365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Closer to the Edge

+36
wendy_miller
jon c
Stephanie
ChasMcG
Jim Lentz
fostever
Mrs. Schuey
Bob
Joel H
Penelope
Chris M
Alex Kubacki
Nick Morris
JohnP
Peg Coover
Michele "1L" Keane
healdgator
Julie
Diego
Tim M
Michael Mitchell
mul21
Admin
GregC
Mark B
Vivian
Kenny B.
Schuey
Matt W
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
Neil Ruggiero
Mike MacLellan
Jerry
Seth Harrison
Dave-O
40 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Closer to the Edge - Page 3 Empty Re: Closer to the Edge

Post  Dave-O Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Nice week of running knowing when to pull it back a bit! When doing the heavy mileage you do I got to think this becomes crucial in your training.

Thanks Kenny.

healdgator wrote:I see you are blaming the wife (for not running) already. Spoken like a true veteran.

I learn quickly. In fact, I blame my left hip injury on inbalance caused on my left side due to this ring. She didn't find it funny.

Mike MacLellan wrote:More strokes than miles. For shame...
In reality: I know that it's taken a few years for you to get to the point you're at, but I'm still envious/mind-blown that your week 1 is approximately the same mileage as my peak this summer will be.

Really though, this week just boiled down to a lot of doubles. 94 miles divided up over 13 runs isn't too difficult. It just requires a lot of showers and laundry.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Jerry beat me to it, but that is all I think of when I read your blog title.

Dammit. That's an unfortunate confusion.

Julie wrote:Glad you're pain free! You were seeing a PT for your hip, weren't you? Are you done with that?

Can't imagine running twice a day but obviously you get great results from it!

I graduated from PT, but have been doing the home exercises he prescribed 3x per week.

Peg Coover wrote:

Twice as many miles as my peak will be!!

Shocked

It's all relative...to some, my 94 miles would be a taper week. affraid
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Updated CARA race circuit standings after 7 of 16 eligible races:

Overall male:
1. C. Ware - 70
2. D. Wilson - 43
3. D. Strubbe - 35
4. J. Jonaitis - 34
5. N. Hird - 33

Male 25-29:
1. C. Ware - 75
2. D. Strubbe - 65
3. N. Hird - 39
4. M. Flaherty - 28
5. M. Macaulley - 27

Now make no mistake, many of the runners behind me would crush me head to head. I'm in 3rd based mainly on the numbers of races run (6 of the 7 thus far). However, your top 10 races count, so quantity does matter. I can score in 4 more races, or improve upon my points in the 6 so far. Then it will depend on whether those behind run enough races to close the gap.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:04 pm

So how does Chad have twice as many overall points than you, but only 10 more points in age group? Is there a scenario where you could win the age group, and he could win the overall?
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:21 pm

GregC wrote:So how does Chad have twice as many overall points than you, but only 10 more points in age group? Is there a scenario where you could win the age group, and he could win the overall?

Because I've been placing well in my age group but not so great overall, where he has been dominating both categories.

Chad's run 5 of the 7 and has won the age group each time. So that's 5 races at 15 points each = 75. In other words, he's on track for a perfect 150 in the age group, provided he runs 5 more races. And he will.

I've taken 2nd (14 points), 3rd (13), 3rd (13), 5th (11), 5th (11) and 13th (3) = 65. So I'm averaging 10.8 points per race, on track for 108.

Overall, Chad's scored 70 points in 5 races, so he's averaging 14 points, or 2nd place overall, per race. I've scored only 35 points in 6 races, which means my average overall finishing place is 9-10th.

In other words, I've been getting beat by a lot of non-25-29 year olds. Does that make sense?
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Dave - your CARA standings are fantastic. Keep up the good work.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Good job on the CARA standings, Dave, that is pretty cool.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 am

Chicago Training, Week 2: June 20 – 26

Monday: 5 miles – 37:23, 7:29 pace. 9 miles – 1:01:47, 6:52 pace. With week one in the books, and my legs mostly recovered, it’s time to get back to triple digits. And I hope to stay there for 14 weeks. I don’t want to tie myself down to a specific goal for the 15 weeks of Chicago training (excluding taper), but it’s definitely over 1,500. 1,600? 1,650?

