365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

NY, NY - Redux 2012

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NY, NY - Redux 2012

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 am

Talked with my old coach last night as I wanted to bounce some ideas off him with regards to where I am and where I am going. We decided that I would be better off keeping my long run in the 16 mile range (for now) with the exception of NY and run a weekly profile something like this;

M,W,F - 4-5 miles easy with some striders on M and W
T,Th - 10-12 miles - some as GA, sometimes as Progression, Pace or tempo runs
Sat - 15-16 miles
Sun - Rest

This will allow me to build back my endurance as I truly believe I need that vs the mental aspects of 20 milers that might indeed hurt me (achilles) more than help. I also have run decent marathons (Boston, '09 3:59:20) on 12 and 16 mile long runs (only one 16 that winter, but lots of 50 mile weeks).

After NY, I hope to be able to add a bit of speed for Tucson, but we will see. Obviously, my simple goal is to finish Tucson and knock off a state; however, I would really like to get that BQ which for me means under 4 hrs. With cool fall marathons, that will most likely have to be around 3:50 or better, 3:55 at the slowest.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Still up and down as the days go along. Aborted a long run two Saturdays ago running 13 rather than 16 as the achilles bothered me from mile 9, but then I was able to run 12 on the Tuesday after without any issues. Of course, I then tried to run 12 this past Saturday and had to cut it back and only run 8 as the heel was very painful. Since I am also faced with some pending surgery in the near future (either a 1-2 wk or 4-5 wk recovery depending on which procedure I have to undergo), I'm thinking that John's suggestion of running with a camera might actually make NY the send off that it needs to be before I have to shut things down, get the surgery, heal up and get ready for Boston. I guess we will see. Not what I wanted for this fall, but it is what it is.

My hubby and I did have a good weekend in Boston visiting our daughter for Parent's Weekend. I guess the good news about the shortened run is that is was along the Esplanade in Boston and I was able to watch some of the early morning Head of the Charles crew races. It was also a very warm morning with high humidity and I was able to easily handle the weather in spite of the pain in the heel. Yesterday morning was drastically different with new shoes and 50F temps as the 5 miles went by easily. Of course as I said somewhere before, it is tough to swallow that my race pace will be my training pace from back in the spring. I know, I can get there again, but it sure is a struggle. Anyway, it looks like NY will be all in fun, and that I might have to shut it down without running Tucson and be ready for April. I'll know all my choices after October 30th.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Well, NY is this coming Sunday - that is if Sandy doesn't wash away NYC or Cleveland. It has been raining hard here since Friday and the winds on the lake are expected to surge around 60 mph, and that is before Sandy's backlash gets here. The weather was just so dreadful that I even "julio'd" a half marathon yesterday that I was going to use as a training run. After all, I might not even get to NY. The achilles has been bothering me on and off and I can't even tell you if it will hold up for 26.2 miles. My current plan is to run Sunday with a friend (from the summer) and her sister. I've been looking forward to having a nice relaxed run and not a race as the weather is actually supposed to be awesome in NY by Sunday, but, neither them nor I may even get there. They are coming in from Philly and I know that it is going to hammered there very soon.

I do hope to get to NYC as this will most likely be my last race of the season. I need to schedule in some minor surgery by the years end to make sure that I can recover and be ready for Boston. I also need to let the achilles fully heal if that is possible. I'll know tomorrow what my options are and that will dictate everything.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Gah. What horrible timing for a major storm! I have a colleague at work who is planning to run his first NY Marathon... but I'm starting to wonder if he's going to make it all the way from the West Coast. And if he gets there, if the race will still happen.

Here's hoping that things turn out better than expected...
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 am

Any updated news from the race officials yet on whether or not Sandy will affect the running of the race?
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am

Michele, I hope it works out for you to run NYC, even if it's slow or run/walk. It looks like they believe the race will go on, that there is enough time for them to clean up and get ready. i do hope you consider toting a camera along, that might be quite an opportunity to take some photos of the damage along the way. I wonder if they will need to re-route some of the course too.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:58 am

This is what they are saying currently about this weekend:

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:00 am Post subject: NYCM Marathon Update
ING New York City Marathon Weather Update
Tuesday, 10/30, 10AM: We are currently focused on recovery efforts, and our thoughts go out to all those affected by the storm. Please stay safe - we will update you later in the day as more information becomes available. Please check hurricane-related news for the New York area and your area, and please check this site frequently, as we will be posting updates. Most importantly, please stay safe throughout this week.

I am not supposed to fly until Saturday morning, and they have already indicated that they will extend the hours of the Expo on Saturday as they expect many will be having issues. I understand that the staging area on Staten Island is underwater and that the ferries are not running and who knows when they will come back on line. Also, the buses actually take a route to the starting area through what is now a closed tunnel. My daughter is/was supposed to travel to NYC via Amtrak, but I am guessing that will not happen. I'm torn right now as I can defer and have an automatic entry into next year's race. No, I do not get my entry fee back, but at this point I'm kind of leaning this way as I really don't want to impact the city with yet another tourist. The women that I was hoping to run with live in Philly and I'm guessing they are not planning on coming - can't really reach them right now.

I'm not close to 100%, very undertrained, and having some women's issues that are leading to my upcoming surgery. I guess for now, we will just see.............
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:This is what they are saying currently about this weekend:

I'm not close to 100%, very undertrained, and having some women's issues that are leading to my upcoming surgery. I guess for now, we will just see.............

Sometimes you gotta know when to fold them. Might be best to defer to next year if they allow that?
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:39 pm

I just read on yahoo the subway was full of water. No
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Well, I just made the decision not to go the NYC. I cancelled my hotels, flights, and entry. I'm not ready in a lot of ways - achilles being only one of them - and Sandy was just a sign. Yes, I lose the entry fee, but I do get a guaranteed entry to the race in 2013, and maybe I'll pull that trigger since I'm a bit saddened that I can't give this year what I wanted to. I still hope to be able to run the Atlanta Half on Thanksgiving Day as an easy run with some friends and I'm scheduling my surgery for the week after Thanksgiving so that I can hopefully be back on the roads by the week after Christmas. This means I won't be going to Tucson either (sorry Chris). I emailed Pam Reed, the RD, with an explanation and she graciously emailed me back and wanted to refund my entry fee - how very cool of her.

So for now, I'm going to concentrate my efforts on healing in many ways and getting back on the roads to run a great Boston, 2013. It can't be ridiculously hot two years in a row, right?

Also, congrats to Michael (mountaindog) for getting his sub-3 and to his daughter for winning another one!!!!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 pm

I am sorry to hear that you will not be running NYC this year, but like you said, maybe Sandy was a sign that you really shouldn't run it this year. And hey, you get a guaranteed entry next year...things happen for a reason.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm sorry that it came to this, but it sounds like it's the right decision for you now. This will give you time to heal up and get back on track with less immediate pressure.

It is good, though, that you're an automatic in for 2013 should you decide to take a bite out of the Big Apple again.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 am

Sorry to hear that, but undoubtedly the right decision, given the confluence of lingering injury and Sandy's impact on NYC, where things continue to be a huge mess.

Heal up!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:23 am

I feel like a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders. While I would have loved to be in NY and take in all that there is, I'm not even sure that "all that there is" will be reality or what I want to see this year. I still have friends going so I hope things work out for them and the city. In my opinion, it is a fantastic race and I just needed to share it under better circumstances.

As for my little city here in Ohio, it is a mess. I'm lucky in that I only lost power for an evening (about 12 hrs) as most of the city is still out. There are trees, branches, and power lines down everywhere, siding blew off many of the town homes in my subdivision and is all over the place, and a drain pipe blew off the unit across from mine and is now down on the shore. Several boats were lost from the local Marina (the one I can see from my unit) and floated out into Lake Erie, and I guess we have had our shares of fires, etc. (nothing like the devastation in Queens). Funny thing is that no one really anticipated us to get hit quite so bad as it was not from Sandy, but from a stalled out cold front that caught the backlash of the hurricane. The waves are still pretty incredible on the lake.

Well, I guess since I do have power, I can get back to work.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Finally able to run outside today even in the rain and drizzle. I ran 3.5 miles and it felt absolutely brilliant! Tis a wonder what can happen when you take the pressure off yourself. I know I made the right decision regarding this weekend and one I probably should have made back in August, but I didn't want to disappoint my daughter, inlaws, and hubby by not taking the trip to NY. Sandy just made it easier.

Currently looking at scheduling my surgery for the week after Thanksgiving. All will be set next Tuesday. In talking with my coach (about my NY decision which he wholeheartedly agreed with), we decided that I need to be in as good a shape as I can be before the procedure. Recovery will be easier and I'm guessing that is why Peg bounced back so well from her recent set back.

My little city is coming back to normal although about 50% of the residents are still without power. Halloween was postponed until Sunday night at 5 pm, and with the time change, it should be good and dark that early. It will also be a week on Monday since the kiddies were in school. I think I pity those teachers come next Monday - a week off and too much sugar!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:13 pm

It's amazing how far inland Sandy's damage reached. Then again, when I look at the map, I'm always a little surprised by just how close Ohio is to the Atlantic.

I guess I keep thinking it's somewhere near Nebraska or something. Wink

I'm glad you're happy with the decision to let go of NYC this year. It feels good, doesn't it? I'm sure your body will thank you for it.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Sorry to hear you won't be running NYC or Tucson. Makes sense, though. Get yourself healthy for 2013!
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Sorry to read about what I am sure was a tough decision. Given all the factors, though, I do think it was the right one. Here's to faster days ahead!
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 am

Sorry you had to postpone. Hopefully you can come back strong for Boston, assuming you're running it.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks, all. And yes, I'm running Boston. I just realized that NY would have been my 40th marathon - more fitting that I'm saving it for Boston.

Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am

Glad you listened to your gut, Michele. I'd take that enormous sigh of relief as an indication you did the right thing. I have a feeling that race will be a nightmare anyway.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Just been running easy every other day since the NY thing. The achilles is better that way I don't expect anything back from the NYRRC and I'm sorry that others do. I, for one, think it was the right decision just made about 4 days too late. I am proud of the runners that ran their own "races" for fun and solidarity and also I am also proud of the 2-3000 that volunteered in Staten Island. I will find out tomorrow for when my procedure is scheduled, and then I can proceed with training schedules after that. I had the same procedure done in late June, 2005 and paced Chicago, so recovery isn't bad, I just need to be in the best shape that I can and protect my achilles as well. A bit of an easy balance when it has already hit 40F for a high here in Cleveland. I'm not sure the last time that I ran in 40F weather - maybe last February?? Just taking it one day at a time.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 pm

I think the surgery will put you over the hump healing wise for the achilles. That was really a prolonged injury, it's a tough area to heal up. Glad you are being patient now.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks, all. Surgery is set for the week after Thanksgiving. As a testament to how tough we runners are, the doctor commented after reading my MRI that she had no idea how I was still running.

By the way, in case any of you are like me and are slightly claustrophobic, I had my MRI done in a relatively "newer" MRI that is basically an "open" design. In the past these "open" machine did not generate the results that most doctors wanted i.e. they were not as precise as the traditional machines. The newer ones, of course, are far better, and the "tube" is open on the sides and the portion over your face is about 6-8" above - so no claustrophobic feeling. What a difference. The last time I had an MRI, I had to take a sedative, this time - no issues. Anyway, nothing to do with running, but you never know.

The last time I had this procedure I was back on the roads in a week - walking and running easily. Hopefully, I'll be looking at the same type of recovery this time as Boston training will begin sometime around the first of the year. By then I hope to be back to 25 or so miles per week.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:29 am

I'm glad the MRI was easier to handle this time. And that your doctor was surprised that you could still run? That says a lot about your toughness. Not that there was ever any doubt about that. Very Happy

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top