365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 3rd time's a charm!

+28
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Dave P
jon c
Mark B
Joel H
Chris M
Jim Lentz
healdgator
Michele "1L" Keane
Natalie
Alex Kubacki
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
JohnP
ChasMcG
Dave-O
Ken Mello
Matt W
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Tom H
Seth Harrison
Jerry
Kenny B.
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
32 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 13 Empty Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:13 am

Well, my legs are completely unhappy with me this morning.

I did my 12 miles last night with a slight modification due to the aborted tempo on Monday night. I did a 4 mile warm up, then started cranking up the mill a bit (it was hot and humid again here yesterday). I went 7:30, 7:18, 7:08, 6:58, 6:49, 6:40 for the next 6 miles, so it was basically just kind of a slow start tempo run. Finished up with 2 miles of cool down.

I wore the new Brooks T7s and really think they're a great shoe. I'm not entirely sure I could wear them for a full, but I'll be racing in those for everything from the half on down for sure. Super light, a decent amount of cushion/support, and they fit me really well too.

This morning, my legs were not really interested in going anywhere in a hurry. Extra slow and creaky for the first mile or so, but once I got a couple miles in, things smoothed out a bit and I got my 6 miles in at 8:58 pace. Long run of 14 tomorrow and then an easy, laid back running weekend while I enjoy myself at Irishfest.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am

More like a progression tempo run I think it serves you well coupled with a total of 12 miles.

I am also new to the T7's where them now on tempo runs and track work. I agree with I would not wear them at this point for anything more then HM. But they are a very nice shoe to have in my arsenal.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 am

Dare I say it was a... HH-style tempo? Either way, putting that back to back with another tempo (even an aborted one) is bound to give you some residual "oof." Good job not pushing it on today's run.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Dare I say it was a... HH-style tempo? Either way, putting that back to back with another tempo (even an aborted one) is bound to give you some residual "oof." Good job not pushing it on today's run.

Not really, unless you count the last 2 miles as the back side of the bell curve. I was certainly down near 10K pace in the last tempo mile though.

I did have a recovery day in there, even if it was a double of 6 and 4 miles. My legs were still not all there though. The weekend will be a nice little recovery break.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:46 am

Love the story about the kid. It is amazing the things they know and say at times!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:56 am

That was a very nice 12 mile run, Jim.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Did a 6 mile recovery run on Thursday morning and I needed it! I was really stiff after beating myself up on Wednesday with the modified tempo run. Got in 6 at just under 9:00 pace.

Got up early again this morning and got in 14 at a pretty good clip. Ended up averaging just a touch under 8:00 over (for me) decently hilly terrain. Had to take a gel at about 10.5 because I was feeling a little bonky and that got me through no problem.

I am now just waiting for the munchkin to wake up from her nap and then we're off to Irish fest in Milwaukee. I'll try to get in a run tomorrow morning, but it's not a big deal one way or the other in terms of mileage for the week. If I get in a 6 miler, I'll probably get to 60 again this week.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Great job this week and have FUN this weekend!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Enjoy the weekend. Its a mental refresher weekend where running is seconday.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:35 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Great job this week and have FUN this weekend!

Dave-O wrote:Enjoy the weekend. Its a mental refresher weekend where running is seconday.

I had a blast this weekend and although there wasn't much running after Friday morning, I think I walked about 400 miles on Saturday between beer serving and 3 year old chasing.

On to the week ahead. I have 10 miles with 6 x 1 mile planned for tonight, pretty much the same workout Chris did last week. It doesn't get any easier after that this week. A total of 78 miles are on the schedule, although I may have to push that to 80 just to beat Jerry's mileage high from last week! lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 am

Uh oh, we've lost Jim to... Shoot, I don't know which stereotypical Irish thing to pick. We'll just say Ireland.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:43 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Uh oh, we've lost Jim to... Shoot, I don't know which stereotypical Irish thing to pick. We'll just say Ireland.

Oh, just go with the standard whiskey and beer. If the shoe fits.....

Unfortunately, no, I am not lost to whiskey and beer (until a 2 week period following October 9th) and will be abusing the crap out of my body this week while hopefully setting a new weekly mileage high.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:46 am

mul21 wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Uh oh, we've lost Jim to... Shoot, I don't know which stereotypical Irish thing to pick. We'll just say Ireland.

Oh, just go with the standard whiskey and beer. If the shoe fits.....

Unfortunately, no, I am not lost to whiskey and beer (until a 2 week period following October 9th) and will be abusing the crap out of my body this week while hopefully setting a new weekly mileage high.

Again, carb-loading via fermented grain. You're an honorary ultra-runner, even if you don't run more than 26.2. Then again, you probably actually do, unless you run the tangents of every course perfectly. Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Does kid chasing count as intervals?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:10 pm

I bet your body appreciated the break...and the carbo-loading Wink

How was Irishfest? A buddy of mine went this year, too.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Does kid chasing count as intervals?

If it doesn't, it certainly should! Especially when there's a bunch of them getting each other all wound up!

Nick Morris wrote:I bet your body appreciated the break...and the carbo-loading Wink

How was Irishfest? A buddy of mine went this year, too.

It was a blast! There's a group that plays there pretty much every year on the main stage called Gaelic Storm that's just a fun group to see. We all usually end up seeing them both Friday and Saturday. It's becoming more of a challenge as the munchkin gets less and less interested in being cooperative late into the night. She used to just fall asleep in her stroller, but no such luck anymore!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Last night was the 6 x 1 mile workout and the day did not start off well. I must have eaten something bad either late Sunday night or Monday morning (still have no idea what) and was having some major GI issues all day. I decided to go ahead and do the workout anyway with the option to bail if needed. I managed to get through the whole thing, but I did end up taking a bit longer rest interval before the last 3 than I would have liked. Repeats were 6:32, 6:35, 6:36, 6:37, 6:34, and 6:38. I was completely gasses on the last one and probably would have skipped it if the local running club hadn't showed up at the track to do intervals and provided some extra motivation to get all of them done. Rest intervals were about 2:30 and 2:50 after the first 2 and 3:20-30 for the last 3 rest intervals.

Got in my 10 miles and felt like crap for about 30-45 minutes afterward, but perked up a bit and I really feel pretty good today surprisingly. I'm in KC, where it's going to be near 100 today, so I'm going to find a gym to get the scheduled 14 in on a mill somewhere.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:22 pm

mul21 wrote:Last night was the 6 x 1 mile workout and the day did not start off well. I must have eaten something bad either late Sunday night or Monday morning (still have no idea what) and was having some major GI issues all day. I decided to go ahead and do the workout anyway with the option to bail if needed. I managed to get through the whole thing, but I did end up taking a bit longer rest interval before the last 3 than I would have liked. Repeats were 6:32, 6:35, 6:36, 6:37, 6:34, and 6:38. I was completely gasses on the last one and probably would have skipped it if the local running club hadn't showed up at the track to do intervals and provided some extra motivation to get all of them done. Rest intervals were about 2:30 and 2:50 after the first 2 and 3:20-30 for the last 3 rest intervals.

Got in my 10 miles and felt like crap for about 30-45 minutes afterward, but perked up a bit and I really feel pretty good today surprisingly. I'm in KC, where it's going to be near 100 today, so I'm going to find a gym to get the scheduled 14 in on a mill somewhere.

14 on TM will do the body good. Enjoy!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:47 pm

You managed some pretty good consistent splits despite the GI issues. Nice job getting it done!
How do you just pop into a gym to do a workout? Do you pay a daily fee or are you a member of a chain that you can find in other cities?
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:57 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:You managed some pretty good consistent splits despite the GI issues. Nice job getting it done!
How do you just pop into a gym to do a workout? Do you pay a daily fee or are you a member of a chain that you can find in other cities?

Thanks Seth, it certainly wasn't the easiest workout I've done, but I don't feel too bad today.

I'm a member of the local YMCA and I can usually get in to just about any of them without any problem. Either that or the hotels I stay at on the road have access to a gym and I go there.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:04 pm

mul21 wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:You managed some pretty good consistent splits despite the GI issues. Nice job getting it done!

Thanks Seth, it certainly wasn't the easiest workout I've done, but I don't feel too bad today.

I'm a member of the local YMCA and I can usually get in to just about any of them without any problem. Either that or the hotels I stay at on the road have access to a gym and I go there.

When I travel and can't run outdoors, I have to rely on the hotel gym, which usually sucks!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

The 3rd time's a charm! - Page 13 Empty DO. NOT. LIKE. DAVE. RIGHT. NOW.

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:21 pm

That is all.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 pm

Hahahahaha. Love it. Great weekend, great workouts. Get some rest...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 pm

HAHA!!! I love it!! Is Dave's middle name Adolf??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:49 am

Well, I suppose I'll post my workout now since I'm not hating life!

I was a little (okay, a lot) stiff from the mile repeats on Monday night and knew the planned 14 miles would get off to a slow start. I'm in Kansas City and the hotel I'm staying at has a decent treadmill and it was nearly 100 degrees here yesterday, so I decided to see how long I could stand the mill. That turned out to be for 7 miles. I started out nice and easy and worked the pace down to 8:00/miles but then had to back off and ended up at 57:24 (8:12 pace) for the first 7 miles. I went outside at that point, and it had cooled down enough and the route I took was relatively shaded, so it wasn't too bad. As a bonus, one of my facilities is along the route, so I was able to stop a little after 4 miles and grab some water. It's a bit hilly, so that was an added degree of difficulty on top of the tired legs and heat. I finished the second half in 58:06 (8:18 pace) for an average of 8:15 for the run. Not where I've been lately pace wise, but I'll take it considering the workout the night before and the heat.

Today is a much needed recovery day with just a single 6 miler and then I'll do 10 with a 6 mile tempo on Thursday. It's gonna be an interesting rest of the week!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next