365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Charles Keeps Going

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Signed up for the IT 100 today!

Post  charles.moman on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:31 pm

They had a contest to give away two free entries for the Indiana Trail 100, but alas and alack - I did not prevail.
So I signed up tonight - the price goes up after October 20.
I signed up for the 100 and I plan on being ready.
I will do a 50-mile training run 5-6 weeks before the event and we will see how that goes.
Even well trained, I know that if I complete the whole 100, that there will be significant all-hiking times during the last laps. For these long events, that is quite common for mid-to-back-of-the-pack folks like me.
And that is quite acceptable in the ultra running world.

On my 50K on Saturday - the Turtle Turbo 50K, I expect to do some power hiking in the hills of Morgan-Monroe.
I will be bringing along my new Black Diamond trekking poles to help on the hills.
I have been using them lately on my run/hikes and I am getting pretty good at using them without killing myself.

charles.moman
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Charles Keeps Going

Post  Dave P on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Cool hiking poles.
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:54 am

And I am glad I had the trekking poles yesterday.
I participated in the Turbo Turtle 50 Fatass event.

Short report - I did a 25K - got lost and confused - cold downpour - ankle is still not well. The End.

This seriously is TOO long, but I am decompressing and will feel better for doing this.
I would suggest skipping the remainder of this!

That term means a free event - little or no amenities - little or no trail marking - no support.
And that is what it was - a list describing the course was on the web site, but no papers at the race.
I made a card with abbreviated descriptions to hang from my hydration vest.
We had to be totally self-supported.

There were maybe 18 of us and we had a very brief meeting and were off at 8:30.
I knew I would be last, so that is where I lined up.
Down we went a short trail and then onto a gravel road for several miles.
Within a couple of minutes I was totally alone.

I got to a split and there was no marking and I went the wrong way for over half a mile - realized something was wrong and headed back. I then kept going, but I had a nagging feeling I was still wrong.
I finally got a signal and called the RD - he said I had made a mistake but was OK now.
I kept going and then another split and I took the Tecumseh Trail route because I knew we would be on it for a while.

My next mistake was I misunderstood how far it was to the turnaround - read it wrong - which means I was stupid.
I thought it was 4.5 miles out, then right back almost to the start and then off Low Gap trail to complete 21 miles - stop at your car and then go out for the last 10 miles.

By now I am wondering where the fast runners are - they should be passing me, but no one.
So I assumed I was wrong again and headed back - then turned around - just stopped.
I talked to some hikers and got more confused and very frustrated. I passed them and then came back.
I finally talked to the RD again and he said I was right and the turn around was 7.4 miles out and before too long I would see then returning runners and I did and got to share my mistakes with them. I multiple opportunities to feel even more stupid. Most of these runners trains on these trails - so the minimal instructions were fine and dandy for them. But not me - and Wendy and Tim could probably attest - that you don't want to get lost in that large forest.

Then the TORRENTIAL and COLD RAIN began.
So . . . I have lost miles and over an hour of time and now I am soaked and cold and STILL have miles to go before the turnaround. ANd the trail is getting very slick and mushy and I am careful about rolling my ankle. So I stop running and hike as carefully as possible.
At least I had my COOL FREAKING NEW TREKKING poles.
Without them I would have been slower and less safe than ever.
Made it to the turn around and before long I have passed my planned time to finish the first 21 miles - stop at y car and head out for the final 10. Now my ankle is hurting and I am having a delightful time.

The rain did stop and now and then the sun came out and it was glorious and God told me to shut up and enjoy His creation and I pretty much did - most of the time.

Skipped the Low Gap loop to the cars and went straight back to my car and it was an 16.69 miles.
A little more than a 25K and definitely more than a HM.
Some steep parts. but really not too bad.
I have MUCH steeper climbs at the nearby Jackson-Washington Forestry.
The Black Diamonds poles were a lifesaver on the way back.

Summary
Are you still reading this? Question

1. Looking back - it was not that hard of a trail route to follow - but that is with hindsight and not in the moment of confusion to a novice on the trail who is unsure and insecure to start off with. Oh and who is ALONE and EVERYONE is miles away.

2. I had a great trail training session - I am a little sore today which means I was stressed.
I am much better with my trekking poles and I really like them - super light and not in the way.
I do not fold them in 3 sections - 2 is enough while out there on the trail.

3. I did almost the same mileage at the Indiana Trail site last week and that trail is so much easier - much.
That is a confidence booster as I train for next April - I signed up for the 100, but realistically I will probably just do the 50. We will see.

4. I spent 6 hours in some beautiful woods with stunning leaves and crazy cold rain and some very nice mud.
Who could ask for more?

5. I am blessed to be able to give it a try and keep in good shape. My 61 year old friends sat on a couch yesterday.
And my wife thinks I am hot because I am in shape - there are perks. Razz

6. NEVER EVER sign up again for an event like this, unless I know it is an easy route that an idiot can follow.

The. End.

Really.

I. Mean. It.

charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:31 am

Nice report Charles. I can certainly sympathize with your attitude on this race. It is not fun being out there in the rain without knowing if you are on the correct trail. It really helps if you've run the trail a number of times and can visualize the route in your head. Regardless, you got to spend 6 hours out there exploring and building yourself for future events. It is remarkable that you've come to running and participation in events like this. Keep up the great work.
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:07 am

Hey there, Charles. I went to the website for that and noted how the low participation would probably put me in the back as well. Had a similar problem with a Double Chubb sponsored by the SLUG (St Louis Ultramarthon group) where most of the participants trained on the trails where I had not so the lack of markings made it tougher and more frustrating than it needed to be.

Sounds like overall you made the best of it and really there seemed to be some good spots there. Another one in the books!
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:28 pm

I'll second what you say about those woods, Charles. It'd be ridiculously easy to get turned around in there, and really, really hard to get reoriented. I'm glad you had cell phone service enough to reach the RD. Next time, toss a topo map and a compass in your pack. It might save you some grief.

That said, great job on making it back out again! I'd never considered trekking poles, but I can see how they'd be a huge help on that trail - especially when it's wet and slippery and at a weird side angle. Thanks for the review!

And your wife is a queen

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Well at least I had no worry about getting totally lost.
The GPS service was great on my iPhone, so I knew where I was - just not where I was going. Never off an actual trail.
Not all who wander are lost you know! Razz
And I had my Garmin 305 and it could get me back where I started.

I have bought several navigation apps, but I really like Every Trail Pro and I use it the first time I go out on a trail.
When I am done I can upload the event to Every Trail and other users can grab it for their use.
Some are already getting it to use on the IT 100.
You also can take photos or video within the app and they are placed exactly where they were taken.
A free version and Pro for $3.99.
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Two minute summary of Turtle Turbo

Post  charles.moman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:12 pm

Your life will be quite complete without watching yet ANOTHER video by me.
You really need a new hobby - so go find it and skip this video!
Now!

charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Knobstone Trail Half Marathon

Post  charles.moman on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:01 pm

I am back home from the Knobstone Trail Half Marathon. It was cold and felt great, but I warmed up pretty quickly. I finished it in 3:27 and it was a REAL workout. A lot more hills than last week and I am more tired from these 13 miles, than last week's 17 in the same area. Rolled the ankle again (not pretty, fell down and thought I would not be able to continue for about 30 seconds) - at mile 9 - and I pretty much walked/power hiked the rest of the way - but not too slowly. Without that incident, I would have been closer to 3 hours.

Next week at the Monumental Half, I plan on taping the ankle and it should be fine. Dot, Mary Beth (a teacher friend) and I are are shooting for a 2:30 at that half. I think that should not be a problem. There will be NO comparison next week to these 13 miles on the trails today and flat Indy streets. I am glad I brought the trekking poles - especially after the ankle event. AND I did not get my beloved DFL, but I was close. In the last mile I stopped to take some photos and videos and got passed by 3 guys. I would have easily finished before them if I had not stopped. Big whoop. A beautiful day and a nice tech shirt too. AND well marked!

charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:35 pm

Nice video -- very pretty, and boy, did it bring back memories -- and nice job on the half. Too bad about the ankle roll, though. Those can be so aggravating. And painful. Neutral
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:49 pm

The ankle was very unhappy this morning when I got up. Sad
But as they day progresses, I am able to walk fairly normally.
Fortunately it is not swollen or bruised, so it is not a level 2 or 3 sprain.

I will take it easy and just walk for a day or two or more.
I emailed my chiropractor who does Kenesio taping - she will tape it for me on Thursday.
I would not do a trail event next weekend, even if it felt OK.
But I hopefully will be able to get through 13.1 on flat streets at a nice, easy pace of 11:27 or so.