Tuesday: 5 miles – 37:13, 7:26 pace. 13 miles – 1:28:20, 6:48 pace. I was dreading this one all day. Not because of any particular soreness, but because the summer humidity was out in full blast. I considered breaking the run up into half inside/half outside, but I decided to suck it up and start getting acclimated to the Chicago summer. It isn’t going anywhere. About 4 miles into my run, I crossed paths with a teammate of mine; he turned around and joined me for a few miles. We then ran into 2 other Fleet Feeters, so we had a nice group of four humming along at a 6:40 pace. I stayed with them until mile 10, where I had to turn off the path and head home. Really, other than not having water for the last three miles, the conditions weren’t as bad as I feared.

Wednesday: 5 miles – 37:21, 7:28 pace. 7 miles – 49:30, 7:04 pace. It took a week and a half, but my easy runs are actually starting to feel easy. In hindsight, a 94 mile week to “recover” from the half wasn’t the best idea. Remind me of that next time I try to transition right into a training cycle.

Thursday: 5 miles – 37:16, 7:27 pace. 13 miles – 1:22:03, with 10 miles – 59:42, 5:58 pace. Welcome to the first installment of my 10-mile tempos! Considering I haven’t run a sub-6:40 mile in nearly two weeks, I had modest expectations for this one. My only goal was to finish it in less than 60 minutes, which really, doesn’t even qualify as a “tempo.” I also stuck to the treadmill for because there was chance of a storm hitting the lakefront, and well, because there’s a chance I’m a sissy and like controlled environments for speed work. Anyway, I started off at 6:15 pace and gradually increased the speed into the 5:40’s. I think the run was tougher mentally than physically, though I will admit that muscular fatigue did creep in the last 3 miles. Perhaps its wishful thinking, but a nice linear progression on these runs for the next 4 weeks would do wonders for my confidence.

Friday: 5 miles – 38:04, 7:27 pace. 8 miles – 55:52, 6:59 pace. My evening run ended at PAWS, the local pet shelter, where Britt and I added another kitten to the family. That brings us to three – Riot, Ritz and Skiba (pronounced “skee-ba”). Go ahead and call us crazy cat people. I’m not ashamed.

Saturday: 16 miles – 1:47:00, 6:41 pace. 70 degrees; sunny; slight breeze; and low humidity. Where do I sign up for that weather all summer long? It was just perfect. The only downside is that I wasn’t the only one with the bright idea to enjoy the day on the Lakefront path. With the Taste of Chicago now underway, the stretch from Grant Park through Fullerton was a complete zoo. If I had it my way, I would ban: (1) texting while walking on the path; (2) walking more than two abreast; (3) those ridiculous four person carts/bikes that tourists rent and clog up half of the path; and (4) segways. Breaking these laws would be punishable by walking the plank into the lovely Chicago River. Does that sound elitist? I really don’t care. I’ve had enough of the shitheads on the path. After making it through North Avenue beach unscathed, I was able to enjoy the last 6 miles of my run, and can say for certain I was far less fatigued than I was on my 14 miler last weekend.

Sunday: 5 miles – 36:33, 7:19 pace. 10 miles – 1:08:37, 6:52 pace. After wasting too much of my Sunday watching online Continuing Legal Education courses – ethics ones, no less - I was going a little stir crazy. I needed to get out of the house, and frankly, out of the city. I hopped in my car and drove out to Waterfall Glen for an easy 10 mile loop. I don’t know if it was because of the soft, crushed limestone, but I was surprised how fresh my legs felt. I was holding back to keep the pace “easy” as the miles just flew by. Though the round trip cost me an hour and a half because of traffic, it was well worth it. I couldn’t have ended the week on a better note.

