365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

+11
T Miller
mountandog
Dave-O
Nick Morris
JohnP
Kenny B.
Chris M
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Martin VW
Alex Kubacki
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?   Empty Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu May 31, 2012 7:47 am

Registration begins mid-September but I'm wondering with the new standards if it'll fill up so soon. Didn't it close for this year with it being around Standard minus 2min and that was the old standard?

I'm debating to try again at a night marathon this summer or if would be ok to wait until October with the new standards in place.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?   Empty Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Martin VW Thu May 31, 2012 8:46 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Registration begins mid-September but I'm wondering with the new standards if it'll fill up so soon. Didn't it close for this year with it being around Standard minus 2min and that was the old standard?

I'm debating to try again at a night marathon this summer or if would be ok to wait until October with the new standards in place.

IMO, yes, early Fall marathons stand a good chance. Late Fall, like New York and Philly, not so much.

If you look at the data, it's pretty clustered at the different standards. So, 5 minutes affects thousands of people. Mind you, not everyone that qualifies registers, so it's hard to predict, but my gut says it will make it through the open registration period this year.

Don't forget, though, that if you run a qualifying time in October/November and DON'T get in, you can still register via a charity and run in your rightful spot. Qualiofying is the achievement. How you register really doesn't matter.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?   Empty Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 31, 2012 9:42 am

And don't forget the 500 or so "automatic" entries that deferred this year. Doubt they will have much affect, but the male age categories from 35-55 are always the most competitive regarding entry.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Thu May 31, 2012 10:23 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:And don't forget the 500 or so "automatic" entries that deferred this year. Doubt they will have much affect, but the male age categories from 35-55 are always the most competitive regarding entry.

I'm hearing that the BAA is hoping to "flex" the number of bibs to cover those 500, as opposed to taking them out of the existing allocation.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 31, 2012 11:03 am

Martin VW wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:And don't forget the 500 or so "automatic" entries that deferred this year. Doubt they will have much affect, but the male age categories from 35-55 are always the most competitive regarding entry.

I'm hearing that the BAA is hoping to "flex" the number of bibs to cover those 500, as opposed to taking them out of the existing allocation.

That would be wise. I have two girlfriends who fall into the 500+ runners as we picked up their bibs (even though they were not even able to run). I know that one of them received an email from the BAA (I'm sure the other did as well), and she is planning on running next April, but might not be ready in the fall (she had knee surgery a week before Boston).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu May 31, 2012 2:18 pm

I would definitely attempt one be4 registration opens. Iceland has an August marathon. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu May 31, 2012 3:25 pm

Martin VW wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:Registration begins mid-September but I'm wondering with the new standards if it'll fill up so soon. Didn't it close for this year with it being around Standard minus 2min and that was the old standard?

IMO, yes, early Fall marathons stand a good chance. Late Fall, like New York and Philly, not so much.

If you look at the data, it's pretty clustered at the different standards. So, 5 minutes affects thousands of people. Mind you, not everyone that qualifies registers, so it's hard to predict, but my gut says it will make it through the open registration period this year.

Don't forget, though, that if you run a qualifying time in October/November and DON'T get in, you can still register via a charity and run in your rightful spot. Qualiofying is the achievement. How you register really doesn't matter.

Ah, its no fun to just agree with what MVW says for me but I do think he's right on. My wild guess is that Chicago, Berlin and Marine Corps (among others) can be run as qualifiers but that Boston will be filled up before Philly and New York. And MVW is right about the charity entry for someone who gets the BQ. I'm encouraging a buddy who will be running NYC to do that. If he gets a BQ, its likely too late for regular entry into Boston 2013. But if he has the BQ, I think it would be great if he entered Boston 2013 through a charity. Based off of his finishing time at NYC, he'll get a number in whatever corral he's earned.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu May 31, 2012 3:57 pm

Do you think Hartford which is a week after Chicago would still be ok?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu May 31, 2012 5:53 pm

Yes, I would be very suprised if Boston 2013 is filled by the time Hartford is run. I would send in my BQ that same day if I ran it but I think you are safe going for a BQ then. I just don't think there's a way that Boston will fill up during the normal registration period in mid September. Chicago will certainly add a lot of BQers. But I still would bet on the over/under date on Boston filling being around October 31.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:15 pm

So, if I qualify for Boston at the Philly Marathon can I use that qualification time for 2014 Boston assuming 2013 is sold out?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Yes of course Kenny
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:11 am

Kenny B. wrote:So, if I qualify for Boston at the Philly Marathon can I use that qualification time for 2014 Boston assuming 2013 is sold out?

As Michele says - Yes . I was thinking this wuold be a good strategy, to basically plan a year ahead for Boston rather than try to qualify in the fall and then have to start trainnig pretty quickly for the next Boston marathon.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 am

My focus is on getting a qualifying time in the books first, then I will figure out which year I will run Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Chris M wrote:Yes, I would be very suprised if Boston 2013 is filled by the time Hartford is run. I would send in my BQ that same day if I ran it but I think you are safe going for a BQ then. I just don't think there's a way that Boston will fill up during the normal registration period in mid September. Chicago will certainly add a lot of BQers. But I still would bet on the over/under date on Boston filling being around October 31.

I'm bringing this thread back up to the top. As predicted back in May, Boston did NOT fill up for 2013 with BQs run before registration. As of today, there are still 2,500+ spots open for Boston 2013 for those who run a BQ this Fall. Definitely open for anyone who gets it at Chicago. I'm still guessing but I do think 2013 will Close at some point and I wouldn't want to be waiting all the way to NYC in mid-November if I didn't have a BQ now.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:03 pm

With 2500+ spaces still available, I'm guessing Chicago qualifiers would get in, but maybe not those as late as MCM on the 28th.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:14 pm

There are a bunch going on that weekend. I wouldn't be shocked if it's filled after. Hartford is the week after. Really hoping it lasts for that.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Just out of curiosity, what would prevent someone from registering the Saturday before the Chicago marathon, listing their qualification time as the minimum time required, then submitting their proof of of time the following day or even Monday? Its not like the BAA makes an immediate determination.

Just seems like an easy way to beat the potential rush...
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Dave-O wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would prevent someone from registering the Saturday before the Chicago marathon, listing their qualification time as the minimum time required, then submitting their proof of of time the following day or even Monday? Its not like the BAA makes an immediate determination.

Its a good question. On the application, you fill in the specific time so that wouldn't match up with what you ran the next day. UNLESS you made that happen! Register with a 3:05:00 and then finish the race in 3:03:00 and stand near the finish line for exactly 2 minutes so you cross the mat and get exactly what you said you would. That would be pretty funny.

More significantly, however, the application has a pull down menu for the race you are using for your qualification time. Presumably no race in the future would be on that pull down menu.

There is a place to fill in races that are not on the pulldown menu so maybe you could right in "Chicago Marathon" and "3:05:00" or whatever your time is going to be and then BAM you just beat the rush and got a Boston application in with an earlier time stamp than everyone else!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Chris M wrote:

Its a good question. On the application, you fill in the specific time so that wouldn't match up with what you ran the next day. UNLESS you made that happen! Register with a 3:05:00 and then finish the race in 3:03:00 and stand near the finish line for exactly 2 minutes so you cross the mat and get exactly what you said you would. That would be pretty funny.

More significantly, however, the application has a pull down menu for the race you are using for your qualification time. Presumably no race in the future would be on that pull down menu.

There is a place to fill in races that are not on the pulldown menu so maybe you could right in "Chicago Marathon" and "3:05:00" or whatever your time is going to be and then BAM you just beat the rush and got a Boston application in with an earlier time stamp than everyone else!

The drag down box probably eliminates this plan. Otherwise, if you say 3:05:00, and then run 3:04:34, do you think they'd deny the application? I say no.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm

My eldest son is running Detroit on Oct 20th for his first marathon. Not saying he can break 3:05 (he ran 1:24:59 at the Scream HM in July - big downhill) == but hey - I can at least hope it stays open until then and his 24 year old body ignores the pain. cheers
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 pm

So you are saying that I have no shot with November 4th...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 pm

my fingers are crossed for you Nick. Pray for HEAT!! Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?   235134252 Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?   63558857
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Nick Morris wrote:So you are saying that I have no shot with November 4th...

I think it will be REALLY REALLY close. I kid you not, I would register within seconds of finishing. Get your smart phone out of your bag and send it in if you get the BQ.

Going for you is that Philly and NYC won't have happened yet. Going against you is that Chicago, Steamtown and Marine Corps will definitely produce a lot more BQ eligible people so those spots will start to go.....but 2,500 of them? Hmmm.

You have reason to be very hopeful that come the morning of November 4, there are spots still open.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Dave-O wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would prevent someone from registering the Saturday before the Chicago marathon, listing their qualification time as the minimum time required, then submitting their proof of of time the following day or even Monday? Its not like the BAA makes an immediate determination.

That's a great thought, I think it would work. I can't imagine that they would have something in place to catch that or to sort the entries by qualifying date.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Chris M wrote:I think it will be REALLY REALLY close. I kid you not, I would register within seconds of finishing. Get your smart phone out of your bag and send it in if you get the BQ.

Going for you is that Philly and NYC won't have happened yet. Going against you is that Chicago, Steamtown and Marine Corps will definitely produce a lot more BQ eligible people so those spots will start to go.....but 2,500 of them? Hmmm.

You have reason to be very hopeful that come the morning of November 4, there are spots still open.

I don't know. With the warm spring we had I'm thinking with all the marathons that Chicago weekend that could finish the registration off. 2,500 is really not that much with the amount of people going for it. I hope I'm wrong.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next