365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Garmin tax on course measurement

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Garmin tax on course measurement

Post  Jeff F on Mon May 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Another option, stop being so obsessed with time and PR's and run for the enjoyment. My goals are now more of a range of possibilities, so focusing on knowing my exact pace/time for each mile is not as relevant.
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon May 14, 2012 2:23 pm

@Jeff F wrote:Another option, stop being so obsessed with time and PR's and run for the enjoyment. My goals are now more of a range of possibilities, so focusing on knowing my exact pace/time for each mile is not as relevant.

Thanks, Jeff, but I'm not to that point, yet. I've been a perennial 6 hour marathoner. I've lost 50 pounds in the past 17 months and have set 3 PR's in as many races (2 5K's and 1 marathon). I want to see how far that will take me.

I guess I'm doing half of your suggestion. PR's do bring enjoyment and I do like running. Smile
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW on Mon May 14, 2012 3:26 pm

@ounce wrote:
@Jeff F wrote:Another option, stop being so obsessed with time and PR's and run for the enjoyment. My goals are now more of a range of possibilities, so focusing on knowing my exact pace/time for each mile is not as relevant.

Thanks, Jeff, but I'm not to that point, yet. I've been a perennial 6 hour marathoner. I've lost 50 pounds in the past 17 months and have set 3 PR's in as many races (2 5K's and 1 marathon). I want to see how far that will take me.

I guess I'm doing half of your suggestion. PR's do bring enjoyment and I do like running. Smile

There's an awful lot of middle ground between being "obsessed" and running for "enjoyment." Precision on training runs really isn't very improtant. How you're going to do on any given run will vary day to day. Run by feel, and as long as you're staying true to the overall intent of the run (te,mmpo run, GA run, long run, whatever), being within 5 - 15 seconds/mile or being off by a tenth or three on distance due to GPS error really doesn't matter.

On race day, if you do have a definitive race plan, hitting the lap button at the mile markers will do two things. It'll help you stay on track for the time goal during the race, and it will help you to see where things went well - and didn't - after the race.

So, whether you turn AutoLap off or leave it on, knowing that the displayed current lap pace is ~5 seconds off due to GPS error will help you out. If your goal is 10:00 miles, run to a displayed time of 9:55 and then you can correct for your goal at each mile marker.
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top