365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

MIND OVER IRONMAN

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MIND OVER IRONMAN

Post  Randy E on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:41 am

Hi everyone and thanks for the comments.

Training continues to go well. After my weekend workouts of 100 mile bike and 13.4 mile run I took it easy on Monday and Tuesday. Easy means doing a few miles on the elliptical in the morning just to loosen up the legs. Also, I continue to swim and work in P90X when I can. With all my triathlon training being in high gear I must cautiously select which P90X programs I do. I tend to focus mainly on Abs Ripper, Chest & Back and Shoulders and Arms. The legs are getting plenty of work as it is. I would love to do P90X Legs and Back more often but that really trashes the legs. I may work in more plyometrics though.

Had an excellent brick workout yesterday consisting of a 20 mile bike trainer session ( 1:12:33 ) followed immediately by a 4 mile transition run ( 30:58 ). The run was great with splits: 8:32, 7:42, 7:25, 7:14. Interestingly the legs no longer feel so heavy getting off the bike.

Also, I had a very worthwhile swim lesson yesterday. This is the lesson I was supposed to have last week but the instructor forgot. He really is an excellent guy so I forgave him. He watched me swim in the endless pool with my wetsuit on and also video taped the action. It was interesting to see myself swim.

Analyzing my stroke mechanics I noticed how differently my left side was from my right. It looked like two different swimmers. The left had a high elbow recovery and the right more of a straight arm. The left had little push/finish of the stroke whereas the right was good. So we worked on more of a reach with each arm, less high elbow on the left side ( more straight arm with maybe a very slight elbow bend ), more finish on the left and becoming longer in the water. Also my left hand entry in the water was very close to my face and down at a 45 degree angle. This caused more drag. We wanted to create more of a straight long reach with the hand maybe 4 inches below the waters surface and then begin the catch, pull and finish.

By the end of the lesson I looked so much better and look forward to working on these changes.

My Vision Quest evaluation is tonight. So, I will take it easy on the legs today and work on swimming.

Ironman Wisconsin is really not that far away. After the Racine 70.3 July 17 the Ironman is only about 8 weeks away. Sometimes I wonder if I am all that prepared. Of the three triathlon disciplines I am least prepared for swimming. So, better focus a lot on that. Also, I have several more 100 mile bike rides to do. Boy oh boy, better get busy.

Randy E
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 am

Seth, are you saying that you are interested in becoming a coach? There is a clinic in Philidelphia in a couple months.
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

VISION QUEST EVALUATION

Post  Randy E on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:00 am

Tonight was evaluation night at Vision Quest. Evaluation comes at the end of every 8 week session and consists of a 10 minute hard warm up ( after the warm up you think, "how can I ever do well on the evaluation?" ), a 5 minute cool down and then a ball busting 20 minute, give it all you got effort. Man that was hard. My legs were already tired after the past few days activities. Namely, the 100 miles on Saturday, 13.4 mile run Sunday and the 20 mile bike yesterday followed by a hard 4 mile transition run. Then my PT had me doing lunges today.
But I gave it all I got and averaged 287 watts for the 20 minutes. This was a slight drop from my last evaluation which scored 296 watts. But, analyzing it, when I did the 296 watts I was much fresher. Pushing 287 watts like I did tonight on tired legs was a good performance.
After the 20 minute test we cooled down just a bit and then did another test. This one was only 4 minutes long and you are supposed to go as hard as you can for four minutes. My average watts for this was 307.
At the end of these tests I just want to faint or lie down. In the end I know how much stronger this will make me. It's all good. I think the legs get a break tomorrow.

Earlier in the day I swam in Lake Michigan and swam one mile. I worked on my new swim stroke and items I learned during my Tuesday lesson. Interestingly I took off 1:30 off my fastest 1 mile time while "just swimming." I guess reducing drag here and there really adds up. The swim took 31:39 and I look forward to working harder threshold wise and duration wise.
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 am

Nice going on everything, and good deal about finding a way to shave some time off swimming. You bring up an excellent point about swimming technique vs. pure effort. I learned to swim basically the latter way and also am having to learn to use more technique and what amounts to fewer strokes. I would think all of the saved seconds would really add up while likely saving you energy as well. You will make a great coach...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for the visit and also the nice comments about being a good coach. Kind of funny how things suddenly appear in you thought stream. I was reading someone else's web-site about coaching and the thought just clicked in my head. I read about this stuff daily and might as well use it to help others and myself.
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 am

Next week is another big day for you! Training is looking strong. I would love to see you run a marathon and crush your PR.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks kenny. Looking forward to the Racine half Ironman/70.3 on Sunday.

Hi everyone. Sorry for being AOL/MIA. Just been busy with every day stuff. The training has been going great. I've done a couple 100 mile bike rides in the last couple weeks with no problems with that distance. The first one was due to an invitation to ride with the Vision Quest cycling club. The other was on my own in the Traverse City, MI area. Both were very nice rides with Michigan being a better test with more and bigger hills.

My swimming is great. Hopefully I can redeem myself for the last poor performance in Kansas. I am still planning the swim start. As I practiced in Glen Lake this past week I reached some hypoxic levels with fast starts of 75-100 yards. This is what got me in Kansas. I am wondering if I'd be better starting moderately and then letting the pace build. I may be more conservative in Racine this weekend and start to the outer side, starting slow/moderate and once I've got my body warmed up turning on the jets. Once I get going, cardiovascuarly I am fine.

A coach/friend of mine keeps telling me to shave my legs. Then the Vision Quest cycling coach says, shave your legs.

Should I shave my legs or not??
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 am

Shave 'em!

Liz R
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:47 am

+1. Shave 'em.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 pm

I am impressed by those 100 mile bike rides.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:08 pm

It is going to take you more time to shave your legs then you will in shaving time from your race event. Then you have to continue to shave your legs because you feel that that is what got you a better time. It will become a ritual. At that point you might start wearing shorter shorts and throw out your running shoes in exchange for red pumps. Next thing you know you Friday nights are spent dressing up in your wifes favorite skirt walking around town introducing yourself as Randi (yes with an i).

Just not something I think you should put yourself through. THe visual is scary. affraid
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey Randy--saw your photos on FAcebook! Looks like you did great! Can't wait for the details!
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:51 am

Yeah, is there I race report yet? Should I look at the blog?

Liz R
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Racine 70.3 Report

Post  Randy E on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi everyone,
I am happy to say I survived another 70.3 in very challenging conditions. Sunday I participated in the Ironman Racine Half Ironman or 70.3. The event went very well.
One of my triathlon goals when I started doing these last year was to always come in the top ten of my age group, (50-54). Before yesterday I had come very close with an 11th place at the Kansas 70.3 last month. Well I am happy to report that I finally broke through and finished 9th at Racine. My overall finish was 205th of over 2000 competitors.

The short version:

Randy Egge

BIB AGE STATE/COUNTRY PROFESSION
669 51 Chicago IL USA Consultant

SWIM: 38:56, ........This included a 250 yard run on the sand to the timing mat. Actual swim 37:00

BIKE: 2:33:52....New PR

RUN: 1:50:48

Total Time: 5:10:08........New PR

Age Group Place: 9th

Overall Place: 205th of over 2000

I wrote a short report on Daily Mile that I will share below. If you want to see more detailed info on the course splits, etc., then click on the links provided. I thought it was interesting that my heart rate averaged about 140 BPM during the whole event.

SWIM

Ironman Racine 70.3 2112 yd 00:39 32:26 pace

A much better swim than IM Kansas 70.3. The actual swimming time was 37 minutes. The additional one + minute includes the 250 yard run from the water through sand to the mat. I am happy with the improvement over the Kansas swim. I stayed to the outside of the group at the start and never got touched. Then I slowly worked my way in towards the buoys as I went along. The water temperature was around 68 degrees and very refreshing. This would be the coolest I'd be during the event and wanted to cherish it. I need to "sight" more. Sighting is when you look up and forward while swimming in case you did not know that. On to the bike.....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99915632

BIKE:

Ironman Racine 70.3: 56 mi 02:34, 21.8 mph pace

I've decided to name my bike. The name is: QUEST. My goal on the bike was to average at least 21 mph and come as close to 2:30:00 as possible. I got close. The ride was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed racing this. I did not get passed much at all the whole time and in fact passed so so many other athletes. Many a "Zipp Disc Wheel" pouted as me and Quest steamed bye. Quest worked awesomely and flawlessly. The legs felt great throughout and after the fact I realize I could have pushed harder and I will during Ironman Wisconsin.
My hydration/nutrition worked well also. I drank one bottle of Carbo Pro mixed with Ironman Perform drink. This bottle contained approx 650 calories. I also drank one 24 ounce bottle of Ironman Perform, another 210 calories. The one Power Bar I ate added another 240 calories. I also grabbed a couple 24 ounce water bottles along the way from the pit stops. Lastly I supplemented with 10 Meta Salt, an electrolyte tablet. I did sweat a lot and was happy to have the Meta Salt which was replacing lost sodium and other electrolytes.
All in all I smoked the bike with a new bike PR. The transition to run was no problem as the legs felt great.
To the run.....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99915844

RUN:

Ironman Racine 70.3: 13.1 mi 1:51 08:27 pace

Getting off the bike and starting the run I realized this was going to be one hot fricken run. The Sun was out, very little breeze and the temperature was in the mid 90's. It was very intense. As many of you know I do enjoy running in the heat. But, running in the heat after biking a hard 56 miles in the heat brings a cumulative kind of heat exhaustion.
I can't imagine how some of the other runners who hate heat were feeling. Thank God when I run train I run during the hottest times of the day. This helped me immensely. The pacing was a continuous battle between, "lets go faster," to, "can't go to fast you might pass out." Along the run course there were home owners spraying us all down with their hoses. That was awesome. Also, I would stop at every water station and drink a good cup or two and also fill my hat with ice and then put the hat on with the ice in it. It did not take long for the ice to melt and coat my neck and shoulders. I also have never poured more water on myself. Jeez, what a run. The legs felt great the whole way.
When it was all said and done I finally broke into the top ten of my age group, 50-54, with a 9th place. Overall I was 205th of all 2000+ competitors. This was also a new 70.3 PR.
I give a lot of credit to the 8 other guys in my age group who finished before me. Great job under tough conditions. Also congrats to all other competitors for doing your best and having the guts to get it done.

Next up, Ironman Wisconsin, Sept 11.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99915858

Thanks for reading.

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

"It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Holy smokes Randy, you crushed that course! What an improvement in the swim and a ridiculous bike and run effort. You keep this up and you'll be racing Kona one day... Thanks for the report!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Nicely done, Randy! You just keep getting better and better at this.

Wisconsin won't know what hit them. Very Happy
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks John and Mark.

John, Kona is a dream in the back of my head.

Mark, the improvement is nice to see.
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Congratulations Randy. I can't even imagine running just a half marathon, let alone all the swimming and biking beforehand, in that weather. Very impressive.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:16 pm

Just need to say Congrats over here as well! You are awesome, Randy.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:41 am

John and Michele, thanks for the visit and comments.
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 am

Good morning.

Training continues to go great. Interestingly, with all the big mileage (swimming, biking and running) on my way to Ironman Wisconsin, my body has never felt better. Some of you may remember that I was dealing with a hip/groin issue a while back. I have still been being treated by a PT and this treatment is really starting to clear this up.

My long runs before Boston were lucky to reach 14 miles but the past few weeks I've done 17 and 19 with no issues at all. I'm so happy about this. Therapy may be over this week.

It's all coming to a peak with longer swims, bikes and runs. Only six weeks til the Ironman event. Hard to believe that in a little over 90 days I'll have done Ironman Wisconsin, Chicago Marathon and NYC Marathon. In this process RECOVERY will take utmost importance. I will have the endurance base for all these events and will just maintain my fitness.

I record all my workouts on Daily Mile and have come to really enjoy the simplicity of it and also the reports and data/record keeping the site puts out. The web-site is, www.dailymile.com. Here is a report that summarizes my last week:

http://www.dailymile.com/people/RandyE/training/last_week
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 am

Good to see read that everything is going well. Very happy to see that the groin/hip issue you were having is almost completely healed.

Must be nice to be able to run more then 14 miles without having the pain. Not long from now and you will be IM!!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:53 am

Nice job on all your training and soon to be successful races. Certainly the year of Randy! I Assume there will be a NYC Marathon 365Runner Dinner. If so I plan on seeing you there!
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Your training is looking great, Randy!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Just about time.
These are some of the things I'll think about on Sunday if I need them.

My favorite quotes:

Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction.

In order to do things You've never done before, you've got to do things you've never done before.

It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."......Erma Bombeck...This actually brings tears to my eyes.

“You have to step outside yourself, to a place where there is no pain. You go beyond the pain, to the next level, where you do things that seem impossible. There’s the spiritual part of it. You need that level of pain to get to that place; most people can’t push themselves that hard.” -Cheryl Sterns (USA 22 Times Parachuting Champion
Edit
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top