365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Long Hot Summer

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Long Hot Summer

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Nick - If you were, you'd know that "bikers" are motorcycle riders. Bicyclist shortens to cyclist. What a Face

Noted...told you I wasn't a "cyclist"
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm chicken on the bike - I hit the brakes on the downhill like a 6 year old girl!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Michael Enright wrote:I suppose it's fun on the way down!

I actually like the uphills. Of course, at my age (55) the thought of crashing while going 30+mph downhill has no appeal whatsoever..affraid
Tim C
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Tim C wrote:

I actually like the uphills. Of course, at my age (55) the thought of crashing while going 30+mph downhill has no appeal whatsoever..affraid

Maybe it's something about being 55 then!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Michael Enright wrote:
Tim C wrote:

Maybe it's the desire to hold on to your original teeth as long as possible?
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:
Tim C wrote:

Maybe it's the desire to hold on to your original teeth as long as possible?

C'mon now guys...y'all aren't that old Rolling Eyes
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:00 am

Been awhile since I've posted. Moved out of Davis. Been busy. Woke up this morning with my outer metatarsal all sorts of fucked up and can barely walk. Great. Did I mention I haven't run since Tuesday?
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:45 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Been awhile since I've posted. Moved out of Davis. Been busy. Woke up this morning with my outer metatarsal all sorts of fucked up and can barely walk. Great. Did I mention I haven't run since Tuesday?

Sounds like things are going well Crying or Very sad
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 pm

That sucks.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:26 pm

A bit of an expansion...

Took Thursday off as a "day in bed" with Aileen. We haven't spent a lot of time together off the bike/not running, so I thought I owed her a day of nothingness. So, of course, I was restless and stressed a bit about my upcoming move the entire time. Overall, a good day, though.

Woke up and got movin' yesterday. Started packing immediately after breakfast, started stressing immediately after that, went on a very uneventful 20mi recovery ride with Aileen, then moved. Once that was done... I felt much, much better. We went to the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield, took the tour, and bought candy. I tasted a centipede-flavored Jelly Belly and, not surprisingly, it tasted like centipede. This was in honor of us all recently watching The Human Centipede - WARNING: A VERY, VERY FUCKED UP MOVIE. Got to Antioch and watched So You Think You Can Dance - gotta admit, it's growing on me - ate Jelly Bellies, and went to bed.

Then something happened that left me with ouch. I have NO idea how this occurred, but I woke up this morning and couldn't walk without a severe hobble. Here are the symptoms:
-No discoloration.
-No swelling.
-Dull ache when at rest, increases when load-bearing.
-If on ball of foot, hardly any pain.
-If midfoot striking, ouch.
-If stretching toes up, ouch.
-If pulling the outside (5th metatarsal) up, ouch.
-If flexing toes (contracting), no pain.
-If flexing the 5th metatarsal down, no pain.

This doesn't really seem like a stress fracture to me - it almost seems more muscle/connective tissue. Mark? What a Face

---

So, my plans for a 3hr run while Aileen was at a meeting for work went out the window. Good thing, because I really didn't want to run, anyway. I haven't wanted to run much since the century ride... All I want to do is get on the bike and go. Crossed my fingers that the foot would be okay on the bike... And hey, it was! So I headed out for a 62mi ride that Aileen and I planned on doing a long time ago but never got around to doing.

Not too much to write home about, aside from the 11mi into a stiff 15mph headwind. Narrowly avoided something dead while bombing a 7% hill at 47mph, and felt pretty damn good when I pulled into the driveway 3hr33min after starting. Average speed 17.4mph, 2500' gain/loss.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Woefully behind on following everyone's training and I hope to get back to that Monday and Tuesday. Been very introspective and self-centered about life lately. Go figure.

---

1hr easy run. Foot was decent this morning, and after a 20min massage it felt good enough to test. No pain whatsoever the entire run, just a dull ache sometimes as if I'd kicked the wall and bruised it. 7.28mi, 8:14 pace. Felt yesterday's ride - creaky start and overall fatigue.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 pm

Back at the parents' house until late August. Dad requested that I help out with framing a couple job sites he's got coming up, so I figured I'd pocket a few bills while in between leases.

Uneventful 400mi drive with only a little bit of impatience as I hit city of Commerce traffic just 40mi from home.

