365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Friday Thread - March Madness Edition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Friday Thread - March Madness Edition

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Well, it's 2:00 pm on the east coast, and no Friday Thread, so here goes nuthin', and apologies to anyone who had volunteered to take a "turn" today:

1. Who is/was your pick to win the tourney this year? If no interest in that or any idea who is even playing, please share with us a prognostication of your choice about whatever you please.

2. What is it about March that makes you Mad?

3. Are you a fan of Mad Men? If so, let us know who your favorite character is and why, and if not, please tell us what tv show you are mad about.

4. Is there anything about the marketing of running shoes or other gear that makes you mad? What might that be?

5. If you get injured and can't run, is your reaction:

A. To get mad

B. To get depressed

C. To be happy that you have more time to watch tv

D. Other

6. Have you ever been really mad at a race director, or a volunteer, or a spectator - and if so, why?

7. What do you do when you get really angry - do you yell, punch the wall, get even, brood, run an ultra...?

8. Did you ever read Mad magazine? If so, which spy in "Spy v. Spy" did you root for? If not, you're probably a lot younger than me and in that case please share with us what your favorite publication or website is for humor.

9. It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow - MADD asks that you don't drink and drive - which will you be - the designated driver or the drunk in the passenger seat?

10. Back to the NCAA tournament - favorite moment in tournament history? If none, your favorite moment in sport's history?
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Friday Thread - March Madness Edition

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks Michael

1. Who is/was your pick to win the tourney this year? If no interest in that or any idea who is even playing, please share with us a prognostication of your choice about whatever you please. UNC - just like Chapel Hill that's all and anyone who can routinely beat Duke.

2. What is it about March that makes you Mad? Currently, the stinking weather.

3. Are you a fan of Mad Men? If so, let us know who your favorite character is and why, and if not, please tell us what tv show you are mad about. Never watched it.

4. Is there anything about the marketing of running shoes or other gear that makes you mad? What might that be? The whole emphasis on the zero drop, minimalist thing. Of course, a new fad will take over soon.

A. To get mad

B. To get depressed

D. Other

6. Have you ever been really mad at a race director, or a volunteer, or a spectator - and if so, why? Yes at the RD of the first Georgia Marathon. There was no sports drink, the temps were in the low 80s, and she never really apologized.

7. What do you do when you get really angry - do you yell, punch the wall, get even, brood, run an ultra...? typically brood

8. Did you ever read Mad magazine? If so, which spy in "Spy v. Spy" did you root for? If not, you're probably a lot younger than me and in that case please share with us what your favorite publication or website is for humor. I remember reading Mad magazine and the Spy v. Spy, but don't remember a favorite. Always thought of Mad magazine as a guy thing. As for Madlibs, now those were fun.

9. It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow - MADD asks that you don't drink and drive - which will you be - the designated driver or the drunk in the passenger seat? Neither. I'm only Irish in married last name, my daughter has a high school dance, and I have a half marathon on Sunday morning at 7 am - I'll be home and sober.

10. Back to the NCAA tournament - favorite moment in tournament history? If none, your favorite moment in sport's history? That last second buzzer beating game (I think it was Indiana???) back in the mid-1980s that got me interested in college basketball. At the time I still lived in the Boston area and even BC didn't have much of a team then. No one else is even Division 1.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:48 pm

1. Who is/was your pick to win the tourney this year? If no interest in that or any idea who is even playing, please share with us a prognostication of your choice about whatever you please.
I never cared that much for college hoops, and the Ducks are in the NIT, so I guess I'd have to root for the Hoosiers out of loyalty to Tim and Wendy Miller.

Crazy weather. It's broiling in other parts of the country, and we're getting snow? Nuts.

3. Are you a fan of Mad Men? If so, let us know who your favorite character is and why, and if not, please tell us what tv show you are mad about.
Never saw the show. With my weird shifts, I don't see much TV. And all the cartoons Alec watches are in reruns, soo....

4. Is there anything about the marketing of running shoes or other gear that makes you mad? What might that be?
Just that there is so much marketing, driving you to buy more and more. Running should be free.

A. To get mad - Yes
B. To get depressed - Yes
C. To be happy that you have more time to watch tv - No
D. Other - Geek out about a new part of my anatomy.

6. Have you ever been really mad at a race director, or a volunteer, or a spectator - and if so, why?
At a local race, they started letting traffic through the course and made slower runners stop and wait for traffic.

7. What do you do when you get really angry - do you yell, punch the wall, get even, brood, run an ultra...?
I'll let you know when it happens. I have a slow fuse.

8. Did you ever read Mad magazine? If so, which spy in "Spy v. Spy" did you root for? If not, you're probably a lot younger than me and in that case please share with us what your favorite publication or website is for humor.
Not only did I read "Spy Vs. Spy," I created my own comic strip version of it back when I was in grade school.

9. It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow - MADD asks that you don't drink and drive - which will you be - the designated driver or the drunk in the passenger seat?
Neither. I'll be listening to the police scanners at work for what happens when idiots fail to follow MADD's very good advice.

10. Back to the NCAA tournament - favorite moment in tournament history? If none, your favorite moment in sports history?
No idea about the NCAA. As far as favorite moment... Maybe Franz Klammer's amazing downhill run at the 1976 Winter Olympics?

Last edited by Mark B on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Neither the Canucks nor Red Wings win the cup, but one of them goes to the finals.

Spring fever. Want to get out and GO.

Nope, but since we're on AMC... The Walking Dead. New-found love.

A lot. Any time someone is modifying something "natural" and saying it's necessary, I have a problem with it.

A. To get mad - when I think I'm better then the injury flares up after a mile.
B. To get depressed - in general. I need my high.

Volunteers, kind of peeved. They set up the water table completely full of a grid of perfectly aligned cups... then stood there and watched the runners go by instead of handing off the cups. I really wanted to swing an arm into the back-corner cup and watch the whole thing go kaput.

I try to save it as fuel for a tempo or fast-finish run. Other than that, depends who I'm mad at. I adjust the energy put into "trying to be understanding" accordingly.

Nope, but I know who those characters are. I visit entensity.net - WARNING: VERY OFTEN NSFW!!!! - for the humor, uberhumor.com(net?) at times, too.

Probably sleeping on the couch. Or, I'll sober up enough to drive home. Not sure how much I actually want to party.

10. Back to the NCAA tournament - favorite moment in tournament history? If none, your favorite moment in sport's history?
None, so... when the Ducks won the cup. I know, kind of lame, but it was a really cool thing to see. Other, less momentous moments: Lance's staredown-and-go in the TDF a few years back, watching Contador destroy the field on every climb of last year's Giro, Jens Voigt's epic faceplant at 50-60mph...
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Mizzou. Those guys are good. I thought they should be a No. 1 seed, but apparently that was reserved for Kansas, well, because it's Kansas, I guess.

Mud. They ought to call it March Mudness. It seems like this time of year I end up running through muddy areas on the trail and getting my feet cold, wet and just a mess, and the dogs tear up the yard and get mud in. Ugh.

I've never watched it. I still want to watch The Wire. I actually watched a couple of old episodes of that using the "on demand" feature on my cable last weekend and really enjoyed it - it was from a season that I mostly missed.

The way they change the design of my favorite shoes, so that they are no longer my favorite, and I have to go find something else. What are they frickin' thinking?!

A. To get mad

B. To get depressed

D. Other

The timing service for a nearby half marathon really screwed up a couple of years ago, and had the times all wrong. When you're in charge of any race with that kind of distance, you have to know that it's crucial to people that you get it right, and he just didn't seem at all concerned that he blew it.

I tend to brood. I also will go out for a really long run sometimes, and it will help me to process it.

I always rooted for the white spy. Some kind of subconscious racism???

I would definitely be the designated driver, since I stopped drinking at all years ago. Please don't drink and drive!

Watching Villanova beat mighty Georgetown in the final - that was unbelievable. I was not a fan of either program, but those guys from Villanova just could not miss!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:22 pm

when it is still snowy

no. No TV so no TV shows.

I got really mad about the Vibram ad with a nearly naked lady saying "you are the technology" and wrote to RW and the company but never got a response.

A. To get mad

B. To get depressed

D. Other

get depressed

A little annoyed that the Pensacola Marathon director never sent my age group award after I called and emailed several times and they said they'd get it to me.

yell, punch the washing machine, hit my head...

I like Baby Blues (comics) probably because I can relate to almost every one.

the one who isn't around anyone who drinks, but I don't drink either, surprisingly I've never been asked to be a DD

not sure, I'm truly not that into sports. Actually, when Lil E T won the Preakness in 1991? That was awesome with Pat Day as the Jockey he was so excited. (so I like horse racing or at least the triple crown series).
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks Michael!

