365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Keep Pushin'

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Keep Pushin'

Post  KathyK on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:54 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Looking good Kathy. Enjoy the 10-miler. Hopefully it's good weather this holiday weekend.
Thanks Alex! I think the weather here is supposed to be fine tomorrow, but maybe not so nice for Sunday/Monday.
-----------------------

As planned, I hopped on the elliptical this morning after I did my sit-ups and push-ups. When I finished my 30 minute session, I did a bunch of various reps with hand weights.

I don't quite understand it, but rather than feeling like my knees (especially my right knee) is getting more ouch-y from running 3 days in a row, it feels like my knees actually LIKE it. Hmmmm. Makes no sense to me, but I'll take it. We'll see how things feel after tomorrow's 10 miler.

Hope y'all have a great holiday weekend!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 am

Looking strong on your runs lately, keep up the great work.

FYI...you are making me jealous with all this talk about your lot along the beach. I plan on retiring to North Carolina too!
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:01 am

Maybe those knees just need a little push. I have the same issues sometimes where my glutes/hammies like to run and don't like time off.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:15 pm

@Joel H wrote:Looking strong on your runs lately, keep up the great work.

FYI...you are making me jealous with all this talk about your lot along the beach. I plan on retiring to North Carolina too!
Thanks Joel! We are not exactly on the beach, but close enough...just about a mile inland. Just a quick 5 minute drive...we have to drive down the road about 3 miles to get to the bridge that crosses the ICW, then just over to Holden Beach island!

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Maybe those knees just need a little push. I have the same issues sometimes where my glutes/hammies like to run and don't like time off.
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing, Michele. All along I thought that my knees didn't want to run consecutive days, and it turns out that's just what they needed.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Just read the beginning of your blog and hope to get through the rest soon! So sorry to hear about the cancer diagnoses. Words can't express how much that sucks. But I know you are a fighter and I know you will help the rest of the people in your life fight just as hard! XOXOXO
Erin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Gosh, all this talk about the glory of North Carolina... maybe I need to pay a visit to that part of the world someday!

I like how fluid and experimental you're being in your running. I think what our body wants/needs changes over time, and we pay the price if we don't notice those changes and just keep grinding away on autopilot.

I just need your discipline to start adding in sit-ups and push-ups....
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:17 pm

@Mark B wrote:Gosh, all this talk about the glory of North Carolina... maybe I need to pay a visit to that part of the world someday!

I like how fluid and experimental you're being in your running. I think what our body wants/needs changes over time, and we pay the price if we don't notice those changes and just keep grinding away on autopilot.

Aint that the truth. You go girl! Finding the serenity in running is sometimes the greatest gift!

E Greenie<--football season already.....awwwwwww, you're kiddin' me.
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 am

@Erin wrote:Just read the beginning of your blog and hope to get through the rest soon! So sorry to hear about the cancer diagnoses. Words can't express how much that sucks. But I know you are a fighter and I know you will help the rest of the people in your life fight just as hard! XOXOXO
Thanks for the support, Erin. We can use all of the good vibes we can get!

@Mark B wrote:Gosh, all this talk about the glory of North Carolina... maybe I need to pay a visit to that part of the world someday!

NC IS a great state, Mark! Hotter than you're used to, but certainly worth a visit!
Experimenting with my running right now is possible because I'm not training for anything, so I can just see what feels good. The goal is to make sure I stay in the running habit. That's what my sit-ups and push-ups are...a habit.

@EugeneGreenie wrote:

Aint that the truth. You go girl! Finding the serenity in running is sometimes the greatest gift!

E Greenie<--football season already.....awwwwwww, you're kiddin' me.
Yes, you are right...if I don't find the serenity while running, I certainly always feel more at peace after my run. I've never finished a run and wished I had not done it.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:39 am

So, the test on my knee was to see how 10 miles felt after running Tues, Wed, Thur. And....well, I tweaked it somewhere around mile 4 and thought I was toast. But I REALLY wanted to run 10 miles on Saturday, so I kept on. My knee hollered at me from miles 4-7. Sometimes it yelled so loud I had to walk a few steps and contemplate pulling out my cell phone to call Jack to come and get me. Sometimes it didn't yell as loud so I ignored it. By mile 7, my knee realized that I wasn't going to listen to it, so it gave up and stopped complaining. I finished the final 3 miles in no pain. But honestly, I was worried that I should have listened to my knee and stopped my run earlier. But I didn't have any knee pain for the rest of the weekend, so my worry subsided.

I hopped on the elliptical yesterday morning for 30 minutes and did my sit ups and push ups.

I'll admit to being a bit concerned, though, about what would happen when I hit the treadmill this morning. But...no knee pain at all! Yay! I did a Fartlek-style run this morning, varying the paces from fast-ish to slow-ish every half mile. I did a fast finish to complete 5, then slowed down to a walk doing various reps with hand weights for another 5 minutes.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:23 am

Before work, I did my push ups, sit ups and various leg lifts for my hips/butt/thighs.
Then I hopped on the treadmill for an easy 3 miles. After 3 miles, I slowed the mill down to walking pace and grabbed hand weights and did various reps to work on biceps, triceps, shoulders as I walked.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:16 pm

We overslept this morning, so I didn't have time to do my usual 5 miles on the mill. I shortened it to 3, but made it more intense by setting the mill to a program that simulates a hilly run. The incline varied from 2.5% to 6.5%. I still felt like it was a good workout, even if it was shorter than planned.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 pm

So the knee is good then?????????
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:29 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:So the knee is good then?????????

Yeah, I think it is (knocking on wood as I type). I haven't had any issues with it since mile 4 on Saturday. All of my runs this week have been fine!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Still 1 mile is a lot closer than I am to the beach....just giving you a hard time!

Looking good and glad the knee was a non-issue. Core work is definitely a key part of running as I am finding out so far this year.
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:31 pm

@Joel H wrote:Still 1 mile is a lot closer than I am to the beach....just giving you a hard time!

Looking good and glad the knee was a non-issue. Core work is definitely a key part of running as I am finding out so far this year.

We'll be closing on that lot on the 17th...we are sooo excited!

Core work...yeah, I've been doing it for the past 3 years, so I'll keep it up as long as my core will allow!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Sit-ups, push-ups and elliptical this morning.
Not sure when I'll do my long run over the weekend....I might not have time for a long run, but maybe it'll just be a 5 or 6 mile run. We'll see

Yeah, yeah, I know...one MAKES time for a run if it's important. But sometimes, other things are MORE important.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm

I wouldn't worry about not going long or missing it. One run doesn't make or break training. Enjoy the weekend.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:16 pm

@KathyK wrote:
@Joel H wrote:Still 1 mile is a lot closer than I am to the beach....just giving you a hard time!

We'll be closing on that lot on the 17th...we are sooo excited!

Core work...yeah, I've been doing it for the past 3 years, so I'll keep it up as long as my core will allow!

Congrats on the closing and good luck....very exciting times for you.

I did core last night after about 1 week off and I could tell a difference. Amazing how that happens. Keep it up, it makes things easier in all areas of your life if you have a strong core.
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:14 am

Alex, Joel...thanks for stopping by!

As expected, I didn't get a long run in over the weekend. We were busy hosting family on Saturday and friends on Sunday. Unfortunately, the gatherings were all about birthdays and I ate too much evil food and drank one or two adult beverages. I felt sooo sluggish on Monday. And Tuesday. Felt a bit better Wednesday, and back to feeling good today.

Workouts this week:
Monday - sit-ups, push-ups, hand weight reps, 30 minutes on the elliptical
Tuesday - 5 miles on the mill before work, kept a comfortably hard pace for the entire run, then I walked a peppy 2 miles with Jack after work
Wednesday - strength and toning
Thursday - Fartlek-style 5 mile mill run before work.

I'll likely do an easy mill run tomorrow morning.

I have a race on Saturday morning. The Trooper Challenge Mud Run. I ran this event last year and ended up winning my age group...likely because it was a smallish race (~200), it was its inaugural event, and most women my age had the good sense to stay out of the mud and had no desire to face the other obstacles.

This year, though, the field is 500. Given this 5k course, I suspect it's gonna be packed, even with the wave start. I have no idea how it's gonna go for me. I guess it depends how many women over 50 show the same lack of judgement as me and show up. Wink
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:48 am

Good luck this weekend and enjoy the mud! As Lynn Jennings (great US XC champ and Olympic 10K medalist) once said, "Be one with the mud".
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:02 pm

We need post-race pix!Very Happy

Have fun!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Good luck this weekend and enjoy the mud! As Lynn Jennings (great US XC champ and Olympic 10K medalist) once said, "Be one with the mud".
"Be one with the mud!" Love it! That may be my mantra for the day!

@Michael Enright wrote:We need post-race pix!Very Happy

Have fun!
Last year's post race pic was a real winner... NOT. I expect this year's pic to be just as wonderful! But I'll post when I get it!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:28 am

Good luck with the race and most important, have fun.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Good luck with the race and most important, have fun.
Thanks Alex! I had a blast last year, and I'm looking forward to another fun time this year!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:23 am

There was a tragedy in our rural community almost 2 weeks ago. A young couple was on their way to the hospital, the woman was in labor with their first child. A terrible storm hit just as they got on the road. The car hydroplaned and smashed into a tree. The young woman (Megan) will killed. The young man (Casey) was taken to the hospital with face and back injuries. The baby boy (Will) was delivered at a different hospital, then transferred to the same hospital where Casey, his father was.

Although it wasn't announced to the media at the time, the medical team and the family knew that baby Will suffered blunt force trauma to his head, and he had been without oxygen for over 9 minutes. He was put on life support. Casey was well enough for surgery a few days after the accident, and was able to see his son a couple days later. On Sunday, our pastor announced that they would soon be taking Will off of life support, there was no brain activity and baby Will had never moved his arms or legs. Baby Will was pronounced dead on Tuesday, and his organs were donated.

Last night, we went to the visitation at the funeral home for Megan and her baby Will. My son, Chapin, knew Megan from high school, and he's known Casey since elementary school. My daughter knows Casey, and went to school with Casey's older brother. Megan's family belong to our church. I told Casey that Chapin asked that I make sure that he knows Chapin is praying for him (Chapin is still in Alabama). When Casey saw Emily, he stood up (plastic brace from his hips to his armpits) and hugged Emily. That sent me over the edge.

This is so way beyond sad. I know that God has a plan. I believe in His plan. But sometimes it doesn't make any sense to me. And I know that God understands that there are many people in our community questioning the plan right now. We just have to believe that He knows best...and His will be done. Who knows...maybe baby Will's organs have gone to a baby that will one day change the world...cure all cancers, or resolve world conflict. I don't know. I just know that the entire community is trying to come to grips with this.

Why am I writing this in my blog about running? Because my ramblings about my workouts just don't seem important right now. I spoke with Megan's uncle, Randy, last night. Megan spent a good deal of her time with Randy on his dairy farm. Randy said that he wasn't sure how they were going to manage to move forward. He said they'd just have to keep pushin'.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top