365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

marathon decisions.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: marathon decisions.

Post  ounce on Wed May 02, 2012 11:07 pm

@Bob wrote:Easy guys, she's just trying to get info on a marathon. And besides, she's already got a man in her life.

Who was kind enough to take the picture.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren on Thu May 03, 2012 11:13 am

Aw, Bob. You got that framed yet? Very Happy

Beer mugs for Houston may have sealed the deal although Bahamas is tempting. However, I don't think I'd really feel like running in the Bahamas. Ha.

One more thought-New Orleans? It's in the rock n' roll series which brings down the attraction for me but I was told to think about this one too. It's later though, in March. hmm.
Lauren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 am

@Lauren wrote:Aw, Bob. You got that framed yet? Very Happy

Beer mugs for Houston may have sealed the deal although Bahamas is tempting. However, I don't think I'd really feel like running in the Bahamas. Ha.

One more thought-New Orleans? It's in the rock n' roll series which brings down the attraction for me but I was told to think about this one too. It's later though, in March. hmm.

New Orleans? Definitely no, cause most of their gangsters moved to Houston already.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren on Thu May 03, 2012 11:17 am

But I DO like the looks of this. Smile
Lauren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Thu May 03, 2012 11:18 am

March is RISKY in the deep south. It could be in upper 60s/low 70s at the start and hit into the 80s by the end with VERY HIGH humidity....I am talking 70-90% humidity. I wouldn't do it if you are wanting to run a fast time. Dec/Jan/Feb are the best times to attempt a marathon down south.
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren on Thu May 03, 2012 11:21 am

@Joel H wrote:

March is RISKY in the deep south. It could be in upper 60s/low 70s at the start and hit into the 80s by the end with VERY HIGH humidity....I am talking 70-90% humidity. I wouldn't do it if you are wanting to run a fast time. Dec/Jan/Feb are the best times to attempt a marathon down south.

Okay, good. Off the list. Thanks. Smile
Lauren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu May 03, 2012 11:48 am

Schuey is also attractive, and may or may not be there (yep, just called you out on your help to pace my first sub-3, Martin!).
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren on Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Bummer. I don't have a qualifying time since Boston put me 6 min after what I needed for that one. Maybe next year!
Lauren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu May 03, 2012 12:12 pm

I would tell you to stay away from New Orleans as well. I ran it and I loved it, but Rock 'n Roll is in charge now and I'm not happy with their policies of letting slower runners take the sag wagon at mile 20, get dropped off at 23 and finish and get medals! Also, the roads are not in good shape and I was constantly looking down at my feet as as not to trip. And as others have said, it can be warm at that time of year although it was pleasant enough when I ran it in 2010.

CIM would be a good option, but if that doesn't work, seriously think about Rocket City as it is within driving distance and the same weekend as CIM.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 pm

As Reina has told me before about CIM, it has a ton of hills, as that chart indicates. Maybe she'll chime in on this thread.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 pm

@ounce wrote:As Reina has told me before about CIM, it has a ton of hills, as that chart indicates. Maybe she'll chime in on this thread.

Yes; I've been told that you have to be prepared to handle the hills, but if you are, it can be a very fast course. Not too unlike Boston, really.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren on Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Michele, I just looked at Rocket City earlier and it's pretty appealing. Four hour drive, hotel RIGHT by the start, 30's at start and 50's at finish last year. Nothing but positive reviews on marathon guide. It's strictly for the marathon so caters to runners and not as much of a big event type feel like the rock n' roll.

Ps....New Orleans picks up runners and allows them to finish and still get medals? Interesting. Wow.
Lauren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu May 03, 2012 1:19 pm

@Lauren wrote:Ps....New Orleans picks up runners and allows them to finish and still get medals? Interesting. Wow.

This tends to be a Rock 'n Roll or competitor.com policy and apparently has occurred at many races including recent ones in DC and other races. There were many posts on the Marathon Maniacs and Runner's World boards.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:Schuey is also attractive, and may or may not be there (yep, just called you out on your help to pace my first sub-3, Martin!).

Well thanks Mike! Are we talking about CIM this coming Dec.?
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri May 04, 2012 4:29 pm

@Lauren wrote:Michele, I just looked at Rocket City earlier and it's pretty appealing.

I'm attractive (or not) and will be at Rocket City (or not).

Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Rocket City is great!!! The perfect cocktail to follow a hot TN summer. It is a very fast course because you can accelerate off the small 20-30 foot rolling hills. You can make hotel reservations right at the start. The race is organized by runners who love running. Great hot soup at the finish. Great fall foliage. Only 1 big hill and that's only 2% grade for half a mile.

I have run it twice, once when it was 62 at the start and once when it was 32. Training in TN helped me handle both occasions with ease. It should definitel ybe on the "To Do" list. Scott K. has also run it 1-2 times.

Look up the Mountain Mist 50k if you want a fun trail race in the same area. Ben Z and I loved it.
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren on Sat May 05, 2012 3:09 pm

@Diego wrote:Rocket City is great!!! The perfect cocktail to follow a hot TN summer. It is a very fast course because you can accelerate off the small 20-30 foot rolling hills. You can make hotel reservations right at the start. The race is organized by runners who love running. Great hot soup at the finish. Great fall foliage. Only 1 big hill and that's only 2% grade for half a mile.

It's DEFINITELY on my to-do list. Really came close to doing it this year but coach says Jan timeframe is better, so Houston it is. Excited though! Talked a fellow DWD teammate into doing it also so I think it should be a good time.

All this talk and searching on the marathon guide website has put several new ones on the list. Too many races, not enough time! Very Happy
Lauren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob on Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 pm

@Lauren wrote:
It's DEFINITELY on my to-do list. Really came close to doing it this year but coach says Jan timeframe is better, so Houston it is. Excited though! Talked a fellow DWD teammate into doing it also so I think it should be a good time.

Yay, Tom!!
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon May 07, 2012 11:12 am

@Lauren wrote:
@Diego wrote:Rocket City is great!!! The perfect cocktail to follow a hot TN summer. It is a very fast course because you can accelerate off the small 20-30 foot rolling hills. You can make hotel reservations right at the start. The race is organized by runners who love running. Great hot soup at the finish. Great fall foliage. Only 1 big hill and that's only 2% grade for half a mile.

All this talk and searching on the marathon guide website has put several new ones on the list. Too many races, not enough time! Very Happy

Nifty. Holler, if I can help.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top