---

55min fartlek run. Just kind of went out with 45-50min planned, whatever felt good, and some uptempo work felt good. I think it was because I ran the local lake loop, around which were many, many runners... So the excitement of being home motivated me to start chasing down fellow runners and toying with them a bit before gapping them. I know, mean. But hey, it was a great workout for me. Most intervals on an incline (1-5%) and 2-5min long @ 5k-HM effort.

---

No idea what I'm going to "train" for next. Right now I'm just enjoying doing 2 long bike rides every week and running whenever I feel like it in between. I'm somewhat leaning towards a Thanksgiving 10k - I've never "properly" trained for a 10k before - as Aileen wants to run one, too. It'd be cool to see if I can actually do something impressive. We'll see.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:08 am

Ooo! Something impressive might be coming from our young Mr. MacLellan? Very cool!

Just don't accidentally shoot a hot-dipped galvanized 3-incher through your foot, okay? Shocked
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Mark - I know, it's a rarity, but just maybe. Seeing 6:00min/mi average would be nice, but I'll take McMillan's equivalent of 37:37 (equiv for a 6:45 pace marathon). And most of the framing I do is metal. So it's just having to worry about shooting track. Eep.

---

2hr ride this morning. I really wanted to just blow it all and go for every single possible add-on segment on this ride, but I decided to keep to the basic loop. The possible add-ons are: a 10mi out-and-back (3-4% average gradient with sections up to 7-8%), an extra 2 hills at 6-7% with an awesome oak-canopy-ed luge between them. Gonna save those sections for a couple weeks from now.

Rode the 4 big hills at sub-threshold for 26min total in that zone (each hill was 4-7min long) with a little tempo ramp up and easy in between.

36.75mi, 2.5k' gain/loss, 2hr5min total time.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Had a good bicep/tricep workout at the gym yesterday afternoon. Was very careful not to overdo it as I tend to do the first time back after a long hiatus. I feel good and only mildly sore today.

I admit my diet has gone into the shitter since I've been home. Actually, it goes into the shitter around 11pm every night. Yum, vegan ice cream. Yum, Oreos. All the things I couldn't afford up north. That said, before 11pm, it's aces.

I spent the morning semi-watching the Tour (still haven't finished the stage, don't tell me what happens!) and transcribing Hudson's 14-week 10k plan into an Excel spreadsheet. I chose level 2, for a few reasons. I'm new to structured speed work, there's 1 rest day per week, and it doesn't look too daunting. Level 3 just looked like a little too much. I felt a huge sense of focus as I diligently color-coded all the workouts and mentally went through each day. I plan to race a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. Yes, this is taking the place of CIM. Just don't have the motivation to slog through more 20-milers right now.

Anyone used this plan before? Thoughts? It looks well-rounded, perhaps slightly heavy on the tempo work, but I respond well to tempo.

---

Oh, and actual running! 5mi recovery w/ 3x 8sec hill sprints. Felt like a goober zooming by my street (the street it spills into is like a 9-10% grade) over and over, but felt SO good to be running fast and smooth.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Late night icecream, nice. Jerry loves it.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Hahahaha, if I could train/race like Jerry, I wouldn't mind it so much. Alas, I'm not quite as lucky to race well.

---

I forgot it's been ~3 weeks since my last long run. So 13.8mi kind of hurt today. Not bad, just was noticeably flagging by the end. Probably didn't help that this is 7th day in a row with no rest and it was pretty warm out with little/no shade.

8:16 average pace, didn't look at the watch once.

Rest day/first day helping Dan (my father, what I actually call him on a day-to-day basis) out tomorrow.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Hitting the gym Tuesday and Wednesday + starting construction Friday = dumb idea. Man, I didn't think I worked out that hard, but apparently my shoulders and chest weren't used to ANYTHING. Talk about sore. Got lucky with a reprieve - half-day. Looks like it'll be a pretty easy week next week, too.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Planned 2hr bike ride with Aileen's dad this morning. Aileen had to babysit her niece and nephew - which I'm currently "helping" with - so just the boys today.

We hit the ground pedaling pretty hard, each pulling for 2-3min at a time. My HR was already hitting my subthreshold zone, but it was fun to just get out and do a "real" ride. We eased up considerably once getting off the river path and headed through Whittier towards the hills.

Took the hill easy until an older guy passed me and I had to keep up with him, so we rode together and chatted for a bit before he turned around (before the top...?). Headed back easy to the riverbed again.

