365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 17 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Nick Morris Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Julie wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Julie...weather is turning back around...only a 10% chance of rain, so no worries there. Low in the lower 50s and high around 70...Looking good!!!

Thanks Nick! I think either way, the weather isn't going to be a huge deal, nothing too extreme and we've been training in really hot weather all summer so we're good. Rain actually really doesn't worry me. I ran Twin Cities in a down pour the first 14-15 miles 3 yrs ago and it wasn't fun but nicer than the heat and humidity I had in Ft Worth this Feb. I'm thinking sleeveless shirt either way and probably not even need a toss shirt.

I ran that one, too. I actually don't mind running in the rain, as long as the temps are not high...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 17 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Nick Morris Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Peg! I hope so.

Today was 12 miles but I hate to say this but I did have some really deep knee soreness/pain. I am genuinely nervous about this race and just want to get my knee all taken care of. I am resting tomorrow for sure and will probably not run much this week but don't want to over do the resting, either..

Take some time off...DO NOT RUN...you are not going to lose fitness by taking off 3-4 days. You need to let it heal and the only way to truely do it is to rest...I am not a doctor, but I play one on TV Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

Take some time off...DO NOT RUN...you are not going to lose fitness by taking off 3-4 days. You need to let it heal and the only way to truely do it is to rest...I am not a doctor, but I play one on TV Smile

I agree. I will for sure take off Mon, Tues, Wed, maybe run a few Thurs before we leave and then just hope everything works out on Sunday a.m. I don't have too many options right now with just 6 days left.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Julie wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

I agree. I will for sure take off Mon, Tues, Wed, maybe run a few Thurs before we leave and then just hope everything works out on Sunday a.m. I don't have too many options right now with just 6 days left.

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!! No worries at this point you could take every day off until the race and be fine.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Hope the last week goes smoothly. The knee needs to heal up as much as possible. I'll be anxious to hear how things go for you.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:27 am

Not much to say that everyone else hasn't already Julie. So just take it easy and be ready to go for the weekend.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 am

Yeah, it's all good. I get more time to sleep and clean this last week and hopefully keep my head on. I know the best thing for me right now is to attempt to arrive un-injured and rest seems to be the only thing really helping. So, I didn't run today but the house keeps getting cleaner! Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:34 am

The only thing your runs should do from now until the race is remind your legs what it feels like to move. Once they've been reminded, whether that takes 10 or 20 or 30 minutes, the work is complete and it's time to let them rest again. Hang in there! The healing powers of taper will come!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:39 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:The only thing your runs should do from now until the race is remind your legs what it feels like to move. Once they've been reminded, whether that takes 10 or 20 or 30 minutes, the work is complete and it's time to let them rest again. Hang in there! The healing powers of taper will come!

I agree with the above. Take 2-3 days off you can throw in some easy runs with some strides just to keep the legs loose and ready to run fast. Even 1-2 miles at MP pace maybe Wed if you run but everything else should be days off or easy runs.

Your body will remember all the hard work it put it in so getting to the line healthy is the goal right now. You will be are great!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks Mike and Kenny, Wed or Thurs I do a few miles and other wise rest. And we are taking the laptop to the hotel so I can update you all after the race! Very Happy (which doesn't start until 8 a.m...why, I have no idea).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:58 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:The only thing your runs should do from now until the race is remind your legs what it feels like to move. Once they've been reminded, whether that takes 10 or 20 or 30 minutes, the work is complete and it's time to let them rest again. Hang in there! The healing powers of taper will come!

I disagree...you stated that you had some deep pain and I think that you would be better off to just shut it down until race day. That way you will not have the opportunity to aggravate anything...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Ok Nick, well, I am really not too worried about if I run or not this week, I mean, if it's best not to run then I have no problem taking the whole week off. I have my watch with 30 splits on it and I can use the first few miles of the marathon to settle into my goal pace of 9:22 if that is still a reasonable goal. My rt meniscus area is painful, and yes very deep and specific on yesterday's run. I think I might have over-done it with the 10 on Fri and 4 on Sat so hopefully 6 days of rest clears this up.

On the other hand I wonder if running just a few miles on Wed or Thurs before sitting in the car 10 hrs Fri would be helpful.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Julie - we are pulling for you. Would you aggravate anything if you spent a little time on an elliptical, a trainer, or even spent some time doing some pool running? That would help you mentally maybe, keep your legs loose, and minimize injury risks. I remember that Schuey actually trained for a marathon in the pool
(Boston I think) because of injury, so it might be a compromise. Just an idea - it really sucks that you have to deal with this crap now, but I still think you are on track and the biggest priority is to not hurt anything any worse. Of course, race day will take care of itself - your job is to get your body there intact!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:58 pm

good suggestions, John, but I don't have gym access so it's pretty much walking, running, or resting for me right now. Oh and don't ever do this if you move, but my husband and I were foolish when I moved from our apartment 2 years ago (hey I was 9 mos pregnant and really tired so that's some excuse, I guess) but we left our cheap mountain bikes there and when we went to pick them up they were already gone. So I hope they went to a good home and it was just a 5 dollar garage sale Huffy but it was nice for going on the trails and stuff. All that to say if I wanted to bike it would be my road bike with clips (although I guess clipless is the correct term). and I haven't already explained how many falls plus the one big crash I had on it, well, I'm not getting back on that until after the marathon for sure.

Big sigh. Deep breath. I will survive. Maybe a few miles Wed or Thurs but otherwise it looks like rest for the old knee...

