365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Boston Get Together

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boston Get Together

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Has anyone planned anything or does anyone have the time/ability to do so? I'll be in town early with my daughter and friend for the Accepted Student Day at BU, so I'll be tied up with them and my Mom (her birthday is 4/22), but I am free for maybe a meet up on Saturday for dinner (I'll have the teens, but they are 18+), Sunday (brunch? lunch? dinner?) or even at the buses on Monday morning just to say "hey". Unfortunately, I have to fly home on Monday night, but I don't like to leave my daughter home alone (I know she is almost 19, but still) too many nights and they leave on Sunday.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston Get Together

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:37 am

I'm free and really hoping to meet everyone. Saturday dinner through Sunday lunch, any time is good.

EDIT: Staying just outside of Framingham at the Residence Inn.

Last edited by Mike MacLellan on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Lisa and I would be up to meeting up with people also. We are not current when we will be in town since we are driving. Lisa doesn't like to fly so I thought that this year it would be cool to drive to Boston.

We should be getting into town either Friday night or early Saturday. We also decided to stay somewhere new this year, I can't remember the name of the town. Lisa will have to post it but I do know that we are staying 6 miles from Hopkinton State park, which will be nice so I can sleep in and it won't be a hurry to get to the park to catch a bus. Looks like this is going to be the place we will stay in the future also.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm available Sunday Afternoon, but not Saturday Night (PTCRC dinner).
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:29 pm

I'll have people tagging along, and I'm planning on heading to the expo early Saturday afternoon. Worst case, can someone come up with a specific meeting point for race morning in Athlete's Village? If someone is computer savy, could we get an overhead view of the area and pinpoint a spot to meet?
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:34 pm

@Bob wrote:I'll have people tagging along, and I'm planning on heading to the expo early Saturday afternoon. Worst case, can someone come up with a specific meeting point for race morning in Athlete's Village? If someone is computer savy, could we get an overhead view of the area and pinpoint a spot to meet?

Bob you have friends?

I'll see what I can put together as far as the map and meeting place for Monday morning. I will work on that this weekend or tonight if I get the chance at work. Hopefully it is a quiet night due to most markets being closed for Good Friday outside of some CME products and SGX, TSE and TIFFE.

Last edited by Schuey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Anybody running the BAA 5K? I may run it leisurely if I can score a bib. Very Happy
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 pm

@Schuey wrote:
@Bob wrote:I'll have people tagging along, and I'm planning on heading to the expo early Saturday afternoon. Worst case, can someone come up with a specific meeting point for race morning in Athlete's Village? If someone is computer savy, could we get an overhead view of the area and pinpoint a spot to meet?

Bob you have friends?

I'll see what I can put together as far as the map and meeting place for Monday morning. I will work on that this weekend or tonight if I get the chance at work. Hopefully it is a quiet night due to most markets being closed for Good Friend outside of some CME products and SGX, TSE and TIFFE.

Nope, no friends, it's my wife and aunt.

And why are the markets closed because of your good friend?
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 pm

@Bob wrote: And why are the markets closed because of your good friend?

Hahaha! Razz
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:39 pm

@Schuey wrote:Lisa and I would be up to meeting up with people also. We are not current when we will be in town since we are driving. Lisa doesn't like to fly so I thought that this year it would be cool to drive to Boston.

We should be getting into town either Friday night or early Saturday. We also decided to stay somewhere new this year, I can't remember the name of the town. Lisa will have to post it but I do know that we are staying 6 miles from Hopkinton State park, which will be nice so I can sleep in and it won't be a hurry to get to the park to catch a bus. Looks like this is going to be the place we will stay in the future also.

We are staying in Westborough.....it will nice to see everyone!!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:40 pm

@Bob wrote:
@Schuey wrote:

Bob you have friends?

I'll see what I can put together as far as the map and meeting place for Monday morning. I will work on that this weekend or tonight if I get the chance at work. Hopefully it is a quiet night due to most markets being closed for Good Friend outside of some CME products and SGX, TSE and TIFFE.

Nope, no friends, it's my wife and aunt.

And why are the markets closed because of your good friend?

Nice catch! They said since my good friend Bob finally made it to Boston they closed markets!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 pm

OK, here's a map of what I'm assuming is Athletes Village? Perhaps anyone who is familiar with the setup on raceday can pick a spot and mark it somehow? I'm not sure where tents are, port a potties, etc.
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott C on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 pm

@Bob wrote:

Bob: I'm not tech savvy enough to mark the photo, so I'll try with words. If you assume top of picture as North, Left West and so on, AV is mostly the green open areas immediately to the west of the two school buildings. There is a fence to the east of the track. Spot the access road at the bottom of the picture. Everything west of the fence and north of the access road at the point it turns 90 degrees west (immediately south of the track) is "out of bounds" and is not used. Entrance for bus drop off is either from (i) a gate off the south access road at the most southwestern point of the school buildings or (ii) in the parking lots in front of and in between the two school buildings (or on the east side of the picture using my designations).

