365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 3 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Another good run for you! stay cool!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 3 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Yep you just keep rolling along Julie! I hear you about the humidity, it looks like it is starting to comeback. Actually Lisa and I won't have much a choice about it starting this weekend. We are going to visit my parents down in Florida which means we will have a lot of hot humid runs coming up.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks Kenny!

Martin I hope you have a good trip! I was in FL for undergrad and it was plenty humid and hot. I wasn't really running at the time but walked and that was hot enough. I don't know how people do anything there outside. I ran the Pensacola Marathon and that was fun but that was in Feb..

Baby's feeling better, now my husband and I are both sick. Fun times. I can't stop sneezing and I'm just glad I already got my run in for the day because I didn't get anything productive done today and I don't have too high of hopes for tomorrow.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Were did you go to school at in FL.? Sorry to hear that you and the hubby are both sick now! So is that something Lisa and I get to look forward to?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:01 am

Schuey wrote:Were did you go to school at in FL.? Sorry to hear that you and the hubby are both sick now! So is that something Lisa and I get to look forward to?

Pensacola Christian. about 4,000 students private college.

Well, we might have gotten sick with different things because she didn't sneeze as much as I did but honestly I think this is the first time she got sick first. She's really a healthy little girl I think much of that is because she stays home with either me during the week or her daddy on Saturdays when it's my turn to work plus she is breastfed which is still helpful for her immunity. But yeah, I have a friend who has 7 kids and she said once one of them gets sick it's like dominoes and they all get it within a day or so of each other.

Gross sinus stuff this a.m. and I took ibuprofen on an empty stomach since I'm fasting for my blood draw at the doctor's. I guess I'll just have to tell him I'm sick, too, although this was supposed to be a healthy preventative visit. I'm sure I'll get better on my own within a few days but I didn't even sleep in because I couldn't breathe lying down any more.

Today's a rest day, I hope I'm up for my run tomorrow but if not, I'll rest again and look forward to a good week next week.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:40 am

I hope you feel better. If you're fasting make sure after you fuel back up before you do anything hard again.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks Alex, I'm taking something to eat at the doctor's office, it's just a midnight till appt fast which is at 8:30 so nothing too long.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Sorry you are sick, Julie. Wait till your daughter is in school, that's when they catch things from kids who go to school sick and bring it home. Hope you recovery quickly, it's no fun to be sick.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Julie wrote:
Schuey wrote:Were did you go to school at in FL.? Sorry to hear that you and the hubby are both sick now! So is that something Lisa and I get to look forward to?

Pensacola Christian. about 4,000 students private college.

Hey, I spent many of my formative years in Pensacola as well. Went to the Pensacola School of Liberal Arts. I looked at the marathon route there about a year ago. It is a double loop isn't it? Along Escambia bay down Palafox over to the foot of the 3-mile bridge or something like that, right?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 am

John - no kidding! The first year I worked in a large public high school I got a new illness about every 3 weeks. Not fun.

Tom - I think they keep changing the course, it wasn't a double loop when I ran it, we went over a bridge but they also took us out to the less pretty parts like by the airport. I'm not sure...I ran it in 2007 and I know one of my friends ran it a few years earlier and said it was completely different for him, too.

Still sick, no running this morning. No energy and I'm not running tomorrow because I have to work and that's pretty much non-stop running anyway and I need to conserve my energy. Hopefully I'm up for some semblance of a long run Sunday and can get back into things. On the bright side, I guess I'm giving all my body a chance to rest and just ward off any potential injuries, right? And for some reason, when I'm sick, I really eat more. It's like my stomach hurts more if I don't eat even if I don't have a huge appetite it feels better to eat. Blah. So much for a great weight loss week. Next week will be better.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:29 am

Pensacola, FL? - I did the double bridge run back in 2007. Kick ass time I had for being a newbie. Tail wind much of the way.

Feel better!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Julie that sucks you're still sick. Well I guess better now than the fall before a race. Get well.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Pensacola, FL? - I did the double bridge run back in 2007. Kick ass time I had for being a newbie. Tail wind much of the way.

Feel better!

Yep! I regretfully wasn't a runner in college, though. Thanks for the well wishes, finally feeling improved.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie that sucks you're still sick. Well I guess better now than the fall before a race. Get well.

