365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charles Keeps Going

+7
fostever
dot520
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
KathyK
John Kilpatrick
charles.moman
11 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 4 Empty Re: Charles Keeps Going

Post  charles.moman Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:04 pm

The predictions are from 82 - 95 for the race! I will take it easy for sure. I am so glad I will be in the shade and that I ran in the heat this summer. I am sure some will drop after one 25 mile loop because they are not used to the heat. It will be tough. I made me a small card with projected times for each five miles to just give me a general idea if how I am doing. Ready or not . . .
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Wow. Toasty. Good thing this was such a hellish summer in the Midwest! You're as prepped as you could be.

Heck, training those conditions, you're prepped for Badwater.

Go get 'em, Charles!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 4 Empty Short video and short race report

Post  charles.moman Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:51 pm

I successfully ran the North Country trail marathon on Saturday, instead of the planned 50-miler. There were many in the ultra group - all much younger than me- who opted to only do one loop. It was a record hot day. I think by noon it was 93 or 94. Until about mile 16, I was doing very well and on my way to a first loop time of 6 hours or less. Out of the blue, my heart rate went through the roof and I could not get it down without almost stopping. The heat was just killing many of us and I got a little dehydrated. I had a very rough death march for a few miles. I sat at an aid station, ate watermelon and took off. Within a minute I instantly felt great and started back on my plan. But after a while I realized that I would not make it back to the start for my second loop in time to realistically finish within the time limit. If it had been cooler I am confident I would have finished the whole 50 miles. I only had one really bad fall. I will do another report with lessons learned - probably not interesting to many of you. but . . . .

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Good report and a wise choice on cutting it off at one loop. I've had my HR go crazy on me in heat once, and it's extremely unsettling.

That medal is amazing, btw. It looks like you'd need both hands to hold it! Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 4 Empty Lessons learned

Post  charles.moman Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:06 am

1. NEVER sign up for an ultra in August again - just too risky for me.
Ok, maybe "Howl at the Moon", but that is a different kind of event.

2. Do NOT skip any sips of water.
ALL summer long I wore my Nathan and took a sip every 4 - 5 minutes whenever my timer went off for my timed run/walk breaks. I NEVER got dehydrated this summer in training runs.

3. Do not be an idiot and skip rule 2.

4. Seriously - do not skip rule 2 or you will pay - guaranteed.

4. In a trail run, using a 3.5 mile run/1 minute walk method is not always practical to stick to.
God did not line up the hills and runnable sections to fit MY time schedule and level of fitness. I did more power walking to conserve energy for the 2nd loop and IGNORED my timer going off. Well . . . I heard it, but thought "Well, you are not sticking to that scheme, so ignore it). I forgot about the sips of water I needed to continue to do every few minutes and therein lies my running sin and stupidity. Now and then I would catch the mistake and drink more, but I was SO proud of my progress and just did not keep up. An elite runner went past me and commented about how well I was power walking. It was not just the typical "good job" comment - he slowed down and turned around and said "you are doing very well at power walking - great speed". Well, we all know pride goes before . . . .

5. Do even more power walking in training - especially uphill!

I thought maybe I had practiced power walking too much, but I did not. My butt is a bit sore from walking the uphills, but it is not too bad. If I had not added in power walking this summer, I would be unable to walk right now. I also may practice on hills with trekking poles for possible use at the end of very long miles. Power walking practice sessions are essential for me to be successful.

6. Trust your training, assuming you really did it well - which I did.

7. Feeding off the strength of others on the trail is good and bad.
I did not do what I did at the Monumental Marathon where I was too fast for the first few miles. I stayed at the back and took it easy at my turtle pace. I did not care what others were doing. As the day went along, now and then I hung behind some others. There were two gals I stayed with for a few miles. Actually I could power walk and stay with their running speed most of the time. When I ran, I left them behind - eventually they passed me while I was doing dead man walking for a few miles. I almost hung with another fellow - the discussion was fun - but I knew better because he was going about a minute a mile faster than me. SO I did just fine with this critical rule.

8. Do all you can to stay way from the big back hole of negativism.
The only time I was ready to quit this running thing forever and maybe even walking ever again was during a mile of the suffer - idiot - fest. It was just awful. But, I kept moving and even better - NO ONE was near me for the worst part. It would not have been pretty if someone would have wanted to talk to me.

