365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics Track & Field

+18
Jerry
Admin
healdgator
Dave-O
wendy_miller
Chris Coleman
Michael Mitchell
Diego
Mike MacLellan
ssilvert
Michele "1L" Keane
Matt W
Mark B
Schuey
Martin VW
Chris M
mountandog
Alex Kubacki
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Olympics Track & Field - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics Track & Field

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:26 am

Performance of the Olympics. Heck best race I've ever seen. Wire to wire after rounds with no rabbit, are you kidding.

Solomon and Symmonds both go sub 1:43 and miss out on medals. Incredible.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:14 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Performance of the Olympics. Heck best race I've ever seen. Wire to wire after rounds with no rabbit, are you kidding.

Yep! Running Money
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:53 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Performance of the Olympics. Heck best race I've ever seen. Wire to wire after rounds with no rabbit, are you kidding.

Really was incredible.

Its too bad the mainstream media is shedding tears with Lolo instead of focusing on performances like that.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:23 am

I know this is from a while back, but Evan Jagar, a local kid, impressed me with his recent American record in the Steeplechase and 6th in the Olympic final. This being only his 7th steeple race shows how versatile he is and with more experience who knows!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:37 pm

I'm late to the party guys. Sorry about that. Been focusing on work, my own running and moving in with my fiancee to our first place together (in reverse order of importance Smile ). About the Olympics, first the good stuff:

• Rupp, Rupp, Rupp - My favorite performance of the Olympics thus far. I don't think he bows to Farah in any way. I think he holds on for dear life when Farah kicks and somehow manages to hang with him. Salazar was absolutely spot-on when he said that brining in the best foreign talent would raise the level of his US runners. Do you really think Rupp would be where he is today without Farah pushing him in training day in and day out? No chance. He outkicked all the Ethiopians and Kenyans, which included the GOAT Kenenisa Bekele. Enough said.
  • The 800m final was one of the best track races I have ever seen. From a performance standpoint it was amazing. I'm just more of a distance fan. So a race like Haile vs. Tergat at Sydney in 2000 would be more to my liking. But Rudisha is absolutely amazing. What a class act both on and off the track. I was really impressed with Symmonds afterwards too as he said:
  • "That was phenomenal. That race is going to go down in history as the greatest 800m ever run on all counts. You've got Rudisha setting a world record. You've got 8 people, almost all running personal bests. 1:43.7 - I said would probably win a medal here, if not gold, and it was good for last place here. What more can you ask out of an 8(00)? What more can you ask for me and Duane for bringing the product like that? I'm very proud of what we were able to accomplish."
  • Ezekiel Kembo is the greatest steepler of all-time. All he does is show up and win the championship meets year after year. He's very entertaining too with his antics down the home stretch and dance post races. I like having a personality like that in an otherwise confusing event to mainstream sports fans.
  • Bolt is unbelievable. Will Jamaica get the 4x100m gold again too? Sure looks that way. That would be six gold medals for Bolt in four years. Wow. He already said he would like to come back for Rio in four years to end his career. I hope he can stay healthy and lower the WRs even further. Maybe take a crack at the 400m WR too.
  • Ashton Eaton is also unbelievable. His upside is amazing. He can greatly improve in the throwing events so I suspect we'll see him raise the WR even more.

Now the bad:

• I see Tarmoh is getting left off the final 4x100m relay team today. Then she took to Twitter to complain about it:
  • She let off a series of tweets about the issue:

Her first Tweet read, “USATF boy. Never been this upset in my life. Time for a change.”

That was followed almost immediately by a second Tweet reading, “Got third at trials and still gotta deal with politics. smh...” the abbreviation meaning shaking my head.

A third successive Tweet read, “Wow..life isn't fair. My time will come.” About an hour after that, Tarmoh Tweeted, “Enough is enough.”
  • Just because she finished tied for third in the 100m final at the US Trials doesn't guarantee her anything. She did a crappy job in Monaco a few weeks ago in the relay and I suspect this is what led to her being left off the team for the final. Yes, she ran great in the Olympic prelim relay but she always has to work well with others. I suspect she is not exactly a stellar teammate. We should have left her home altogether. Her attitude is absolute crap.
  • If I were a betting man I would agree that Makhloufi is going to be busted for doping at a later date and his medal relinquished. Manzano is going to get the gold and Centrowitz the bronze. Sorry to be so suspicious but that move he made down the backstretch with 300m to go was unreal. He shouldn't be able to pull away from the best in the world that easily.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Ok, women's 5k starting in about 2.5 hours. Who ya got? It's hard seeing an American grab a medal...

