365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

The Door to the Glue Factory...

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Door to the Glue Factory...

Post  Paula Sue on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Okay, I'm actually going to TRY to blog to keep my fat a$$ moving...not matter if I can run or not. Monday is the appointment with the podiatrist and the day to find out about the running.

Short of it, before 'the adventure' I had a bulge on the back of my left achilles tendon. Everyone that saw it went into panic mode (except me....because I'd had it for a while). After a lot of folks freaking, I went to my podiatrist a few days before cast-off (as in the adventure). The pod said it was achilles tendenosis and gave me a DVD with my xrays to show anyone that might have to intervene during the 10 month Odyssey. He also gave me a elastic sock with a gel pad at the achilles (which is way to big for a child size foot!) and some topical applications to put on every night. I added my plastic night splint. Well, something that never hurt began to hurt. I quit everything but the hurt continued (and still does)...sometimes almost feeling like a broken bone...sometimes just grumpy.

I've run exactly 4 times (all in Key West...ya just gotta run there). The achilles tendon guard in my Asics DS Trainers really irritated the damn thing. So I stopped wearing them, even for walking (our only mode of land transportation outside of our bikes).

I've gained 20 ugly pounds, have my 45th HS reunion at the end of July, need to crash diet like there's no tomorrow...and get back into my active lifestyle. The boat lands at home port today after 10 months through 117 ports or anchorages. After all the 'welcome home' eating and drinking, I'm going to have my jaws wired shut and pretend that alcohol and any liquid calorie substances cause me severe nausea. I might even rejoin Weight Watchers (seems like a more realistic approach).

So there you have it...did I mention getting active some how? Swiming (after I buy a gigantic size swimsuit...I know none of my Speedos will fit!), biking (oh God, please don't let me fall off or get hit by some elderly driver...oh yeah, I AM an elderly driver!) and walking if I can find a shoe that won't irritate that ugly bump!
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Door to the Glue Factory...

Post  Sam from RonItch! on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:45 pm

You poor girl!!! What an adventure though, wow, I can't wait to read more about it! 20 pounds with a fantastic story for each and every ounce! Sport those proud pounds, only gaining roughly two ounces per stop is pretty amazing, it'll fall tight off, especially with your jaw wired, very very funny! Lose the boring ounces first, if there were any and write about them as they fall off, what a great tribute to a great adventure!!:0 Welcome back, I hope you find someone to give you realistic relief and answers quickly and get you back on the road! Very Happy
Sam from RonItch!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Paula,

AT is a son-of-a-bitch to say the least. Had it myself knocked me out for 10 weeks in 2009. If I farted I would feel the pain in my Achilles. Anyways you have a nice journey ahead of yourself. Losing 20 ain't no picnic unless it is. Nice part is your have the will to get it done and the support and motivation is here for you.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Great to hear from you, PaulaSue! I'm still so very jealous of your adventure, and I know John keeps saying that he wants to buy a boat to sail on Erie when we finally get back to Cleveland. Of course, I do not know how to sail (he does or at least did since he used to race at Lake Geneva, WI in the summers as a child and teen), but I guess I can learn, right?

That achilles stuff sucks. Mine was not as bad as Kenny's or as yours sounds, but it did take a while to go away, and I still get twinges every now and then. You'll get it though and be back on the roads at least by March, 2013 so we can run together at Huron again. And you'll have to come back to Boston again so I can cheer for you when you're in Kenmore Square.

Looking forward to following this next adventure!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:36 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Great to hear from you, PaulaSue! I'm still so very jealous of your adventure, and I know John keeps saying that he wants to buy a boat to sail on Erie when we finally get back to Cleveland. Of course, I do not know how to sail (he does or at least did since he used to race at Lake Geneva, WI in the summers as a child and teen), but I guess I can learn, right?

That achilles stuff sucks. Mine was not as bad as Kenny's or as yours sounds, but it did take a while to go away, and I still get twinges every now and then. You'll get it though and be back on the roads at least by March, 2013 so we can run together at Huron again. And you'll have to come back to Boston again so I can cheer for you when you're in Kenmore Square.