A group of 5-6 were doing a pretty good pace line and came by us, so I worked a little to chase them down - debating in my head whether or not I wanted to ride with them and possibly look rude by just sitting on their wheel - but a traffic jam in the bike path brought us all back together. I ended up cycling through the pace line and took a pretty massive pull (for me) - 24mph average into a headwind for about 3min. Afterwards, as I spun back onto the end, I got a few "nice pull"s and "good job"s. An easy 10-15min brought us back home.

Total time, 1hr52min, just under 32mi.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Sounds like a fun ride!

I'm a sucker for late-night snacking, too. There's only one solution for it, alas. Go to bed earlier. pale
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Alright Mike I have a lot of catching up to do with your blog. I'm making it a priority to find out what has been going on with your running/training.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Mark - Yep. Fortunately, with work now, I can't be so reckless on the nights before, so that's some required discipline there. And 1 day per week ain't bad. So I tell myself. What a Face

Schuey - Get on it!

---

5mi + 4x 30sec strides today. Recovery effort run, averaging 8:45 before the strides. Got way up onto my toes for the last 2 strides and felt pretty smooth.

Then an hour and a half ride with my dad this afternoon. Slow and steady, recovery effort for me, and my dad seemed to get a good workout in, so it all worked for the best.

Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:52 am

So this is why you're all so lazy with your updates... Working + running + family = no time for anything. I know, we're all thinking it: it's about time Mike got a day job. At least, I'm thinking it.

Other than being tiring - hey, it's construction - work isn't bad. And the few moments that it is, I just think of how good I have it to be paid cash and given the freedom to set my own schedule, if I really want to.

With that said, here's the training of late:

Monday: Ran 7.15mi after work. My jobsite is right near these two manmade lakes in the heart of Irvine, so I mapped the route around them and doing a figure-8 + 1 loop of the north lake is around 7mi. I was zipping along pretty good from the beginning, so I ran it as a fast-easy/GA run, averaging 7:4x. A couple miles were in the 7:1x range. Then drove to Aileen's sister's place (she was babysitting), made fish tacos, played Rock Band with the kids, and hit the sack.

Tuesday: Realized that I could make a "work out" out of working. So instead of strictly sticking to my job position (supervision), I chipped in with some heavy lifting, sledge-hammering, and the like. I would've done this regardless - it's boring for me to stand around all day and pretty demoralizing for the guys I supervise - but thinking of it as a workout helped keep me going. After work, got home and hopped on the bike for a canyon ride. Ended up briefly riding with 3 guys, two of whom I dropped (one rather quickly) and one who was actually very strong and gave me chase for miles before I finally caught him. 33.xx miles in 1hr56min. With lots of climbing.

Wednesday: Ran 5.0xmi with Aileen after work. Definitely felt the week catching up with me, compounded by the fact that I truly had to just supervise all day, so I never really got out of that morning funk. Just over 9min pace. Aileen was zapped by the end, having not run in a couple weeks.

Today: A day off! Other jobsite needed the laborers, so my option was a day off or standing around trying to make myself busy for 8hrs today. The latter wasn't going to happen (there's not much I can do by myself up there), so I slept in until 7. Planning to do a ride with Aileen when she's up and kicking and a run later in the afternoon.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:58 am

Yeah you'll definitely get a workout doing some contruction work. Is it outside or inside work?
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Alex - We're indoors right now. I've done a bit of everything (worked my way up over 4 summers, then spent 2 years as a superintendent after college), including manual labor outdoors in the middle of summer with no shade. That was rough.

---

Really nice recovery ride yesterday morning. 18mi, 1hr3min. Had a guy ride on my wheel into a headwind for about 3mi, then when we parted ways, didn't say a word to me. What a dickwad.

Afternoon was a 8.25mi progression run. First 3.5mi were pretty suck, until I ran by these two high schoolers who just blurted out, "How many miles?" When I said 9 total but on number 4 right now, they both went wide-eyed and said, "Daaaaaamn." I forgot that this whole distance running thing isn't normal. Either way, gave me a little boost to help get my turnover up for the second half of the run. I saw a guy at the bottom of the big hill on the way back to my parents' house - probably about 1:30 ahead of me - so I tried to chase him down. He was holding a good clip, and I was hurting to catch up, until he started walking about 150m short of the top of the hill. Seriously? Flew by him at that point.

---

Rest day today. Worked, but not too bad. Vegas Sunday-Wednesday!
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top