turned right to do the Helpful Hill route. So, my last mile was all uphill. I was totally drenched when I finished, but, happily, not at all wiped out.

30 minute interval session on the elliptical this morning before work.

KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Did my normal Tuesday morning strength/toning working.
I'll run this evening after work. I'll likely do a Fartlek run of some sort just to reintroduce my body to a bit of speed work.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Looking good, Kathy! I like the idea of introducing some Fartlek work into your routine. Especially since you're not training for anything at the moment, it's good to throw in some variety to keep it fun.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:39 am

I too like the introduction of Fartleks to get back at it. Great job on the long run.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:05 am

Mark B wrote:Looking good, Kathy! I like the idea of introducing some Fartlek work into your routine. Especially since you're not training for anything at the moment, it's good to throw in some variety to keep it fun.
Thanks Mark! I wondered if not having a goal race was going to make me more lazy with my running. But, like you said, keeping it fun is key to my goal to keep pushin'!

Alex Kubacki wrote:I too like the introduction of Fartleks to get back at it. Great job on the long run.
Thanks Alex. I'm looking forward to another 10 miler this weekend!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So...my planned Fartlek run after work didn't take place. Not after work, anyway. Jack had a terrible, gosh awful, nasty, frustrating day at work. And he's dealing with some stress related to one of his siblings. I sensed that he needed me when I got home from work more than I needed to get that run in. So I decided to postpone the Fartlek run until this morning before work, and spend time just chillin' and chatting with my hubby. Good decision.

So that meant I did the run this morning on the treadmill. I don't like running pre-dawn/early morning on my usual routes, so pre-work runs are always on the 'mill. The Fartlek mill workout was fun. I warmed up for a mile, then goosed up the mill to ~ my 5k PR pace and held it there for a minute and a half. Then slowed back down a bit for a couple of minutes, then goosed it again. I continued on with bursts of speed, and I varied the paces for the whole run. LSD pace, then HM pace, then marathon pace, then 10k pace, LSD pace, 5k pace, etc... and the 5 miles went by very quickly.

I'm pleased with how my body felt at my 5k PR pace. At this point, I certainly couldn't PR a 5k again, (or any race, for that matter) but it was good to know my legs could still turnover at that rate and hold it there for a while without me having to bail off of the mill.

Fun run for a treadmill run!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:07 am

Checking in to see how the fartlek went, and I'm glad to hear that it was fun. Hope Jack is having a better day.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Checking in to see how the fartlek went, and I'm glad to hear that it was fun. Hope Jack is having a better day.
Thanks for checking in Michele! It was, indeed, fun, and I can feel some of my running fitness returning. But goodness, it's taking a long time to feel like a runner again!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm

It was a wonderful week for our family! My daughter got engaged!!! And Jack and I made an offer on a lot down at the coast that was accepted!

And, of course, I ran during the week, but I was so excited over the other two developments that I hardly even noticed anything else going on in the world.

We are thrilled with Emily's engagement! My ex-husband got a call from Emily's boyfriend, asking for permission to ask Emily to marry him. He called me to let me know. She called us in the middle of the night the following night. (she was out in Montana with her boyfriend.) I answered the phone and asked what's up. I knew, of course, but wanted her to tell me. Well, she said, "Guess what." What, I said. "I saw a bear." A bear? Then they saw cows, were chased by cows, walked to a cabin, left the cabin, then he called Emily over to the horses they were riding. He was on his knee saying that Smokey (the horse Emily had been riding) had a cut on his foot. Em was concerned and rushed over. Of course the horse didn't have a cut on his foot, but since Anthony was already on his knee, he pulled out a ring and asked Emily to marry him. Laughing On top of a mountain. At sunset. The guy gets extra style points!