Michele, I got twinges after I came back and I found ART, Massaging it myself worked awesome (which I think you do). I can actually feel it reduce the inflammation almost like it is spreading out the fluid build up (not knowing there is fluid??) scratch
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:06 pm

Have some Chinese food, mom. Approval
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey Paula Sue, I hope the new blog will help to provide motivation.What wasn't clear in your post was, other than those runs on Key West, are you now able to do any running? I hope you get this achilles tendon issue under control soon so you have an easier time getting yourself back into great shape.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:09 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Great to hear from you, PaulaSue! I'm still so very jealous of your adventure, and I know John keeps saying that he wants to buy a boat to sail on Erie when we finally get back to Cleveland. Of course, I do not know how to sail (he does or at least did since he used to race at Lake Geneva, WI in the summers as a child and teen), but I guess I can learn, right?

Michele...once you start sailing, we won't be able to get you off the water. I wish we had a day sailer...it's still on my bucket list!

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:That achilles stuff sucks. Mine was not as bad as Kenny's or as yours sounds, but it did take a while to go away, and I still get twinges every now and then. You'll get it though and be back on the roads at least by March, 2013 so we can run together at Huron again. And you'll have to come back to Boston again so I can cheer for you when you're in Kenmore Square.

My goal is always to be the hottest old broad out there...and to get back to Boston as many times as this old body will let me. You will too!

@Jerry wrote:Have some Chinese food, mom.

Love ya, Jerry...and it is probably the best answer yet!

@Seth Harrison wrote:Hey Paula Sue, I hope the new blog will help to provide motivation.What wasn't clear in your post was, other than those runs on Key West, are you now able to do any running? I hope you get this achilles tendon issue under control soon so you have an easier time getting yourself back into great shape.

I've been hesitant to run fearing full rupture of the tendon. Not such a good thing to do while we were in the midst of this huge adventure. However, now that OB is back in her dock, I'm REALLY anxious. May try some run-walk Monday morning. I have my podiatrist appointment Monday afternoon so what better time to totally wreck it, if it's going to go, eh?

The pain comes and goes and doesn't seem to be related to anything specific (i.e. shoes I've worn, walking particularly long distance, jumping on and off the boat more today than yesterday, weather systems passing by, full moon, etc.). It has been majorly frustrating. If I could only link the pain to something. And by pain, I mean feels like a broken bone kind of pain behind the outer aspect of my left ankle bone. Just plain weird! So hopefully over the next few weeks I'll get some answers through whatever tests the pod decides.

And YES, I need and really appreciate everyone's support. Certainly my issues are a flea bite compared to Rhondda's and some of the other situations folks have going on...but it's still a dang flea bite Evil or Very Mad Thank you, all of you, for being the same great group I've always known and respected.
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:27 pm

It's great seeing the green, green grass of (almost) home. We brought OB into her own dock and homeport yesterday afternoon. To date: 116 ports or anchorages, 306 days on the water, over 5800 miles traveled...and Todd and I are still speaking to each other (kindly, I might add), haven't attempted murder or suicide, and are genuinely ready to do the Great Loop and travels beyond again. Just not right away. OB comes out of the water Monday for a much needed mani-pedi. Todd and I have multiple doctors appointments scheduled over the next 4 weeks to catch up all our physicals, etc.

SO upon yesterday's arrival, I ate not too badly but consumed way too many beer and wine calories. Gotta find that patch that will make me nauseated at the smell of alcohol! I'll never lose weight this way...but then, I did say I'd get on the dietary horse Monday...didn't I????

Todd, Charlie (yes, the lovable Golden still lives) and I took a long walk around Bay Point, where we keep OB. We must have put in at least a mile...maybe a little more. It wasn't the break-out-a-sweat kind of walk that we need...but it was putting one foot in front of the other. We both salivate when we see runners, and there were plenty of those out and about. We both promised each other Monday we'll break out a sweat for at least 30 to 45 minutes. We both realize the necessity of baby-steps and have resigned ourselves to lots of rapid paced walking mixed with some slogging here and there. Todd had achilles tendonitis more than a year ago...and there's me with that ugly bulge on my left achilles mixed with that periodic striking pain.