Week: 106
YTD: 1,949
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:45 am

Tuesday: 5 miles – 37:13, 7:26 pace. 13 miles – 1:28:20, 6:48 pace. I was dreading this one all day. Not because of any particular soreness, but because the summer humidity was out in full blast. I considered breaking the run up into half inside/half outside, but I decided to suck it up and start getting acclimated to the Chicago summer. It isn’t going anywhere. About 4 miles into my run, I crossed paths with a teammate of mine; he turned around and joined me for a few miles. We then ran into 2 other Fleet Feeters, so we had a nice group of four humming along at a 6:40 pace. I stayed with them until mile 10, where I had to turn off the path and head home. Really, other than not having water for the last three miles, the conditions weren’t as bad as I feared.

Ain't that how it goes sometimes. I find when I want to take it indoor but go outdoor it ends up being the right decision. Like you said Chicago heat ain't leavin'.

Thursday: 5 miles – 37:16, 7:27 pace. 13 miles – 1:22:03, with 10 miles – 59:42, 5:58 pace. Welcome to the first installment of my 10-mile tempos! Considering I haven’t run a sub-6:40 mile in nearly two weeks, I had modest expectations for this one. My only goal was to finish it in less than 60 minutes, which really, doesn’t even qualify as a “tempo.” I also stuck to the treadmill for because there was chance of a storm hitting the lakefront, and well, because there’s a chance I’m a sissy and like controlled environments for speed work. Anyway, I started off at 6:15 pace and gradually increased the speed into the 5:40’s. I think the run was tougher mentally than physically, though I will admit that muscular fatigue did creep in the last 3 miles. Perhaps its wishful thinking, but a nice linear progression on these runs for the next 4 weeks would do wonders for my confidence.

You like controlled environment. Would you take a tempo run indoors if you lived on rolling hills? I hear you though. Thankfully, I have some fairly flat grounds around me as well as some rolling if I choose. I have gone indoors on very hot/humid days for tempo run 1 or 2 x. Shhh

Saturday: 16 miles – 1:47:00, 6:41 pace. I would ban: (1) texting while walking on the path; (2) walking more than two abreast; (3) those ridiculous four person carts/bikes that tourists rent and clog up half of the path; and (4) segways. Breaking these laws would be punishable by walking the plank into the lovely Chicago River. Does that sound elitist? I really don’t care. I’ve had enough of the shitheads on the path. After making it through North Avenue beach unscathed, I was able to enjoy the last 6 miles of my run, and can say for certain I was far less fatigued than I was on my 14 miler last weekend.

Yes to #1, yes to #2, and yes to #3. In my area I would band the dogs on a leash that are 10' long so they can still bite my ass. Sounds elitist but you kind of are in running terms. alien

Nice week of running!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:50 am

Looks like a great week of training Dave. I agree with you on your path etiquette and have had some of the same issues a few times. Seriously, what some of these people thinking???
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 am

Another solid week, and for some reason, those numbers are starting to look saner to me. The miles, that is, not the paces.

I'll throw in another +1 for path etiquette. People here are the exact same way.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Another nice week, Dave. Your week 2 is still higher than my best week ever. I'm going to have to join the triple digit club one of these days. While there are many times I wish there was something like the Lakefront Path here, at least I don't have to deal with crowding in the places where I do run. That's got to be frustrating, especially on days where you want to run fast (or just get done). I can see why you like to have controlled conditions. I'm sure you'll have a nice progression on your paces of the longer LT runs since you've always excelled at those longer tempo runs and improved over the course of a training cycle.

Yes, I'll call you a crazy cat person. You even have one named after a Cardinals player. Very Happy Of course, when I was growing up, there were times after kittens where born when we would have 20+ cats. Since we lived on a farm, they could stay in the barn and we gave away most of the kittens though.

Keep up the good running.

Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Good week and really nice Thursday run. Path monsters suck and people are, in general, idiots.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:33 am

Add me to the list of those who agree with what the rules on the paths should be. Nice job in the training.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Damn, Dave. You are right where you need to be, I think.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:11 pm

The running looks great Dave.

Online CLE? Just poke my eyes out with knitting needles right now.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:24 am

Slacker! Really that's all you got?