Olympics Track & Field - Page 4 W5k10
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:51 pm

I forgot about Tirunesh Dibaba. She's also un-real. Did you know she or a member of her family have won 5 of the last 6 gold medals in the women's 10,000m? And seven medals overall in the 10,000m since 1992. Wow.

If she doubles back in the 5,000m again like she did four years ago I'm calling it a better performance than Bolt's over the last two Olympics. Especially since dealing with 16 months worth of injuries the last four years.

What an athlete.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Dave-O wrote:Ok, women's 5k starting in about 2.5 hours. Who ya got? It's hard seeing an American grab a medal...

Olympics Track & Field - Page 4 W5k10

It's going to come down to Dibaba vs. Defar vs. Cheruiyot I believe. Maybe Kipyego can hold on and sneak in for the bronze if one of them blows up. I can't bet against Dibaba so I'll pick her for the W.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Awesome night, highlighted for me by the Gators going gold and silver in the TJ. Rudisha was amazing, just amazing. And Bolt is my favorite athlete in the world.

As is probably apparent from my Olympic Trials thread, I would have left Tarmoh off the final relay team as well. The relay is about teamwork and gutting it out for the other relay members. I wouldn't trust her to accomplish either. On a somewhat related note, reports were that Jeff Demps was running with the 4x1 team in the opening rounds today. I record during the day and avoid spoilers so I don't know how it went. I love Demps (Gator), but he doesn't have a could track record with the baton exchanges. I'm a little concerned there.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:53 pm

A bad attitude (Tarmoh) should not be rewarded. Period. I think we all try to teach our kids that life sometimes isn't fair - so suck it up and always do your best - no bitching allowed.

Don't forget Trey Hardee in the Decathlon either - the two of them were on NBC late night and they were great together - talk about the mutual admiration society, but they were genuine in their respect. It was very cool to see.

David Rudisha is a major class act.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:A bad attitude (Tarmoh) should not be rewarded. Period. I think we all try to teach our kids that life sometimes isn't fair - so suck it up and always do your best - no bitching allowed.

Don't forget Trey Hardee in the Decathlon either - the two of them were on NBC late night and they were great together - talk about the mutual admiration society, but they were genuine in their respect. It was very cool to see.

David Rudisha is a major class act.

Great points Michele.

Between 2008 and 2010 Hardee was the best decathlete in the world. Then Eaton shows up and now he has to settle for second each time. Must not be easy for him so I applaud the way in which he is handling himself.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Great moment for Defar just now in the women's 5,000m. She's an unbelievable runner in her own rite and typically Dibaba and Cheruiyot overshadow her. Not today. Her outpour of emotion afterwards was touching.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Looks like the relay coach made the right decision in keeping Tarmoh off. An absolutely dominating performance for the US women.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:49 am

Great performance by Meb in his last Olympics. Disappointing to see Hall and Abdi drop.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:53 pm

mul21 wrote:Great performance by Meb in his last Olympics. Disappointing to see Hall and Abdi drop.

Yep I agree the best part of the men's marathon was Meb's performance. You could tell right from the start that there was something up with Hall when he dropped off the the 2:08 pace back to 38th place. Abdi was a little of surprised although if you look at him around mile 2 or 3 he did have some look of pain on his face. Bad timing to have injuries stop you on the big day, interesting to hear that Hall was battling injury throughout his training cycle. Good thing for Hall is he still has a few Olympic's left.

All in all I would have to say that both the men's and women's marathons in these Olympics were boring! The highlight for running were the 5000m, 1000m, 100m and watching the US Women just flat-out perform like studs on the track.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:59 pm

One thing Hall might not have considered when he chose God as his coach... God rests on Sundays.

Shocked

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Thank you Meb for continuing to inspire.

