365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MIND OVER IRONMAN

+19
Jim Lentz
JohnP
Alex Kubacki
Liz R
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
Jerry
Tom H
Dave Wolfe
ChasMcG
Schuey
Michele "1L" Keane
Natalie
Seth Harrison
Michael Mitchell
Kenny B.
Mrs. Schuey
Peg Coover
Randy E
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

MIND OVER IRONMAN - Page 2 Empty Re: MIND OVER IRONMAN

Post  Randy E Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 am

Good morning.

Yesterday workouts consisted of a 4 mile elliptical ( 34:42 ) in the morning and then a good bike trainer session late afternoon.
The bike workout looked like this:

12 minute warm up ( moderate ): Then, 12 X 1 minute LT sprints ( heart beating through chest ) with a 2 minute recovery between sprints and the a 26 minute cruise. The actual workout called for a 12 minute cool down after the sprints but I wanted more than that. So, the last 26 minutes were at a nice moderate pace. I cooled down afterwards. Total time was 1:14:00 and 20 miles.

This workout has helped some professional cyclists and triathletes reach new higher levels. It's not much different than some running specific fast interval workouts.

My swim lesson got cancelled yesterday. To bad it was cancelled as I stood at the facility waiting. The instructor kind of forgot. So, the owner let me use the endless pool for a while. The lesson is re-scheduled for next week. I'm not very fond of an endless pool. It seems hard to get in a groove. He also invited me to one of his early morning swim sessions free of charge. So maybe it was worth being stood up on. Things happen for a reason. We will see.

Today, swimming and maybe a run late afternoon when it's nice and hot out.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Randy.

I suppose you will run Boston next year and wonder if you train exclusively on running after New York, what happens? Your recent 70.3 is so impressive.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

Maybe you are onto something. Train for HIM and run your best marathon ever. Seems reasonable actually!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Jerry and Kenny, good to see you both. I have to say, it is nice being able to see bigger pictures of people, isn't it.

Jerry, I am planning to run Boston next year as long as I get in. My time was 3:29:31 (it may get adjusted lower because I sent a letter to the BAA. We shall see. My Garmin said 3:29:01 for a 30 second difference. ) Whatever. So, with my age group qualifying time of 3:35:00 I'm thinking I will get in.

My Boston training will again be blended in with either a half Ironman training plan or a full Ironman training plan. I guess triathlons are a part of me now and I always want to be 1/2 Ironman distance ready. I think the biking component totally helps with running so I would never focus only on running.

I'll pretty much do what I did this year to prepare for Boston.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Randy E wrote:Hi Jerry and Kenny, good to see you both. I have to say, it is nice being able to see bigger pictures of people, isn't it.

Jerry, I am planning to run Boston next year as long as I get in. My time was 3:29:31 (it may get adjusted lower because I sent a letter to the BAA. We shall see. My Garmin said 3:29:01 for a 30 second difference. ) Whatever. So, with my age group qualifying time of 3:35:00 I'm thinking I will get in.

My Boston training will again be blended in with either a half Ironman training plan or a full Ironman training plan. I guess triathlons are a part of me now and I always want to be 1/2 Ironman distance ready. I think the biking component totally helps with running so I would never focus only on running.

I'll pretty much do what I did this year to prepare for Boston.

I would say you can get knock out a 3:25.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Kenny, I would say you are right. That would be my next goal. Actually I'd like to run a sub 3 hour marathon some day.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Randy E wrote:Kenny, I would say you are right. That would be my next goal. Actually I'd like to run a sub 3 hour marathon some day.

Wow! I'd like to qualify for Boston before my kids kids have kids.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:46 am

Good morning.

Yesterday's workouts consisted of swimming and running.

The swim started with a 1000 yard warm up where I built the pace a little as I went along. Even though I built the pace I kept the effort aerobic. Ended the warm up in 19:00. I followed the warm up with, 5 x 50 hard sprint and then 7 x 100 building pace throughout. After the main set I finished with a cool down.

I waited until 4 pm so I could run in the heat of the day. The temperature was around 88-90 with very high humidity. This may have been the most humid run this summer. I am also practicing nutrition/hydration this summer. I bought some products to use mainly for long distance biking in prep for Ironman Wisconsin. Namely, Carbo Pro, Ironman Perform Drink and Meta Salt Tablets.

For the run I decided to take two Meta Salt electrolyte pills and drink some water. Before the run I weighed myself (167) and then weighed myself after.

After the 6 miles I still lost 5 pounds of fluids after taking salt pills. Huh. Interesting. I'll continue to learn proper supplementation with the Meta Salt.

The run was good and the legs are back from the recent Kansas 70.3. I believe the legs are just about recovered if not fully. The run took 49:00 for an average pace of 8:10 with a final mile at 7:35. All in all I am feeling good.

Today will be a fun day of golf. I am playing with Bart Yasso. Hopefully the rain won't hold us back.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:34 am

Randy E wrote:Good morning.

Today will be a fun day of golf. I am playing with Bart Yasso. Hopefully the rain won't hold us back.

Sounds like a good day you had. You are playing with Bart! Wow! Enjoy it and let the sky's open up to a beautiful day for you!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 am

Kenny B. wrote:
Randy E wrote:Good morning.

Sounds like a good day you had. You are playing with Bart! Wow! Enjoy it and let the sky's open up to a beautiful day for you!

+1

Thanks for posting the link to the article on Overreaching/Overtraining. That is one of the better ones I've seen on the topic. Since I'm ramping up and branching out this cycle, it is of special interest to me.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 am

Good morning.

Golf yesterday with Bart Yasso was a ton of fun. He's just a regular guy and totally unassuming. We are golfing buddies now and I am sure we will play more in the future.

Training wise, yesterday was my Vision Quest Cycling coached class. Intensity is the name of the game in these computrainer sessions. VQ is the reason my cycling has improved so much. Last nights 26.5 mile 1.5 hour workout had two parts. First there was the easy spin warm up before class started. I always get there early and need to kill time, so I spin to warm up.

Each week has it's own training purpose and no class is the same. Muscle confusion? Yes.

Now it was time for the real warm up. Sometimes the warm ups are hard as well followed by a short recovery. Then you jump into the meat of the program. The session consisted of two pieces. The first segment: Warm up 10 minutes maintaining cadence with a step up in difficulty each 2 minutes.

Next was a lactate threshold effort, 2 x 10 minute maintaining watts of 270 and 285 respectfully. This was very hard. Next we changed it up and reset the computrainer to 150 watts. Now I pedaled at 22+ miles per hour with the set wattage. I would increase the watts every 5 minutes by 20 and continue the 22+ mph pace. By the time I got to 250 watts I was very pooped and it was time to back off and start cooling down.

I think I sweated more last night than any other VQ class. It's all good.

I also got invited by Dave ( VQ instructor with the title, "Director of Good News," ) to join the VQ Saturday 100 mile ride from Galena, IL to Lake Geneva, WI. We will go around Lake Geneva and head back. This will be my first 100 miler in preparation for Ironman Wisconsin. My goal is to do approx 5-7 of rides 100 miles plus before the event on Sept 11.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:44 am

Randy E wrote:This will be my first 100 miler in preparation for Ironman Wisconsin. My goal is to do approx 5-7 of rides 100 miles plus before the event on Sept 11.

Sounds like a great day yesterday! Those cycling classes sound tough, but are obviously paying dividends. 5-7 centuries is a heck of a goal, but you will no doubt conquer it. Are they SAG rides? Have fun!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:17 am

270-285 is how many watts/kg for you, Randy? That's a solid workout.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 am

Your cycling data must look like my running data to my wife. Nice work out and Golf sounded like a blast!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:270-285 is how many watts/kg for you, Randy? That's a solid workout.

Mike, I am not sure. I remember looking at that watts/kg and saw 1.9 but I do not remember what difficulty I was at at the time. My weight is 166 pounds.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Golf sounded like it was a lot of fun. I only meet Bart once at a race expo and he signed his book for me. I would agree from the short time I spent with him he seemed like a real down to Earth guy but you would know better now you are golf buddies. That is pretty darn cool!

Also good luck on that 100 mile ride, I have the feeling that you will do just fine! Keep up that great training.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:32 am

Good morning.

Thanks Schuey. Yes I like Bart. Spending 4+ hours with someone on the golf course is a great way to get to know someone. I am looking forward to the 100 miler. The venue of travel should be very pretty.

Yesterday was a very easy day for me. I only did 4 miles on the elliptical. I would classify yesterday as a recovery day. It's always good to "bank" easy days.

Today will consist of swimming and running.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

MIND OVER IRONMAN - Page 2 Empty Weekend Training

Post  Randy E Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:46 am

Good morning.

Last weekend was a busy training weekend. On Saturday I did my first 100 mile bike training ride in prep for IM Wisconsin. Eventually I'd like to do 6-7 more of these before the event. I was invited to ride with the Vision Quest Cycling Club. Vision Quest is where I go to my weekly cycling class. This also happened to be my initial century ride. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. The route was awesome as we travelled from Gurnee, IL to Lake Geneva, WI. We circled the lake and headed back to our starting spot.

The route was mainly all country roads with some hills along the way. Kind of rolling terrain. There were some tough hills to climb around Lake Geneva. During the ride I practiced hydration and nutrition. I decided to try Carbo Pro mixed with Ironman Perform. Each bottle contained 4 scoops Carbo Pro and 2 scoops IM Perform. The concoction was approx 600 calories per bottle (2). I also supplemented with Meta Salt to maintain electrolyte balances. Along the way I also ate one Cliff Bar and one Power Bar. By the way, I also had water.

I think the hydration/nutrition went well but I still need to drink more often. My weight loss during the ride was about 6 pounds. The recommended or acceptable amount is 2 % which would be 3-4 pounds. So, next time I'll sip more and more often.

Sunday I wanted to back that long bike ride with a long run. I thought the training effect from that, ( with proper recovery ), would be awesome. So, I ran 13.4 miles. The beginning was with slightly stiff legs but that soon abated. The weather, sunny and warm, was perfect for a run along the lake. The run took approx 1:55:00 and I felt good the whole way.

Today I will focus on swimming and perhaps a very easy bike workout on the trainer. I'd also like to fit in P90X chest and back. Wednesday will be evaluation testing at Vision Quest. This test will consist of 20 minutes as hard as you can going up a hill. This test is a bitch. After that I believe we will be doing a 4 minute super max effort where you go even harder than during the 20 minute test. Many watts will be produced during the 4 minutes. Maintaining those watts will be key.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Nice week of training! ALways good to watch!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Catching up. You are smart to be planning your hydration strategy now and to be doing some hot runs.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:40 am

That's a very impressive back to back. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:40 am

Hope those legs have recovered from Saturday/Sunday for your testing tomorrow. Sounds like a modified LT test and a VO2max test. Oof. Nice workouts this weekend.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Great weekend, Randy. I can imagine big benefits from those centuries.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:43 pm

How'd you do on the test, Randy? Uphill 20 minutes? That sounds pretty tough.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 am

I saw over on FB that you're going to become a USAT coach. That's very cool. I wish I lived in closer proximity to take advantage as this is definitely on my radar.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next