9. Stay tough - know it will hurt at times - but don't be fool. Know when to save it for another day
This one can be a fine line - don't use this rule as an easy "escape clause" in order to bail. I SO wanted to finish and go out for the 2nd loop, but it just was not practical - I simply did not have enough time to finish. It was still 92 3 hours after I stopped. I know in my heart that if it had been in the 70's I would have made that trail my . . . (I can't say that because my preacher's wife Mom would not approve - even though she has been gone 2 years now) : )

10. Remember that no one is making you do this - do it right - do your best because that is all you can do.
Oh . . . remember to have fun. Some friends you went to school with are already dead because they did not even walk a block once a month. Enjoy it all - even when it is not "fun" because you ALWAYS are glad later when you do that run or event. And be thankful to God each and every day for gift of life and the ability to do what I am doing.

The End - and remember rule 2.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:42 am

Congrats on the marathon finish. You did the right thing. My school mate from Ohio is an accomplished ultra runner and it took her over 10 hours. She won her age group (50-54) Those kind of temps are dangerous. That course is brutal! I ran the 26.2 in 2010 getting lost following a host of other runners near the end. The trail was poorly marked which the race director promised to correct the next year. Did have a good time with the food and the photo finish ultra that year. It's on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0k7l-u45bA
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:36 am

Congrats Charles on completing another trail marathon! Wise choice to call it a day when you did...there will be another day.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Fantastic, Charles! Love the video and the lessons learned. Sometimes you can get away with doing 9 out of 10, but then other times, one slip up or one slightly 'off' thing makes a mess out of the event. That medal is HUGE!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Well . . . it has been 3 weeks since my 50-mile attempt.
The first week after Michigan, I did zero running - nada.
I actually felt ok, but I knew better. I think I could have easily gotten an injury.
Last week I did 16 miles, which included some power hiking in the woods.
This week I was up to 25 miles, mainly running, but some power hiking.
I also rolled my left ankle again and it dropped me to the ground.
I walked it off and was ok.

Today I did a 10-miler and it was the fastest I have done in a long time.
It was in the high 40's when I started and I was using my new Hokas.
I really really like them and I am surprised that the low, 4mm heel drop has not bothered me.
My left ankle is a little tender, but coming along.
I plan on soon getting up to 30 - 40 miles a week in preparation for my 100 mile training plan that will start in early November. I think I will do the Knobstone Trail Mini at the end of October - very similar trails to the Tecumseh.

I also have signed up for the Tecumseh Trail Marathon the first Saturday of December - unfinished business there.
Within a few weeks I will head up north and try out the course for the Indiana Trail 100.
I am very hopeful that it is as "easy" as they tell me. I will do as many training runs as I can fit in before April.
I want NO surprises at that event! Embarassed
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Took most of the week off to rest my sore ankle.
I ran 4 easy miles yesterday and did 8.8 miles today.
I am continuing to push my pace so my standard pace will be faster at trail events.
The first five miles today were 1.5 minutes per mile faster than normal and the last 3.8 I relaxed a bit.
Tomorrow I plan on going to Starve Hollow and run/power hike the trails there for a few hours.

My ankle does not hurt, but it does not feel 100% normal - possibly just mental.
Despite only doing 18 miles of last week's trail marathon, I was very encouraged.
At the end of those 18 miles I felt great - not beat up at all - just a sore ankle.
I am planning on 3 trail half marathons soon.

On October 20, I am doing a fatass event called the "Turbo Turtle" at Morgan-Monroe Forest.
It actually is a 50K, but I am probably going to do a "little" more than a half - 2 - 10 mile loops as training runs.
It will probably have 10-20 people running.

The following Saturday, 10/27, I am doing the Knobstone Trail Mini that is in the same area with a lot more folks.
I did the "Run with the Foxes HM" in that area back in June - as yes, I finished it - and I was DFL too!

Then on 11/03, I am doing a HM at the OPFS trail run which includes a 50 mile and 50K option too.
I might go for the 50K if I feel like my ankle will agree.

Then on 12/1 I will be back at the Tecumseh Trail Marathon to complete it this time!

In November I will begin my training schedule from Byron Powell's Relentless Forward Progress for my 100 or 50 mile run at the new Indiana Trail 100. As I have said before, I will sign up for the 100, but time will tell if I am really ready for it by April. In a couple of weeks I plan on going to that park to check out the trail for myself.