Really great week Dave, glad to see that things are starting to come back together for you! Keep it going one week at a time buddy.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Closer to the Edge - Page 3 Empty Skiba!

Post  Chris M Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Skiba! Nice nod to A3!!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Just stopping in to say hello. (Hi.) It looks like you've had another solid week of training again. Good luck with the weekly 10 mile tempo runs. At least you have a good album to listen to to make it into a sort of routine.
This is a dumb question, but on the lakefront path, for your laws or whatever, what are the segways? Anyway, keep up the great work!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:23 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Looks like a great week of training Dave. I agree with you on your path etiquette and have had some of the same issues a few times. Seriously, what some of these people thinking???

They aren't thinking. Their head is firmly entrenched up their asses.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Another solid week, and for some reason, those numbers are starting to look saner to me. The miles, that is, not the paces.

The paces come with the miles...

Matt W wrote:

Another nice week, Dave. Your week 2 is still higher than my best week ever. I'm going to have to join the triple digit club one of these days. While there are many times I wish there was something like the Lakefront Path here, at least I don't have to deal with crowding in the places where I do run. That's got to be frustrating, especially on days where you want to run fast (or just get done). I can see why you like to have controlled conditions. I'm sure you'll have a nice progression on your paces of the longer LT runs since you've always excelled at those longer tempo runs and improved over the course of a training cycle.

Yes, I'll call you a crazy cat person. You even have one named after a Cardinals player. Very Happy Of course, when I was growing up, there were times after kittens where born when we would have 20+ cats. Since we lived on a farm, they could stay in the barn and we gave away most of the kittens though.

Thanks Matt. Though Britt would not be pleased with you after that Cardinals comment.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Good week and really nice Thursday run. Path monsters suck and people are, in general, idiots.

Thanks John.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Add me to the list of those who agree with what the rules on the paths should be. Nice job in the training.

I think all runners agree to rid our running paths of idiots!

Mr MattM wrote:Damn, Dave. You are right where you need to be, I think.

I hope you are correct.

Natalie Wolf wrote:The running looks great Dave.

Online CLE? Just poke my eyes out with knitting needles right now.

24 hours of CLE done in 14 days. That was NOT fun.

Schuey wrote:Slacker! Really that's all you got?

Really great week Dave, glad to see that things are starting to come back together for you! Keep it going one week at a time buddy.

That's just week 2 my friend.

Chris M wrote:Skiba! Nice nod to A3!!

I wondered if anyone would get it, or ask what the name meant. We had to stick with our last name theme.

Closer to the Edge - Page 3 Skiba10

Penelope wrote:Just stopping in to say hello. (Hi.) It looks like you've had another solid week of training again. Good luck with the weekly 10 mile tempo runs. At least you have a good album to listen to to make it into a sort of routine.
This is a dumb question, but on the lakefront path, for your laws or whatever, what are the segways? Anyway, keep up the great work!

Hi.

These are segways, and they drive me fucking nuts on the lakefront path.

Closer to the Edge - Page 3 Segway10
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Looks like 2 solid weeks in the books. I can't wait to see you break 2:30, it has been a long time coming but you will get there.

By the way, what are some of the options for next Spring?
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:55 pm

One of these days, I'd like to ride a segway.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Dave-O wrote:

These are segways, and they drive me fucking nuts on the lakefront path.

Closer to the Edge - Page 3 Segway10

Come on Dave. Look how happy they all look!
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:15 pm

My orange windbreaker is barely fitting anymore. I better get back to running soon.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Chicago Training, Week 3: June 27 – July 3

Monday: 6 miles – 45:07, 7:31 pace. 9 miles – untimed. The framework is in place; now it’s times to get serious about the mileage. Perhaps that means I should have charged my Garmin, which died about 30 seconds into my evening run. Thankfully I’ve taken this 9 mile route home approximately 1,237 times and know the mile markers.

