365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Door to the Glue Factory...

+20
Tom H
Peg Coover
Dave Wolfe
rhondda h
fostever
ChasMcG
Alex Kubacki
Mike MacLellan
KathyK
Julie
dot520
John Kilpatrick
Schuey
Natalie
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
Sam from RonItch!
Paula Sue
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Door to the Glue Factory... - Page 3 Empty Re: The Door to the Glue Factory...

Post  Paula Sue Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:02 am

This morning I got up with renewed hope. I had no pain, the sun is out, the air is cool...I want to wiggle. I'm actually looking forward to recovery and PT now. Yesterday I wasn't as optimistic. Guess that's the funny thing about healing and taking the downs with the ups.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes, both here and on FB. It really helps keep me working on the positive and disregarding the negative. It actually puts the 'can do' back in place.

Gotta go do my leg lifts...it's time to get to work!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Door to the Glue Factory... - Page 3 Empty Re: The Door to the Glue Factory...

Post  Liz R Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 am

Yay!

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:21 am

Great news!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 pm

Paula Sue wrote:This morning I got up with renewed hope. I had no pain, the sun is out, the air is cool...I want to wiggle. I'm actually looking forward to recovery and PT now. Yesterday I wasn't as optimistic. Guess that's the funny thing about healing and taking the downs with the ups.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes, both here and on FB. It really helps keep me working on the positive and disregarding the negative. It actually puts the 'can do' back in place.

Gotta go do my leg lifts...it's time to get to work!

Good deal - very encouraging. Your attitude is refreshing - I hope if I end up in your shoes I can take things in stride as well!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Instead of leg lifts, I need to be working on these chicken like arms of mine. Had my first real outing yesterday. I did quite a bit of 'crutching around' and am I ever paying for it today affraid I've got muscles complaining that I never knew I had! So today the Ibuprophen I'm taking isn't for my heel.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Just an update: Still crutching around...will lose the plaster splint on Tuesday and start living in my immobilization boot. It sounds like I'll be on crutches for another 3 to 4 weeks until I'm fully weight bearing in the boot. I won't really know anything until Tuesday. Wednesday we leave for my HS Reunion in Casper, WY. We're driving so we can see more than we've seen since we moved East 36 years ago. From there we will drive to California to see our daughter and her family. We're coming back through the Grand Canyon and Four Corners then spending a few days in Alamosa, CO where Todd got his undergraduate degree.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm glad to see you'll at least be out of the cast shortly Paula Sue. This has to be a tough way to spend the summer. Your upcoming trip looks like a great one though. I hope you have a terrific time.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks, Seth...getting out of the house (and out of town) will really help. Not that the town is bad or anything, but I've become a bit of a wanderlust. I think Todd's caught the disease, too! SO if I can't run, might as well travel Cool
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:38 pm

How did everything go on Tuesday? Sounds like fun travels!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 pm

The trip is done and now the boredom sets in Mad

The plaster splint came off on Tuesday (7/26/11) and the immobilization boot went on. No problems there. We left for Casper, WY Wednesday (7/27/11). It was great getting out of the house and doing something different besides thinking about not running, not walking, not anything.

The trip was amazing...Todd got to see a lot of the country I grew up in and I got reaquainted with it in a limited way. My 45th HS Reunion was fun. Driving on out to CA to see our daughter and her family was awesome as well. We came back through the Grand Canyon and Four Corners Monument. We stopped for a couple of days in Alamosa, CO at Adams State College. Everything was fun and kept my mind off of the recovery process.

SO, I'm well into 25% to 50% weight bearing with the crutches. I still have a lot of discomfort in my arms, chest, neck and upper back from crutch walking. I have 3 more weeks until I see the orthopeadic surgeon and am ever so hopefull I will lose the crutches at that point.

The foot exercises are going very well. The doc said my achilles tendon would tell me when to stop...and it really hasn't so I hope I haven't gone into marathon brain. Todd's worried because the bulge on my achilles tendon that started all this craziness has returned. I don't notice any pain when I rub the area so keep that in the forefront of my mind.

I hope to navigate the stairs to the basement next week and start riding my stationary bike. I need exercise in the worst of ways.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Great to see the positive attitude - but sorry you have to endure everything. Sounds like things are on track. If you ever get around to it, a sprint tri would be fun! Good luck and thanks for the update...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:50 am

I hope everything goes well Paula Sue. Has the doctors said anything about that bulge?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Just think of how strong your upper body will be after this adventure, PS. No weight work necessary Wink

I've been following your trip on FB and it sounds like fun.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Paula Sue, that looked like an absolutely awesome trip. Hopefully it wasn't too hard getting around while traveling. I hope the bulge isn't anything to worry about.
Keep the great attitude...this will be over before too long.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Paula Sue,

So glad you got a good vacation and you're bearing more wt now. I hope the Achilles bulge isn't anything to be concerned over and that you're up and running before you know it.

Thanks for the advice, too, I appreciate your input about my knee. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Glad things are progressing, albeit slowly. It must have been nice to have a nice long trip to distract you a bit. Glad there's no pain with the bulge, but hopefully something that can be explained or better yet resolved.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 pm

I was able to drop the crutches on Wednesday...YAY Razz I still have the immobilization boot for two more weeks. I start PT next Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm finally able to get into the basement and use my stationary bike. I got 15 minutes in yesterday and 20 minutes in today. WOW, can't believe how much endurance I DON'T have anymore. At least I still have marathon brain! Today went so much better than yesterday.

We also went to our friends pool today. It felt so good to get in and wiggle around. I hope to get the okay for PT on Wednesday to start using the pool at the YMCA. I really need to get my lungs back with lap swimming. Yeah, it's going to be a long slow road! I also want to start water running. REALLY hoping I get the green light for all of that!

So right now really on the happy train...can't tell can you What a Face
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:52 am

Yay!! Congrats on dropping the crutches! It does take time to re-gain fitness but not as long as when you first got into exercise, at least that was how it was for me after having my baby. The first 6 weeks were very difficult and the first 9 months were harder than before pregnancy but then it all came back just fine. Not saying you just had a baby but maybe there is some similarity. Either way, I'm happy for you!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:33 am

Just popping my head in here, since I haven't in far too long. Congrats on being able to finally drop the crutches! I'm completely inspired by your determination to get back to endurance (of any sort, it seems!) training as soon as possible.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Progress!!! So glad to see it Paula Sue.
I love what you said about still having "marathon brain". I know exactly what that feels like. The body will follow...
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:55 pm

woohoo! You'll be running before I get back to Ohio.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Give it time amd you will see you aerobic fitness come back pretty quickly. Great news on beaing able to get around without the crutches!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. So, so anxious to feel my left foot on the ground and not in a boot!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:woohoo! You'll be running before I get back to Ohio.

Really hoping so, Michele...have my sights on running while we are in Florida February and March...and being ready to do some racing when we get back. I don't plan on it being pretty...but I have to let those old ladies in my age group start worrying again Twisted Evil
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:17 pm

It's been a little over a month since my last post. Recovery is going slow however everyday is a step forward. The Sports Ortho turned me loose a couple of weeks ago. His advice was to bring on impact s-l-o-w-l-y. I started yoga and water aerobics which seem to both work out well. I've been going to the treadmill after yoga, walking for 10 minutes, stretching then walking 1 minute, running 1 minute over the next 10 minutes, then finishing with another 10 minute walk and stretching. I've been doing this little workout for two weeks now...and it's going to be a long road back. I guess I knew that...but somehow that get's pushed back into a dark corner of the mind.
I really like the water aerobics and hope to springboard from that into swimming and water running. It's going to take a few more weeks before my stamina is back enough to get a full lap of the pool eeked out without drowning!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Good for you for persevering and being patient enough to let your body recover and get back to it. I am sorry it's such a long road.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum