365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you Race too much before Goal Marathon?

4 posters

Go down

Can you Race too much before Goal Marathon? Empty Can you Race too much before Goal Marathon?

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 pm

In my previous cycles (I've had three) I've done one shorter race all out along with a training marathon (not racing just LSD+ for time on feet).

This cycle I've already got this planned:

12 weeks out - 30K not all out but around MP with some below if possible. 2,200FT elevation change.

10 weeks out - solo training marathon at LSD+. No actual race just running the distance for time on feet. This will be mostly flat.

8 weeks out - 15K all out. Rolling hills.

4 weeks out - Half all out. Mostly flat. Not 100% definite planned yet.

For me this is a lot more than what I've usually done and don't want to end up flat for the goal marathon. Based on that is this either: 1. Too big of a jump in races from previous, 2. Just too many races period, 3. It's ok.

Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Can you Race too much before Goal Marathon? Empty Re: Can you Race too much before Goal Marathon?

Post  Admin Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Not likely something I'd do, but if I did I'd probably do it in a different order. The closer to the goal marathon, the more specific the training. So, I'd probably do the 15k, then the half marathon, then the 'training marathon' at LSD pace, then the 30k at/near GMP.

If you want to do it, do it. Just be prepared to back off if it's too much.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Can you Race too much before Goal Marathon? Empty Re: Can you Race too much before Goal Marathon?

Post  Ben Z Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:32 pm

3. It's OK...

...as long as you don't try to do too many other hard workouts. I still don't see how you will be able to do a 30k at goal race pace 12 weeks out though (and that was before I knew about that ridiculous elevation change). Seriously, if I could run 30k at goal pace I would line up for a marathon four weeks later. I would know I'm ready.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:51 pm

3. It's ok. I race before a goal marathon during most of my training cycles. The only type of race that has done me in is running a marathon before a goal marathon. I think you have enough recovery time built in, so no worries, just make sure you do recover as that has been my problem in the past.

I once ran a hilly marathon at an easy pace, followed by a half at MP, followed by my goal marathon all within 6 wks. The weather on the goal marathon day was less than stellar even though it was December at 55F and 90% humidity. I packed in running hard at half way and just finished easy. Be prepared to adjust is all I'm saying.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down