Our other news...the lot at the coast. We've always dreamed about moving to the beach when we retire. And a few weeks ago, we drove down to Sunset Beach, NC just to look around. While we were there, we picked up a list of foreclosures. On the list, we found a big lot (almost 2 acres) in a community that is situated between the Intracoastal water way and the Shallotte river at Holden Beach, NC. The community has great frontage on the ICW, and when we toured the community, we both fell in love. The lot we found is about a mile inland. So, still pretty close. As close as we are able to afford, anyway. Just a 5 minute drive to Holden Beach. As I type, we are waiting for the signed contract to come back from the bank. Assuming that comes back as we hope, we'll close during the middle of September. Laughing

And running....
My Thursday run got postponed until Friday morning on the mill.
Then I ran again on Saturday. Because I started before dawn, I started on the 'mill, and did 4.5 miles. Then went outside after the sun came up and did another 5.5 miles. My legs were tired after my Friday run, but I got the run done. (I typically don't run two days in a row.)

This morning, I hopped on the elliptical for 30 minutes. Legs felt great!

KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Whoo-hoo! Talk about a great few days! It's amazing you even remembered running at all. Very Happy

Your future son-in-law is devious and romantic. Just about the perfect combination. Congrats.

Is the lot amenable to your current job, or is this more a retirement sort of thing? Either way, it sounds great.

And, oh yes... good job on the running! It is nice to turn the legs loose every once in a while, if only to remind you that there's still some juice in 'em yet!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Mark B wrote:Whoo-hoo! Talk about a great few days! It's amazing you even remembered running at all. Very Happy

Your future son-in-law is devious and romantic. Just about the perfect combination. Congrats.

Is the lot amenable to your current job, or is this more a retirement sort of thing? Either way, it sounds great.

And, oh yes... good job on the running! It is nice to turn the legs loose every once in a while, if only to remind you that there's still some juice in 'em yet!

Thanks Mark! My future son-in-law is a great guy! An ex-Marine who joined then the Army so he could become a Green Beret. Upon graduation from his Special Forces training, he was told that he was also wanted as a Ranger. (he politely declined) He's a bad-ass, but in a good way! He reminds me of Jack in that way.

The lot is a retirement thing...we'll start building in ~5 years. Looks like lots of nice running routes down there!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:35 pm

I feel so blessed, and I thank our God for all of the happiness in my life right now!

--I got to see my daughter and my future son-in-law yesterday...they are both GLOWING with happiness. It's good to see!
--And my step-daughter got a job offer today after being out of the workforce for 7 years. She stayed home with the babies, but now that the youngest is starting kindergarten, she wanted to go back to work. She is thrilled!
--And my son...continues to do well in flight school. He's been flying the Apache since the beginning of July. Today, he starts the 'Bag' training. Basically, they pull curtains over the entire cockpit and have the pilot fly looking only at the feed through the monocle over his right eye.
--And our retirement planning with the lot at the coast. Although we still don't have the signed contract in our hand, we expect that any second.

As a Momma, there is nothing better than seeing all of my 'babies' so happy. And it frees me to focus on dreaming about our life at the coast!

Running....I did 5 miles on the treadmill this morning before work. I'm finding I really like the pre-work treadmill miles for reasons I don't totally understand. But it's all good!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:27 pm

I've discovered that I've been really enjoying my pre-work treadmill runs. So, I'm doing an experiment. I'm going to add an extra day of running if I do my Tuesday run in the morning. I haven't run 4 days a week for ~4 years, so we'll see how my 53 year old body handles the extra day.

Because I ran 5 miles on the mill yesterday morning, I did a very slow easy 3 this morning. Tomorrow's run will either be 5 miles on the mill before work, or 6 miles on the road after work. (5 is all I can fit in before work)

The extra run will take the place of one of my elliptical sessions...which are usually Mondays and Wednesdays. But I've been doing the same weekly routine for so long, it's probably a good thing to shake it up a bit.

We got word today that we are officially under contract for the lot at the coast! We close on Sept. 17th and are soooo excited!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:21 pm

What a great week you're having! I can see why you'd be walking on air right now. Very Happy

I bet swapping out a treadmill run for an elliptical session will work out well, as long as you start off a little easier than you might want. Gradual transitions seem to be easier on the body (at any age) than just plunging in. Sometimes, you need to sneak up on it. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Awesome news on all fronts. Congrats to all your kids and yourself on the new lot. I bet you are going to love running to the beach and then running on the beach when you retire.