I also got my first smartphone - an iPhone 5 - and I love it!
It will be great to get decent photos and videos while out there.
It will also be handy for trail running with some of the GPS apps I got.

Charles Keeps Going - Page 4 Cabin10
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:11 pm

You've got a lot of activities planned which sound like really good training events for you. Where is the Indiana 100 trail event? I need to look that one up. Have you done Huntington already (I believe they have a different name for it now), usually in December?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 pm

http://indianatrail100.com/

There is the Huff 50k that is held at the same park - different route though that avoids the water.
http://www.veepraces.com/?races=huff-50k
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Huff, yes, that's the one I was thinking of. Prior years has snow or slush. I'll check out the Indiana Trail 100, not for me though.

Have you been up there to check out the loop? I'd be interested in that and might pace you around it at some point this winter for a diversion. I see on their website that they have unofficial training runs.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:06 pm

I am hoping to go up there on October 13 and run/walk the route with one of the runners up there who has offered to show me. They say some rolling hills - that terms has very different meaning to each runner!
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 pm

I thought that the Huff now had a water crossing? The old course was awesome and not too difficult. I've thought about going back since I am now back in Ohio to run the 50K, but not if it is the harder new course.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Check out this video from last year's Huff! I would not want to do this in frigid weather.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:14 am

Running around 30 miles a week or so before I start training for my spring event - the inaugural Indiana Trail 100/50. http://indianatrail100.com/
Now I rarely even run the roads at the Muscatatuck Wildlife Refuge - almost all trails now.

On Friday, Susie and I drove to Albion, IN and stayed at the Brick Ark B & B. Nice place and food.
On Saturday morning, Don Lindley picked me up and took me to the nearby Chain 'O Lakes State Park - site of the IT 100. He brought along a friend, Chad Ware and we walked the 16.67 mile route. I mean literally walked, with a very little jogging down some small downhills. Don had a sore foot and he wanted to just walk and that was fine with me. I wanted to take photos anyway. So we took 5 hours to walk the route and just took it quite easy doing that.

Don Lindley is one of the directors of the event and has put in a zillion hours working on the existing trails, as well as bushwacking out new ones for the event. He and others are working on little stumps, thorn bushes and everything else to make it a great course. They hope to make the loop closer to 20 miles in length in the future. They are also offering a $25,000 prize to the male or female or both, who can break the American record for 100 miles. I believe the record right now was set at Rocky Raccoon.

The route is very nice with mainly wide trails, some small rises, a few hills that are short and overall just a nice place to run through the woods. I think it will be a great place to do 50 or 100 miles. I put together a little video about the route. I think this would be a great place to try for these distances. Three or six loops with time limits of 15 and 30 hours. Several places cross roads, so people could meet you now and then if they wanted to. The race is April 20 & 21 and I hope it is dry and really cool.

http://indianatrail100.com/
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks for the video Charles. I'm planning to do the 50 and my buddy Scott is, I think, going to go for the record in the 100.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 am

I can just see Scott killing it and winning it, plus you doing great as well.
It is a great route and you two will be flying around those loops - I mean you can go with reckless abandon nearly all of the time.

Well . . . not turtle Charles, but I enjoy the slow motion journey! Smile
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Charles Keeps Going - Page 4 Empty Running in the fall is wonderful! Short video -1 minute.

Post  charles.moman Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 pm

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:55 am

My wife has trouble with one of her knees and mainly hikes and walks. Yesterday she was jogging a bit on a trail at the refuge. I decided to make an action movie trailer of Susie in action!

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 am

Go Susie! That's awesome, thanks for the video Charles.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:34 am

Cool video of Susie.

I assume that is the same Chain O Lakes park where the Huff runs? and without the water crossing? Don't think I'll be able to run the Huff this year, but I still want to do the 50K again.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:41 am

Great videos, Charles! That's a pretty place, and Susie looks ready to rock! Very Happy

Looking at the course, I can see what the RD means by a X-C feel. I've never run on long sections of grass before. It seems like an extra challenge. Is it?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Sometimes I don't like grassy sections because you never know what is "hiding" in there.
But the grassy sections there were not so bad and not tall.
Don and other IT 100 crew members go out on the course and cut the grass, as well as trim on the sides.
I am quite sure that they will have it all well trimmed for the race in April.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next