365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 3rd time's a charm!

+28
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Dave P
jon c
Mark B
Joel H
Chris M
Jim Lentz
healdgator
Michele "1L" Keane
Natalie
Alex Kubacki
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
JohnP
ChasMcG
Dave-O
Ken Mello
Matt W
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Tom H
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Kenny B.
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
32 posters

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 12 Empty Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:22 pm

So, I went to the Cardinals Rockies game last night and accidentally got a little bit drinkier than I intended. That resulted in a slow start to the morning and I didn't even start my run until 10:40. Bad idea. I was fine for the first 10 miles, but as I was finishing the loop to stop back at the house and get a drink and change shorts, I ran through the hottest part of the loop. That had me thinking the second one was going to be miserable and I didn't like the way that made me feel last week. So, I changed clothes and headed to the Y to do another 9.75 miles on a mil to get to 20 for the day. Not necessarily ideal considering there was about a 15 minute break between segments, but I got the miles in and didn't give myself heat stroke!

Totals were 20 miles in 2:41:04 for an average of 8:03 pace.

New milestones for the week: first back to back 20s I've ever done and I've logged 80 miles in the last 7 days, which is the most I've done in 7 days by 10 miles.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:15 pm

mul21 wrote:So, I went to the Cardinals Rockies game last night and accidentally got a little bit drinkier than I intended. That resulted in a slow start to the morning and I didn't even start my run until 10:40. Bad idea. I was fine for the first 10 miles, but as I was finishing the loop to stop back at the house and get a drink and change shorts, I ran through the hottest part of the loop. That had me thinking the second one was going to be miserable and I didn't like the way that made me feel last week. So, I changed clothes and headed to the Y to do another 9.75 miles on a mil to get to 20 for the day. Not necessarily ideal considering there was about a 15 minute break between segments, but I got the miles in and didn't give myself heat stroke!

Totals were 20 miles in 2:41:04 for an average of 8:03 pace.

New milestones for the week: first back to back 20s I've ever done and I've logged 80 miles in the last 7 days, which is the most I've done in 7 days by 10 miles.

10:40 is a late start for sure drinking to much bubbly is not a receipe for the elites. drunken I think it was very smart of you to take indoors for the last 10 I'd say better to run 2x10m w/15min rest then 20 feeling like you ran a marathon. Don't think twice about it, matter of fact give yourself a pat on the back. But do not repeat the drinking for the next 20.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Good idea taking it indoors for the second half. Especially considering that you got a late start. But like you said, you got the miles in. Excellent 7 days of running Jim!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Holy smokes - 80 miles in 7 days? That is nuts. And a good 20 miler to boot following a 20 miler? I'm amazed. Great job! You are getting really strong...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Back to back 20s, huge miles, and running on a hangover. You're starting to sound like the ultra crowd, Jim. Welcome to the dark side Twisted Evil
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 am

Nice job on the 20 even if it wasn't ideal. You got the miles in and that is all that matters on 20's. Great job on the last 7 days.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
10:40 is a late start for sure drinking to much bubbly is not a receipe for the elites. drunken I think it was very smart of you to take indoors for the last 10 I'd say better to run 2x10m w/15min rest then 20 feeling like you ran a marathon. Don't think twice about it, matter of fact give yourself a pat on the back. But do not repeat the drinking for the next 20.

In Dave's training group, that's just considered additional training stimulus! lol!

Nick Morris wrote:Good idea taking it indoors for the second half. Especially considering that you got a late start. But like you said, you got the miles in. Excellent 7 days of running Jim!!

Thanks Nick, not a bad week yourself, especially coming off the niggle.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Holy smokes - 80 miles in 7 days? That is nuts. And a good 20 miler to boot following a 20 miler? I'm amazed. Great job! You are getting really strong...

Well, 80 is slightly misleading just because my long runs cam on Sunday last week and Saturday this week. Don't get me wrong, I'm still really happy with the way things went.

Mike MacLellan wrote:Back to back 20s, huge miles, and running on a hangover. You're starting to sound like the ultra crowd, Jim. Welcome to the dark side Twisted Evil

You shut your dirty mouth! There will be no discussion of going any more than 26.2 miles in this blog! Forbidden! lol!

Now, I will agree with you that I am a bit more, let's say adventurous, than many here in terms of behavior and alcohol consumption, but I have zero interest in going any further than a marathon!

Joel H wrote:Nice job on the 20 even if it wasn't ideal. You got the miles in and that is all that matters on 20's. Great job on the last 7 days.

Thanks Joel! What kind of training are you doing these days? I know you decided to go with some shorter stuff (especially during the summer) but you haven't mentioned any races or plans to race that I've noticed recently.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Great week Jim! Common you know you want to run a Ultra, you are just trying to be low key about it Wink
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Schuey wrote:Great week Jim! Common you know you want to run a Ultra, you are just trying to be low key about it Wink

I am waiting for Martin to report back on JFK 50. I have Kevins reports saved I just need one more to finalize my plan Smile
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Schuey wrote:Great week Jim! Common you know you want to run a Ultra, you are just trying to be low key about it Wink

It's ok Jim, I have no interest in running over 26.2 miles either...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:01 am

Nothing like bailing on a workout to start the week! I was supposed to do 10 miles with a 2 x 3 mile tempo and I got halfway through it and bailed because I was getting an extremely painful blister on the top of one of my toes. I've not done anything fast in the shoes I was wearing outside and had never had any problems with them on the mill, so I was kind of taken by surprise that it happened. Oh well, I'll tack on a few miles at the end of the week and maybe go a bit harder on my Wednesday 12 w/3 hard at the end to make up for it.

I did 6.3 miles with 3 @ tempo pace, which were a bit slower than my normal tempo pace due to some hills, but I think the miles were 7:09, 7:06, and 6:50. The rest of the miles were easy and I finished the 6.3 in about 48 minutes.

I think I'm going to try to sneak out of work early after a meeting and get in an easy double today because the rest of the week other than Wednesday is kind of a crap shoot because I'm headed up to Irishfest in Milwaukee for the annual family gathering.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 am

Sorry to hear about this blister cutting your run short. I think you made the most of the run and it is a full week ahead where you can make up the difference if even needed. Your training is going very well so I would not be concerned about this at all. Move on and have fun this week.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 am

Odd about the blister - did you wear different socks or something? Made the right move calling it quits. The week is young!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 am

Sorry to hear about the blister, but at least you got in the majority of your run and are flexible enough to get the rest of the miles in later in the week. Have fun at Irishfest!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:10 pm

[quote="mul21"]
Kenny B. wrote:

In Dave's training group, that's just considered additional training stimulus! lol!

<BLOCKQUOTE>
In wine - there is wisdom.
In beer - there is freedom.
In water - there is bacteria.
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Bummer about the blister. Hope you can run through it.
Irish fest, huh? Hope you can bank some burned calories beforehand!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:38 pm

mul21 wrote:
Joel H wrote:Nice job on the 20 even if it wasn't ideal. You got the miles in and that is all that matters on 20's. Great job on the last 7 days.

Thanks Joel! What kind of training are you doing these days? I know you decided to go with some shorter stuff (especially during the summer) but you haven't mentioned any races or plans to race that I've noticed recently.

Well, I ran a 1 mile race back in May in 6:43 which was about what I expected due to the weather (upper 80s/low 90s and high humidity). Since then I haven't run another race and actually my last race before that was the Houston marathon in January so I am itching to race. Spring/Summer weather conditions have been awful.

Right now, I plan on running 4 1/2 marathons in Oct/Nov and January (2). The first two are 3 weeks apart and the last two are 2 weeks apart. So I will probably race one and use one as a training run between the two sets. That should give me the best odds to get the best racing conditions. No full marathon scheduled for this racing season and I probably won't run one until Fall of 2012/Spring of 2013. I may throw in a 5k/10k in there somewhere but nothing planned. In March I am doing the Texas Independence Relay which is a 10-12 man (200 mile) relay race from Gonzales, TX to Houston, TX. So yeah I am doing a lot of shorter stuff, mainly 1/2 marathons right now which is about as much as I can handle.

I guess I should start a blog, shouldn't I? Thanks for asking.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Sounds like the trend in your training is that you are getting stronger. A blister is a bump in the road, albeit a painful one sometimes. Hope the rest of your week goes smoothly!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Really dude you cut a run short because of a blister? You pussy! lol! lol!

Just joking so good run take care of you blister and get your training in.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:25 am

Kenny B. wrote:Sorry to hear about this blister cutting your run short. I think you made the most of the run and it is a full week ahead where you can make up the difference if even needed. Your training is going very well so I would not be concerned about this at all. Move on and have fun this week.

Definitely a good thing to happen on a Monday and during a step back week, so no big deal.