OK. The microphone guy, quasi stage and the "hopkinton - the race starts here" sign are all just to the east of the white stands area on the east side of the track (this could be a meeting place.) Tents will be just to the east of that, running on a north-south axis. Porta-potties are everywhere. I typically hang out at the baseball diamond (north, middle of the picture, just north of the stage area), usually between home and first base (good wind protection can be had). This also could be a meeting place.

If someone more skilled than I can put a pin on the (a) picture, please do so.

Scott C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Had some fun with it. Didn't include drop-off 2, as it seems like a large area and I didn't want to blur out half the picture with it.

Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Great job Scott and Mike! Well done.
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Well it looks like this noble effort by Michele to get people together was sidetracked by Bob's query about meeting in the Athlete's Village. So let's get it back on track, shall we? This isn't going to happen unless someone steps forward ...

I'll be in Boston this year, but am not running the race. I opted to run a local marathon here on Sunday May 6 instead. As it turns out ... I won't be able to run it either as I'll be out of the country. Such is life. Now on to the options to break bread together ...

It late and it's lame, but the Food Court in the Prudential Center Complex needs no reservations and would allow folks to come and go at their leisure on Saturday evening. Let me suggest 6pm-8pm with the sweet spot for arrival at 6:30pm. Even though it's lame, I offer to be there for the duration and convene the event ... that is if a few of you reply herein saying that you're good for this option.

An alternative (and one preferable to the food court) would be to do the same at The Plough & Stars on Mass Ave between Central Sq & Harvard SQ in Cambridge. This is my favorite Irish pub in Boston (and there are a lot of good Irish pubs to pick from), with live music, a decent dinner menu, a Sunday Brunch option, and no reservation needed. It's further from the major hotels than the lame Food Court, but you can take the T or drive in if you're not staying in Boston proper.

Anyway - there are two concrete options for your comment. I commit to convene the group at whichever venue is amenable to more folks - or somewhere else if anybody else has a suggestion. SO WEIGH IN and we'll see you on Saturday evening or Sunday brunch before Patriot's Day.
KBFitz
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:20 pm

I'd be up for Brunch.
My wife is running the 5K on Sunday Morning, I'm still trying to score another bib.
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm happy there is a Sunday afternoon brunch option. I'll be in Boston Saturday but my daughter is coming for dinner so I definitely need to devote that time to her. But Sunday afternoon should be good. I admit I am very apprehensive about running Boston gastronomically and am not sure what to do about food the day before. The main problem is my body is used to let's say eliminating prior food early in the morning or at noon. But noon will be smack in the middle of the race and I don't want this to be the first race I need a potty stop at.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Regarding after the race - is the tradition at Chris' room? I also saw the note from GregC about Fenway - is that a brand new thing this year?
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Prefer Saturday. Sunday is doable.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Open, but saturday is preferred I guess.
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 pm

My hotel is right near there. I could make it Saturday.
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:47 pm

@JohnP wrote:Regarding after the race - is the tradition at Chris' room? I also saw the note from GregC about Fenway - is that a brand new thing this year?

I would think BOTH would work well. Come stop my my room post-race and head to Fenway in the evening. I'll post my room number when I have it but I'm staying at the Hyatt which is right there by the finish. We just head straight there post-race. Showers and really getting cleaned up is for a different party.

PS If anyone wants to meet up with myself, Schuey, Matt Wiltse and MVW, we'll all be meeting up at the Hopkinton State Park parking lot area pre-race (not sure of the exact meeting time yet) and then riding into the AV area from there on the shuttle. Happy to try and meet up at AV itself but that place is truly a zoo so it will be tough even if everyone agrees on a location in advance.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:17 pm

@Chris M wrote:
@JohnP wrote:Regarding after the race - is the tradition at Chris' room? I also saw the note from GregC about Fenway - is that a brand new thing this year?

I would think BOTH would work well. Come stop my my room post-race and head to Fenway in the evening. I'll post my room number when I have it but I'm staying at the Hyatt which is right there by the finish. We just head straight there post-race. Showers and really getting cleaned up is for a different party.

PS If anyone wants to meet up with myself, Schuey, Matt Wiltse and MVW, we'll all be meeting up at the Hopkinton State Park parking lot area pre-race (not sure of the exact meeting time yet) and then riding into the AV area from there on the shuttle. Happy to try and meet up at AV itself but that place is truly a zoo so it will be tough even if everyone agrees on a location in advance.
Let me know. That's my plan coming from Woburn.
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next