365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resurrecting Chicago

+17
Jim Lentz
jon c
ChasMcG
Seth Harrison
JohnP
John Kilpatrick
Ken Mello
Julie
Mark B
Natalie
Paula Sue
Mrs. Schuey
mul21
Kenny B.
Jerry
Schuey
Tom H
21 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Resurrecting Chicago - Page 7 Empty Re: Resurrecting Chicago

Post  Tom H Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 am

Hey Julie, grandbaby is absolutely fantastic in every way. Yesterday's workout was Grandad 101. Multiple hours of holding the baby close and patting her on the back, looking at her beautiful face in wonder and amazement. Then looking at my daughter when she and her husband are sitting together holding little Becca; I can't help but feel so proud of them.

Jim, thanks for the feedback. I like the way you think and these next two months are going to be interesting to say the least. The hard part is going to be pushing just hard enough but not too much. I can still feel that there is something down in the AT region, and am trying to keep it really stretched out and icing post-run to keep it from becoming an issue again.

Today was an interesting and great run. I dropped back to 6.5 miles after the last two 10 mile runs but upped the pace. Why, because the last two runs at the LHR constraint really were tough ones in a number of ways. The worst part was that it didn't feel right in terms of form, and I wanted today to find the form again. So I gave myself another 6 bpm in HR to play with and ran the distance at an average pace of 8:40. Instead of the 143 HR I've been running, today's was 147 with the last 3 miles at 149. Mile splits as follows:

1 8:18

2 8:37

3 8:44

4 8:50

5 8:42

6 8:55

7 8:40

I must have gotten back in better form as the increase in running efficiency - adding an average of 4 bpm but dropping average pace by almost a minute - was substantial. And unlike recent runs, when I finished this one, I was not tired at all, in fact I was energized.

Sooooo, I'm hoping I'm onto something and that this was not simply a fluke. I've got those 4 days of enforced rest coming up, and am putting the positive spin on it that it will allow whatever is niggling away in the lower leg will have a chance to heal.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:02 am

Nice work, Tom! A change of pace (in pace?) might be just what you needed.

Enjoy your "enforced rest."
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Had a great time fishing in Alaska bringing home 50 lbs of fillets of Salmon, Halibut and cod. Looking forward to some tasty meals from that fish!

Got home about midnight on Tuesday and was really looking forward to Wednesday's run. Took off early in the morning when it was still overcast and cool for 7 mile run. Ended up doing a progressively faster set of splits as I warmed up and felt the mojo working. I really have some catching up to do and need to feel good about the runs, so for now am doing just that and not focusing on the HR aspect as I have for the last 9 months. Felt great at the end. Splits from yesterday as follows:

Split
Avg Pace
9:19
9:07
9:02
9:00
8:50
8:44
8:14

Today was a swim/run combo and started out with a 2000 yard swim in 42 minutes. After the drive home hit the road and ran 6.4 miles only as I had time constraints due to an appointment with my sports podiatrist, but again ran them focusing on form and feeling, not on HR. Turned out to be an average pace of 8:22 which is 7 seconds faster than I ran in Eugene - not sure what to think of that. But happy with the results, especially since the run followed the swim.

Distance
Pace
8:48
8:30
8:15
8:20
8:17
8:09
7:58

The interesting run will be my LSD this weekend where I will need to dial back the pace a bit. I'm hoping that this series of runs with faster pace will remind my body of proper form and I'll be able to translate that to good form at the slower pace. I do believe that the thing that brought on the AT issue was form, and that somehow I had changed something when I went back to the LHR based runs. With not a lot of time left until Chicago, and I DO still want to run it, I need to focus on getting the miles in at whatever pace works. I went the whole Eugene cycle without bumping up the pace except for a few runs at the very end, so it'll be interesting to watch how this all plays out.

The visit with the podiatrist was a follow-up, and was very brief as I was able to report that I was running and not really experiencing any pain that was worth discussion.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:37 am

I posted this over in the health thread, but wanted to keep a record of it here in my blog as well.

Body fat percentage is not a topic that gets a lot of discussion here, but there is the mention now and again. I’ve been working on shedding some of the additional weight over the past year and have been exposed to multiple methods of measuring body fat and found that different measurement techniques can provide significantly different results. Today I experienced a hydrostatic measurement that is accepted as the gold standard methodology of determining body fat. Since I was going to get the hydrostatic result, I also wanted to get results from the other methodologies to see how they compare, and thought I’d share them here. So immediately prior to the hydrostatic weighing, I used my home scale and made a visit to my local gym.

Methodologies:

Home Scale – a Homedics model (Tri-Fitness Plus HealthStation) that does weight, body fat %, total body water, Basal Metabolic Rate and Muscle Mass %. Body fat is measured using Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) as measured on the bottom of your feet.

Gym – Had a very experienced personal trainer measure the body fat using the both the Caliper methodology and by using a handheld BIA instrument. Weight was determined using a standard Doctor’s office style scale.

Hydrodensitometry or Hydrostatic weighing – Basically, this methodology weighs you underwater after you completely empty your lungs of all air. It requires 3 measurements to be identical to provide an outcome, so if you don’t empty your lungs completely each time, you may have to take more than 3 readings. By knowing your weight when dry (they too used a standard Doctor’s office scale) and then determining your weight fully submerged, you can figure out the exact amount of body fat.

Results:

Method

Weight
Body

Fat %
Home (BIA)
7.5%
Gym (Caliper)
13.5%
Gym (BIA)
15.1%
Hydrostatic
10.08%

The Hydrostatic result is the one I was really looking forward to seeing and am quite happy with the result. It tells me I’m in a good place (Athletic/Excellent on the charts) but do have some fat left to lose and still remain in a healthy range. I was a bit surprised that the home scale came out closer than either the Caliper or higher end BIA measurement, and to the credit of the home scale manufacturer in their manual they indicate the scale measurements may differ from caliper or hydrostatic, but that changes in body fat % will be reflected accurately. Of all of them, the one I have least confidence in is the Caliper method as it is totally dependent upon the person doing the measuring. I had one person measure me on 5 separate occasions and saw small and consistent reductions in the BF%, but when that person left and a new person started doing the measurement, my BF% took a 10% jump. The BIA techniques, either the home scale or the handheld at the gym, both provided a steady trend measurement that while not entirely accurate, did provide feedback that things were moving in the right direction.

So I now have a baseline and know that I can drop as low as 142 and still have a ‘healthy’ amount of fat.

Last edited by Tom H on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am

Congrats grandpa...remember to spoil the kid but I am sure you already knew that. Good to see you are back at it and the AT isn't giving you any fits.

Were the salmon running big time? We missed the start of the salmon run by about 2-3 weeks when went back in June to Alaska. I really wanted to see it, I heard it is pretty cool to watch.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 am

Hey Joel. The salmon were running big time when we were up there. We were at a floating lodge moored within 30 feet of the shore. Usually, there are bears roaming the shoreline there all the time, and bald eagles by the tens. Because the salmon had already entered the streams and rivers, there were no bears to be seen and only a couple of bald eagles. We were fishing in salt water, however, and didn't get to go see the feeding orgy the bears and eagles were experiencing. We did, however, get to see a lot of whales. In one case, they came within about 20 feet of our 18' boat and were blowing and slapping fins and tail. Pretty cool. On the last day, we also came upon a pod of killer whales, but they were focused on chasing the salmon, not putting on a show for us.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Very nice, low BF readings.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Kept my 12 mile LSD today in LHR range with a pace of 9:23. Seems like the faster runs last week allowed me to find my gait I can use for the slower runs now, so happy with that. Reviewed my training log for Eugene and this performance is 5-6 weeks prior to the race for similar runs. What I don't have is the miles behind it and I could feel the run more at the end as a result. Solution is to get in more miles. AT is making itself known, but not painful, and tomorrow is a rest day, so think I should be able to stay on track. These next few weeks are going to be interesting as I'm going to have to push the mileage but balance the recovering AT. My backup race is Napa, but I really want to run Chicago if at all possible.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:13 pm

8 miles today at 9:18 @ LHR. At the end of the scheduled run decided to tack on another 30 minutes, but 10 minutes in came to my senses and reminded myself I'm still building up the mileage, albeit a bit more rapidly than one would normally do, and cut it short at that point. 38 miles in the last 7 days. That is all.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 pm

Glad things are coming around Tom. Steady as she goes, you'll get there. The base you built for Eugene will serve you well in getting back to where you want to be, no need to rush. Even if you're not where you want to be for Chicago, you can run it as an extended long run and target your back up for a BQ if need be.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:14 pm

mul21 wrote:Glad things are coming around Tom. Steady as she goes, you'll get there. The base you built for Eugene will serve you well in getting back to where you want to be, no need to rush. Even if you're not where you want to be for Chicago, you can run it as an extended long run and target your back up for a BQ if need be.

+1

Pushing too hard is probably what got you into this mess in the first place. Let it build naturally, and it will come.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Jim and Mark, I hear what you are saying and I'm trying to walk that line between getting in the miles and avoiding injury. History says I'm not really very good at it, but I've got to learn some day and I'm hoping I'm getting better at it this time around.

Today was 10 miles at 9:30 @ LHR. Miles 1-8 were very consistent but in 9 & 10 the pace did drop off more than I would have liked. History says time will take care of this, so will keep getting in the miles. The run did not feel as fluid at LHR today, so may step up the pace on the next run a bit.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Today was crosstraining working on aerobic base. Coupled the fun of the workout with a visit to baby Rebecca by riding to see her. Ride time was 2:45:00 on a relatively flat route, so was able to keep LHR much of the time. I won't get in many runs of this duration, so hopefully will help fill that gap in terms of aerobic base. I'm going to see how this affects the next couple of runs, if not so much, may incorporate as a weekly aerobic workout.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:58 pm

No apparent ill effects from the long ride yesterday, in fact the run felt pretty good. Had to do an afternoon run today due to scheduling issues and as such ran in warmer conditions than I have been recently. Temps were mid 80's and only a mild breeze such that when running with it, I had the feeling of no air motion at all, so kinda like being in a sauna. Fortunately my route today was a really bendy one, so didn't spend prolonged periods in the 'sauna'. I've said it before, but I've got a lot of respect for those of you who are just waiting for the temps to drop to the mid-80's so you can have cool runs. On the other hand, you'll be much more acclimated to the heat for Chicago if it is another warm year. I think about 3 weeks before the race I'll have to move all my runs to later in the day just in case it is another warm year in Chicago.

So today was 7.5 mile at LHR at a 9:14 pace. I'm OK with that considering the higher temps, having played 18 holes earlier today, and the 45 mile ride yesterday. AT and ITB are both what I consider niggles now and I'm giving them lots of TLC before and after the run to keep them at bay. Sticking to a 4-5 day running week as I think the days off are instrumental in the recovery, but the temptation is strong to go to a 6/week schedule. Having the cross training is a great relief in that regard as it gives me an outlet.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:49 am

Tom H wrote:Temps were mid 80's and only a mild breeze such that when running with it, I had the feeling of no air motion at all, so kinda like being in a sauna. Fortunately my route today was a really bendy one, so didn't spend prolonged periods in the 'sauna'. ... I think about 3 weeks before the race I'll have to move all my runs to later in the day just in case it is another warm year in Chicago.

Training with heat in mind is a great idea, Tom, especially considering how crappy the weather has been in Chicago over the past few years. Better err on the side of nasty.

Resisting the temptation for a /6 pattern would also be a good idea, IMO. Steady progress is the way to go.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Had to make the decision to pull the plug on Chicago. Late Saturday afternoon my AT started aching and got worse as time passed, eventually progressing to a burning sensation. I cannot target anything that brought it on, but felt the better part of valor was to NOT do my 14 miles on Sunday, so took that as a rest day hoping that things would feel better. It was not to be, however, as Monday morning there was still considerable discomfort. With all the training I've lost thus far, there's no way I can hope to give it more rest and still be in any shape to run the race. I think I have simply gone through a couple of cycles of not letting it recover enough before running on it again, then when I do get back on the road, reinjuring it. Disappointing but not a complete surprise with the constant battle this cycle has been. But just for the record: CRAP!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to meeting you Tom. Hope the healing is complete this time around and this doesn't continue to plague you.