I'm not buying Hall's excuses - maybe a little coaching would help????? I've run on a bad hamstring before, and yes, I know I'm not an elite, but really, this is the Olympics.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Thank you Meb for continuing to inspire.

I'm not buying Hall's excuses - maybe a little coaching would help????? I've run on a bad hamstring before, and yes, I know I'm not an elite, but really, this is the Olympics.

Agree on both points! Well said.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 am

Two silvers, 3 4th place finishes in the main distance events (I'm counting the 1500). Great showing.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Olympics Track & Field - Page 4 Empty Hall

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Was it me or was that the oddest interview I have ever seen from Ryan Hall after dropping out? I mean just perplexing. I am trying to find it.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:Was it me or was that the oddest interview I have ever seen from Ryan Hall after dropping out? I mean just perplexing. I am trying to find it.

It must be on line, and I agree it was a bit strange.

Now, I know that Desi dropped out, and I am not annoyed with her like I am with Ryan. I don't think it is the "woman" thing but purely the fact that it was no surprise as we all knew her to be injured. Should she have given up her spot??? That could be the debate. Many have thought that Ryan should have devulged an issue if there might be one. Instead it seems more like, I wasn't going to win, so therefore....................... Same debate as over Paula in 2008 - should she have finished???
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:Was it me or was that the oddest interview I have ever seen from Ryan Hall after dropping out? I mean just perplexing. I am trying to find it.

Now, I know that Desi dropped out, and I am not annoyed with her like I am with Ryan. I don't think it is the "woman" thing but purely the fact that it was no surprise as we all knew her to be injured. Should she have given up her spot??? That could be the debate. Many have thought that Ryan should have devulged an issue if there might be one. Instead it seems more like, I wasn't going to win, so therefore....................... Same debate as over Paula in 2008 - should she have finished???

I hate to judge Hall without knowing more facts. The guy has been very consistent in his career and this is his first DNF.

That being said...

I follow him on Twitter. For weeks he's been boasting about great workouts, feeling fresh, having the pop back in his legs, contending in London, yada yada. As I said to Chris in an email, its probably my fault for believing what an athlete writes on twitter. Hell, maybe it was just his way of trying to trick himself into thinking "race day magic" would save the day. I've done the same, to some extent.

But everything with Hall during this build-up has felt disingenuous. Everyone knew Desi was hurt and I think she saved face by admitting she just wanted her day as an Olympian. With Hall...I don't know...it just seems like he's disconnected and justifies whatever happens as part of "God's plan." Then in his post-race interview, it doesn't even seem like he's convinced his hamstring is actually injured. It felt like just part of the excuse to drop out, but its no big deal because he prayed over it the night before.

Like I said, I am being overly reactionary to one DNF. But I am disappointed that our most talented marathoner doesn't seem too interested in maximizing that talent.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Maybe he just didn't have a long enough book on his iphone (or whatever it is).
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

I hate to judge Hall without knowing more facts. The guy has been very consistent in his career and this is his first DNF.

That being said...

I follow him on Twitter. For weeks he's been boasting about great workouts, feeling fresh, having the pop back in his legs, contending in London, yada yada. As I said to Chris in an email, its probably my fault for believing what an athlete writes on twitter. Hell, maybe it was just his way of trying to trick himself into thinking "race day magic" would save the day. I've done the same, to some extent.

But everything with Hall during this build-up has felt disingenuous. Everyone knew Desi was hurt and I think she saved face by admitting she just wanted her day as an Olympian. With Hall...I don't know...it just seems like he's disconnected and justifies whatever happens as part of "God's plan." Then in his post-race interview, it doesn't even seem like he's convinced his hamstring is actually injured. It felt like just part of the excuse to drop out, but its no big deal because he prayed over it the night before.

Like I said, I am being overly reactionary to one DNF. But I am disappointed that our most talented marathoner doesn't seem too interested in maximizing that talent.

I agree, Dave-O. I just think we feel cheated whereas we didn't with Desi because she was straight with us from the start.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 am

The dropout rate for the Olympic marathon is usually pretty high. These guys only have a couple of shots each year to make money off it and so if they're not feeling it they can save it for another.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4