Alex, for sure. Although I've gotten sick about 2 weeks before races before and it was probably the best thing that could have happened to me because it forced me to rest plenty.

Finally feeling quite a bit better. Have a pretty painful and at times gross cough but doing better. I survived work yesterday and this morning got up at 4:30 to run. There was a strong thunderstorm at the time, though, so I decided to go back to bed. Didn't get any more sleep, though and the whole family got up at 6:00...by 7 the storm had mostly passed through and I decided to try to run 10 miles fairly easy. I picked a hilly enough route that was along pretty high traffic roads. There are a few guys loose right now who are beating up and shooting people randomly. Last week a man got beaten up on the bike path so I think I"m done taking the jogging stroller out for awhile since that's where we run.

Anyway, I ran about 9:50 overall pace for the 10 miles. A few of them were as low as 9:05 and a few I took water/walk breaks and ended up 10:20-30. About 100% humidity and 70-some degrees. It sprinkled just a few minutes but otherwise just remained humid. Got home all nice and tired and sweaty but am so glad I finally got out after not running Thur-Fri-Sat.

Tomorrow I meet a friend for a long run that we canceled today due to lightning. I'm going to attempt 18 but will be happy with whatever I can get. I'm still not 100% but yesterday I felt significantly better than I did the day before.

Thanks all for the well wishes. I hope I didn't whine too much. I go to work and see patients who have it so much worse and then I whine about a sinus infection.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:25 pm

Take it easy on the 18. If you are just getting over something, don't push yourself back into the illness by running your body down.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:10 am

JohnP wrote:Take it easy on the 18. If you are just getting over something, don't push yourself back into the illness by running your body down.

Good advice. I listened to my body and just ran 10 miles fairly easy pace. I'm still tired and our neighbor's fireworks until 3 a.m. didn't help anything either.

Happy Independence Day!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 am

6 miles around 10:00 pace, too many walk/cough breaks and the humidity didn't help my breathing either. One of these days I'll feel better and be back to training!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Julie, you'll need to figure out that line between it's ok to keep running while getting better and shutting it down because you're not getting better. I'm sure this is the last thing you wanted to be dealing with during the summer. Take care.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Good luck on the training for Fox Cities! Hopefully it'll be another PR race for you. Even though you were sick, it looks like you had some pretty solid runs regardless. I hope you're feeling better now. Sinus infections aren't fun.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:01 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie, you'll need to figure out that line between it's ok to keep running while getting better and shutting it down because you're not getting better. I'm sure this is the last thing you wanted to be dealing with during the summer. Take care.

Yeah, not really sure what to do now,. thank you.

Penelope wrote:Good luck on the training for Fox Cities! Hopefully it'll be another PR race for you. Even though you were sick, it looks like you had some pretty solid runs regardless. I hope you're feeling better now. Sinus infections aren't fun.

Thanks! Sinus infections are so effective at draining all energy out of me. I sat on the grass while my toddler played outside yesterday because I just didn't feel up to anything.

Well, I got up and ran 6 miles today pretty slowly. Maybe I should have slept in instead. My training schedule is getting ignored this week, that is for sure. I feel fairly decent, just tired and then with the humidity it's even harder to breathe and I end up coughing quite a bit. I'm not trying to be stupid here or make myself sicker. I have been napping with my daughter and that helps but otherwise this might just take a little time.

Thanks for reading. One of these days I'll be back to some good training.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:08 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie, you'll need to figure out that line between it's ok to keep running while getting better and shutting it down because you're not getting better. I'm sure this is the last thing you wanted to be dealing with during the summer. Take care.

That is a good point! Hope you are feeling better!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 am

Julie wrote: There are a few guys loose right now who are beating up and shooting people randomly. Last week a man got beaten up on the bike path so I think I"m done taking the jogging stroller out for awhile since that's where we run.

Ok... What??? Where do you live again? Sounds like the wild, wild west!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 am

Peg Coover wrote:

Thanks, still low on energy, I just rested today and slept in until 6!

Natalie Wolf wrote:
Julie wrote: There are a few guys loose right now who are beating up and shooting people randomly. Last week a man got beaten up on the bike path so I think I"m done taking the jogging stroller out for awhile since that's where we run.

Ha, yeah, Lincoln, NE????? Crazy...I just read in the paper about the guy getting beaten up at 7 a.m. while "jogging." Attempted robbery? Why would anyone even try to rob someone on the bike path? Runners don't generally carry their wallets, do they? I'm doing well to have a penny on me that I found on the street.

Still tired, no running today. Will try again tomorrow. Oh and my weight is up, too. Next week will be better. 10 weeks until my marathon.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:34 am

Julie wrote:
Peg Coover wrote:

Thanks, still low on energy, I just rested today and slept in until 6!

Natalie Wolf wrote:

Ha, yeah, Lincoln, NE????? Crazy...I just read in the paper about the guy getting beaten up at 7 a.m. while "jogging." Attempted robbery? Why would anyone even try to rob someone on the bike path? Runners don't generally carry their wallets, do they? I'm doing well to have a penny on me that I found on the street.

Still tired, no running today. Will try again tomorrow. Oh and my weight is up, too. Next week will be better. 10 weeks until my marathon.

This seems to be one of the great challenges of training....life gets in the way.

Having read through your blog, I am inspired by your dedication to getting up early to run, taking care of a young child and all that entails. Hopefully your body will kick in and drive those invaders out soon! Our bodies expend a lot of energy when we are sick to try and heal, thus the fatigue.

Regarding the dangers of being accosted while running, at some point I am considering having my daughter go through some type of self defense training. Obviously guys are not completely immune from this either, but for ladies it is really something to consider. Running in a group helps for sure.

Another interesting perspective on diet that has been helpful for me as a runner is: The Paleo diet for athletes by Cordain. A lot of what is said in the book makes sense. It really helped me in terms of recovery as well. I am not a strict adherent to the diet but it is where I hope to be in the future. I think in terms of progress, not perfection.

Good luck in your training and with the work you are able to put in, I am hopeful that you can give your PR a run for its money! Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 3 424776184
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:46 pm

jon c wrote:

This seems to be one of the great challenges of training....life gets in the way.

Having read through your blog, I am inspired by your dedication to getting up early to run, taking care of a young child and all that entails. Hopefully your body will kick in and drive those invaders out soon! Our bodies expend a lot of energy when we are sick to try and heal, thus the fatigue.

Regarding the dangers of being accosted while running, at some point I am considering having my daughter go through some type of self defense training. Obviously guys are not completely immune from this either, but for ladies it is really something to consider. Running in a group helps for sure.

Another interesting perspective on diet that has been helpful for me as a runner is: The Paleo diet for athletes by Cordain. A lot of what is said in the book makes sense. It really helped me in terms of recovery as well. I am not a strict adherent to the diet but it is where I hope to be in the future. I think in terms of progress, not perfection.

Good luck in your training and with the work you are able to put in, I am hopeful that you can give your PR a run for its money! Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 3 424776184

Thanks Jon, yeah life can get in the way and weather and illnesses and whatever else...Running is my non-mommy thing I do for myself and it keeps me out of depression so I kind of feel like I have to do it more or less...I was very depressed before I started running and it was the best thing I ever did for my health/general well-being for sure. I think I'm in it for life just to maintain feeling normal but I don't mind. Some of my friends are older, one of them will be 72 yrs old soon and still running marathons. Hopefully my body holds up for it!

I'll look at the paleo diet. We do eat pretty healthfully, mostly whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc.

I try to run in groups as much as I can or stick with pretty busy streets. One of my friends was beaten in the middle of the afternoon, though (the perpetrator was on drugs, so I guess that can occur at any time) but definitely following some basic safety guidelines helps.

Thanks for stopping by!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 am

Finally feeling quite a bit better, still coughed a little on my run but much better than Wednesday. I ran 8 miles, first 6 easy pace (around 10:00) mile 7 9:30 mile 8 8:56 Not quite the workout I was supposed to do but I was still trying to figure out what my body could handle. 68 degrees, humid.

Tomorrow 6-7 miles with some strides before I go to work and then Sunday 20 miles or as close to 20 as my body wants to go. I'm looking forward to a good training week next week and getting back into wt loss, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next