365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cut on Bottom of Foot

+7
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
charles.moman
Julie
ounce
Mark B
carleenp
11 posters

Go down

Cut on Bottom of Foot Empty Cut on Bottom of Foot

Post  carleenp Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:44 pm

I managed to get a gash on the bottom of my foot about 1 inch long between the big toe and second toe on the ball of my foot. It was where I had a raw spot from a blister and I ran with a padded bandage over it. When I removed the bandage the gash was there and bleeding. I guess the bandage cut into the edge of the blistered area or something. Anyway, it is ugly and currently painful.

Has anyone ever dealt with running with such a thing? I'm supposed to run 17 tomorrow and then go to Florida for 10 days where I was planning to run a few times only if I got a chance (I'll be plenty active otherwise swimming and fishing). I already think the 17 probably isn't happening since it is rather sore, but I'm wondering if odds are good for me to be able to do 18 as soon as I get back? I would be off track a bit (because of my 10 day "week" that would put me at about 20 days between real long runs) but I suppose I could deal with it.

Do these things heal quickly? Can a cut be padded up in some way in order to run on it? I'm wondering if I dare try my 17 tomorrow? Opinions?
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Cut on Bottom of Foot Empty Re: Cut on Bottom of Foot

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Sorry, but it sounds like you'd be far better off staying off the foot and giving it a chance to heal.

At this point, the simple torsion of foot during is likely to mess with the healing of that gash. If you treat it nice, the odds seem good for you to get back to running after your vacation.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:54 pm

And the feet have the lowest amount of blood circulation, so that slows the process.

When you said you're swimming while on vacation, I hope that's in a pool and not the ocean or the gulf, if you have to swim.

So, lay back and let your muscles heal as your foot heals!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 pm

ounce wrote:And the feet have the lowest amount of blood circulation, so that slows the process.

When you said you're swimming while on vacation, I hope that's in a pool and not the ocean or the gulf, if you have to swim.

So, lay back and let your muscles heal as your foot heals!

We will be in Key West and have snorkel trips planned, plus guided flat fishing, with wading (although I could cast from the boat if needed). But those are not until Tue through Thur of next week, so I'm hoping it is well scabbed over by then. Otherwise I may be stuck on the boat on the snorkel trips too. Sad But right now it is already closing over OK, so I think it will be OK for salt water by then. It sure does still hurt though!

I might try pool running later this week if the pool at the hotel is deep enough. Maybe I can get a decent workout in without harming the wound that way.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Oh, and go figure that yesterday I was telling my running partners how happy I was that I have had no injuries during my training and that things were going really well. Then I got the gash an hour later. Boo!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:13 pm

I'd lay off the running for a bit and although I'm sorry you're injured at least it's not an overuse injury or something that should put that big of a dent into your running. At least that is how I consoled myself when I smash my knee against my bike and really it didn't hurt my running as long-term as a running injury would have. I hope it heals quickly!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:25 am

Sorry about your injury, but thanks for no graphic photo!
Mark would have a photo AND X-rays! Embarassed
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 am

I'd probably put a piece of duct tape over it and see how that feels. Also, I had a friend recently suggest orajel to kill the pain associated with road rash. I can't wait to try it and may even try it on a cut if I had one on the bottom of my foot. Smile
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:06 am

It is looking much better this morning, but it hurts enough that any idea of running 17 is out the window. I have hope now for maybe some short runs while on vacation though.

charles.moman wrote:Sorry about your injury, but thanks for no graphic photo!
Mark would have a photo AND X-rays! Embarassed

Ha! I actually thought about posting a photo!

T Miller wrote:I'd probably put a piece of duct tape over it and see how that feels. Also, I had a friend recently suggest orajel to kill the pain associated with road rash. I can't wait to try it and may even try it on a cut if I had one on the bottom of my foot. Smile

I'm planning to duct tape it from here on out. The whole area is raw from blistering and duct tape is my usual solution for that. I love the oragel idea! If it looks healed but is still a bit sore, I very well might give it a shot!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:42 am

Depending on how deep it is, I've heard of using super glue to close up minor cuts. But I'm talking minor/shallow. Nothing deep.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Depending on how deep it is, I've heard of using super glue to close up minor cuts. But I'm talking minor/shallow. Nothing deep.

I've done the super glue thing before with paper cuts. It rocks for that! This one is a bit too much of a cut for it to work well on though I think.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Well, Tim beat me to it, but duct tape was my answer as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Depending on exactly where it is, I've found that cutting out a piece of the shoe (an old pair, hopefully) does the trick. Ran my last half marathon with half a shoe because of an insanely painful cut on my toe.
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Make sure to keep it clean. I cut the bottom of my foot once and ended up with a blood infection. It wasn't cool.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:46 pm

wendy_miller wrote:Depending on exactly where it is, I've found that cutting out a piece of the shoe (an old pair, hopefully) does the trick. Ran my last half marathon with half a shoe because of an insanely painful cut on my toe.

I have been thinking about cutting out a portion on the insole where it rubs to see what happens in terms of preventing more blisters in that area!

Fortunately the foot is all healed now, but with a week off of running before I did a 5 mile hill run yesterday and 20 days since my last long run, tomorrow's 16-18 miler might be on the difficult side. We will see!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:37 pm

carleenp wrote:
wendy_miller wrote:Depending on exactly where it is, I've found that cutting out a piece of the shoe (an old pair, hopefully) does the trick. Ran my last half marathon with half a shoe because of an insanely painful cut on my toe.

I have been thinking about cutting out a portion on the insole where it rubs to see what happens in terms of preventing more blisters in that area!

Fortunately the foot is all healed now, but with a week off of running before I did a 5 mile hill run yesterday and 20 days since my last long run, tomorrow's 16-18 miler might be on the difficult side. We will see!

Good Luck!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Well, I survived a 17 miler, barely. It was not a particularly pleasant long run-I could tell I had taken a week off and had too much time between long runs. On the good side, the duct tape I put over the newly healed area worked fine. On the bad side, duct tape over another problem area bunched up and cut into the top of my toe where the shoe rubbed on it. But I can run on that one and figure it is an anomaly. I have used duct tape on and off for years and that is the first time I had that happen.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Stop with the duct tape and get mole skin.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Mole skin has never worked for me. It doesn't stay on over the area where I need it the most for long enough. I have used duct tape well for years, so I think my issue yesterday was just a fluke. I didn't get the tape put on smooth enough. And then the cut on the bottom of the foot happened the first time I decided to deviate from duct tape and try a new bandage. So no more experimentation for me!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down