Monday is the day of recogning with the podiatrist. I hope he will do some definitive tests so I have some clear answers to what is really going on with this left foot. Until then, I'll get out for another good walk with Charlie (and probably Todd...since I'm not tired of him yet Wink ) tomorrow before our friend comes with our car and we head home to Findlay. Two walks in two days will be the most consecutive I've been with planned activity in 10 months. So, I've officially started...stepping farther away from the Door to the Glue Factory. I'll be glad when I can't see the door anymore and start a new actual training blog!
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:47 pm

That trip was worth every ounce of those 20 pounds! And don't worry about them falling off... Once your back on a schedule where you can keep moving, they'll come off easily.
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Paula Sue that injury does not sound like fun and I hope that you continue to heal and get back to normal.

As for running in Key West I agree 100% with you! Great place to run and have a great time. I must also add get married!! Lisa and I got married on the beach in Key West and it was such a blast!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Lots of things happening, but we knew coming back would be as hectic as leaving...and it IS!

The welcome back from friends both at the marina and here at home has been just great. It is good to be home. Charlie is having some trouble acclimating. I think his equilibrium is probably more senditive than ours and that may be part of his problem...although he doesn't stager or anything like that. Just seems a little nervous. And I thought he hated the boat!

I had my appointment with my podiatrist yesterday. Of course he wasn't the least bit happy that I hadn't followed his regimen with the topical application (Flexor Patch), the little (too big) elastic sock with the gel insert for the achilles tendon and hadn't worn my night spent at night. I told him that it seemed to make it worse the two periods I did use it, but that went no where.

The xrays he took showed that I have twisted my ankle somewhere along the way and pulled off the end of my fibula (again). It commonly happens with a bad sprain (ankle roll). I've done it twice running (a long time ago now). I have no idea how it happened this time...although I kind of remember an ankle roll while walking somewhere. Who knows...it was a big adventure. I didn't pay attention to the small details!

SO he needs an MRI so I can start PT. I'm waiting for the call telling me it's scheduled. He doesn't want me to run (I figured) and he doesn't want me to do any brisk walking (he wants me to limit my walking). He said I could ride my bike (will start tomorrow and maybe even some stationary biking when it's hot) and I can swim (gotta restart that Y membership).

On top of all that, the podiatrist put me back on the Flexor Patch, the stupid little sock that doesn't fit, the night splint (figured that) and now a heel lift in my left shoe (a real trail with Birkenstocks!). I used the patch, sock and night splint last night and had so much pain I had to take the splint off. I think it's the pressure it puts on the achilles tendon. I ordered a Strassburg Sock today...hope it does the trick.

SO currently I'm bummed. The only good thing is I haven't gained as much weight as I thought I had...but still plenty. The dieting had commenced. If I can't keep myself to it, I'll head to Weight Watchers.

That's it from the crippled corner Sad
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the AT issues still plaguing you. Hopefully you can get closer to the solution.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm

bummer about the AT. Doing some biking and swimming sound like they might be good for you right now. Are you able to work out pain free on an elliptical? Good luck on your comeback!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:08 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote: Are you able to work out pain free on an elliptical?

I didn't ask him about eliptical...I'll do that! It'd sure be a lot better than sitting here grumbling.

Just got a call and the MRI is in two hours. YAY! Let's get this show on the road!
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm thrilled to see you back blogging. While I've watched your adventures on FB, I'm really into hearing how your next stage of whipping yourself back into your marathon (or any running you choose) state goes.

So, it sounds like running is out but no reason not to keep busy and burning calories. Ugh, end of July reunion? Open a vein!
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Geez Paula Sue...I'm sorry to see that you're not getting a break from the AT, ankle, etc. issues. It looks like it's gotten pretty complicated down there. I know well the frustration! I hope to be able to read good things from you soon though.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:37 pm

sorry for the pain with the injury and the podiatrist who doesn't seem to be helping much!!

The swimming sounds very smart, plus, doesn't it feel good this time of year with the heat? I know it's a bummer not to be able to run but I'm glad you do have cross training available. I can't swim for anything so I really do admire those of you who can.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:44 am

Okay, the MRI is done and now the wait begins. I suppose no news (until July 6th) is good news...but no walking? I decided that is actually rediculous. I walk more in the grocery store than a walk with Charlie would entail. SO I called the podiatrist's office this morning and asked if I could walk Charlie IF I didn't break a sweat. The medical asst. just called back and said I could 'casually walk the dog'. At least that is SOME ground transfer of weight.