Seriously considering deferring the Tecumseh Trail marathon in December - I can do that up to a week before the event.
Also looking for a deal on a pair of fastpacking trail shoes that are like trail runners on the bottom, but medium cut like hiking boots to use when power hiking in training. Some use them in trail events and I might too just to help with avoiding ankle rolls. Seriously, I am more of a jogger/hiker in these trail events - so it might not be a bad way to go.

I will also work on ankle exercises to get it built back up.
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Got some Kenesio taping at my chiro today and I plan on giving the Indy Monumental Half a serious effort.
I am sure it will be sore at the end of 13.1, but I can make it.
Then I will rehab like crazy and slowly get into my schedule for my spring ultra in northern Indiana.

charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Monumental Half Report

Post  charles.moman on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 am

Well, the Indy Monumental Half yesterday was my first road event in a year!
Last year I did my first full marathon there and since then I have run almost 100% on dirt roads and trails.
I have to say I sure felt the difference as the race moved along, mile by mile.
My left ankle held up very well and never hurt or rolled - the taping and rest all week did the trick.
I know it is not 100% yet, but it is much better. A tendon on top of my foot still gets a bit ouchy.

After about 5 miles, my right knee began to bother me a bit and I am sure it was because of the harder surface.
After the race I REALLY knew that I had not run on dirt - very sore for a while.
In the past year I have run many many times at 12 - 22 miles or more, nearly every week, and never really got sore. During the night I felt it too, but now that I am up, I am better.

I ran with my dear friend, Mary Beth. She teaches in Bloomington and we know each other through our Lilly Fellowships connection. We also have been in a Lilly Writers group for many years. This was her first big running event since recovering from cancer a couple of years ago - and then a broken foot last year on top of that. She did a 5k last spring. Mary Beth has been a runner for many years, but the cancer stopped that for a while. She did run some during chemo treatments.

I asked to run with her a couple of months ago, but she declined - thought it would be too much pressure. Then she read on FB that Dot and I were running it together with a goal of 2:30 or so. She got back with me and asked to join us. Dot and I could never find each other at the start, so Mary Beth and I ran it - step by step - together.

For 2/3rds of the race I did not do my typical run/walk method. She wanted to keep moving and I was OK with that. She did walk through water stops and when she ate a gel. The first few miles zipped along for us - 10 something mpm up to near 12 ( that would be death crawling for Tim and Wendy!). Then we stayed in the 11 minute mile range. I told Mary Beth at the start that my goal was to do what SHE wanted today - that it was HER race. So as we ran, now and then, I would ask if she was happy with our current pace and if she wanted to slow down or speed up. I gave her occasional average pace times reports.

At one point she was slowing down and I gradually pulled her a bit faster. She noticed and asked what our pace had been - it had dropped to the upper 12's. I was trying to keep her near her goal of 11:30 or so miles. Then she asked about my run/walk system and wanted to try it. So I reset my timer to 3 minute run/1 minute walk and off we went. She loved it and really needed it - I could tell she was getting worn out. The run/walk helped me get near her goal of 2:30 (we ended up at 2:37:21) and she was thrilled with it as the video clip shows. I told her though that the timer was going off at mile 12 and we were running it straight in and we did. We both got choked up after the finish. It was just very gratifying being a part of her comeback run. For me, she did the walk phase too slow - I usually crank out some pretty fast walking. But she did what she needed to do and that was perfectly fine.

Sometime we talked a lot and other times were just quiet - side by side running with a dear friend. I have never run a total race with anyone before. I also have never run that far without doing my run/walk and I did fine. I could have easily run it all without walking and that surprised me some. At one point she discarded a cancer survivor T-shirt and said that she thought it was good to get rid of that one. Neat moment.

I plan on running with her again, but I hope it is on a trail instead of the road. She has done trail running too in the past, including "Run with the Foxes" in Morgan-Monroe that I did last summer. So I am sure we can find a trail event to do together.

The Tecumseh Trail Marathon looms ahead now and I have to decide whether to run it or defer until next year.
Sorry to bring up that memory Mark! Sad
I want to do it and hopefully my ankle will be all ready.