1. Who is/was your pick to win the tourney this year? If
no interest in that or any idea who is even playing, please share with
us a prognostication of your choice about whatever you please.
Missouri - haha, that didn't last long!

Seeing 90+ degree weather already!

Are you a fan of Mad Men? If so, let us know who your favorite
character is and why, and if not, please tell us what tv show you are
mad about.
Never seen it

Those stupid shoes with springs in them, marketed as running shoes. Are you kidding me?

A. To get mad
Yes

B. To get depressed
Yes

No

D. Other
Yes - swim or cycle

6. Have you ever been really mad at a race director, or a volunteer, or a spectator - and if so, why? When I was bonking hard after giving everything I had, a lady sort of walked/ran next to me and yelled RUN-GO-COME ON. Appreciate the thought, but I was ready to kill her if I would of had the energy!

I try to pray actually. If(when) I don't follow through on that I tend to cuss more than I should - I guess the Navy in me coming out...

Did you ever read Mad magazine? If so, which spy in "Spy v. Spy" did
you root for? If not, you're probably a lot younger than me and in that
case please share with us what your favorite publication or website is
for humor.
Loved those magazines - I rooted for the white guy - have no idea why - werent they both the same?

9. It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow - MADD asks that
you don't drink and drive - which will you be - the designated driver or
the drunk in the passenger seat?
Neither - I will be with my 6-year old! I am making corn beef and cabbage though - one of my favorite all-time meals!

Miracle on ice baby! Lot of good sports memories actually - another good one was 96 Michael Johnson. Wow! Favorite tournament moment was probably Bryce Drew's shot - that was just cool....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:31 pm

• 1. Who is/was your pick to win the tourney this year? If no interest in that or any idea who is even playing, please share with us a prognostication of your choice about whatever you please. Kentucky.

2. What is it about March that makes you Mad? The fact that it is still not July.

3. Are you a fan of Mad Men? If so, let us know who your favorite character is and why, and if not, please tell us what tv show you are mad about. Not a fan.

4. Is there anything about the marketing of running shoes or other gear that makes you mad? What might that be? Not really the marketing.

5. If you get injured and can't run, is your reaction: A and B.

A. To get mad

B. To get depressed

D. Other

6. Have you ever been really mad at a race director, or a volunteer, or a spectator - and if so, why? Madison a few years ago when they were not prepared to handle a very hot day although they had ample warning.

7. What do you do when you get really angry - do you yell, punch the wall, get even, brood, run an ultra...? Internalize it and then take it out on some innocent schmuck.

8. Did you ever read Mad magazine? If so, which spy in "Spy v. Spy" did you root for? If not, you're probably a lot younger than me and in that case please share with us what your favorite publication or website is for humor. The white spy.

9. It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow - MADD asks that you don't drink and drive - which will you be - the designated driver or the drunk in the passenger seat? I am genuine Irish and we don't treat the day as a drunk fest.

10. Back to the NCAA tournament - favorite moment in tournament history? If none, your favorite moment in sport's history? Jacksonville University vs UCLA in the championship game. 1971. Sydney Wicks swatting away Artis Gilmore's shot.
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Had Syracuse until FabMelo was ousted. Now Florida St. - no real reason

I don't get "mad" often, but this March I'm mad that the grocery store sin't selling my favorite hot chocolate anymore. It's the little things.

Mad about all shows Bravo. Stupid, yes, but I love myself some Bethany Frankel.

Iggornant runners buying shoes based on color.

Depends on if it stops me from running. Rolled ankle 1 mile into my 8 miler like yesterday? Man-up and run through it! Serious injury? I go through the 5 stages of grief. Seriously. Denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

Spectator during Chicago Marathon 2010 in Boystown - she was smoking a cigarette and blowing it in the runners faces. WTF lady!? Smoke triggers my asthma. oh, or the stupid woman who tried to cross the course during mile 4 and tripped me. Grrrr.

7. What do you do when you get really angry - do you yell, punch the wall, get even, brood, run an ultra...? Vent and run.

no

I'd be more than willing, but I don't have any plans to do so.

When Syracuse won the National Championship in 2003!!! Basketball
wrichman
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:42 am

1. Who is/was your pick to win the tourney this year? If no interest in that or any idea who is even playing, please share with us a prognostication of your choice about whatever you please.---nothing to foretell at this time.