Now to get down to the Y and renew so I can get my body in motion in the pool. I need to see if they have the floatation belt used for water-running. That bell managed to go off in my head last night. For crying out loud...how many folks have I mentioned water-running to when they were injured! Gees...an old brain is a dangerous brain!

This week is so misconstrued. I'll have to use what time I have to put together my plan of action in order to maximize my workouts to bring me back to good physical health. I KNOW how out of shape I am...just plain scarey Crying or Very sad

Thank you, everyone, for you well wishes and genuine concern. I appreciate your friendship and virtual sharing so much.
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:23 pm

I wondered about water-jogging, too...that sounds like an excellent idea!
And like others have said, you looping adventure was worth every one of those pounds....I really enjoyed following along on your journey! You took some really outstanding pictures!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Water jogging is a good solution. I did it when I had AT issues I will admit I hated it with a passion. Found it so dam boring running in a dam circle looking at nothing. Ok I am suppose to motivate you. Get waterproof ear phones, and zone out to music.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:36 pm

It's never good when the podiatrist moves your appointment up by 10 days after you've had an MRI. I went to see him this morning and I have a small tear in the left achilles tendon. Since I've let it go so long (yes, the adventure definitely got in the way of this one), surgical repair will get me back to running. Of course, we all know that will take some time so I'm expecting my running shoes to get a rest until early spring. Hopefully, by some miracle, it will be sooner. I'm waiting for the phone call from the sports ortho dudes. The squeekiest wheel gets grease first! If I don't hear from them by noon Monday, the podiatrist office will get a call.

Now to figure out an exercise strategy to use while the left foot is mending. For now I think it will be complete cross training. I don't want to go for full rupture since I've made it this far without that complication. Trying to keep a positive outlook.
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:44 pm

@Paula Sue wrote:It's never good when the podiatrist moves your appointment up by 10 days after you've had an MRI. I went to see him this morning and I have a small tear in the left achilles tendon. Since I've let it go so long (yes, the adventure definitely got in the way of this one), surgical repair will get me back to running. Of course, we all know that will take some time so I'm expecting my running shoes to get a rest until early spring. Hopefully, by some miracle, it will be sooner. I'm waiting for the phone call from the sports ortho dudes. The squeekiest wheel gets grease first! If I don't hear from them by noon Monday, the podiatrist office will get a call.

Now to figure out an exercise strategy to use while the left foot is mending. For now I think it will be complete cross training. I don't want to go for full rupture since I've made it this far without that complication. Trying to keep a positive outlook.

Ok you found out the problem that is huge and now you can work the solution. I mean what else is there to do?

So are you going with surgical repair or letting it heal naturally (if possible)? If surgical pair when? And what exercises can you do during the healing process?
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 pm

@Paula Sue wrote:It's never good when the podiatrist moves your appointment up by 10 days after you've had an MRI. I went to see him this morning and I have a small tear in the left achilles tendon. Since I've let it go so long (yes, the adventure definitely got in the way of this one), surgical repair will get me back to running. Of course, we all know that will take some time so I'm expecting my running shoes to get a rest until early spring. Hopefully, by some miracle, it will be sooner. I'm waiting for the phone call from the sports ortho dudes. The squeekiest wheel gets grease first! If I don't hear from them by noon Monday, the podiatrist office will get a call.

+1 to Ken - it is nice to at least know what the problem is. That sounds like bad news in the short term, but good news in the long term if there is a reasonable solution to the problem. Sorry you have to go through all of this....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:15 pm

I am equally inspired and deflated after catching up here. Maybe deflated is the wrong word, but it's not fun to hear about that kind of injury. Hopefully you'll be able to work in enough cross-training to keep you happy and healthy while the heel is on the mend. Is cycling allowed?

But, like I said, also inspired. That sailing trip sounds amazing. I've glossed over your blog (the other one) a little bit, but you can bet I'll be reading it thoroughly sometime in the near future. I've wanted to live on a boat since high school... What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top