365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Door to the Glue Factory...

+20
Tom H
Peg Coover
Dave Wolfe
rhondda h
fostever
ChasMcG
Alex Kubacki
Mike MacLellan
KathyK
Julie
dot520
John Kilpatrick
Schuey
Natalie
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
Sam from RonItch!
Paula Sue
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Door to the Glue Factory... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Door to the Glue Factory...

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:27 pm

I hope you're able to come back strong. Best wishes in your recovery.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

The Door to the Glue Factory... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Door to the Glue Factory...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Keep us along in your recovery, PaulaSue, as we are here for you. Can you swim?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Kenny B. wrote:So are you going with surgical repair or letting it heal naturally (if possible)? If surgical pair when? And what exercises can you do during the healing process?
My understanding is with a tear (especially an old one), if I want to run again and not end up with a full blown rupture, surgical repair and rehab is the best approach. However, I still have to hear what the sports orthopedic surgeon has to say. I had this tear when we left on our odessey 10 months ago. It would have been a deal breaker if we knew then what we know now.
Mike MacLellan wrote:I am equally inspired and deflated after catching up here. Maybe deflated is the wrong word, but it's not fun to hear about that kind of injury. Hopefully you'll be able to work in enough cross-training to keep you happy and healthy while the heel is on the mend. Is cycling allowed?

But, like I said, also inspired. That sailing trip sounds amazing. I've glossed over your blog (the other one) a little bit, but you can bet I'll be reading it thoroughly sometime in the near future. I've wanted to live on a boat since high school... What a Face
I'm certain I can cross train and get my core back into shape as well as keep my good leg strong and the thigh on the left leg strong as well. Re: the blog...I'm painfully behind but will have plenty of time to catch up once July and August are out of the way. However, the whole first half of the trip is there. I would do the Great Loop again in a heartbeat!
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Keep us along in your recovery, PaulaSue, as we are here for you. Can you swim?
I will, Michele. The one thing I kept thinking about all the way home from the podiatrist's office was I won't be able to get up to Grand Rapids for Judy's finale Sad I REALLY wanted to run the half and knew I could be ready IF everything was okay. Can't cry over spilt milk, eh? From the sounds of it, I will be in a cast for a while. After that, I would think I could swim and it might help the return of flexion and extension in the tendon. But again, we shall see.
Thanks everyone, for you thoughts and well wishes. I keeping putting in mind, this is such a tiny problem compared to Rhondda.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Paula Sue wrote:Okay, the MRI is done and now the wait begins. I suppose no news (until July 6th) is good news...but no walking? I decided that is actually rediculous. I walk more in the grocery store than a walk with Charlie would entail. SO I called the podiatrist's office this morning and asked if I could walk Charlie IF I didn't break a sweat. The medical asst. just called back and said I could 'casually walk the dog'. At least that is SOME ground transfer of weight.

Now to get down to the Y and renew so I can get my body in motion in the pool. I need to see if they have the floatation belt used for water-running. That bell managed to go off in my head last night. For crying out loud...how many folks have I mentioned water-running to when they were injured! Gees...an old brain is a dangerous brain!

This week is so misconstrued. I'll have to use what time I have to put together my plan of action in order to maximize my workouts to bring me back to good physical health. I KNOW how out of shape I am...just plain scarey Crying or Very sad

Thank you, everyone, for you well wishes and genuine concern. I appreciate your friendship and virtual sharing so much.

It's funny, I was just about to mention it when I was reading your last entry. It really is great for you. Just boring but keep with it and you'll be back in running shape. And don't worry about 20 pounds. Like Natalie said....those are the best 20 pounds to gain. You have been able (not many can do that) to travel in your boat for a long time. How many months? I'm really not sure what you can do on a boat to stay fit. Can you do jumping jacks? Smile But you're home now and you'll be able to ride, swim, and water run until you hit those waters again. I'm very envious. I would love to do it one time and wouldn't even mind the 20 pounds but you know that you did and you are ready to kick it into gear and that there says sooo much.

Hugs. Get better and soon you'll be running those roads again!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:53 am

So sorry for your injury...I know this is not the same, at all, but do you ever do Pilates? It is so good for strengthening core muscles and I can't imagine it would be stressful on your tear. Hang in there!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Time for an update: The achilles tendon repair is scheduled for July 12th. I've had the second consult and consult with PT. Because of the area of the tear, no healing will occur without surgical repair. It seems I managed to put the tear right in the area of the tendon with the least amount of blood circulation. With out that healing blood, no healing will occur.

On the up side, the MRI demonstrated NO calcification had taken place over the 10 month or so period the tear has been evident. The doc said calcification really makes repair not only difficult but can affect the healing and strength of the tendon post-op. Bottom line, everything looks good for a full recovery.

SO now my main training is learning crutches with no weight bearing to 25% weight bearing on the left leg, wearing a immobilization boot with a 30% angle to the heel and exercises to strengthen both the affected leg as well as the leg that will be carrying my weight. I have to say, looking down steps knowing that one slip can cause destruction of the impending repair is damn scarey! I am going up and down the garage steps many times a day right now trying to make navigation a habit and not a mishap.

