365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

2012 London Olympics Commercial

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2012 London Olympics Commercial

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:56 pm

I am by no means an olympic athlete, but this commercial really relates to me.

Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2012 London Olympics Commercial

Post  Julie on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Nice! I'm not quite that dedicated (I still take one day off/week) but I could relate to it on a small level.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Relate 2 what? Nick has a citi card?

Sorry, that's the only thing I can relate to.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:27 am

I got dessert last night and I feel really guilty.

Stan
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:34 am

I feel like a crumudgeon because the commercial just does not work for me. A truly dedicated and elite athelete who POURS themselves into their job does some form of exercise/prep/therapy/fueling.....what.....8 hours a day. 10? You can be the most dedicated athlete that ever walked the face of the planet and there's STILL a ton of down time every day. Bragging that you don't read books and don't watch TV makes me think of that Senifeld episode where Elaine is on a plane trip with Puddy and he simply just stares at the seat in front of him. She asks him if he's going to read a book or watch the movie on the plane. Puddy: "I'm good". So now I think of those athletes as staring blank faced at a wall Puddy-like instead of reading a book.

Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 am

@Chris M wrote:I feel like a crumudgeon because the commercial just does not work for me. A truly dedicated and elite athelete who POURS themselves into their job does some form of exercise/prep/therapy/fueling.....what.....8 hours a day. 10? You can be the most dedicated athlete that ever walked the face of the planet and there's STILL a ton of down time every day. Bragging that you don't read books and don't watch TV makes me think of that Senifeld episode where Elaine is on a plane trip with Puddy and he simply just stares at the seat in front of him. She asks him if he's going to read a book or watch the movie on the plane. Puddy: "I'm good". So now I think of those athletes as staring blank faced at a wall Puddy-like instead of reading a book.

That's a fair point, Chris. Unless you're a 7 year old Chinese swimmer, where you're being put on a Rack, you do have downtime. Enough to even do a few bong hits.
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:45 pm

@Chris M wrote:I feel like a crumudgeon because the commercial just does not work for me. A truly dedicated and elite athelete who POURS themselves into their job does some form of exercise/prep/therapy/fueling.....what.....8 hours a day. 10? You can be the most dedicated athlete that ever walked the face of the planet and there's STILL a ton of down time every day. Bragging that you don't read books and don't watch TV makes me think of that Senifeld episode where Elaine is on a plane trip with Puddy and he simply just stares at the seat in front of him. She asks him if he's going to read a book or watch the movie on the plane. Puddy: "I'm good". So now I think of those athletes as staring blank faced at a wall Puddy-like instead of reading a book.

I get your point here Chris, but I think that the real meaning/message that is being conveyed by this commercial is that the athletes make sacrifices for their "sport", their commitment. You can't tell me that you haven't turned down offers from friends to go out, because you had to run in the morning...or you haven't given up sweats or processed foods as you got near your goal race. The commercial is about being dedicated to what they do and the sacrifices that they'll make to achieve their goals.

For me, I choose to abstain from alcohol during my training cycle, sweats get cut out of my diet 1-2 months before my race, and my social life is neglected during my training cycle (especially the closer I get to the race)...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:

I get your point here Chris, but I think that the real meaning/message that is being conveyed by this commercial is that the athletes make sacrifices for their "sport", their commitment. You can't tell me that you haven't turned down offers from friends to go out, because you had to run in the morning...or you haven't given up sweats or processed foods as you got near your goal race. The commercial is about being dedicated to what they do and the sacrifices that they'll make to achieve their goals.

For me, I choose to abstain from alcohol during my training cycle, sweats get cut out of my diet 1-2 months before my race, and my social life is neglected during my training cycle (especially the closer I get to the race)...

Actually, I think Chris ran a 10 mile PR while hung over....
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:48 am

@Nick Morris wrote:

All good points, and no doubt you and everyone here has made sacrifices to reach certain goals.

But at the same time, we all need to remember that running is part of our life. It's not the whole thing. I feel like one negative stigma about running is that we are obsessive, or that training for a race consumes our life. When someone hears my weekly mileage, I often get in response, "how do you possibly have time to train that much?" Well, its only about 12 hours per week. Is that really that much? I don't think so.

So I'm not sure this commercial conveys the right message. I would prefer the masses learn that one can be dedicated to a sport and goal without having to eliminate the other enjoyable parts of their life.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:04 am

@Dave-O wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:

All good points, and no doubt you and everyone here has made sacrifices to reach certain goals.

But at the same time, we all need to remember that running is part of our life. It's not the whole thing. I feel like one negative stigma about running is that we are obsessive, or that training for a race consumes our life. When someone hears my weekly mileage, I often get in response, "how do you possibly have time to train that much?" Well, its only about 12 hours per week. Is that really that much? I don't think so.

So I'm not sure this commercial conveys the right message. I would prefer the masses learn that one can be dedicated to a sport and goal without having to eliminate the other enjoyable parts of their life.

I'd like to add that I'm growing weary of these exaggerated claims by athletes in commercials to make them seem more heroic. Hearing somene say "I haven't watched TV in a year," well, that's a personal choice in terms of how you CHOOSE to spend your off time, it's not that you don't HAVE time, which I think was Chris' point.