2. What is it about March that makes you Mad? Kids at school have senioritis already and they are just freshmen!

3. Are you a fan of Mad Men? If so, let us know who your favorite character is and why, and if not, please tell us what tv show you are mad about. Never watched it. I love Shameless and the Office right now!

4. Is there anything about the marketing of running shoes or other gear that makes you mad? What might that be? When you find a shoe you love, and they change the model....

A. To get mad

B. To get depressed

D. Other

6. Have you ever been really mad at a race director, or a volunteer, or a spectator - and if so, why? Once in a race a train came across the tracks--a very slow train. It held me up for 8 mins. I would have had a huge PR without it. I was just mad--no one to really blame.

8. Did you ever read Mad magazine? If so, which spy in "Spy v. Spy" did you root for? If not, you're probably a lot younger than me and in that case please share with us what your favorite publication or website is for humor. I did read my brothers' Mad magazines. I didn't always understand it, but Spy vs Spy was good. White.

10. Back to the NCAA tournament - favorite moment in tournament history? If none, your favorite moment in sport's history? When the Huskers won the National Championship in 1994! It was so much fun to watch that game.
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 am

@John Kilpatrick wrote:

1. Who is/was your pick to win the tourney this year? If
no interest in that or any idea who is even playing, please share with
us a prognostication of your choice about whatever you please.
Missouri - haha, that didn't last long!

Proving without a doubt, yet again, that I have no idea what I'm talking about! You gotta love the tournament!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:33 am

No idea - how about Kansas!

I just add a "d" after Ma.

No. But I should be.

How they change them sometimes for the worse.

A. To get mad

B. To get depressed

D. Other

I think I experience all three sometimes at once.

Yes! After finding out the course was way short, or too long, or mis guided.

None of the above. Let go of my anger serves me no purpose.

Yes in camp but only the last page to fold it up and see what it made.

None of the above!

Duke in the 90's hurley, leitner etc. Whatever that year was.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 pm

1. Who is/was your pick to win the tourney this year? If no interest in that or any idea who is even playing, please share with us a prognostication of your choice about whatever you please. I have 3 brackets, Kentucky in one , Syracuse in one and Kansas in one.

2. What is it about March that makes you Mad? I love March! No madness! Or do you mean excited type madness? In that case better running weather!

3. Are you a fan of Mad Men? If so, let us know who your favorite character is and why, and if not, please tell us what tv show you are mad about. Never have watched it. I like Big Bang Theory a lot.

4. Is there anything about the marketing of running shoes or other gear that makes you mad? What might that be? I hate how often they tinker with the design. Everytime I find a shoe that works they change it and it quits working for me!

A. To get mad

B. To get depressed

D. Other

All of the above to some extent.

6. Have you ever been really mad at a race director, or a volunteer, or a spectator - and if so, why? No

7. What do you do when you get really angry - do you yell, punch the wall, get even, brood, run an ultra...? I'm pretty laid back. I just go do something active to take my mind off of it until I get over it.

8. Did you ever read Mad magazine? If so, which spy in "Spy v. Spy" did you root for? If not, you're probably a lot younger than me and in that case please share with us what your favorite publication or website is for humor. Loved Mad Magazine when I was younger! I didn't really root for either of the two spies.

9. It's St. Patrick's Day tomorrow - MADD asks that you don't drink and drive - which will you be - the designated driver or the drunk in the passenger seat? I did my drinking last night and, since I am running 16 miles tomorrow, so I very well might be the designated driver.

10. Back to the NCAA tournament - favorite moment in tournament history? If none, your favorite moment in sport's history? Don't know! I have some favorite sports moments when my college team (Nebraska) won some championships in various sports.
carleenp
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks Mike.

I had Missouri on one pick so that is gone. I had Duke going to the Elite Eight so that is gone. I didn't think there'd be such major upsets in the first round.

Nothing bad, it's a good month in that the weather usually changes for the better so mostly outdoor runs, I can get the motorcycle out, and start thinking about the spring marathon

No, I've never seen it, not sure why not

There are so many terms and parts of the shoe they list, and you can't always tell what category a shoe fits into. And I dislike when they keep discontinuing styles. Good thing is I have simplified my shoes in the past few years.

B. To get depressed

I was a little mad at the first Georgia marathon when there were missing aid stations (so no water) and it was in the 80s.

Probably swear

I loved that magazine, always the white spy. I think the author of that had them evenly win.

Since I have a race in the morning, it would be the driver

Some years ago when Illinois went to the final, that was a great time.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top