Good job on the running, I am excited to see how adding another day of running works for you. Are you still doing Zumba as well? Or was that someone else....sorry it has been a while since I have been following the blogs.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Mark B wrote:What a great week you're having! I can see why you'd be walking on air right now. Very Happy

I bet swapping out a treadmill run for an elliptical session will work out well, as long as you start off a little easier than you might want. Gradual transitions seem to be easier on the body (at any age) than just plunging in. Sometimes, you need to sneak up on it. Wink

Mark, Yeah, the plan is for that new extra run to be SLOW and easy. (I'm already slow...but this will be even SLOWER than LSD pace). I will admit to being eager to run this morning, I WANTED to go faster. But didn't.

Joel H wrote:Awesome news on all fronts. Congrats to all your kids and yourself on the new lot. I bet you are going to love running to the beach and then running on the beach when you retire.

Good job on the running, I am excited to see how adding another day of running works for you. Are you still doing Zumba as well? Or was that someone else....sorry it has been a while since I have been following the blogs.

Joel...good to see ya! Yes, I'm already looking forward to running there...even though it'll be a few years before we even begin building a house! And yes, you remember correctly. I've been doing Zumba. I suspect that I'll only Zumba on Friday morning's now. I try to get some sort of cardio workout done every day before going to work, so I alternate between running, elliptical and Zumba.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:21 pm

I realized that by adding an extra running day per week on Wednesday also is another experiment. Not only am I running 4 days a week instead of 3, but I'll also be running 3 days in a row (Tues, Wed, Thurs). Hmmmm. We'll see how that goes. I may have to switch that up in some way.

Anyway, I ran 5 miles on the 'mill this morning prior to work. Started slowly, then gradually picked it up a bit every half mile. I used the last half mile to slow back down again. Good run.

So far, my experiment is going well. My legs feel good. My knees seem fine. We'll see how it goes.

Tomorrow morning, I'll either do Zumba or elliptical. Not sure which.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:22 pm

I hopped on the elliptical this morning for 30 minutes after doing my sit ups and push ups. But, I REALLY wanted to hop on the treadmill just to see what would happen if I ran 4 days in a row. My body really is feeling pretty good...maybe running 3 days in a row Tues-Wed-Thurs is going to be a really good thing for me?

But...I'll probably miss my long run this weekend. For a good reason, though. Tomorrow, when I'd normally be doing my long run, we'll be heading down to the coast to visit our lot and get to know the area a little better. We'll be leaving the house ~6:00 AM and won't be returning until later tomorrow night. Then, on Sunday we'll head to church, then Emily and I will go WEDDING DRESS shopping!! We are both so excited!!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:52 pm

As I suspected, I didn't have the time for a long run over the weekend. But the weekend was totally fantastic! Jack and I drove down to Holden Beach to visit the lot we are in the process of purchasing and fell even more in love with the lot, the community it's in and the whole Holden Beach area. On Sunday, after church, Emily and I began wedding dress shopping. Soooo much fun! She is going to make a spectacular-looking bride!

I had a conference to go to early yesterday morning, so my morning workout was reduced to sit-ups, push-up and a few other strength/toning things. Was wiped out when I got home.

It's supposed to be rainy/stormy when I get off work today, so I hopped on the treadmill this morning for a quick 5 miler. Varied the pace from ~10k pace to LSD pace. I'll do a slow 3 mile run on the mill tomorrow morning.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am

Did some sit-ups, push-ups and then hopped on the 'mill for an easy 3 mile jog. Then continued walking on the 'mill for 5 minutes while doing various reps with hand weights.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 am

Five more miles on the 'mill this morning before work. I enjoy morning running, even on the treadmill.
This is week 2 of my experimentation of running Tues, Wed., Thurs. rather than just Tues/Thurs. So far so good. My legs feel great! I'll hop on the elliptical tomorrow morning before work. And then a 10 miler on Saturday.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:38 am

Looking good Kathy. Enjoy the 10-miler. Hopefully it's good weather this holiday weekend.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum