365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love

+15
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Schuey
mul21
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
John Kilpatrick
Seth Harrison
Kenny B.
Mrs. Schuey
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
Tom H
Neil Ruggiero
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love - Page 2 Empty Re: Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love

Post  Neil Ruggiero Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:52 am

A quick running update! (I need to get better at doing this more often lol)

Actually, come to think of it I don't remember the details of all the runs I've done recently, so here's just a few.

Wednesday - 60 minutes, 7.1 miles. Did this inside at the gym because I wasn't sure how the ankle was going to hold up and I wanted to be able to switch to an elliptical if it did flare up. But it didn't so I got the whole run in on the treadmill.

Thursday - 5.36 miles @ 8:27 pace, HR of 148. This was the first time I brought the HR monitor with me out onto the trails. At least on this run I've found that I need to be running ~8:00 miles to keep my HR up around 150! I didn't think I'd have to be running so fast on trails, but I'll take it!
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love - Page 2 Empty Re: Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 am

Welcome back Neil. Nice running hope ankle stays healthy!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Looks like you're getting it back. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Kenny and Alex - Thanks for stopping by! Feeling pretty good after the weekend Smile

So I didn't do much running over the weekend what with all the partying that was going on. I did get a good workout at my party though, playing ultimate frisbee and various other sports. Then today was my first day back, and I got a pretty good run in.

60 minutes, 7.15 miles. Comes out to a 8:23 pace but that includes a few stops to check out the scenery, and getting lost in the woods when my trail just ended out of nowhere. My real average pace was right around 7:58 per mile. Funny thing was I didn't even feel like I was working that hard, just did the pace that felt comfortable.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Sounds like you had a good birthday, bud. Now get back to work! Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

That was a nice run - you will have to quit being a slacker and do what the other trail runners do and post some pictures. I would post some, but pictures of the ghetto, cotton/corn fields, and cows are not that interesting!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Neil Ruggiero wrote:

...I didn't think I'd have to be running so fast on trails, but I'll take it!

Nice!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:22 pm

I've decided you're definitely doing some secret training behind all our backs so you can blow me out of the water in our 1v1.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:33 am

Nice run on the trail, Neil.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:53 pm

No super secret awesome training for me lol. Just been really busy and haven't had much time to do anything other than lurk on the boards recently.

My plan is shaping up to be something like the following:

M, W, F - Short runs, ~4 miles. Then I go to the gym with a buddy and run another 1.5-3 miles and lift weights for a couple hours.

Tuesdays - 60 minute effort
Thursdays - 90 minute effort
Weekend - A long run (2+ hour effort) and a recovery run.

So nothing to regimented or special. I run fast when I feel fast, I do hill sprints when I feel like it.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:51 am

Hey where did Neil go? Hope all is well and running is continuing.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:35 am

Hey Kenny! Running is still going well, but time to post here is still down sadly. I lurk alot, just don't have time to make many posts. I think I'm going to switch to updating my training once per week on the weekend, see how that goes.

So this past week was a cutback week for me, kind of unintentionally too. I didn't record all of my runs, so I can't remember all of them. But I'd say I got about 40 miles in the bank, along with a few more trips to the gym.

This coming week I'm going to make a rare trip to the track to prepare for a 5k on August 13th. That race has a course record of 17:15. I'm relatively confident that I can pull off a 5:33 pace over the course, and hopefully pull off the win, but we'll see!

Also, at the end of August I'm going to be doing a 14 mile trail run up Mt. Toby, and back down. This will be my first trail race and my first race with a good amount of climbing in it (1400 feet over 7 miles) so I'm not sure what to expect of this one. Just gonna go out hard and see what happens.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 pm

We all don't have the luxury to sit in front of a computer all day and post! Nice job on the running and good luck on the 5k!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Have a couple of great races Neil! This coming week I am teaching a CompTIA Linux+ class in CA.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:59 pm

If you're running 5:33s for a 5k, I think you win our 1v1. Shit.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:55 pm

A quick midweek update!

So I did a 5k pace practice run today. I know its too close to the race to get any actual physiological benefits from today's run, so it was mostly a mental and physical check. Can I really run this fast for this long? And do I believe I can run that fast for that long? Yes I do.

I did about a 2 mile warm-up on my way to the local track, then did 8x400 @ 5k pace w/ 400m recovery jog. Here's the split times.

1:14
1:15
1:22
1:18
1:19
1:20
1:19
1:23

My goal for this workout was 1:22, which correlates to a 5:33 pace. This was my first time running hard in a long time, so it was a bit of a shock to the system. But I'm really happy with the results, I actually ran a bit faster than I thought I was going to be able to, and now I know for a fact that I'm in much better shape than when I ran my last 5k two years ago at 5:53 pace.

Oh yeah, I'm ready to go this weekend and proudly represent the 365 Orange jersey!
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:33 am

Neil Ruggiero wrote:A quick midweek update!

Oh yeah, I'm ready to go this weekend and proudly represent the 365 Orange jersey!

Yes, let's get you in the top 3 this weekend. Heaven of a good track workout. You should do quite well!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:20 am

Seriously, you blew that workout out of the water. I think I'll resign the shorter distances to you.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:44 pm

I know I like running longer more than running shorter, but if making running a career is my goal then maybe the shorter distances are the way to go. We'll see.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Yeah man, according to McMillan's calculator, 5:33s in a 5k translates to a 2:48 marathon. Might be time to work on some speed during your long runs after this race Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:28 pm

So I did just have a 5k last weekend. For anyone interested I ran a 17:56 which doesn't really reflect the shape that I'm in. I was sore on the day of, and didn't run the race that I wanted to run, I'll try and get a race report up soon.

Really I just wanted to stop by here to let everyone know that I'm now in the process of getting a divorce. And with that, I'm really going to be making a push to focus more on my running, and the 365 team here. Running has always been a release for me, and now I need it more than ever. So running more is going to be my mantra.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm really sorry to hear it, man. I have a good friend who got married a couple years back and is currently in the late stages of divorcing. Hope it goes as smoothly as it can...
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Dang, I'm sorry to hear about the divorce. It's a tough time for you and running needs to be more of a release than a rigid schedule for you right now. Take care and know we're thinking about you out here.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2