Last edited by Julie on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Don't be so quick to give up - it is a sore knee, not the end of the world! Who knows what will happen, but all you can do is your best. You've already "won" in that you've had a great training cycle. There is no such thing as a fail for you at this point - the only fail would of been to have never started! I hope things go great for you on race day - you have the aerobic capacity behind you. If the knee doesn't cooperate, then it is what it is. It might surprise you. Hang in there and just get to the starting line! You are great no matter what happens.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:05 pm

I agree with John, no big sighs or deep breaths yet. You can still do this, Julie. And then worry about your next baby!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:55 am

Julie this isn't completely related but at the 2008 Olympics Shalane Flannigan had gotten a serious case of food poisoning and missed some runs. She still managed to win a bronze medal in the 10,000m. My only point is you did the training so I believe you are still capable of throwing down a good time despite the set back.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks John, John, and Alex. Feeling a little better today, still resting another day but trying to keep my head on.

I did train for this and it'll all work out. I'm still aiming for 9:23 pace and just see how it goes. My 16 miler went fine (except the last half mile) last weekend so it'll probably go better than my taper brain is imagining.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:37 am

Juile - Have a goal in mind but let go of the results. Run the best you can under the circumstance and you will be a winner regardless. You should still feel confident going into this race as others have said the training is over. If you toe the line healthy and the pain is not there then great. If if you feel it sneak up on you during the race then you will know at that time what to do. Right now you are doing exactly what you are suppose to do with what you have been given.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie this isn't completely related but at the 2008 Olympics Shalane Flannigan had gotten a serious case of food poisoning and missed some runs. She still managed to win a bronze medal in the 10,000m. My only point is you did the training so I believe you are still capable of throwing down a good time despite the set back.

He's right!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Julie wrote:good suggestions, John, but I don't have gym access so it's pretty much walking, running, or resting for me right now. Oh and don't ever do this if you move, but my husband and I were foolish when I moved from our apartment 2 years ago (hey I was 9 mos pregnant and really tired so that's some excuse, I guess) but we left our cheap mountain bikes there and when we went to pick them up they were already gone. So I hope they went to a good home and it was just a 5 dollar garage sale Huffy but it was nice for going on the trails and stuff. All that to say if I wanted to bike it would be my road bike with clips (although I guess clipless is the correct term). and I haven't already explained how many falls plus the one big crash I had on it, well, I'm not getting back on that until after the marathon for sure.

Big sigh. Deep breath. I will survive. Maybe a few miles Wed or Thurs but otherwise it looks like rest for the old knee...

I am kind of disappointed because I worked so hard and it's been 2 years of getting back into shape from having my baby and actually really getting into better shape than I was pre-pregnancy but this is supposed to be my last marathon before we try for another one. Sorry if TMI...but we really do want another baby. So it'll be back to just barely running and try to re-gain all that fitness all over again in a few yrs. Ah well.

Don't be disappointed YET! The race isn't over! And every marathon is different and the journey that gets you there tells the whole story, not the race itself! We are proud of you!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Peg Coover wrote:
Julie wrote:good suggestions, John, but I don't have gym access so it's pretty much walking, running, or resting for me right now. Oh and don't ever do this if you move, but my husband and I were foolish when I moved from our apartment 2 years ago (hey I was 9 mos pregnant and really tired so that's some excuse, I guess) but we left our cheap mountain bikes there and when we went to pick them up they were already gone. So I hope they went to a good home and it was just a 5 dollar garage sale Huffy but it was nice for going on the trails and stuff. All that to say if I wanted to bike it would be my road bike with clips (although I guess clipless is the correct term). and I haven't already explained how many falls plus the one big crash I had on it, well, I'm not getting back on that until after the marathon for sure.

I am kind of disappointed because I worked so hard and it's been 2 years of getting back into shape from having my baby and actually really getting into better shape than I was pre-pregnancy but this is supposed to be my last marathon before we try for another one. Sorry if TMI...but we really do want another baby. So it'll be back to just barely running and try to re-gain all that fitness all over again in a few yrs. Ah well.

Don't be disappointed YET! The race isn't over! And every marathon is different and the journey that gets you there tells the whole story, not the race itself! We are proud of you!

+100!! Don't let the Taper Madness get to you...we all know how much hard work that you have put in...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:45 pm

thanks Kenny, Peg, Nick...

OK, maybe this is taper madness, but they canceled outdoor activities today at the schools in the area of the race due to smoke from the wildfire in MN. I really hope all this clears up or there might not even be a race and I don't want to get all wrapped up in the idea of a Plan B but this is not what I wanted to think of right now.

No running today, rest tomorrow too but I do think I might run a few miles on Thursday. I miss running. pale
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Julie wrote:thanks Kenny, Peg, Nick...

OK, maybe this is taper madness, but they canceled outdoor activities today at the schools in the area of the race due to smoke from the wildfire in MN. I really hope all this clears up or there might not even be a race and I don't want to get all wrapped up in the idea of a Plan B but this is not what I wanted to think of right now.

No running today, rest tomorrow too but I do think I might run a few miles on Thursday. I miss running. pale

FYI...I ran outside tonight and felt fine...No headaches, coughing, or ashy feeling Smile Things are gonna work out fine on Sunday...BTW...30% chance of rain on Sunday...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:04 pm

no breathing treatment afterwards? Thanks Nick. I'm a mess. But I seriously hope this all works out, definitely looking forward to a weekend away.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next