365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those last couple runs in Boston...

5 posters

Go down

Those last couple runs in Boston... Empty Those last couple runs in Boston...

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:21 am

Hi all.

Looking for a place to do a 4-miler in Framingham, preferably starting at the Residence Inn (where 90 meets 9). Looking at Google streetview, it appears that one can run on the sidewalks along 9, but is there something more... scenic?... that anyone has done?

Also, safety concerns? I'll be running in daylight (morning) Sat/Sun. My girlfriend will be, as well.

Really hoping to avoid the TM. Thanks!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Those last couple runs in Boston... Empty Re: Those last couple runs in Boston...

Post  wrichman Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:22 pm

If my memory serves me correctly from my growing-up years, there are side roads off Rt.9. Unfortunately, it is a very commercial area with lots of traffic. yuck.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Those last couple runs in Boston... Empty Re: Those last couple runs in Boston...

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:42 am

Mike, Rt 9 isn't really the best to run on. If you're staying in Framingham why don't you just drive over to Rt 135 and run 4M on the course.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:06 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Mike, Rt 9 isn't really the best to run on. If you're staying in Framingham why don't you just drive over to Rt 135 and run 4M on the course.

People are fairly good at making room for runners, but yeah, running on Rte 9 wouldn't be my first choice. If you really want to not drive anywhere, Route 30 would be OK if you can hightail it over there, if it's early. But it is a pretty well traveled road by mid-morning, with no sidewalks. Since it's the two of you, you may be better off headed to the industrial park across Route 9 from your hotel (by Bose).

Even if you do have a car, to be honest, that section of the course on 135 isn't really anything scenic, other than the excitement of being on the course itself. I would drive to Hopkinton and run from the town square. If you're by yourself, you can check out that downhill 1st mile, recognizing of course that you'll have to run back up it. But, there's no sidewalk, so if your GF is with you, you'll be running single file. Several sideroads with little traffic and/or sidewalks probably present a better option.

Or, I would drive to Wellesley, maybe starting by the park in the center of town, by the town hall, just after 135 and 16 merge and before they split again. The roads and sidewalks there are wide enough that you would be fine, and it's much prettier there than in Ashland, Framingham or Natick.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:46 pm

You can drive to my Mom's in Natick and run from there Wink. It's too bad that I am really booked on Friday, or I would drive out to you since you are really only 15 min from where I'll be on Friday and Saturday. My daughter and I have to go to the "accepted students day" at BU on Friday, or I'd be there to take you to the course.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm pretty comfortable on roads with stupid amounts of traffic, so I'll see what looks good and probably play it by ear. I doubt I'll have access to the rental car to get too far from the hotel unless my parents decide to go out to coffee/brunch while I run.

And awww, Michele! You shouldn't have mentioned that. Now I'm lamenting what might've been. What a Face

EDIT: Then again, I won't even be in town until Friday night anyway (the days in question are Saturday and Sunday), so that would've played a factor in it, too. Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down