Michael Enright wrote:Odd about the blister - did you wear different socks or something? Made the right move calling it quits. The week is young!

I think it was the varied terrain and running fast outside as opposed to most of the runs in these shoes being done on a mill.

Nick Morris wrote:Sorry to hear about the blister, but at least you got in the majority of your run and are flexible enough to get the rest of the miles in later in the week. Have fun at Irishfest!!

Oh, I'll be having fun at Irishfest! My dad and I serve beer from noon to 4 on Saturday, so I usually get a good head start with free beer!

Chris M wrote:
<blockquote>In wine - there is wisdom.
In beer - there is freedom.
In water - there is bacteria.
</blockquote>

Those are certainly some words of wisdom! Have you shared that info with your daughter yet? lol!

Seth Harrison wrote:Bummer about the blister. Hope you can run through it.
Irish fest, huh? Hope you can bank some burned calories beforehand!

Not much of an issue after that run Seth. I slapped a band aid on it and different shoes yesterday and I was fine.

jon c wrote:Sounds like the trend in your training is that you are getting stronger. A blister is a bump in the road, albeit a painful one sometimes. Hope the rest of your week goes smoothly!

Me too, I've got a weird schedule this week, so that will be the biggest challenge.

Schuey wrote:Really dude you cut a run short because of a blister? You pussy! lol! lol!

Just joking so good run take care of you blister and get your training in.

Hey, if I'd had a band aid handy, I would have finished the run, jerk! lol!

It's no big deal, just was killer painful that day. Just in a weird spot that was bothering me way too much to keep going. It's on the top of the toe next to the pinky toe on my left foot. Strange spot to get a blister for sure.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:33 am

I was able to slide out of work a little early yesterday and got in an easy 6 miler early afternoon and then did another 4 that I finished up around 9:00 last night. So, with those 2 runs, I'm back on track mileage wise for the week.

Tonight was supposed to be 12 with the last 3 kind of hard, but I think I'll do the last 6 kind of hard and finish somewhere around tempo pace to make up for the lack of quality on Monday.

So, funny story about the kiddo. We were getting ready to leave the house this morning and she was singing "Where is Thumbkin?" which is to the same tune as "Frere Jacque" (sp?). I started singing Frere Jacque, which she wasn't familiar with. She asked what it was and I told her it was a song in French. Her response: "You mean like bon jour?". I laughed my ass off. She's 3 and she knew bon jour was French. Too damn smart!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 am

Funny story, love it. My 5 year old is smarter than me, he just doesn't know it yet.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Beer isn't a carbohydrate anymore? Gees...good think I'm laid up for a while. It's going to take some time to break this habit Evil or Very Mad
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:21 pm

mul21 wrote:I was able to slide out of work a little early yesterday and got in an easy 6 miler early afternoon and then did another 4 that I finished up around 9:00 last night. So, with those 2 runs, I'm back on track mileage wise for the week.

Tonight was supposed to be 12 with the last 3 kind of hard, but I think I'll do the last 6 kind of hard and finish somewhere around tempo pace to make up for the lack of quality on Monday.

So, funny story about the kiddo. We were getting ready to leave the house this morning and she was singing "Where is Thumbkin?" which is to the same tune as "Frere Jacque" (sp?). I started singing Frere Jacque, which she wasn't familiar with. She asked what it was and I told her it was a song in French. Her response: "You mean like bon jour?". I laughed my ass off. She's 3 and she knew bon jour was French. Too damn smart!

Good running, but you know you are crazy, right? I totally get it, but it is funny that you now feel better with your mileage back on track. I'm there right now - drives me nuts when I have to cut something short or don't get the time to do what I think I should. Funny story about this morning - I know the "where is thumbkin" all too well!!!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 am

Paula Sue wrote:Beer isn't a carbohydrate anymore? Gees...good think I'm laid up for a while. It's going to take some time to break this habit Evil or Very Mad

Oh, it's definitely a carb, it's just much more efficient to use it in that manner after a run instead of the night before. That whole night before stuff makes the running much more difficult!

John Kilpatrick wrote:

Good running, but you know you are crazy, right? I totally get it, but it is funny that you now feel better with your mileage back on track. I'm there right now - drives me nuts when I have to cut something short or don't get the time to do what I think I should. Funny story about this morning - I know the "where is thumbkin" all too well!!!!!

Says the guy running with a bum hip! Oh, did I say running, I meant training for a half IM, which I think is nuts, bum hip or not! lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next