I'm wondering if it's the bike that's aggravating it? Seems like this is more of a flare up after a long ride if I remember right. How are your shoes? Still wearing the Frees or any changes in that department?
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 pm

mul21 wrote:Well, that sucks.
I couldn't have put it any better. I was really looking forward to meeting you and the other 365 runners at that race. I don't think it is the bike as I've done a number of long rides without ill effects (and this was an easy ride), and didn't have this pop up until a couple of days later. In the shoe area, on the advice of my podiatrist I moved back to my Brooks from the Frees after the first couple of flare ups, and that seemed to help - until now. I'm really thinking it has just been a very fine line I've been walking between training volume and injury and it doesn't take much step over that line and aggravate the issue.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Oh, man. That stinks!

I'm sorry this training cycle blew up on you like it did. I hope you can get to the root of the problem (one place to start is taking a close look at training loads in this cycle vs. your cycle for Eugene) so you can deal with it and feel like you're making progress again. Let yourself heal and never forget that this is only a temporary setback.

That said, is there any value in running Chicago to just enjoy the mega-event and not worry about your time? Even absent a PR attempt, I bet you'd have a lot of fun meeting up with the 365 gang and soaking up the atmosphere. And speaking from my own experience, I know they'd have fun meeting you.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Mark B wrote:Oh, man. That stinks!

I'm sorry this training cycle blew up on you like it did. I hope you can get to the root of the problem (one place to start is taking a close look at training loads in this cycle vs. your cycle for Eugene) so you can deal with it and feel like you're making progress again. Let yourself heal and never forget that this is only a temporary setback.

That said, is there any value in running Chicago to just enjoy the mega-event and not worry about your time? Even absent a PR attempt, I bet you'd have a lot of fun meeting up with the 365 gang and soaking up the atmosphere. And speaking from my own experience, I know they'd have fun meeting you.

Mark, I thought hard about going to Chicago for exactly the reasons you state - and I'd love to, but I know myself too well by this point. I need to give that AT a really solid rest, and if I was still going to go, I know that I'd push things harder that is healthy.Crying or Very sad
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Hey Tom, Just catching up on your recent happenings. I see that you've decided to not run Chicago because of your AT and ITB. I don't know what kind of treatments that you've tried but I wanted to let you know that I believe that Graston could get you back on track if you were so interested. I found this You Tube video that explains and demonstrates Graston technique on the AT. You could try it at home in just a few minutes and see for yourself how well it works. Click Here
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Hey Tim. It is really only the AT that is the issue at this point. I have had my Graston guy treat it and do get some improvement, but it seems that is in this case a temporary relief and after a couple of weeks the issue resurfaces.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:22 pm

I know it stinks, but I've been where you are (had to pull out of a race due to injury), and although I know I could have pushed through it, I decided not to and I think it was the best decision.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Well Tom it does really suck, was really looking forward to meeting you this October. On the flip side there is no doubt that you are making the right choice by taking the time to heal. Also do yourself a favor during this down time go over your running logs and try to see if you can start to pinpoint where things might have been going the wrong way, so that when you do get back at it you don't make the same mistakes a second time around.

The way I see it is that there will always be a race to run and we all will have a chance to cross paths at some point in the future, but the key for you to run future races is all in the lesson of learning from past mistakes. I have learned over the years that even with a niggle that I try to go back and look at events that lead up to it and see if there was something I could have done differently to avoid the position I have put myself in.

Again sorry to hear about this but it is 100% correct choice to make.

"Once in a while we get shown the light in the strangest of places if we look at it right"
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Tom H wrote:Hey Tim. It is really only the AT that is the issue at this point. I have had my Graston guy treat it and do get some improvement, but it seems that is in this case a temporary relief and after a couple of weeks the issue resurfaces.

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. I know it must have been a huge decision to call off Chicago. I hope you can heal up and come back even stronger.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next