My playing semipro volleyball contributed to the demise of my first marriage. It wasn't the only thing (trust me), but 6 months a year, I had practice 2 nights a week (after working a full day), worked out in the gym the other 3 weeknights, and had tournaments on the weekends. So when my ex-wife's lawyer listed it as a key factor in the divorce complaint, I can't say it wasn't true.

So should I say that I sacrificed more than, say an unmarried player, or a married player whose wife didn't object (for whatever reason? No. It was a choice that I made. A choice I've been careful to not repeat as a runner.

Last edited by Martin VW on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:11 am

@Martin VW wrote:
My playing semipro volleyball contributed to the demise of my first marriage. It wasn't the only thing (trust me), but 6 months a year, I had practice 2 nights a week, worked out in the gym the other 3 weeknights, and had tournaments on the weekends. So when my ex-wife's lawyer listed it as a key factor in the divorce complaint, I can't say it wasn't true.

Middle hitter?

Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

@Mr MattM wrote:
@Martin VW wrote:
My playing semipro volleyball contributed to the demise of my first marriage. It wasn't the only thing (trust me), but 6 months a year, I had practice 2 nights a week, worked out in the gym the other 3 weeknights, and had tournaments on the weekends. So when my ex-wife's lawyer listed it as a key factor in the divorce complaint, I can't say it wasn't true.

Middle hitter?

Yup.

At the time I was the 2nd tallest payer on the East Coast. Now 6'7" women are playing. I've been meaning to find out if the net is still 6" lower. My guess is, yes.

I'm really enjoying the coverage in London. This is my first Olympics with a 60" HDTV, so I can see the nuances like hand angle.

And talk about paradigm shifts in sports, when I was playing, tall players didn't play beach, only 6 man indoors. The beach game was played below the net (serving, receiving serve and defense) while the indoor game was played above the net (spiking and blocking).

Did you play, Matt? I know it's a big game in your part of the country.
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 am

@Martin VW wrote:Did you play, Matt? I know it's a big game in your part of the country.

I was never much of a player, but I used to run with guys/gals who played competitive rec league... a few had been competitive collegiate players. My first wife was a player (setter) and regional referee. It's a fascinating sport.

Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 am

@Mr MattM wrote:
@Martin VW wrote:Did you play, Matt? I know it's a big game in your part of the country.

I was never much of a player, but I used to run with guys/gals who played competitive rec league... a few had been competitive collegiate players. My first wife was a player (setter) and regional referee. It's a fascinating sport.

It was the sport I was born to play, based on my height and build and endurance and fast twitch muscle composition, but we didn't have boys' volleyball growing up in NJ so I only started playing after college.

If only they had introduced the libero 20 years earlier. THAT would have been a perfect complement to my game. Smile
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Good points, Martin. I would prefer people say "hey I could go out and run-walk for 30 minutes before work" kind of inspired vs. "that person is super human and I will never be anything like them, so why bother, let's sleep in and not exercise." Whenever anyone says they could never run as far as I do I'm really quick to remind them I started out walk-running and not very in shape and it's been a very long progression over time and completely manageable for me, a very ordinary person, to build up to a marathon and 50K.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:

Competitive rec?

Jerry coached his DD's rec soccer team as head coach first time Monday night to beat a competitive team. I guess we are a competitive rec team now. lol!
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:

We are born to run and more ....... lol!
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Maybe its my own bias having not been a runner all my life but I never think of runners as having to sacrifice much of anything time-wise. In terms of time committment, running at a pretty high level is the least demanding sport out there. Say you train at an 8:00 pace. If you run 10 hours a week, that's 75 miles a week. Thats a pretty big weekly number on "only" 10 hours a week. I don't think there is another sport that you could be even reasonably serious about and spend so little time doing it. You want to be age-group competitive in golf? You'll be playing and practicing and travelling to and from the course way more than 10 hours each week or you are not going to come close to your potential. Biking? Double that 10 hours or more if you want to come close to your best times. Stuff like ice hockey, soccer and volleyball start getting into organized practices, long tournaments and you would be at 20+ hours a week before you blink. Running is unbelievably efficient time wise and you can do a ton of it without impacting job, family or sleep. There are 168 hours each week so even spending a full 10 hours running (and that's a LOT) is very doable even for the busiest of us out there. People are fooling themselves if they think there's not enough time to do it all. Yes, of course it is always hard to balance things and there are never enough hours in the day.....but being a runner makes actually doing it a lot easier than it would be in any other sport. Anyway, just my two cents. I think what I really reacted to in the commercial is some athlete effectively bragging that they don't watch TV or read. That seems like a silly thing to tout as a virtue or sacrifice but I'm always amazed at how many people (not just athletes) proudly say stuff like "I don't read".
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Maybe they haven't watched TV in a year because they can't afford it.

http://atlascoached.com/2012/07/30/the-price-of-professionalism/

With all the #Rule40 and #WeDemandChange chatter going on, it is being apparent how tough it can be to try to make a living as a pro runner.

As for the not reading, well, they can still get a library card. Smile
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:00 pm

We don't own a TV but I got a library card for my daughter when she was a few weeks old. Anyway. I'd rather read than watch TV any day.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top