365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

The Door to the Glue Factory...

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Door to the Glue Factory...

Post  John Kilpatrick on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey - great to hear from you! I guess I didn't realize how long of a process it would be either, but glad to see that you are able to get in the pool. Sounds like you are progressing nicely. Hang in there...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Traveller on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Glad to hear the progress is being made.

We are all here for you.

[Just getting caught up. Sorry to read of your problems. Here's hoping for a full recovery.]
Traveller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Still making slow progress. Trying to keep a pattern that will move into a habit. Water aerobics Monday and Friday, yoga and treadmill Tuesday and Thursday (up to 2 minutes running/1 minute walking after a 10 minute warm up and 10 minute cool down). I managed 1.75 miles today on the TM. The AT was not happy during the running intervals. Iced it good when I got home. Deflated.

Saturday I walked 1/2 mile (outside on the asphalt), ran 1/4 mile, walked 1/4 mile (repeat X3)...first time outside. Only discomfort that day was the knees the first running segment. Breathing was a problem as well. But basically I felt really excited...guess I was due for a let down.
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:03 pm

It's good to see you making steady progress Paula Sue. No matter that it may be slower than you'd like with a few steps backward. You're getting there.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm starting to smell way too much like chlorine! However, the one thing I have noticed from water aerobics and water running (yes, I've added a little of that now), my achilles isn't stiff like it used to be. Tomorrow I'm going to try a little run/walk in the neightborhood after yoga. I'm not going to try the treadmill again until weather throws me on it.
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Glad to heat things are coming along! Don't worry, you have until Spring 2013 to be ready to meet me in Huron!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:27 pm

This week I finally broke into endorphen territory Very Happy

• Monday and Friday I had excellent water aerobic workouts
  • Tuesday I laced up the sneakers: 1/2 mile fast walking warm up, 1/4 mile run: 1/4 mile fast walking X3.
  • Wednesday was a rest day...actually a run errands all-day day
  • Thursday I took to the pool: 15 minutes deep water running, 15 minutes running in the 3 foot shallow end to build up leg strength with light impact, 15 minutes deep water running
I finished up the week going with Todd and another couple to Randy's Races. It's a memorial race for Randy Raker, a very active Toledo Roadrunner that died with brain cancer quite a few years ago. In the past I've always run the 10 miler here. I decided I would sign up for the 4 miler. I put myself in the very last row of starters so I wouldn't get over jealous. My plan was to walk the first 10 minutes then run/walk depending on how I felt. I figured I'd probably be walking the full last 2 miles. WELL, I managed to walk the first 6 minutes and then I just had to run. I ran to pass three walkers then took a short walk break. Then I ran to pass one more walk/runner. Then walked again for a minute or so. I ran again to pass 4 walk/runners. You get the idea. When I ran out of people to pass, I picked out a point to run to, then a point to walk to. I can't tell you how much FUN I had getting back into motion. I could feel my AT grumble a bit when I walked however once I'd start running again, it felt much better. Toward the end of the 4 miles, I could feel the grumbling a bit while I was running too...but definitely NOTHING like I'd experienced while the AT was torn. The awards were handed out at the finish line. And, yes, I came in 1st in my (old lady) age group What a Face. Compared to my past AG wins, I felt like I backed up to get this one...but what was I going to say? "Uh, no...I didn't run like I like to run so...Uh...no...I'll pass on this today". Instead it was more like "Are you kidding?" They weren't.
The highlight of this race (other than FINALLY being in a race!) was when the lone Kenyan that was running the 10 miler passed me just as we were both coming upon the finishline. It is always so amazing to me to see these talented athletes glide as if they were on air. I wish I were as talented. The whole scene thrilled me...made me know I'M BACK...I"M SO HAPPY bounce
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Traveller on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Great news! Thanks for sharing!
Traveller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 pm

As usual, 2 steps forward, 1 step back:

The week following the 4 miler, I had a good 2 mile run/walk on Tuesday. Wednesday I began having AT pain again, so I decided it just wasn't my time yet. So I stuck with the pool until my scheduled skin cancer surgery Nov. 29th.

I had two positive skin biopsies on my nose after my first visit back to my dermatologist. I decided it would be better to have the Mohs surgery after my AT was well on the mend. Unfortunately, one of the two basil cells was a reoccurance from a non-Mohs removal some years ago. I had thought it would be the easiest to remove. I was very wrong. It took most of the day, so the second skin cancer removal is scheduled Jan. 11th.

In the meantime, I couldn't get in the pool until the incision was healed, and I didn't feel like running either. The incision was good enough by Monday (this week) to get back into water aerobics. I had a good workout and plan to resume my M-W-F routine.

During my lay-up, I decided to attack the running differently. I had sent for a timer that I can set to buzz at intervals of my choosing. I decided this would make me start back slowly. So my plan for this week (and probably next) is to run 30 seconds, walk 30 seconds and gradually increase the mileage. Today was the first run. I ran 1 mile using the 30:30 and it went very well. I'll increase the mileage to 1.5 or 2.0 miles Thursday. Saturday is our clubs Christmas run and I hope to run 3 miles using the 30:30.

So once again I'm feeling positive. Hopefully the Mohs surgery scheduled Jan. 11th will at least allow me to keep up with my running plan. AND hoping my AT will cooperate as well. I still have those two races in the FL Keys in my sites for Feb and March!
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Paula Sue. I hope you are still getting in the pool and on your feet. Skin cancer sucks! Good luck on your next surgery.
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top