365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep Pushin'

+18
Schuey
Joel H
mul21
T Miller
John Kilpatrick
Alex Kubacki
Ken Mello
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
fostever
Dave Wolfe
Mark B
KathyK
22 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Keep Pushin'  - Page 4 Empty Re: Keep Pushin'

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 am

Kathy, are the quads starting to feel a little more normal now? Were you able to get out this weekend?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Alex, my quads are back to normal...it sure was weird that they were feeling ouchy after that run, though!

I ran 3 treadmill miles on Thursday evening. ~10:00 pace. I finished with the last half mile at 9:15ish. My knee felt pretty good.

After I ran, I finished cleaning the house, etc. to get ready for a weekend full of family. Jack's daughter, her hubby and our grandbabies arrived on Friday afternoon. Although I didn't get any official 'runs' in, there was plenty of running around with our grandchildren (ages 8 and 5). We had our Easter dinner on Saturday evening and were joined by my daughter and her boyfriend. We all had a grand time...but perhaps too much food and, um, drink.

As is our habit, when they all left on Sunday afternoon, Jack and I raced each other back into the house to take a nap. Sleep

I started my week off with a 30 minute elliptical session this morning before work. I expect to get runs in on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I'll keep the Tues./Thurs runs at just 3 miles and go maybe 5 or so on Saturday as I slowly build miles up again, keeping my fingers crossed that my knee continues to feel good.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Got some really good news from my sister today....
The chemo and radiation have shrunk the tumor so they believe they can do successful surgery!! She'll find out tomorrow when they will do the surgery.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:07 pm

KathyK wrote:Got some really good news from my sister today....
The chemo and radiation have shrunk the tumor so they believe they can do successful surgery!! She'll find out tomorrow when they will do the surgery.

Good progress on your running... but GREAT NEWS from your sister! I hope they can get the surgery done ASAP.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Fantastic news!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Mark B wrote:
KathyK wrote:Got some really good news from my sister today....

Good progress on your running... but GREAT NEWS from your sister! I hope they can get the surgery done ASAP.

mul21 wrote:Fantastic news!

Thanks Mark and Jim....Yes, the news from my sister is fantastic! I'm still waiting to hear when she'll have surgery. Then I'll make my plans to go to Atlanta to support her and her family during that time.
-------------------------------------------------

I did my normal strength/toning/rolling routine this morning. Knock on wood, I think my knee feels great! I'm planning to run just 3 miles tonight. It will likely be an indoor treadmill run because it's wicked windy and the pollen level is crazy. I've been struggling with allergies since last week, and I don't think running in the pollen-filled air will do me any good at all. Usually, I'm not affected by the pollen, but apparently this year I am. pale
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Awesome news about your sister and glad to see you back blogging. I missed reading your blogs. Good luck with the hubby, I hope you get good news soon.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Joel H wrote:Awesome news about your sister and glad to see you back blogging. I missed reading your blogs. Good luck with the hubby, I hope you get good news soon.
Hi Joel...good to see you! When are you going to blog again, hmmm?
-----------------------------------
I heard from my sister...her surgery is scheduled for May 1. So I'll be in Atlanta (Peachtree City, actually) from April 30 through ~May 6.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:40 pm

KathyK wrote:Hi Joel...good to see you! When are you going to blog again, hmmm?

I plan on blogging again once I figure out my schedule for the fall. I need to find a 10k to run before I finalize my plans.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:26 am

Great, Joel...I'll stay tuned. But you know, you don't have to have race plans finalized to blog. I have no race plans whatsoever...except for a couple of 5ks coming up.
-----------------------------------
Because of the high winds yesterday blowing all of the pollen around, I chose to run on the treadmill last night. I've been struggling with allergies for the past week, and didn't want to make matters worse by running outside. I planned on 3 miles to make sure I don't over tax my knee. But at the end of 3 easy miles at ~10:00, I realized I didn't want to stop. But I didn't want to push anything, either. So I did a slow mile alternating walking and a very slow jog. I had a total of 4 miles. I was aware of my knee, but it didn't hurt.

I got on the elliptical this morning for 30 minutes before work, still no knee pain. I was able to go up and down stairs at work today with no pain. Yay!

On tap for tomorrow: strength/toning/rolling routine before work, 3 miles outside after work.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 am

Sounds like good news all around, Kathy! Yes, been following along, both here and on Facebook. Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Good news about your sister and your knee. The offer still stands to meet up or whatever if I'm still here in the ATL when you come down for your sister.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 am

Great news Kathy, about your sister and your running. I hope you had a fabulous Easter with the grandkids! We had so much fun with E!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:59 am

Things are trendiing in the right direction - keep pushin'!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:11 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Sounds like good news all around, Kathy! Yes, been following along, both here and on Facebook. Smile
Yes, good news for sure. Prayers sent in thanks and fingers crossed that it continues!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Good news about your sister and your knee. The offer still stands to meet up or whatever if I'm still here in the ATL when you come down for your sister.
Thanks Michele...I may take you up on that. I'll be there from April 30 through May 6, and there may be a time when I need to give my sister and her family have some 'alone time' while I'm there.

Peg Coover wrote:Great news Kathy, about your sister and your running. I hope you had a fabulous Easter with the grandkids! We had so much fun with E!
Thanks Peg. Yes, we had a great time with our grandbabies...they are getting so grown up! Ayden, at 8, thought the Easter egg hunt we took him to at our church was going to be 'boring'. But it turned out he had a blast!

Michael Enright wrote:Things are trendiing in the right direction - keep pushin'!
Thanks Michael, I agree the trend is going in the right direction! And I will, indeed, keep pushin'!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:33 am

I thought I was going to run today after work outside, but I realized that I have a meeting at church this evening, so I had to shift my run to before work on the treadmill. I ran 3 miles at a 9:49 pace....picked it up to 9:15 for the last half mile. Then I walked for a few minutes to cool down.

My knee felt great while I was running. But when I got off the 'mill, it started to hurt. So I iced and took some Ibuprofen. It's still a little ouchy now. Phooey. I'm hoping it's just short term.

Instead of elliptical tomorrow morning, I'll do my morning strength/toning/rolling thing and give me knee a little break before Saturday's run. I'll do that one outside.

I wonder if running on the treadmill is causing the knee problem? It didn't' hurt last week or the week before when I ran outside on the road. Or maybe it's that I started adding the elliptical on my non-running days again? My daughter offered to lend me her zumba DVDs...maybe I should do that instead on my non-running days? So many questions.

I got a text from my son yesterday morning. "Mom, my knee hurts after my runs...got any suggestions? I'm getting ready for a PT test." (he's in the Army at Ft. Rucker) Like mother like son, I guess...

Speaking of my son...Ft. Rucker is only 3 hours from Atlanta. So he's going to drive up the weekend I'm at my sister's house. His 22nd birthday is that Friday, so I'll get to wish him a Happy Birthday in person...I haven't seen him since the beginning of January, so I'm excited about that!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 am

FWIW, treadmills always mess with my stride, and I think they did more to hinder my knee rehab than help it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:FWIW, treadmills always mess with my stride, and I think they did more to hinder my knee rehab than help it.
Hmmm...interesting. I'll do my best to keep my runs on the road and see if that makes me knee happier. My window of time to run this morning made it impossible to run on the roads...too dark with too much traffic. So...it was either the treadmill or nothing.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Road, treadmill, backyard....it doesn't matter where you run, so long as you are running and enjoying it! Sorry there is so much traffic at the times you want to run, I know outside is better than inside but at least you got it in.

Yes, I know I could start a blog without having a race in store but I am too anal to do that...it will be soon though. Wink
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 am

Kathy, if you're on a treadmill I would just watch your form as Mike says. Hopefully the issue is just a temporary thing.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:18 am

Joel H wrote:Road, treadmill, backyard....it doesn't matter where you run, so long as you are running and enjoying it! Sorry there is so much traffic at the times you want to run, I know outside is better than inside but at least you got it in.

Yes, I know I could start a blog without having a race in store but I am too anal to do that...it will be soon though. Wink
Yep, I certainly missed running when I had to take a break due to my angry knee. So I really enjoy it again. I'll stay tuned for the new Joel blog!

Alex Kubacki wrote:Kathy, if you're on a treadmill I would just watch your form as Mike says. Hopefully the issue is just a temporary thing.
I think you're right Alex, my form may be sloppy when I'm the mill. I caught myself several times having less then wonderful form when I was running on the mill Thursday morning. Thanks for the reminder.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:24 am

The meeting that I was supposed to have at church yesterday after work was canceled. So I did my morning strength/toning routine after work.

This morning before work, I did my strength/toning/rolling routine. After work, I'll do a bunch of yard work.

My knee is still a bit mad at me this morning. But not overly mad. I'm
still planning to run tomorrow morning. Very slowly...like a 10:45
pace for ~5 miles.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Well, I'll still be in Atlanta until the 1st week of June, but I do live on the opposite side of the city (north vs. south). However, Gobbles lives in Peachtree City Laughing Anyway, if you still need a break, the offer stands and maybe we can even get together down there for a break and run on the cool paths,

Cool about your son being able to come up from Ft Rucker.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 am

Were you able to get the run in and how was the knee?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Well, I'll still be in Atlanta until the 1st week of June, but I do live on the opposite side of the city (north vs. south). However, Gobbles lives in Peachtree City Laughing Anyway, if you still need a break, the offer stands and maybe we can even get together down there for a break and run on the cool paths,

Cool about your son being able to come up from Ft Rucker.
Hi Michele! Although it's been several years since I've been to Atlanta, I remember that the trek from one side of the city to the other is LONG!

Alex Kubacki wrote:Were you able to get the run in and how was the knee?
Yep, I got my run in, and my knee felt fine!
------------------------------------------------
Saturday morning, I did my longest run since taking a month off due to my angry knee. 5 whole miles! I planned to do it VERY slowly, like 10:45. But the morning was brisk and I was a bit faster than that. Splits were something like: 10:18, 10:20, 10:36, 10:14, 9:48. Overall, my pace averaged 10:19.
Mile 3 was all uphill. Not a steep hill, but it's long.

I used a knee strap on my run and was pleasantly surprised that my knee held up well. I iced after my run, and it felt fine the rest of the day.

For the past 2 years, I've been doing a 30 minute elliptical session every Mon/Wed/Friday. But I've decided to change it up a bit and try zumba for my cardio workout on those mornings for a while. My knee may be happier. If I can only run OR elliptical, I'd rather run. So, this morning was my first zumba workout...the 30 minutes when by quickly and I worked up a great sweat...so apparently, it did it's job! But I was thankful that there was nobody around to witness these 52-year-old hips shaking to the zumba beat Razz
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum