365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Julie on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I did it, I feel more on track with my training now. I was tired this morning but got up at 4:!5 to run 6 easy pace on another humid morning. I had a bee sting my foot yesterday after my run (I hung my running clothes on the clothesline barefoot, why?) and anyway it's still a little swollen and painful. I'm just tired, low sleep as much as anything.

I'm thinking about taking tomorrow off. My schedule calls for a 14 miler mid-week but I'm thinking with the 12 and 20 already this week I will cut that one short. I don't really want to push things too far and end up injured. It's just a fun balance between pushing myself and not pushing so hard I get injured.

I'm also back to logging everything I eat and trying to lose wt again. I haven't been careful ever since I got sick so now it's time to get serious again.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6186
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:17 am

I think with the 20 and 12 already cutting the 14 down a bit is prudent choice. You have worked real hard in this weather re-energize yourself so you can pick it up when you need to.
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4686
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Tom H on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:56 am

@Julie wrote:Thanks everyone! I'm glad I did it, I feel more on track with my training now. I was tired this morning but got up at 4:!5 to run 6 easy pace on another humid morning. I had a bee sting my foot yesterday after my run (I hung my running clothes on the clothesline barefoot, why?) and anyway it's still a little swollen and painful. I'm just tired, low sleep as much as anything.

I'm thinking about taking tomorrow off. My schedule calls for a 14 miler mid-week but I'm thinking with the 12 and 20 already this week I will cut that one short. I don't really want to push things too far and end up injured. It's just a fun balance between pushing myself and not pushing so hard I get injured.

I'm also back to logging everything I eat and trying to lose wt again. I haven't been careful ever since I got sick so now it's time to get serious again.

Julie, good thinking on dialing it back if that's what you body is telling you. Injury prevention is an art and you seem to be practicing well. On the logging of what you eat, I don't know if you have an iPhone but my daughter turned me on to a really great app called "Lose It" that allows you to set up your weight loss goal (total desired loss/speed of loss) then sets your daily caloric intake based on data you provide. It has a huge library of foods you can choose from to enter and plugs in the calories, and another large library of exercises that offsets your food intake with calories burned during exercise. Unlike a computer where you have to remember to log on and enter stuff, since it is on the phone it is easy to simply pick it up and put in the info, so logging is a snap. It may be available for Android, etc., but for sure is available for the iPhone.
avatar
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Posts : 564
Points : 3145
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 59
Location : Fremont, SF Bay Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Penelope on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:01 pm

The picture of Jocelyn is adorable! I love her curls! Great job on getting in the 20, and pushing a running stroller, no less! I think it's reasonable to cut the 14 miler since you did the 12 and the 20, unless you're feeling really great and really want to do it. Good luck on the weight loss as well. I'm still just qualitatively "cutting down" but not actually counting calories, but I think I'm probably headed in that direction soon too. Have you ever done the points system from weight watchers? I've heard good things about it.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3129
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  John Kilpatrick on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:25 pm

You are rocking it Julie - I agree that injury prevention is an art that I have yet to figure out. I have learned a lot from experienced runners like yourself to slow it down when needed - I feel guilty if I don't, but have pushed too hard and ended up hurt too.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4135
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 am

I'm with everyone else here. Wise decision cutting back on the 14 after what you've been done so far. Great job.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 3872
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 am

@Kenny B. wrote:I think with the 20 and 12 already cutting the 14 down a bit is prudent choice. You have worked real hard in this weather re-energize yourself so you can pick it up when you need to.

Thanks Kenny, I do appreciate your advice!

@Tom H wrote:
Julie, good thinking on dialing it back if that's what you body is telling you. Injury prevention is an art and you seem to be practicing well. On the logging of what you eat, I don't know if you have an iPhone but my daughter turned me on to a really great app called "Lose It" that allows you to set up your weight loss goal (total desired loss/speed of loss) then sets your daily caloric intake based on data you provide. It has a huge library of foods you can choose from to enter and plugs in the calories, and another large library of exercises that offsets your food intake with calories burned during exercise. Unlike a computer where you have to remember to log on and enter stuff, since it is on the phone it is easy to simply pick it up and put in the info, so logging is a snap. It may be available for Android, etc., but for sure is available for the iPhone.

Thanks Tom, I have a very low-tech phone (doesn't even take pics and we don't have data plan) and have used a fitday online acct off and on but I think I do best just with very low-tech paper/pen logs and just getting motivated and really deciding I'm going to cut back. I read in Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners that people who log what they eat eat 20% less so really that's what I need to do.

@Penelope wrote:The picture of Jocelyn is adorable! I love her curls! Great job on getting in the 20, and pushing a running stroller, no less! I think it's reasonable to cut the 14 miler since you did the 12 and the 20, unless you're feeling really great and really want to do it. Good luck on the weight loss as well. I'm still just qualitatively "cutting down" but not actually counting calories, but I think I'm probably headed in that direction soon too. Have you ever done the points system from weight watchers? I've heard good things about it.

Thanks K! I love my little girl, she has so much personality, too. She is very sweet and affectionate. I haven't ever done wt watchers, but let me know what works for you. I just gotta get motivated and realize that small changes do help because if I end the day and don't think I've made a huge calorie dent I'm more likely to eat a bowl of cereal because I'm just a little hungry instead of just taking a 100-300 kcal deficit that would make a good change over time.

@John Kilpatrick wrote:You are rocking it Julie - I agree that injury prevention is an art that I have yet to figure out. I have learned a lot from experienced runners like yourself to slow it down when needed - I feel guilty if I don't, but have pushed too hard and ended up hurt too.

Thanks John, I don't know how experienced I am, sometimes feel like I'm pretty new at all of this but yes I have found it's better to listen to your body than ignore it and end up with a real injury that forces you to rest too long.

@Alex Kubacki wrote:I'm with everyone else here. Wise decision cutting back on the 14 after what you've been done so far. Great job.

Thanks Alex! Yeah no point in getting injured this early in the summer...

Today I was going to sleep in but my body woke me up at 4:15 anyway, really the bee sting area on my foot woke me up and once I was up I thought I may as well run. So I ran 6 miles pretty easy with one of my friends who is almost 72, has 4 more states to finish his 50 states the 3rd time around. Still humid but cooler, keep on having t-storms in the forecast but nothing really happens.

Tomorrow I'll run my medium-long run probably just 10 since it's pretty easy to fit it in without getting up extra early (normally get up at 4:45).

I've been thinking about marathon goal time and pace so I can have a good goal for Sunday's run which is to have some miles (I can't remember, 10-12?) out of 15 at MP. I think I might go for 4:05. 4:00 just seems so aggressive to me to jump from 4:13 in May and my low goal will be 4:10-4:11 (4:11:12 would be a PR)...it'd just be a 9:22 pace vs 9:09 which maybe it's more mental than anything but 9:09 seems pretty speedy to sustain over 26.2 especially adding in water breaks and all that.

It looks to be another hot weekend, 100 on Saturday, 97 on Sunday in the forecast so we'll see if I do better not wimping out on my long run. Either way it's 15 miles.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6186
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:52 am

Nice marathon goals, Julie. Be careful out there running in that heat.
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4260
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 am

Ouch that's serious heat for the weekend.

Regarding your MP that your shooting for, I was reading McMillan last week and he was saying a good MP predictor is what your able to do for a Fast Finish on a long run. He said if you do the last 30min and building up to 60min at your goal MP then that should give you a good idea if you can hit it. Now he said this shouldn't be done until the last eight weeks of a cycle. Just a thought.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 3872
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Julie some great runs you have been putting in. I like the fact that you are shooting for that 4:05 goal, I think that is a good adjustment right now in your training. Just remember as training goes on there is no reason that you can ended up at the 4:00 goal. Also wanted to say hi and great photo of your daughter.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5337
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 pm

@Julie wrote:
It looks to be another hot weekend, 100 on Saturday, 97 on Sunday in the forecast so we'll see if I do better not wimping out on my long run. Either way it's 15 miles.

You. Are. A. Stud! I like the "either way it's 15 miles". Wow, that is just great! I saw that you posted at 20 to 5 in the morning to my blog. God bless you for getting up that early. That's something that I need to start doing. What do you eat before your long runs when you're up that early?
avatar
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1122
Points : 3663
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 40
Location : Knocking the turtle on it's back!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  ChasMcG on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 am

Nice 20 miler! I look back now when my girls were little and I wish I would have been running then. I see a lot of Mom's out there and the kids look like they're having a blast. Very cool and to do 20 with a stroller is awesome!!
avatar
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Posts : 478
Points : 2754
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 41
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Julie on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am

@Jim Lentz wrote:Nice marathon goals, Julie. Be careful out there running in that heat.

Thanks, it's tough and I'm ready for a cool down.

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Ouch that's serious heat for the weekend.

Regarding your MP that your shooting for, I was reading McMillan last week and he was saying a good MP predictor is what your able to do for a Fast Finish on a long run. He said if you do the last 30min and building up to 60min at your goal MP then that should give you a good idea if you can hit it. Now he said this shouldn't be done until the last eight weeks of a cycle. Just a thought.

Thank you for that, I wanted to try that today but the humidity scared it out of me. I will try in a few weeks, though.

@Schuey wrote:Julie some great runs you have been putting in. I like the fact that you are shooting for that 4:05 goal, I think that is a good adjustment right now in your training. Just remember as training goes on there is no reason that you can ended up at the 4:00 goal. Also wanted to say hi and great photo of your daughter.

Thanks, I think I will stick with the 4:05 and then just see how I feel on race day, and what the weather is like. I keep meaning to put more pics of Jocelyn up but get distracted. We take so many of her.

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:
@Julie wrote:
It looks to be another hot weekend, 100 on Saturday, 97 on Sunday in the forecast so we'll see if I do better not wimping out on my long run. Either way it's 15 miles.

You. Are. A. Stud! I like the "either way it's 15 miles". Wow, that is just great! I saw that you posted at 20 to 5 in the morning to my blog. God bless you for getting up that early. That's something that I need to start doing. What do you eat before your long runs when you're up that early?

Well, before my 20 I didn't eat but that's because I just planned to do 6 and then I ate a banana and a few pretzels after 10 miles. Normally, though, I eat a bowl of oatmeal if I'm going more than 16 or so and usually have a few pretzels with me during my runs. Yeah, I get up early....4:15 some days. But then I'm in bed by 10 almost every night. It's just what works for me and my schedule right now, you get out there and run in the evenings and I don't have the energy to do that. I couldn't do that even when I was single...some reason all motivation goes out the window by evening for me.

@ChasMcG wrote:Nice 20 miler! I look back now when my girls were little and I wish I would have been running then. I see a lot of Mom's out there and the kids look like they're having a blast. Very cool and to do 20 with a stroller is awesome!!

Thanks Chas! Yes I am glad I have running! I only did 10 of the 20 with the stroller (the last 10) but that was the furthest I've ever taken her. I think we did 9 miles last fall once but it was really pushing her limits. This time she was perfectly fine though so I might have to do more jogging stroller runs the next few months. I think Sept-Oct are the best months for it though because it's not too hot and it's not so cold that I worry about bundling her up most days.

Today was my 10 miler scaled back from the 14 that was scheduled. 90% humidity and 76 degrees. I hate to say it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would but there was a little breeze and that helped. I just did a 10:00 pace average. My knee started hurting about 3-4 miles in and I think I just need to change my shoes.

We are in a severe heat warning until Tuesday p.m. so really no relief, lows in the 80s, heat index of 110 or so in the afternoons. Maybe after that moves out we'll get some relief.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6186
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Kenny B. on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:13 am

Good run today glad to see you stuck with the 10 vs. the 14. If you think you need new shoes you most likely do.
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4686
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Tom H on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:Good run today glad to see you stuck with the 10 vs. the 14. If you think you need new shoes you most likely do.

+1, better safe than sorry in this area. Also, be careful with those temps you are expecting over the next few days, they look like a real killer!
avatar
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Posts : 564
Points : 3145
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 59
Location : Fremont, SF Bay Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Good choice in scaling back your run with the high humidity. Remember to slow down and drink lots of fluids if you plan on running during the heat warning. Good luck!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11836
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:15 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:Good choice in scaling back your run with the high humidity. Remember to slow down and drink lots of fluids if you plan on running during the heat warning. Good luck!!
+1 Glad to see you are being careful, especially if you are running the both of you! I always wondered what that would be like to run with a stroller - looks hard. Your 10 is probably worth more due to that alone.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4135
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Julie on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks John, Nick, Tom and Kenny.

I did wear new shoes this morning, felt better mostly. My knee did hurt a little but I don't think it's anything a day of rest won't cure. Super humid with heat index above 80 even leaving at 4:45 this morning.

8 mile GA run, I just couldn't push it faster than 9:45-9:50 with the humidity. I drank plenty came home and drank even more.

Tomorrow is a rest day. I am volunteering at a family event, kind of like a kid's outdoor carnival of sorts which is a fundraiser for a non-profit breastfeeding support center we have in Lincoln. They helped me and my daughter so much I'm happy to be able to help them now since I've been on this planning committee since January. So I'm hoping we have a good turn out and everyone stays cool. We'll be done at 10:30 so we'll miss the worst of the heat.

Still planning on the 15 for Sunday but I don't know how close to MP I will get with this heat. My plan is to run and take whatever walk/water breaks I need.

After Wed. this system should move through and things cool off at least somewhat.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6186
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Peg Coover on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:11 am

I can't believe this oppressive weather! And the fact we have a heat advisory until Wednesday is just nuts! I am not sure when I will get my long run in next week!

Have fun tomorrow!
avatar
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Posts : 669
Points : 2979
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Nebraska

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Natalie on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:18 am

That running stroller is the secret to fast running! I'm convinced of it. They should have had them when my kids were babies!
avatar
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Posts : 391
Points : 2666
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:54 am

Don't worry about getting to MP at this point Julie - heat or no heat. You are still early in the training cycle and time on your feet is just as important at this point.

I'm with Natalie and I wish they had the nice running strollers they have now when my daughter was young.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4721
Points : 10963
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:12 am

Julie, in this nasty humidity you're dealing with are you taking any sodium with your water? If runs go over an hour you may need something when it's really gross out. Great job with the run in those conditions and have fun tomorrow.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 3872
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:51 pm

I carry water with anything over an hour usually 6 or 7 miles when it is hot and humid. Drink up and be the Camel.
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4686
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Julie on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:52 pm

@Peg Coover wrote:I can't believe this oppressive weather! And the fact we have a heat advisory until Wednesday is just nuts! I am not sure when I will get my long run in next week!

Have fun tomorrow!

Yeah, at least we have hopes of it lifting in a few more days! Good job on your long run this week. The event was fun, Jocelyn and I helped with bubbles/water play for 2 hrs then enjoyed some ice cream as a family.

Natalie Wolf wrote:That running stroller is the secret to fast running! I'm convinced of it. They should have had them when my kids were babies!

I'm surprised I don't use my running stroller more often now that J really likes it. It isn't that much harder than running without, more just the prep of getting her ready and then putting everything away at the end. I met a man today who runs with 2 of his kids and said it gets heavy sometimes but right now I just have a 24 lb child.

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Don't worry about getting to MP at this point Julie - heat or no heat. You are still early in the training cycle and time on your feet is just as important at this point.

I'm with Natalie and I wish they had the nice running strollers they have now when my daughter was young.

Thanks, I just read in Running Times to check MP about 4 weeks before the race. I guess in the end I'll figure out MP on marathon day.

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie, in this nasty humidity you're dealing with are you taking any sodium with your water? If runs go over an hour you may need something when it's really gross out. Great job with the run in those conditions and have fun tomorrow.

I take pretzels and eat them and then just drink plain water. I've had problems with powerade before so right now I'm pretty picky with just drinking water and then eating pretzels and candy. Thank you! It was a fun day and the clouds stuck around till the event was almost over, then it got pretty hot.

@Kenny B. wrote:I carry water with anything over an hour usually 6 or 7 miles when it is hot and humid. Drink up and be the Camel.

Definitely. I have had water on me for every run except one in the last few weeks (and wished I had had it then).

Today's a rest day, tomorrow I'm still aiming for 15 miles. One of my friends ran 14 this morning and said it was the hardest 14 miles of her life (and she's run maybe 7 marathons or so). I'll just take it as easy as I need to and drink up!
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6186
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Good luck tomorrow and be careful out there...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4135
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum