365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Boston Runners - a Tribute from Amby Burfoot

Go down

Boston Runners - a Tribute from Amby Burfoot

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 pm

If you haven't seen this, it is worth reading as it basically commends us all for being just a tad crazy:

http://footloose.runnersworld.com/2012/04/congratulations-2012-boston-finishers-you-ran-brilliant.html

Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston Runners - a Tribute from Amby Burfoot

Post  Gobbles on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Hah!
Doesn't apply to me, but I did have a crash and burn plan. Wink

A heat adjusted qualifying time, I would love to see BAA Facebook light up on that comment. LOL!
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:35 pm

I am at work and can't access this article. However, mentioning Amby Burfoot brings back memories.

Back at the 2008 Chicago marathon, I had the pleasure of sitting next to Amby Burfoot at the V-team dinner. The forecast was for it to be a hot day, up into the 80's. Amby was advising all of us to adjust our plans accordingly. Being the stupid novice marathoner that I was at the time I thought no way, I have done the training and this is my first BQ attempt. I am sure you all know what happened...crashed and burned big time at the half way point and pretty much walked it in almost 30 minutes slower than my goal.

I will have to read this article when I get home.
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:54 pm

I agree with him that most of those that finished, did so by adjusting their race plans. The thing is that when he said that he didn't see anyone collapsing at the finish line, it is because they had already collapsed at mile 15...

In all honesty I commend everyone that took on the challenge of running in those conditions. I have been in them before and they can be brutal...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down