365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Help me, Clarence! Get me back!

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Help me, Clarence! Get me back!

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:48 am

6 miles last night, up at the track. I haven't run at the track for quite a while, so it was a nice change. And it was a beautiful evening. The big, nearly full, moon was up (this is a "blue moon", I guess!) in the east, and the sun was setting in the west. I got there relatively early for me, and it was light most of the way, only getting fully dark in the last mile or so. I was running on an extra day of rest, because my schedule didn't permit me to run on Tuesday. Well, I was tired Tuesday morning, and didn't choose to exhaust myself by pulling my ass out of bed at 5:15. I guess I could have, but I'm glad I didn't!

And this marks my official move to midweek evening training runs (though hopefully I will have at least one and maybe two morning midweek runs, as my buddy Steve will be in town and I am planning on some downtime from work to spend with him). That is a big adjustment, driven by all of the kids now being back in school. Just another chunk of time out of the day!

My schedule will remain funky through the long weekend. I am running the New Haven Road Race Monday morning (I had forgotten that I registered for this back in the spring!), which is a 20K, and so I have to adjust for that. It's a stepback week, so not a big deal in that regard. It will cause some schedule adjustment next week, in the final peak week, as well.

A beautiful late summer day here. I expect I will not get a chance to run until maybe a bit after 8:00 tonight, so another track event, I think.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:03 am

Hope you have a great day at the 20k this weekend!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:29 am

@KathyK wrote:Hope you have a great day at the 20k this weekend!

Thanks, I do like that race. Haven't yet decided how hard to run it. Good timing for a test, though!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Another night at the track, with that blue moon hanging in the eastern sky as I run my circles in the dark. Started slow and kept it that way - about 9:35 average. Never looked at my watch, just trotted along. I was stiff this morning, though I was coming off two days of rest when I ran last night. I figured it's the easy week, and I might as well keep it easy.

I was surprised how much company I had at the track. A couple of walkers, though they were gone before too long, and then a couple of runners. I'm not sure what they were doing. I think the woman was running intervals, and however she was running them, I barely saw her, which is odd. Also, she would go over to the side and stretch or do something with her phone for fairly long intervals. And the guy who was there was even a bit more strange. I think he spent most of his time sitting against the fence and screwing around with his phone as well. He did do a couple of sprints, and passed me once, but I just couldn't make sense out of the workout. Didn't help that I couldn't see him much, due to the darkness. Whatever!

I expect to get home a bit early tomorrow on account of the long weekend, get in another 6 miles, and then call it quits until the 20k on Monday morning.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 am

Have fun on Monday.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Have fun on Monday.

Thanks Alex. It's one of my favorite races, so I should have no trouble enjoying this one, regardless of how I run it.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:44 pm

As I predicted, got home early enough to get the 6 miler in early. Went over to the rail trail to do it, which was nice, because of the shade. Hot afternoon here, and though I didn't start until about 5:30, it was still about 90 out. Fortunately, the humidity was OK. I just took it easy (averaged 9:18) and it felt just fine. Now for an unusual Sat/Sun off, and the 20K on Monday.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 am

After the 20K on Monday, I took Tuesday off. Instead of running the 8 on Wednesday, like I would in a normal peak week for this cycle, I limited it to a hilly 5 miles. This also worked better for my schedule. I was glad I took it a little easier. I found I was still tired after the 20K, and it was quite humid (and, of course, hilly). I still ran it at a good clip (averaged about 9:05).

My old friend Steve was in town, and after the run, we had a late breakfast and drove through eastern CT and into RI. He is on a quest to visit all 50 states, and RI was no. 49, so it was fun. Although it was rainy, we had a nice drive along the south coast of RI, visited a couple of beaches, and then headed up to Newport for a very late lunch and some sight seeing. Then back home.

Got up yesterday and did another 5, this time together. He's not used to the hills, but we still managed about the same pace, but with a gatorade stop in the middle for a couple of minutes. Nice run.

He then headed up to Maine to get in no. 50! He'll be back tonight, and tomorrow we run the 20 together (he is training for Chicago, which he has run many times). It'll be nice to have company for the final 20 of my cycle!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Have a nice 20 miler with your buddy! I'll bet the miles will fly by!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 pm

That's nice you've got someone to run with. It's your last big weekend.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:38 pm

@KathyK wrote:Have a nice 20 miler with your buddy! I'll bet the miles will fly by!

I could use the distraction - dew point is supposed to be about 70, yeck...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:39 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:That's nice you've got someone to run with. It's your last big weekend.

Yes, I'm looking forward to a long taper, the race and then some time off my feet to let the ITBS go away...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:05 pm

I decided to stash fluids for the 20 miler today, because although I carry water a lot of the time, my buddy Steve doesn't like to. So last night, we went and stashed gatorade at the furthest point on the first out leg, then had a really nice carb-feast dinner.

We were up in time to stash the rest of the water and start the run at 8:00 a.m., figuring earlier was better than later, because it was already in the 70s, and the dew point was 70, and the forecast said it would stay there. The good news was that it probably never got to 80 degrees, but the dew point must have stayed at right about 70, which is just miserable. So, both being pretty wise at this point in things running, we started slow, hydrated aggressively, and stayed slow.

We stopped at the stash points and took in plenty of fluids, and we also each ate a couple of gus. The "all in" time was an average of 10:19, while the moving time was 9:41. I was very happy with that given the conditions, but I think Steve was a little disappointed we didn't run it faster. Clearly, we were smart to not run it faster, given how we both felt at the end, which was pretty exhausted!

It was nice to see a lot of people out there today doing their long runs.

And it sure was nice to have someone to run with and talk to. That made it seem a lot easier than it would have otherwise.

Splits and elevation chart (which, as I always like to point out, should be taken with a grain of salt - the general trends are right, it is the spikey up and down that can't be right) below.

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Nice run, Michael, I almost never run with anyone and I can see you appreciated that opportunity to do so.

For the elevation, do you have the elevation-correction feature turned on?
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 am

@JohnP wrote:Nice run, Michael, I almost never run with anyone and I can see you appreciated that opportunity to do so.

For the elevation, do you have the elevation-correction feature turned on?

Thanks John, it was nice.
As for the elevation correction, yes, that is on. I believe the issue is unique to running on the rail trail, which often is elevated somewhat (and sometimes dramatically) above the surrounding terrain (or sometimes below it - though that is less common on this one), and that the margin of error as to exact location makes the difference. If the watch thinks I'm 20 feet to the right, in certain areas that would put me 30 feet down an embankment. I am not sure of this, of course, but it is my working theory. Also, I am not sure how good the topo data for the trail and the surrounding area would be. This is an abandoned railroad right of way (abandoned for decades), so I wonder if anyone really ever worked up the manmade features and plugged them into the topo database for the area. I do not have this issue when running on roads...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Felt good this morning after the 20 miler yesterday, and it was a much nice day (warm and sunny, but nice low humidity), so I headed out for 8 miles. Averaged 9:02 per mile, with the last couple of miles (slightly downhill) at well under 9:00. Real nice run, and felt good the whole way.

TAPER TIME!Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Had to take last night off to attend a board meeting, so tonight was the first run of the taper. It's a beauty of a night here, but the high school team is playing a home game under the lights, so I can't use the track. That left me on the mill. Haven't done that in a while!

Got in a nice five miler at just under 9:00 while watching the pre-game and the first couple of innings of Yankees/Red Sox.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:29 am

Yay for taper time! Enjoy!
Looks like your 20 miler went very well given the dew point. Yikes!
Don't know how it feels 'round there, but here in NC, the humidity is way down and it feels wonderful outside!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm

@KathyK wrote:Yay for taper time! Enjoy!
Looks like your 20 miler went very well given the dew point. Yikes!
Don't know how it feels 'round there, but here in NC, the humidity is way down and it feels wonderful outside!

It's been really nice here since about Sunday. If not for my visitor and co-runner, I would have delayed the 20 to Sunday, based on the forecast. The dew point sucked, but the company was worth it!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:46 am

Five miles at the track last night. A dark and moonless night - it was hard to see the lines on the track. Fortunately, there is a security light at the south end of the track that is just enough for my purposes. Also, it was open house at the high school last night, so there were a lot of cars in the lot, and as they would occasionally leave, they would sometimes flood the track with some light as they made a necessary turn in the lot - I wonder if they saw me in the light and wondered what the old man was doing out there in the middle of the night?

Whatever, it was a nice run on a nice night, and I averaged about 9:12.

No track tonight - another soccer game there under the lights. I thought about doing this right after work at the treadmill at the Y, but I haven't been over there all summer, and realized last night I couldn't remember the combination of the lock I carry with me when I go over there! Looks like I'm doing this one at home.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 am

Couple more weeks Michael. Enjoy the running.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:46 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Couple more weeks Michael. Enjoy the running.

Thanks. Counting the days!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Last night, I did 5 miles easy on the treadmill, averaging 9:06. Sure was sweaty in the basement! I need a fan.

Got up this morning, and did 13.1 on the rail trail. Beautiful day for a nice taper run. Cool and breezy. I felt good, and I'm still two weeks from the race, because I'm doing a three week taper, so decided to push the pace just a bit. Brought it in just under 2 hours, for a 9:06 pace, with no problems.

I will slide in a 6 miler tomorrow, and then the taper will really start to kick in, with the miles dropping, and no more runs where I push the pace at all. Just keep it about where I've been in training, and let the taper do its thing.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:44 am

A nice easy six this morning - just took it easy with legs feeling a little tired going into the run, averaging 9:21 and enjoying the rail trail, the people on it and the beautiful weather here today. Wow, it really feels like fall today, and there are leaves down to make that point.

Also really starting to feel like taper (pre-anxiety)...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:03 pm

No stressing, Michael - trust the training.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top