Tuesday:5 miles – 36:22, 7:16 pace. 14 miles – 1:27:34, with 10 miles – 58:32, 5:51 pace. With 4th of July weekend coming up, not to mention the Cub-Sox series at Wrigley, I wanted to be sure to knock out my 10-mile tempo early in the week. What better time for it than coming off back to back double easy day, and from the moment I started I felt better than last week. My first five miles of 6:02, 5:58, 5:56, 5:53, and 5:52 were actually how I envision these runs going – moderately hard yet still relaxed. Instead of pushing the effort, I want to focus instead on running comfortably and efficiently at this speed. With this goal in mind, I resisted the urge to speed up until after 8 miles. The second half of the run went 5:51, 5:52, 5:46, 5:39, and 5:38. My average pace of 5:51 is only 7 seconds quicker per mile than last week, but much easier.

Wednesday: 5 miles – 37:57, 7:35 pace. 9 miles – 1:04:01, 7:07 pace. Finally, in the last week of June, our summer softball league got underway. (It was delayed three weeks to allow the spring league to finish.) That meant I refueled from my easy runs with Tecate and 25 cent wings. Delicious! Even better, we kicked off the season with a resounding victory. Though I almost lost my baby-maker on a line drive back to the mound – making the catch primarily out of self-defense – it was great to be back on the diamond.

Thursday: 6 miles – 44:29, 7:26 pace. 14 miles – 1:32:25, 6:36 pace. I rarely complain about work, because frankly, I know I have it pretty good. I am almost always able to schedule my running around a flexible 8-9 hour workday. Today though, I got stuck late due to an injunction that needs to be ready for filing immediately after the holiday weekend. So be it. Though it meant starting my long run later than anticipated, I got it all done. And by “all,” I’m including my last three continuining legal education hours. For those scoring at home, that’s 20 miles, 10.5 billable hours, and 3 CLEs today. I slept soundly.

Friday: 6 miles – 44:46, 7:28 pace. 4 miles – untimed. I was a little late starting my first run because I had to wait around for the granite supplier to show up and take final measurements. Yes, we’re in the midst of gutting and redoing our kitchen, and I can’t wait for it to be done. Anyway, with a date to meet my parents and sister in Wrigleyville for lunch before the Cubs-Sox series, I only had time for 6 miles. I was ahead on the week so I was fine with cutting the run a few miles short. What probably wasn’t fine was the 4 easy miles I did after spending about 8 hours celebrating the start of a 4-day weekend. I got them done, but they weren’t fun. Or in a straight line.

Saturday: 18 miles – 2:01:58, 6:47 pace. For the first time this summer, the weather forced me indoors. By the time I was ready to run, it was 90 with humidity that I didn’t even need to look up to categorize as “ridiculous.” I opted for the cool and crisp 63 degree conditions in Wicker Park Fitness, and I can’t express how pleased I was with that decision. In fact, I felt bad for the people I’d see run by with looks of misery on their faces as they melted in the soupy conditions. Look, I’d rather be a hamster on a wheel than suffering through those conditions for 2 hours. As for the run, my main goal was not pace, but rather, to be on my feet for 2 hours. Done and done.

Sunday: 6 miles – 44:27, 7:24 pace. 8 miles – 55:26, 6:56 pace. I’m not going to lie – it’s a good feeling knowing you only need 14 easy miles to cap off a 110 mile week. After the morning run, Britt and I spent the day floating around in her Dad’s pool. Following a nice BBQ, we met at a friend’s house for fireworks and of course, more drinking. But first, I dutifully put in my 8 miles. It was a nice, easy and slightly hilly run, and the Dogfish Head and wine went down smooth after a solid week of training.

I’m almost ashamed, but this was my first 110 mile week this year. I don’t want to pump my chest over hitting an arbitrary round number – especially one that contained only 10 fast miles – but this one meant something to me, a sign that my volume is fully back to where it needs to be.

Week: 110
YTD: 2,059
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

You gotta love a great pitching matchup that winds up 1-0 in favor of my team and your best fantasy pitcher. If the Blue Jays or any other team with an offense had these pitchers, they would be crushing the competition. The Angels have, by far, the most underrated pitching lineup in baseball. On ESPN, all I hear about are the Giants, Phils and AL EAST pitchers.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next