Kellie, Mary Beth and I at the finish. Kellie is another Lilly writer friend who was in charge of course entertainment. She taught in Indiana, but now lives in D.C. She was taking photos of us as we came in - she knew about what time we expected to arrive. Another very fun moment.

charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:09 am

Glad that I had at least found you out on the course! You two were looking very consistent and strong. I would bet that you're a bit more sore than you normally would be on an all asphalt course. Some of what we were running on was concrete and that's the worst! Good job! (p.s. Loved the neon!)
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 am

Loved your blue! Smile
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Congrats Charles to you and your running buddies - nicely done.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:34 am

Day 1 of my 6 month training schedule for the Indiana Trail 100. I am using a plan from Bryon Powell's Relentless Forward Progress. Most of the weekly runs for a while are short (5-6 miles). Then on the weekend, they are like 12 miles followed the next day by 8. Then each week they slowly ramp up until I do a 50-miler (on the actual course at Chain 'O Lakes State Park) about 5-6 weeks out from the race day. Depending on how that goes, that will determine if a 100 attempt is honestly feasible.

I would like to do 100, but I will be happy with 50 if that is all I am capable of doing right now. Sometimes my expectations exceed my level of ability! Embarassed
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:09 pm

I'm always rooting for you, Charles! It's unreal for me to think of doing a 50 mile TRAINING run!!! Shocked
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Sounds like a good race experience, Charles! Very nice

Don't worry about Tecumseh references. The race itself was challenging but beautiful and sorta fun... and, at the very least, far less traumatic than the consequences of the pre-race dinner!

I still have a hard time eating pasta. affraid

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:58 am

I officially dropped out of the Tecumseh Trail Marathon on December 1.
I just think it is too risky at this point.
The Indiana Trail 100 route is nothing like the TTM, so it would not serve as training run of similar terrain.
I am running/hiking on more difficult trails than the Trail 100, but they are nearby and free! Laughing

Maybe in 2013 I will return to Tecumseh and finish it - I may do it on my own before then, but after April 2013.
I am upping my power walking speed, but got a small blister because I did not wear my normal running socks.
Not smart. So I am taking a day off training and then I can get going again.
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 am

As you know, if you read my stuff - I am not a slave to running-only running.
I do run/walk nearly all of the time and it works for me.
At the Indy Monumental, however, I did not do run/walk with my friend until the last few miles.

http://www.coachdino.org/runwalk.htm

Here is a calculator that allows you to enter the distance, run and walk minute ratio, walking speed and goal time. I have used it for marathons and half marathon, but thought I would try it for a 100-miler. All assume a 15-minute walking pace and a 30-hour finish. It does not allow for fade or anything like that. Just straight numbers from the first mile to last. Interesting.

1 minute run/1 minute walk • 22:30 minute run/15 minute walk
3 minute run/1 minute walk • 19:19 minute run/15 minute walk
5 minute run/2 minute walk • 19:33 minute run/15 minute walk
5 minute run/5 minute walk • 22:30 minute run/5 minute walk
10 minute run/1 minute walk • 18:32 minute run/15 minute walk
15 minute run/1 minute walk • 18:14 minute run/15 minute walk

I plan on running and walking the first 50 and probably power walking most of the final 50. However I won't know what that day will deliver until I am in the midst of it. I will do my best to be as prepared as possible.
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:27 am

@charles.moman wrote:I officially dropped out of the Tecumseh Trail Marathon on December 1.

Sorry to hear that you won't be at Tecumseh this year although it is probably a wise decision. I wish you the best with your training for the trail 100.
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:37 am

I see what you mean about Tecumseh maybe not being the best lead-up to your 100-miler training. There will be other years to challenge yourself against that terrain.

Speaking of terrain, your comment earlier about the Big T inspired me to go climb a mountain on Monday. I power hiked up - blowing through my HR target even then - and then ran the ridge and back down again. It was fun, but my quads are still feeling it! Smile
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah, I REALLY wanted to do the Tecumseh. After my recent runs in Morgan-Monroe, I do like the trails - a lot of runnable and some climbs. I may actually go over there now and then for the fun of it, but being careful.

And my above thoughts about the IT 100 should always have the disclaimer:
"My expectations often exceed my level of ability!
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Yes, another video - I cannot help myself

Post  charles.moman on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 pm

A short 5-minute video of the 1.5 mile trail route I do a lot at the Muscatatuck NWR.
It has a lot of terrain that is similar to the Indiana Trail 100 route.
It would be better if there were a few more "rises" with a little more elevation, but it will suffice.
For more hills I head 13 miles away to a forestry with some tough trails to give me a better set of hill workouts.
It is a short loop, but I don't go crazy repeating it. It would be nice if it was longer, but it is so convenient for me.
Sometimes at the 1-mile point, I go out on the refuge road - go .25 miles and get on another .9 mile trail.

charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top