How's the head? Kind of scared, kind of relieved and a whole lot of hope. Carissa just posted on my FB that she hopes to BQ in this year. It gave me reason to be as good as I can in the upcoming recovery process. The best goal I could have would be to train next summer and requalify next fall so I could run with her in Boston. Without hope...well, there is nothing.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:08 am

I practiced a lot this week with the crutches and the boot. Getting around the house was good. Trying to figure out how to shower and dress without putting weight on the left foot was difficult...not to mention getting in and out of the shower. Getting on the boat and then trying to move around inside with the crutches was even worse. I gave up practicing for the weekend and decided to enjoy the holiday.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:44 pm

Paula Sue wrote:I practiced a lot this week with the crutches and the boot. Getting around the house was good. Trying to figure out how to shower and dress without putting weight on the left foot was difficult...not to mention getting in and out of the shower. Getting on the boat and then trying to move around inside with the crutches was even worse. I gave up practicing for the weekend and decided to enjoy the holiday.

Crying or Very sad Sucks Paula. Have a nice weekend and try not to think about all that. Enjoy the boat!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 am

ChasMcG wrote:Have a nice weekend and try not to think about all that. Enjoy the boat!
Thanks, Chas...I did...ate and drank my way through the weekend Twisted Evil

Todd went out running this morning...I'm trying to keep from thinking about it. Just moving forward. Time passes so fast, it won't be that long before this is just a bump in the road and behind me. I have a week full of must do's so I'll be ready for next week.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:14 am

Glad you are hopeful! Won't your PT work with teaching you how to use your crutches in all the different places you need to use them? Especially the showering and dressing. I just say this because I work on a rehab floor and we have plenty of patients who are non weight bearing on at least one leg and have to learn how to do all the things they need to while accommodating their needs.

I hope your recovery goes as fast as possible and you keep your hopes high and stay encouraged.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:09 am

Just a run by hello wishing you a quick recovery and back to running soon.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:40 am

Recover well, sorry about your misfortune.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  rhondda h Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Best of luck on the surgery next week. I was wondering where you were at on your loop and popped in to see the bad news. Would a shower chair with arms work?
rhondda h
rhondda h

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Julie wrote:Won't your PT work with teaching you how to use your crutches in all the different places you need to use them? Especially the showering and dressing.
He basically thought I would be 25% weight bearing in the boot right away. However, that's not the orthos plan. I do think I will be 25% weight bearing by the second week. It's that first two weeks that's going to be a learning experience. I've tried to practice but that right leg really gets tired. Tomorrow there's no more practice...the show begins. ADL is definitely going to be the hardest thing to accomplish.

rhondda h wrote:Best of luck on the surgery next week. I was wondering where you were at on your loop and popped in to see the bad news. Would a shower chair with arms work?
Thank you so much Rhondda. I know you were watching our Loop blog...I got behind but I will finish it. We did get home...it was amazing...and we will do it again. It's kind of like marathons...once you do it, you're already planning your next one Very Happy
I did get a chair for the tub for the first two weeks. Hopefully I won't have to use it that long but at least I can 'get wet'.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Tomorrow is day '0'...we have to be at the Surgery Center at 5:30AM. I've got my weights by my recliner so I can work my upper body in the days to come. And I have my leg weights to work that right leg. The PT gave me exercises for the left leg while it is in the splint and later when it's in the immobilization boot. I'm training for something different than I'd planned, but stuff happens and we move on. Catch you up on the flip-side.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Good luck tomorrow -- hoping everything goes smoothly.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:Good luck tomorrow -- hoping everything goes smoothly.

Yes, best of luck and recover well.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Good luck, PaulaSue.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 pm

drop a line and let us know how you are doing - be thinking about you...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Paula Sue wrote:Tomorrow is day '0'...we have to be at the Surgery Center at 5:30AM. I've got my weights by my recliner so I can work my upper body in the days to come. And I have my leg weights to work that right leg. The PT gave me exercises for the left leg while it is in the splint and later when it's in the immobilization boot. I'm training for something different than I'd planned, but stuff happens and we move on. Catch you up on the flip-side.

Hope everything went well. Thinking about you!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Yesterday and today have been interesting. I'm glad I practiced with the crutches before this surgery. It wouldn't have been good starting off as a novice.

The surgery went well. I have a huge plaster splint on my left leg from the knee down to the toes. I've been sequestered to the recliner for daytime activity with an ice pack, which is really helping the discomfort. They had to change my pain medication because the first one made me feel like I was laying on an ant pile. The new one is much better. I think tomorrow, I'll be able to control any discomfort with Tylenol Extra Strength and save the narcs for bedtime.

I will see the doctor July 26th. Guessing he'll remove the splint then and put me in the immobilization boot. He felt he got a good repair. He won't commit to my ability to run long distances. That all depends on my physical response to PT and the recovery process. I'm still very positive and trying to keep it all in perspective. I didn't start my adult life as a runner. It took time to get to where I was when this incident happened (whenever that was!). Time is still on my side, no matter my age. The outcome is mine to master. Right now I'm just trying not to fall off of my crutches What a Face
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Heal fast and heal well!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. Sounds like you have a solid long term recovery plan!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:23 pm

I hope you recover quickly and completely.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Best wishes to you Paula Sue and I hope that everything heals fast and that everything turns out fine. When I came in to your blog to get caught up I was like this really stinks but at the same time at least now you got it fixed. If you are able to do the pool running it will really help with your fitness. You might actually fine that you will gain fitness. I did a lot of pool running in 2008 and it really worked out for me. Again heal fast and we will keep you in our prayers!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum